• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Ethernet Adapter

EDarkness

Anyone know of a good USB ethernet adapter I can use for the Wii U? I'm considering wiring all of my game systems up and figure the Wii U should get the ethernet treatment as well. I see that there are a lot of different adapters on Amazon, but I'm curious which is worth looking into. Any help would be appreciated.

EDarkness

Is the official Wii one 10/100? I saw one the other day that was 10/100/1000, and I was wondering if that would be worth getting.

A few of us in the Wii U launch thread noticed the Wii and Wii U are both faster with Wi-Fi than with the LAN adapter. At least for us, anyway.

Using the web browser on the Wii U to do a speed test, I get ~6mb/s download with the LAN adapter and ~12mb/s with a wireless-g connection.

On the same website my PC gets ~25mb/s (using wireless or ethernet). So either way the Wii U isn't using the connection's full bandwidth.

Is the official Wii one 10/100? I saw one the other day that was 10/100/1000, and I was wondering if that would be worth getting.

USB 2.0 is only 480 mb/s. It's not possible for it to do gigabit. It's not like you are going to have an internet connection that fast anyway.

EDarkness

So there's nothing to gain by using ethernet at the moment? Hmmm... I always feel better with ethernet to be honest, but maybe I'll have to re-evaluate what I'm going to do.

Reallink

What kind of speeds do you guys see on the U browser using Testmy.net (one of the only non-flash based I'm aware of)? I only seem to pull half speeds Vs. my wired PC and I'm not sure if the browser's just incapable of running an accurate speed test or if the Wifi signal is weak for some reason (I'm only 10' from the router).

Resilient

Fucking lol at that website, was not expecting that. OP, with Nintendo it's always best to go official.

Wow, you can still buy a transfer pak for the 64 from that website...

miknein

Banned
What kind of speeds do you guys see on the U browser using Testmy.net (one of the only non-flash based I'm aware of)? I only seem to pull half speeds Vs. my wired PC and I'm not sure if the browser's just incapable of running an accurate speed test or if the Wifi signal is weak for some reason (I'm only 10' from the router).

FYI: I got 1.9Mbps on my desktop PC just now. Got 89Mbps on SpeedTest.net (flash). So... yeah :-D

The official adapter is stupidly slow. It's 5 to 10 times slower than WiFi for me. I'm really disappointed. Avoid at all cost for now.

Reallink

FYI: I got 1.9Mbps on my desktop PC just now. Got 89Mbps on SpeedTest.net (flash). So... yeah :-D

Yea, their servers aren't always up to snuff like Speedtest.net, but I'm talking multiple off-peak back to back tests with your PC and U pad on the same site and same server. My results don't line up, U pad is slower by a wide margin. Just trying to trouble shoot whether it's my Wifi signal or if the U's browser can't run the test accurately.

EDarkness

wait wait. Wii u doesnt have ethernet?

The info I get from the system every day is hilarious (to me).

The Wii didn't have it either, so no biggie. I just wanted to go ethernet this time and since I have a bunch of USB ports I don't see in any harm in it. But if the speed isn't fast using ethernet, then it's not worth it.

Let's hope this is a facet of the still a bit unfinished Wii U software and will get fixed with time. Otherwise, we both wasted money on an useless network adapter :/

I don't know if I have any hope left. The original Wii is a few megabits per second faster over Wi-Fi too (though both Wi-Fi and ethernet are slower on the Wii than the Wii U). I don't know if it is some issue with Nintendo's software or what. It's disappointing in any case.

I don't know if I have any hope left. The original Wii is a few megabits per second faster over Wi-Fi too (though both Wi-Fi and ethernet are slower on the Wii than the Wii U). I don't know if it is some issue with Nintendo's software or what. It's disappointing in any case.

I honestly don't expect Nintendo to do anything about this and it annoys me. I never realized it with the Wii since I barely used it, but I expect to use it more here. It was only obvious to me when Amazon wasn't showing up in HD which I thought was odd given how fast my connection is. This really irritates me because I hate WiFi with a passion.

EDarkness

Let's hope this is a facet of the still a bit unfinished Wii U software and will get fixed with time. Otherwise, we both wasted money on an useless network adapter :/

I don't know why they would throttle speeds on the Wii U, especially when we're talking about downloading 20GB files. You'd think for the customer experience they'd make sure we could get the fastest speeds possible. Either way, I'll order the official one and give it a shot.

Wii U over WiFi
bandwidthplace.com: 7.3 Mbps down
testmy.net: 7.8 Mbps down

Wii U over Ethernet
bandwidthplace.com: 5.1 Mbps down
testmy.net: 3.4 Mbps down

What.

For comparison's sake: Laptop over WiFi
bandwidthplace.com: 10.8 Mbps down
testmy.net: 11.3 Mbps down

So yeah, don't use the ethernet adaptor unless you don't have wifi.

sfried

I just used my Wii's ethernet LAN adapter on the Wii U. As simple as that.

I might buy another one just so I can have my Wii on my room.

alf717

I get 16Mbps from VDSL.

Ethernet got me 1Mbps with multiple tests and 6Mbps through WiFi. Going to run some more tests.

tenchir

What's the latency though?

The lower speed could be the result of overhead processing done through a USB connection compared to the integrated wifi that's designed with the system in mind.

Medalion

Banned
Bandwidthplace.com is really really off in measurements I think

It said my upload speed was twice as fast as my plan's upload limit

Bandwidthplace.com is really really off in measurements I think

It said my upload speed was twice as fast as my plan's upload limit

I don't think they're totally accurate, but I think it's kinda telling in comparing the numbers against each other though. For me, I'm getting 1.5 to 2.0mbps for ethernet, 10mbps for WiFi and then 15mbps for my PC. SpeedTest tells me I get 17.5mbps for my PC. I also know I can't get an HD signal through ethernet for Amazon Instant Watch. I think the site is good enough to tell that there's a problem.

I've got the same one I bought for Wii U. It worked right away (no setup) and has yet to give me any issues.

Measure your speed vs WiFi. You'll find out it's slower.

Top Bottom