• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Beaulieu

question time ; i recorded a cut a video on the xbox, saved it, shared it.
is there anyway to access that video on the web so I can brag ?

anyone knows ?

Man I see a lot of negativity on here but the MP is the best since halo 2 by far for me.
And I only started the SP (maybe 2 hours in) but I think it's 1000 times better looking than the other halos, and very fun so far. My only complaint so far is the SpecOps mission where you cannot die ? Whats the point ?

soldat7

Remember when Forerunner architecture used to be sleek, elegant, and ominous in its visual simplicity? Yeah, not anymore. Makes my eyes bleed.

Honestly this game puts me in the mood to play Vanquish.

This so much. I was playing slayer last night on Haven and my wife says, this isn't Halo. What do you mean? It doesn't look like halo, it looks like it's supposed to be Vanquish. I understand what she meant, it's a beautiful clean futuristic environment, and I was using thrusters. It's a good thing all the same.

Edit: sausages, thanks auto correct

Rev3rb

Remember when Forerunner architecture used to be steak, elegant, and ominous in its visual simplicity? Yeah, not anymore. Makes my eyes bleed.

NewYorkStripSteak.jpg

So fucking delicious

No region filter in matchmaking. Fuck my life.

Does anyone know if this is coming? I want to be able to prevent matching with Europe and/or US as my Australian Internet struggles and I fail miserably. I would also like the ability to avoid New Zealand, it's like they have Internet from the future that allows them to drop 3 shots on me before I see them.

Got through the first mission on solo Legendary, was pretty damn tough, how tough is the rest of the campaign compared to the first mission?

I've only beaten the first four levels on legendary but so far the first level was way easy compared to the next few.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow.. The characters in Forward Unto Dawn are 300x more likable than the ones in ODST and Reach.

Loved the film. Could cut out about 30 mins in montages but it was great.

Izayoi

Banned
They gave the lower-level Covenant bigger frames and heads... so that it's easier for us to shoot them! It's people! Soylent 343 is people!
They did that, and then they also made the Watchers and the Crawlers, which are fucking annoying to deal with on any difficulty, especially Legendary. Knights are great, but please tone down the Watchers and Crawlers next time around. (Especially the Binary Rifle Crawlers - who thought that was a good idea?)

Trey

They did that, and then they also made the Watchers and the Crawlers, which are fucking annoying to deal with on any difficulty, especially Legendary. Knights are great, but please tone down the Watchers and Crawlers next time around. (Especially the Binary Rifle Crawlers - who thought that was a good idea?)

Their aim sucks. The BR Knights are formidable shots, though.

MACmm.png

Very rough study idea for revising Crawler heads. I think a big part of the disorientation is that everything we've seen Forerunners use that are mechanical nature (meaning actual Forerunners get a pass) is that they usually only have a singular eye or node or whatever at the center of their frame, and then 4 introduces us to all sorts of two-eyed machines. They also made the mandibles utilize very basic geometric shapes instead of the intricate "layered" bodies of Forerunner enemies. In this concept, the "eye" would double as the actual point of fire. Really, Forerunner sentries shouldn't even need eyes given the vast array of security/observation systems on Requiem that could stream them any combat data they needed. Anyway, the bottom lists a few possible ideas for heads.

Basic Unit (Boltshot) - Rounded head, permanently closed "mandibles." Maybe one or two floating parts off to the side.

CQC Unit (Boltshot Alt. Fire) - Similar to Basic Unit, but the mandibles will open up and glow brightly, warning the player that the Crawler is charging a shot. These types are also more tackle/charge-friendly.

Alpha Unit (Suppressor) - bottom-right illustration shows a general idea. More floating, glowing pieces permanently in place around the head as well as multiple "eyes." This would also be the justification for the higher rate of fire, as more nodes = more bullets.

Sniper Unit (Binary Rifle) - See bottom-right and bottom-mid for a basic example. This one would have much more protection around the head which would open up into an almost Promethean Knight-styled headdress, which would glow a deep crimson revealing it was about to fire a Binary Rifle shot. Pieces could always move or flutter around the head following a shot or to possibly indicate a warning.

Rather than add all sorts of ridiculous pieces onto the Crawler, using colors would make more sense given existing Forerunner motifs. You could just do something simple like Bronze - Silver - Gold for Promethean ranks, or change the colors of the bodies/weaponry. Go Red - Orange - Yellow - Blue - White or something. Star colors.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's awful :[

I got scared and just did chapters 1-5 solo. At least the legendary achievement for that is out of the way too.

I might be crazy, but enemies seemed smarter in spartan ops. Also I did the little side story so far.

Finished with all the story content now. Tomorrow I'll dive into some competitive MP.

Every time there is a Banshee parked for us to pick up...

ackbar.gif

These things are plasma magnets in Halo 4. In every part of the game where one is made available, I'm taking fire within 2 seconds - usually less - of getting in. I'm fairly late in the campaign - climbing very tall towers - and the game turns to hell instantly if you touch the thing.

Just like the last time one was parked there, all innocent like.

Haha, this most definitely. The end lever with it is a bit easier since you can just dip below the ground and fight there, but earlier on it's definitely a trap.

Haven't played a Halo game since 3, and I'm having a ton of fun with multiplayer so far. If anyone wants to play some team slayer add me on XBL. My gamertag is ValentineMSmith.

