• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q3 (7/1/12-9/30/12) Hip-Hop Wrapup: Move Along Nothing To See Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

TOP FREE ALBUMS RELEASED

Sample Song
Sounds Like – The smoothest rapper and the possibly the smoothest beat maker collide to make a Vice City-esque sounding mini-album

Sample Song
Sounds Like – It's as much pop and soul as it is a hip-hop album, like if Prince tried to spit a couple of bars amidst his usual affair.

Sample Song
Sounds like - Ignorant swagtastic ratchet shit with a strong wrestling Flair

Sample Song
Sounds like - down-tempo OG pimpology

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Downtempo NY boom bap with a revivalist flair

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Conscious, melodic hip-hop with soul

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Personal and introspective hip-hop with imaginative and melodic beats

Sample Song
Sounds Like- Ignorant car banging trap rap that also dabbles hard in swaggery at times

Sample Song
Sounds Like – West-coast chilled out evening hip-hop that is somewhat purist in form

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A top-tier thug rapper branching out over melodic beats showing his range with swaggerisms and storytelling

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Earth shattering beats with the most extravagant samples coupled with a decent down-tempo non-offensive rapper

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A humorous jaded rapper airs his feelings over some smooth beats to ease the pain

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Smooth, chilled out whip music/swag stuff

Sample Song
Sounds Like – An underrated producer pairs conscious rappers with his evolved take on west-coast boom bap

Sample Song
Sounds Like – More downtempo swag with a somewhat lazy charm

Quarter One Thread
Quarter Two Thread

HiResDes

TOP ALBUMS RELEASED

Sample Song
Sounds Like –A russian influenced concept album

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Super soulful, super smooth beats couple with an abstract thinking rapper

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Grimy mid-western thug rapper experiments with southern-fried rap

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A really high-octane conscious boom bap rapper, high tier rappity rap

Sample Song
Sounds like – A broken-hearted grabs the mic and moves on over a variety of both old-school and new sounding beats

Sample Song
Sounds Like – West-coast boom bap/aggressive weed rap

Sample Song
Sounds like - Somewhat experimental and lo-fi swag/weed rap with a really dark edge

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Highly experimental, poetically conscious slow-paced rap over electronic beats

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Dilla's soulfulness with Madlib's experimentation

Sample Song
Sounds like- A mostly downtempo introspective, but not sober album with really interesting genre experimentations

Honorable Mentions: Homebody Sandman ~ Last of a Living Breed & JJ Doom ~ Key to the Kuffs

HiResDes

The retail list surprises >> than last time

Edit: Also forgot some stuff on my other one. Accidentally posted draft one.

RJT

HiRes, did you listen to the Kweli mix? I thought it was pretty solid, probably worthy of the top 15.

HiResDes

HiRes, did you listen to the Kweli mix? I thought it was pretty solid, probably worthy of the top 15.

I just listened to a bunch of things over, I was really tired last night, the list has been updated again...I also forgot that certain things were released within this timespan lol

Macca

No 2 Chainz? fuuuuck.

Going to check that Ace Hood, missed it when it came out.

That GLC is nice as hell too.

Also, man what the fuck?

20120719-SHAD.jpg

Could this guy be biting Kendrick Lamars cover any harder?

HiResDes

Control System should be #1, even it came out before.

You do realize this is quarterly and that it was indeed #2 in the last one, right?

Edit: Also thanks Peter, I figure as much, but since I started this I figure I should at least keep it going for a whole year this time.

Can't wait for the Kendrick Lamar album, most anticipated album this year

And kid cudi's album being my #2 anticipated album

RJT

Awesome: I haven't listened to the top 4 albums, and this is a three day weekend for me. Thanks gain for the effort, man!

solarus

Nice lists, always enjoy the roundups. Really enjoyed the remastered give me my flowers while i can still smell them, deserves to be high on the top album list.

PBY

Banned
Nice lists, always enjoy the roundups. Really enjoyed the remastered give me my flowers while i can still smell them, deserves to be high on the top album list.

Agreed, but it wasn't remastered, it was just mastered lol. Lazy ass blu.

Not sure why I skipped over the GLC tape or the Shad tape. Gonna fix that right now. Props for that Cigarette Boats being #1. :eek:) Shit is so smooth.

Jitters

Cigarette Boats is the best thing he has ever done. Not sleep inducing like his other stuff. I did listen to "Scottie Pippen" a shit load to hear Gibbs though.

Theophilus London is nice.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Why did I think Cigarette Boats was retail?

*downloads*

Nice lists. Too much for me to check out still.

Kusagari

Wait...Cigarette Boats is Curren$y? How did I never realize that.

Downloading that now along with some of the other stuff listed.

Kwixotik

Seconding the recommendation of "Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them"

Gonna have to check the others out, I haven't been staying on top of new releases lately. Thanks, as always, for the thread, HRD.

solarus

Seconding the recommendation of "Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them"

Gonna have to check the others out, I haven't been staying on top of new releases lately. Thanks, as always, for the thread, HRD.

Seeing how big gaf was on below the heavens (rightfully so, godamn that album was amazing) it's strange how little talk there is of give me my flowers while i can still smell them this year or last year when it released unmastered.
EDIT: Maybe the whole unmastered thing killed any fondness people had for blu anymore lol.

Kwixotik

Seeing how big gaf was on below the heavens (rightfully so, godamn that album was amazing) it's strange how little talk there is of give me my flowers while i can still smell them this year or last year when it released unmastered.
EDIT: Maybe the whole unmastered thing killed any fondness people had for blu anymore lol.

Yeah, I didn't even hear anything about it until like two days ago. The remastered version is out now though. I think it's just hard to build up a buzz for it because it's not technically a new album.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Love these threads. Keep it up.

And as always thanks for recommendations, I slept on some of these and will give them a listen when I got time.

Double D

Oh shit, that jonwayne is out? Is this the beat tape or the rap tape? I remember hearing there'd be two.

edit: I guess it's the beat tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom