• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

Boerseun

Banned
Great experience, terrible game. I've never been able to see why fans of Doom 1 and 2 would be, or indeed were, satisfied with what id delivered in Doom 3.

thelastword

Banned
I was just checking Doom 3 and Quake 4 on steam, and now, I get to play them with trophies on the PS3, cant wait. ID I also need a Quake 4 Port.

Bioshock reminded me a lot of doom 3.

Maybe it was the combo of shitty gameplay + audio logs.

Still this is a really weird thing to announce. If it came with a demo for Doom 4 I might bite.

Proc

If the graphics (rendering and lighting) are much more improved outside of a widescreen hack that is easily done then maybe its worth keeping on my radar.

I'll be buying this for sure. Never had a good enough PC back in the day to take full advantage of the game, and the Xbox version was awful in comparison.

Looking forward to this, haven't played Doom in years.

Also for some reason this comes up with google image search for Doom remaster so I'm going with it.
tyXSG.jpg

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Amazing.

Raptomex

I may have to check it out. What's been changed?
I think just new levels and shit they added but the original game is still there. It's a flawless port that works on PC. PC controls, you wouldn't know it's a 64 game. You need a wad file from Doom or Doom 2 I think meaning you need a copy of one of those games. But the files for Doom 64 PC port are free. I believe it's called Doom 64: Absolution.

I think this is the link (I can't actually view it at work)
http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-download.html

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Nothing. It's a flawless port that works on PC. PC controls, you wouldn't know it's a 64 game. You need a wad file from Doom or Doom 2 I think meaning you need a copy of one of those games. But the files for Doom 64 PC port are free. I believe it's called Doom 64: Absolution.

Doom 64 EX is the one you want. Absolution is a really half-assed port. The lighting in particular looks completely different.

Just be aware that you (legally) need an actual D64 cart to dump the rom and play EX, but it's worth the hassle.

King_Moc

Banned
I never actually finished Doom 3, so msystem give this a go. Hopefully the visual upgrade is fairly significant.

I think just new levels and shit they added but the original game is still there. It's a flawless port that works on PC. PC controls, you wouldn't know it's a 64 game. You need a wad file from Doom or Doom 2 I think meaning you need a copy of one of those games. But the files for Doom 64 PC port are free. I believe it's called Doom 64: Absolution.

Cool, thanks for the info.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Which I do have legit. I'll have to check it out. I never had any issues with Absolution, though.

Yeah, Absolution is perfectly fine if you're happy with a reasonable facsimile of the game, but if you actually want to play Doom64, EX is the way to do it.

Pachinko

Hard to believe this game is like 8 years old already... I still haven't finished the regular version of it. I even downloaded a fan patch to make it work in 1080p. Something about it that makes me lose interest a few levels in.

Raptomex

Yeah, Absolution is perfectly fine if you're happy with a reasonable facsimile of the game, but if you actually want to play Doom64, EX is the way to do it.
WELL THEN. I guess I know what I'm doing when I get home. Thanks. I never heard of this until now.

Suairyu

Banned
Included duct tape mod? Great. Even the game's damn publisher doesn't get why the "gun or flashlight, not both" piece of design was to the game's credit, not detriment.

Pachinko

So.... any improvements to the PC version? (in concern to the visual graphics)

There's a trailer at gametrailers , it doesn't look any different to me , although I'd imagine it's just been optimized to work at 1920X1080 or higher as well as supporting the new wave of 3d gaming. Remember, prior to this the only way to play it on console was the Xbox edition, which while impressive that it got crammed on there was not ideal. It was equivalent to 640X480 with low to medium details on the pc, ran at a slightly choppy 30fps too.

Now , I'd imagine the console versions will support 720p 30 fps 3d modes or 1080p 60fps 2d with no real visual improvement outside of maybe better shadows? Who knows.

Ranger X

If Doom and Doom 2 are good ports with a buffer for changing weapons (to the opposite of the shitcock XBLA versions), I will buy this day one.

Draft

It would be awesome if they took the DOOM 3 tech and used modern computing horsepower to build a real DOOM game with it. Huge open levels, dozens of enemies in each fight, etc.

Raptomex

Day 1, but from the looks of the trailer, the "remastered" graphics seem pretty much the same to me :/
Yeah. I thought it was just a trailer of the original game for some reason. Just to tell us a remastered version is coming? But if that's what we're expecting then...okay. I'm very happy about the flashlight thing, it was ridiculous I couldn't have a gun and flashlight out at the same time and thank god for checkpoints.
It would be awesome if they took the DOOM 3 tech and used modern computing horsepower to build a real DOOM game with it. Huge open levels, dozens of enemies in each fight, etc.
Serious Sam. Painkiller = what Doom 3 should have been.

bengraven

I'm excited! Doom3 is severely underrated.

Will be buying day 1. Since I got a capable computer a few years ago, I've been considering rebuying it anyway.

Included duct tape mod? Great. Even the game's damn publisher doesn't get why the "gun or flashlight, not both" piece of design was to the game's credit, not detriment.

Having to choose really does increase the tension, and fit perfectly with Doom 3's "horror shooter" vibe. I'm not surprised though... people wouldn't shut up about it at the time.

I'll probably get this, but I wish it was a "Quake pack" or something.

Raonak

Banned
Ill buy it. if not just for Doom 1 and Doom 2 on my ps3.
doom 2 is my favourite fps.

Would be cool if they just released the final levels or whatever as DLC or something.

BigDug13

I'm already playing Doom 3 again...it's called Doom 64 EX. Never liked the real Doom 3 and the old 64 version felt like the true sequel to the classic design.

DOOM 1 and 2 are some of the greatest games ever made and despite the flashlight bullshit, looking back, doom 3 seems ahead of its time. Can't wait to try it.

iamcenok

Own for PC, will double dip for this

Edit: I hope Co-op stays intact. Would love to play with a friend.
I had fun playing it on Xbox back in the day.. seeing the slight changes from PC to Xbox was neat.

Raptomex

I'm already playing Doom 3 again...it's called Doom 64 EX. Never liked the real Doom 3 and the old 64 version felt like the true sequel to the classic design.
I enjoy Doom 3. But it doesn't feel like a Doom game in many ways. It's scary at first but gets very repetitive. After about 15 minutes you realize an enemy will always be jumping out of the shadows or around the next corner. And Doom 64 was just severely underrated by reviews and is truly a great game.

Oemenia

Banned
Wasnt there an enhanced port of Quake 4 announced. Of all the old-school shooters this gen, its by far my favourite. Non-stop action with none of the bloat that older shooters suffered from. Excellent pacing as well as great weapons that were all useful from start to finish.

Raptomex

Wasnt there an enhanced port of Quake 4 announced. Of all the old-school shooters this gen, its by far my favourite. Non-stop action with none of the bloat that older shooters suffered from. Excellent pacing as well as great weapons that were all useful from start to finish.
I heard Bethesda is re-releasing that as well.

Top Bottom