• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Forge in Spaaaaaace Reveal

Raide

Now if only they actually put lights in that did something other than make the entire map a different colour.

sp3000

Changing colors is a next gen only feature apparently.

I cannot understand why they can't give us a few new textures to work with. Seeing the same grey texture pasted over every surface just looks terrible and destroys the entire art of the game

charsace

Xbox1 had server lists and i could even have my Xbox be a dedicated server in some games (like in the Rainbow Six games for example). I did it all the time and it was awesome.

Then, matchmaking came along in Halo2 and destroyed all of that.

People seem to forget this. RTCW had the server feature too. I don't understand why MS got rid of some of these features.

Naked Lunch

Clogging matchmaking with [ugly] custom forge maps is the worst thing to ever happen to Halo. Its lazy on the devs part - even more so that I hear theres only 9 maps or so at launch.

Clogging matchmaking with [ugly] custom forge maps is the worst thing to ever happen to Halo. Its lazy on the devs part - even more so that I hear theres only 9 maps or so at launch.

10 maps including just 1 remake, plus 3 Forge maps. After launch, 3 map packs each containing 3 maps are scheduled.

Seems like a decent amount to me.

Olivero

I'm assuming the reason the pieces are all grey is that from a pure graphics processing stand point, having all grey gives creator the maximum number of pieces available.

More pieces > color.

OrangeOak

They are lazy because they have introduced map editor in their game ?
Isn't it something that community always wants ?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
This all looks great but what's the point of Forge when the mpas won't show up in matchmaking and you can't do a custom search. Reach had 3 maps forge maps from the start and they were some of the best competetive maps out there. Will Halo 4 have custom forge maps in the playlist from day one? Halo 4 only has 10 maps but most people like 4v4 maps

spanks

Why can't they just let us edit the terrain? Far Cry Instincts on the OG Xbox did it like 10 years ago, and it had a much more diverse tileset too.

damn that looks hot.

except the plasticky looking rocks, which seems to be a problem in videogames. maybe next gen right?

kinda reminds me of probably my all time fave mp map of all time visually, ut's "facing worlds".

I'm assuming the reason the pieces are all grey is that from a pure graphics processing stand point, having all grey gives creator the maximum number of pieces available.

More pieces > color.

Well how much processing power is it to apply a simple color overlay - or instead of an overlay literally just changing its hex number.

Naked Lunch

They are lazy because they have introduced map editor in their game ?
Isn't it something that community always wants ?

Its lazy because you spend 99% of the time playing shitty custom maps instead of polished ones made by the devs themselves. Its the classic "oh, we'll have the community make the maps". How often have you played Reach? I see nothing but super garbage custom maps - especially in BTB.

Ive hated custom maps since the beginnings of online FPSs. So many shitty Team Fortress/Counter-Strike maps ive suffered thru - now its spread to the consoles.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

More pieces > color.
343 thinks they're developing for an NES confirmed.

It's like they never learned from Sandbox and Forge World. Doesn't matter how much creativity you have in structure, eventually the aesthetics get boring as fuck and every map looks the same, with map makers trying desperately to use whatever scraps of gadgets they can differentiate their maps. I absolutely cannot understand why this is still an issue, and I'm not willing to believe that their adamancy or ignorance in preserving some sort of aesthetic/art consistency is justifying stifling the creativity of map makers. Yes, colors are that serious of business.

Its lazy because you spend 99% of the time playing shitty custom maps instead of polished ones made by the devs themselves. Its the classic "oh, we'll have the community make the maps". How often have you played Reach? I see nothing but super garbage custom maps - especially in BTB.

Ive hated custom maps since the beginnings of online FPSs. So many shitty Team Fortress/Counter-Strike maps ive suffered thru - now its spread to the consoles.
So don't include a map maker because the lowest common denominator might have access to it? Terrible argument, especially when playlists are moderated by devs unlike PC and there's no custom games browser.

If people can make amazing shit like in Trials Evolution's map maker, I don't see why Halo's dedicated community couldn't craft great custom maps using something more than a really polished object placer.

Hey You

Forge is why Halo needs a custom game browser.
YES! It would have been a good opportunity for 343 to do that Bungie was so afraid of doing.

Matchmaking population goes down, so what? Make the map packs more appealing to forgers and custom goers and you'll still get sales.

I cannot understand why they can't give us a few new textures to work with. Seeing the same grey texture pasted over every surface just looks terrible and destroys the entire art of the game

Cause that would make forge too "deep" and thus, would make dlc less important.

Its sooo obvious why they keep Forge in this crippled state, they wanna sell DLC, not have users make free maps from scratch that are often just as good. Plain and simple. Anything else they say is bullshit.

If Farcry can have a deep map maker on consoles then so can Halo. Problem is, FC doesn't make the money that Halo does on DLC. So instead, we get Forge.

I hope you all like grey again. Forge to me is easily the most disappointing part of Halo4, not because its bad but because they purposely dont give it a real make over simply cause they have to sell DLC.

Top Bottom