New composer for Halo 5 please. The music is just so forgettable for the most part. The song I'm listening to on the mission
SHUTDOWN
sounds like someone doing a mic check and then it repeats. Ugh.

Izayoi

Banned
Their aim sucks. The BR Knights are formidable shots, though.
Not on Legendary it doesn't. I'll be taking cover, peek out for just a fraction of a second, and get vaporized. Happens way too often, and it makes fighting big groups of them a slog. Jackal Snipers that randomly headshot you are making a return from Halo 2 as well, and they're just as annoying as they were back then. Hopefully they're both gone from Halo 5 (I know they won't be).

tigerin

are there something wrong with the killcam in this game? i swear i load off a whole round on people and all they had to do were turn around kill me instantly, at times it wasn't even aimed at me.

Havok

are there something wrong with the killcam in this game? i swear i load off a whole round on people and all they had to do were turn around kill me instantly, at times it wasn't even aimed at me.
It's just super inaccurate and buggy, watching your theater film would probably give you a better idea of their actions, though you can't see it from their first person view.

I'm not sure how the feature shipped in the state it's in.

Community thread is gone? Kill me.

So sad to see people criticize a strong, excellent sandbox, something Halo has lacked for a while. People crying for nerfs makes me cry.

StuBurns

Banned
Hi gents, I'm probably missing something stupid but can you change your multiplayer guy from outside of game lobbies? I don't want to try and do it while the game is match making me.

I've only played three games, but I'm surprised they're able to match make me with other practically thumbless warriors. Of course there's a huge user base, but I expected most people to be pretty amazing from day one.

EDIT:NM, found it.

Flunkie

Banned
Hi gents, I'm probably missing something stupid but can you change your multiplayer guy from outside of game lobbies? I don't want to try and do it while the game is match making me.

I've only played three games, but I'm surprised they're able to match make me with other practically thumbless warriors. Of course there's a huge user base, but I expected most people to be pretty amazing from day one.

EDIT:NM, found it.

press start

EDIT:NM, you found it.

Honestly this game puts me in the mood to play Vanquish.

v

This so much. I was playing slayer last night on Haven and my wife says, this isn't Halo. What do you mean? It doesn't look like halo, it looks like it's supposed to be Vanquish. I understand what she meant, it's a beautiful clean futuristic environment, and I was using thrusters. It's a good thing all the same.

Edit: sausages, thanks auto correct

Yuppp lol

It's just super inaccurate and buggy, watching your theater film would probably give you a better idea of their actions, though you can't see it from their first person view.

I'm not sure how the feature shipped in the state it's in.

I always just assumed it was the auto aim.

FroJay

Banned
I've only beaten the first four levels on legendary but so far the first level was way easy compared to the next few.

Oh boy, I was hoping it wouldn't be too tough solo but it sounds like I'm in for a tough one. Thanks for the info, I'm hoping to do two more levels tomorrow.

My last 5 objective game have been decided by which team had more players.

I don't think it would work. The maps are too big in this game.

I don't like it either. Care to elaborate though?

It is my least favorite map, it feels like a cod map where you just get a position and hope someone walks in your line of sight or walk around and get torn apart from every angle. Most of the match is spent looking down the scope of a DMR in that map.

I was searching an infinity slayer with 2 other friends, so there's 3 of us. We find a match in progress. I get put on the other team with 2 other people, against my friends who have a team of 4 and they're already winning.

And not being able to switch my grenades while having an ordinance is so stupid

Complex and Haven are my two favorite maps.

Then I have Adrift and Solace as my two least favorite

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I gotta agree, Vortex and Complex are looking like the worst maps to me.

Meltdown has far too much cover, but it's fun and has a lot of variety in it.

GolazoDan

Been playing the hell out of multiplayer, not done much single player since I figure that's more fun in co-op? GolazoDan if anyone wants to have a game (just send me a game request if I'm online), only playing on normal so it'd be a piece of piss for most of you. Only on the third section too.

I'm not very good at the multiplayer but, like Call of Duty multiplayer, that's not really ruining it for me. I get a few kills in, I die a lot and I have fun. Mostly seems to be Team Slayer on Haven but I've tried all the game modes (except that last one, Slayer Pro or whatever) and presumably most of if not all of the maps. Suck something fierce at Regicide (played it on Complex) but King of the Hill on Haven was hilarious, especially when the hill's on the top level in the middle. People launching themselves at that one area from 4+ points, chucking grenades into the same box. Enter at your peril.

Did Spartan Ops with randomers which was okay. Dunno if I should have expected more than SHOOT THE ENEMIES but eh. I've not fought the Knights or the flying Prothean enemies yet in campaign so that was a new experience at least. Got that achievement for a R vs. B easter egg on the fourth Spartan Ops mission and I have no idea what the hell happened. I think I fell through the floor and warped back to the beginning of the level.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't like it either. Care to elaborate though?

It mostly stems from the issue of the DMR in that everybody on the map uses it and if you don't then you're at a severe disadvantage. It then comes due to people camping camping and taking potshots across the map. Due to the nature of the map being so open in areas, people can hit you far far back and you won't ever see them and it's also extremely easy to get double or triple teamed thus making individual encounters damn near impossible at times. Also the nonexistent respawn times means that you could kill someone and they could spawn far back and shoot right at you due how open and flat it is.

In short every match turns into a big DMR campfest.

Top Bottom