• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some youtube dude: half of Doom 3 BFG's Lost Mission is Doom 3 maps reorganized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv1nKtRH4xE

This is a partial demonstration of how several of the new Lost Mission maps exclusive to the recent BFG Edition of Doom 3 are, for the most part, largely reused levels from the original Doom 3 campaign. The number of matching details indicate simple copy+paste work, right down to the exact soda can placement.

This video is not exhaustive. There are many, many more identical level pieces to be seen. By my best estimate, I would guess that nearly half of the "all-new" Lost Mission maps taking place in the UAC facility are based directly on previously existing Doom 3 levels with minimal modifications. The Hell levels, on the other hand, seem to be mostly unique.

More identical set pieces (WIP, more to be added):
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/6472/d3bfglobby.jpg
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6119/d3bfggarage2.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2175/d3bfgchasar.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3825/d3bfgsurfacen.jpg
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5720/d3bfgoffice.jpg
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5520/d3bfghallwindow.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8428/d3bfgbridge.jpg
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/4834/d3bfgmetalhall.jpg

Jawmuncher

Reminds me of when you're playing a Singleplayer game and then when you go to MP some of the maps there are exactly ripped from one another.

Victrix

*beard*
So, Rage underperforms, and to test the waters for Doom4 their answer is to... copy paste boring office sections as 'new' levels, release a 'new' version of the game that is worse than the old one in a variety of ways, remove Doom 3 original from online sales, and...

id, what's wrong with you?

NBtoaster

I think this was clear while playing, some areas were very similar. I don't think it's a big deal though. It plays quite differently to the original levels.
What's the problem?

Am I crazy, or do most of the Doom 3 shots look better then the BFG ones here?

BFG is a dumbed down version of the PC version of Doom 3. It features: lack of flashlight projected shadows and lower resolution textures.

yes, id had to cut down some graphical effects from an 8 year old PC game for it to run on this gen consoles.

#canyoubelieveit

Bedlam

Well, the Lost Missions are levels that were deemed not good enough, aren't they? They probably used a few shining parts of these maps for the actual game's maps. That's how development works. Nothing to get riled up about

Well, the Lost Missions are levels that were deemed not good enough, aren't they? They probably used a few shining parts of these maps for the actual game's maps. That's how development works. Nothing to get riled up about

Nope. They said this is brand new content designed in 2012. "Lost Mission" might imply this is old, discarded, content, but that's not the case, according to id.

Ban Puncher

BFG is a dumbed down version of the PC version of Doom 3. It features: lack of flashlight projected shadows and lower resolution textures.

yes, id had to cut down some graphical effects from an 8 year old PC game for it to run on this gen consoles.

#canyoubelieveit

To be fair the shadowing had to be redone because of a patent Creative Labs holds over the original 'Carmack's Reverse' code that was used in Doom 3 vanilla.

But that doesn't excuse BFG from being a gargantuan sack of shit.

Krilekk

Banned
So, Rage underperforms, and to test the waters for Doom4 their answer is to... copy paste boring office sections as 'new' levels, release a 'new' version of the game that is worse than the old one in a variety of ways, remove Doom 3 original from online sales, and...

Not id anymore. Bethesda.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching a Let's Play of BFG not too long ago, and while I was watching it, I remember commenting that a few of the levels looked very similar to those in the main game, including a couple shown in the OP.

Guess I was right.

What happened? Did Bethesda mandate the BFG edition so people would remember Doom exists before Doom 4 comes out? Did they tell id "Hey, you've gotta make a new campaign so people have a reason to buy the game every single one of them already owns"? Was there a time pressure element involved?

The more I see and hear about Doom 3: BFG, the bigger a disaster it reveals itself to be.

Bedlam

Nope. They said this is brand new content designed in 2012. "Lost Mission" might imply this is old, discarded, content, but that's not the case, according to id.
Okay, that's less okay then. I was under the impression those were levels that got cut during development.

#canyoubelieveit

they added a really good (and optional) motion blur though.

Carmack says they originally took out the flashlight shadows for performance, and then left them out because they felt it looked better without them. personally I agree that it looks better.

Doom 3 BFG looks better than Doom 3 vanilla... but nowhere near as good as Doom 3 with mods. shrug.

To be fair the shadowing had to be redone because of a patent Creative Labs holds over the original code that was used in Doom 3 vanilla.

But that doesn't excuse BFG from being a gargantuan sack of shit.

What?

That is... very interesting - can you post some link? I mean I associate Creative Labs with audio technology not shadowing. There is no point to disbelieve you by the way, I would just like to know the details of this scenario.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

#canyoubelieveit
That's actually untrue. The texture resolution was not changed, just the compression method. They are exactly the same resolution.

Also, I think you need to recognize that the "current" consoles were released not long after Doom 3 and other id Tech 4 ports to those consoles were quite poor in comparison.

The original flashlight shadows lacked proper depth in that they didn't appear to cast properly on the environment and would appear the same regardless of distance from a wall or other surface. With the new flashlight placement it may have looked even worse.

Kind of like this...

shot140.jpg
shot00025.jpg

Eusis

#canyoubelieveit
Does highlight how cutting edge consoles are never a match for a current decent-to-high end PC around at the time of release, it just holds an advantage for awhile due to specializing and that people developing for the console have no worries about being compatible on older hardware unless it's meant to be multiplatform on older systems too. Actually, I think it showed even less this generation despite having the most dramatic losses on new consoles, really does make me wonder if they'd raise the costs of next gen consoles to a gross level just to seemingly have a jump.

