• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keita Takahasi's (Katamari guy) next game exclusive to LA Game Space Kickstarter ($5)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lagamespace/la-game-space-a-place-for-re-imagining-video-games

LrC7l.png

"Keita's making his next game exclusively available on our Kickstarter! It will work with Windows, Mac, and Linux!"

You can also get 30 games for just $15

h0nC6.gif

9yNpC.png

"Everyone listed above is generously creating a new game and donating it to this Kickstarter because they believe in making LA Game Space possible."

---

More info about LA Game Space Kickstarter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypc0RA3w6RM&feature=player_embedded

We are creating a place for discovering the potential of video games. The Space is in Los Angeles, but everyone online will be able to participate in our talks, workshops, and exhibitions. All of our programs are open to anyone in the world.

LA Game Space is a nonprofit center for videogame art, design, and research. It is a place for game innovation, education, and exhibition; where all of us can play and make and study and showcase games.

Our galleries will host large-scale EXHIBITIONS, interactive installations, performances, and retrospectives that can only be achieved at a space like this. We will be sharing catalogs, exhibition documentation, and the conversations surrounding gallery events online for everyone's benefit.

Our SPEAKER SERIES will feature new dialogues with both traditional and nontraditional game-makers. Our WORKSHOPS will introduce newcomers to the medium and explore new processes and perspectives with experienced creators. Events will be archived and available (for free) online. They will also be livestreamed, and a moderator at the Space will enable worldwide, remote participation.

RESIDENCIES are the beating heart of the Space. The residents will be creators from diverse backgrounds working collaboratively to create experimental game projects. LA Game Space will provide residents with work space, exhibition opportunities, and feedback from an equally diverse group of bright minds. Our goal is to free residents from the limitations often presented by commercial game development.

GAME RESEARCH LABS will enable live gameplay recordings including useful metadata such as button presses, pulse rate, face-tracking, and eye movement. These recordings will be made available online for researchers worldwide. The lab will also provide access to a wide variety of platforms and devices—both historical and contemporary—and support experimental hardware and interface projects.

We've been working on this project for over 3 years. Now, after thoughtful planning, building an amazing network of supporters, and finding the perfect location—we need your help!

CorySchmitz

Its like TED Talk for videogames!....so its GDC?

There will also be classes, artists (devs/designers/artists) in residence, and will pretty much generate a ton or rad stuff, year 'round.

And you still get tons of stuff for backing it.

$50 is something like: 30+ games, 2 or 3 shirts, a huge poster, and a zine or two? Of the top of my head.

pantsmith

The last game he was working on (Glitch) just closed down, so you should help him keep making cool stuff.

Is this the same guy who quit the gaming industry to do his passion? (making playgrounds or something, I forgot)

He lost a lot of creative energy working at Namco Bandai, working under suits. Consider that he only made two of the Katamari games, one of which he ever wanted to make (signs would point to We <3 Katamari being the trade off for making Noby Noby Boy), and there are now 10 entries in the series.

I'd probably want to make a playground too if I was forced into that kind of environment.

sn00zer

Man...I REALLY hope its not a bunch of indy developers who made like one or two games and are giving talks on "reinventing games"...then show a game with either 8bit graphics or minimal graphics....like squares...to prove their point

jbartee

Just pledged at the $55 tier. Numbers need to quadruple over the next two weeks for the project to get funded. This things NEEDS to happen. Jump on this gaf, the rewards are ridiculous even if you don't care about the space itself.

Never really got into the Katamari series but I contributed to this Kickstarter, anyway, for some of the other games by people (Cactus, Steve Swink). Doesn't look like it's going to make it, though.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's starting to pick some steam up but it needs a faster pace in order to reach its target, almost half way there

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Well now. Here's a kickstarter worth backing if I ever saw one. The potential for discovering new avenues of game design is well worth $5, not to mention the game you get too! And for 10 more you get 30 additional games created (I think) with experimentation in mind. Surely there will be something interesting in there. I may go in for $55, O'Malley needs to upload his shirt design first.

The thread title doesn't put enough emphasis on what LAGS (LA/GS?) is, but I thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All the rewards are great because clearly theyve tracked down a whole slew of "those names" that will get people interested, but the actual plan of making some non-profit Game Design and Production school out of a random LA Warehouse and funding that throughout the years is fucking terribly under-thought. Or is it just a place they intend to ditch after one term of...?

A cheap grab-bag of prototype games I guess, but a terrible actual project.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
All the rewards are great because clearly theyve tracked down a whole slew of "those names" that will get people interested, but the actual plan of making some non-profit Game Design and Production school out of a random LA Warehouse and funding that throughout the years is fucking terribly under-thought. Or is it just a place they intend to ditch after one term of...?

That is kind of an issue. But I figure if they can keep it going for at least a year there would still be some worth there.

Thores

I'm really not too sure how well these guys are going to be able to pull off the execution, but conceptually this is a great idea. Plus, 31 brand-new games for $15 is a fucking ridiculously good deal, so I'm in. It's gonna be a pretty huge bummer if this doesn't reach its goal.

I wish you guys were in not only for the Keita Takahashi stuff since how helpful and awesome this thing is going to be longterm. I'm glad though if you support at all.

I've been prepping something similar but in Miami, FL for years but have it on hold while I'm working on my masters.

You're purely making assumptions here. There's a large number of ways of longterm for this to stay funded. In fact product coming from this place will be stuff people actually buy, unlike most warehouses.

I don't even care what the game is, I will buy anything Keito Takahashi throws at me.

Hell, I bought the Noby Noby Boy iphone app, I might as well buy this.

geebee

Banned

Yep.. I think there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions for the people who are willing to put down the $5.. do you really know what you're giving your money to? Hell, I'm in San Jose.. but even driving to LA to play some protype games is a bit of a stretch.. and Katamari Damacy and Noby Noby Boy are some of my favorite games of the past 5+ years...

Corto

Keita Takahashi? Done. This needs too happen, such a great idea needs to come to fruition. Let's do this.

Top Bottom