• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Forge in Spaaaaaace Reveal

Vire

Gamespot Preview

Youtube HD

SPAAAAAAAAAACE

2vkit.png

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

The new environment is beautiful, the forge pieces are nice and the changes are pretty good for the forger. That said, there is nothing revolutionary here and I really can see the forge visuals getting stale fast. It definitely is a few steps ahead of Reach, but I don't see it completely avoiding the issues Forge maps have had in the past.

The option to change the color on Forge Pieces would be really nice.. Or not being locked into one theme per map so you could have a mix of art palettes.

I was hoping you'd be able to change the environment of the Forge World this time. Got so bland in Reach. But I guess they gotta get you to spend that money for their maps somehow.

IllumiNate

The new environment is beautiful, the forge pieces are nice and the changes are pretty good for the forger. That said, there is nothing revolutionary here and I really can see the forge visuals getting stale fast. It definitely is a few steps ahead of Reach, but I don't see it completely avoiding the issues Forge maps have had in the past.

The option to change the color on Forge Pieces would be really nice.. Or not being locked into one theme per map so you could have a mix of art palettes.

Looks good enough for me, there's only so much they can do with current tech. Wait for Halo 5 on the "Durango"

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
So the first one they showed was Forerunner pallet, right? This one is USNC, but I didn't expect it to be in space. Hoping the last one is Covenant, but I wonder where they will set it.

DJ88

I still love the lighting in Halo 4 so much, it looks great on this new forge environment. The last one has to be covenant themed.

Overdoziz

Banned
So the first one they showed was Forerunner pallet, right? This one is USNC, but I didn't expect it to be in space. Hoping the last one is Covenant, but I wonder where they will set it.
They've only showed the UNSC palette so far. (Except for the Forge pieces in the Grifball previews which could've been Forerunner.)

Spiders

The forge maps look a lot better than they did in Reach, the lighting really makes a difference.

The forge pieces are still way too dull though.

I'm interested to see what the community is going to come up with having all of these new options. I'm particularly interested in what can come out of the Objective Ordnance drops.

I don't understand why it's so hard for developers to get this. The space environment looks amazing but it already looks generic. Let people change the colors for gods sake. Let me create a perfect copy of a level like Chillout or Hang em High. Every level is going to look exactly the same and interest will wane very quickly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't understand why it's so hard for developers to get this. The space environment looks amazing but it already looks generic. Let people change the colors for gods sake. Let me create a perfect copy of a level like Chillout or Hang em High. Every level is going to look exactly the same and interest will wane very quickly.

Well, they have yet to unveil everything and they seem to be hinting at another palette (Covenant perhaps) so it may not be lost yet.

I think they know that people want colors, but I assume there is some technical (or pratical) reason they don't do it.

Raide

Give me loads of Man-cannons and I can finally finish Q3DM17.

Also need more updates for different Forge Objects etc, not just MP and Spartan Ops.

Gazzawa

OMG ITZ SO GRAY NOOOOOO!!!!
Lol Jk.
So Halo Wars 2 open world RTS or text based jrpg with in game purchases using real world money?

Raide

ARRRGGHHHH FFS!

Stop making objects that are locked to 1 type of Forge map. Just give us all things on all maps!!!!

Untracked

Some nice time-saving improvements in there. Hopefully it shouldn't take me 20+ hours to get a half decent map built, tested and tweaked this time.
Loving that lighting.

jediyoshi

Wow, was literally thinking in my head while watching wishing they had a way to properly snap items together and they introduce magnets. Should hopefully sort out the ocd in me while putting stuff together

Didn't watch the video nor have I kept up on changes to H4's version, but is there finally standard support for gravity settings? I want low-grav CTF remakes of Facing Worlds with Halo gameplay, damn it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Didn't watch the video nor have I kept up on changes to H4's version, but is there finally standard support for gravity settings? I want low-grav CTF remakes of Facing Worlds with Halo gameplay, damn it.

You can alter gravity settings in forge with "zones", you can alter the size so you can likely cover the whole map if you wanted to.

rakka

ouch, lighting and shadows severely downgraded in split screen :( i play split screen matchmaking with my gf almost exclusively and was worried we might miss out on the self shadowing on your weapon.

GavinGT

Banned
Certain Affinity is the go-to map pack developer for Halo, right? Did they ever play a part in Forge development in Halo 3 or Reach?

Vire

Certain Affinity is the go-to map pack developer for Halo, right? Did they ever play a part in Forge development in Halo 3 or Reach?

They did some Halo 2 maps, as well as some Reach maps for the Anniversary map pack and Defiant map pack.

B-b-but matchmaking population! B-b-but can't be done on consoles, BF3 doesn't count!

Xbox1 had server lists and i could even have my Xbox be a dedicated server in some games (like in the Rainbow Six games for example). I did it all the time and it was awesome.

Then, matchmaking came along in Halo2 and destroyed all of that.

Conor 419

Banned
Yeah, I remember Halo 1 pc where I could have CTF blood gulch marathons to my hearts content. It was social, it was fun, it was brilliant.

Yeah, I remember Halo 1 pc where I could have CTF blood gulch marathons to my hearts content. It was social, it was fun, it was brilliant.

Honestly, i see a good reason to have both so i really dont see why theyre so stubborn on this. Id use both regularly.

Often, i just wanna play a regular game in a normal playlist and most maps, and on PC for example its really hard to find servers like that as the game gets older. Theres too many 27/7 servers on one map at one point. At the same time, sometimes (as you said) i like to play something very specific all day long and on consoles, and its fucking impossible to do that, unless the playlist are done like in COD, by game-type, which helps.

sp3000

The forge tileset looks as bland as reach

I have a feeling this game's matchmaking playlists are going to be saturated with forge maps just like Reach, will essentially ruined that game's multiplayer

Top Bottom