THEN AGAIN a lot of this is from focusing on 60 FPS. Much as I like it they may've been able to do a more faithful, genuinely better looking game if they sacrificed that goal and settled for 30 FPS.
That's actually untrue. The texture resolution was not changed, just the compression method. They are exactly the same resolution.

Also, I think you need to recognize that the "current" consoles were released not long after Doom 3 and other id Tech 4 ports to those consoles were quite poor in comparison.
I believe Prey came out OK. Quake IV, on the other hand, is a textbook example of a shitty launch rush job.

Carmack says they originally took out the flashlight shadows for performance, and then left them out because they felt it looked better. personally I agree that it looks better.

Doom 3 BFG looks better than Doom 3 vanilla... but nowhere near as good as Doom 3 with mods. shrug.

@idBrianHarris said that. :p

Metal-Geo

Am I crazy, or do most of the Doom 3 shots look better then the BFG ones here?
Do keep in mind the maps are torn apart and reassembled. Thus resulting in different lighting and/or ambient effects. But yeah, it all looks cleaner in original Doom 3.

Reminds me of when you're playing a Singleplayer game and then when you go to MP some of the maps there are exactly ripped from one another.
Which is practically the case of Doom 3's multiplayer maps. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Carmack says they originally took out the flashlight shadows for performance, and then left them out because they felt it looked better without them. personally I agree that it looks better.

I've not played Doom 3 or BFG, but I like projected shadows in Uncharted. I'd have imagined that in a game like Doom 3, the movement of shadows could add to the tension and distract you or mask enemy movement? Or were they just badly done?

I've not played Doom 3 or BFG, but I like projected shadows in Uncharted. I'd have imagined that in a game like Doom 3, the movement of shadows could add to the tension and distract you or mask enemy movement? Or were they just badly done?

They took them out for performance reasons first. Even if they would to put them in again - there is no saying what else would have to suffer. Would they hit 60 fps (on consoles) with flashlight projected shadows enabled? Who knows besides Carmack.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Does highlight how cutting edge consoles are never a match for a current decent-to-high end PC around at the time of release, it just holds an advantage for awhile due to specializing and that people developing for the console have no worries about being compatible on older hardware unless it's meant to be multiplatform on older systems too. Actually, I think it showed even less this generation despite having the most dramatic losses on new consoles, really does make me wonder if they'd raise the costs of next gen consoles to a gross level just to seemingly have a jump.

THEN AGAIN a lot of this is from focusing on 60 FPS. Much as I like it they may've been able to do a more faithful, genuinely better looking game if they sacrificed that goal and settled for 30 FPS.

I believe Prey came out OK. Quake IV, on the other hand, is a textbook example of a shitty launch rush job.
Keep in mind that high-end PCs available when Doom 3 was released could NOT run the game at 1280x720 while holding 60 fps.

Also, Prey did turn out OK, but it topped out at 30 fps and did slowdown. Quake Wars and Brink also ran decently well with a reasonably steady 30 fps. Doom 3 is the only game to target 60 fps on consoles. The engine isn't well suited to the design of the current consoles.

Ban Puncher

What?

That is... very interesting - can you post some link? I mean I associate Creative Labs with audio technology not shadowing. There is no point to disbelieve you by the way, I would just like to know the details of this scenario.

Under the section Depth Fail;
William Bilodeau and Michael Songy discovered this technique in October 1998, and presented the technique at Creativity, a Creative Labs developer's conference, in 1999. Sim Dietrich presented this technique at both GDC in March 1999, and at Creativity in late 1999. A few months later, William Bilodeau and Michael Songy filed a US patent application for the technique the same year, US 6384822, entitled "Method for rendering shadows using a shadow volume and a stencil buffer" issued in 2002. John Carmack of id Software independently discovered the algorithm in 2000 during the development of Doom 3. Since he advertised the technique to the larger public, it is often known as Carmack's Reverse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume

Carmack announced at Quakecon last year that there were licencing issues resulting from Creative Lab's hold on the patent so he essentially had to re-write the code. Poke around online and read up some more if you're interested - it's actually kinda fascinating.

scitek

#canyoubelieveit

Let's be real for a minute here, the consoles are almost as old as the game, and by and large, in its original state at launch, it probably would have bad trouble running at 30fps, let alone 60.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No one will notice or care because the entire level set is shit from top to bottom.

I mean if you really want to nitpick, I don't think they made a single new asset for the levels.

Bethesda is what's wrong with them.

Vorg

Banned
Ugh I was looking forward to playing this as it was supposed to be the ultimate version of the game. Not anymore. -_-

NBtoaster

You mean in the way it makes non-sensical use of the assets? Because the level design isn't anything like Doom 1/2

In the way you have freedom to manuever and shoot, and encounter design. The level design is linear but more open which is better (than Doom 3).

Ugh I was looking forward to playing this as it was supposed to be the ultimate version of the game. Not anymore. -_-

It is, unless you really value flashlight shadows. With the source release it'll get mod support too.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm sure Doom 4 will be an average game just because id got complacent and the passion is long gone.

Top Bottom