• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 Cross-Controller DLC hits next Tuesday, Dec. 18 ($4.99)

The DLC announced awhile back letting you basically use the Vita as if it were a Wii U tablet controller for LittleBigPlanet 2 comes out Tuesday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/12/littlebigplanet-2-cross-controller-pack-out-next-tuesday/

This excerpt makes it sound like this won't be the last game to do Cross-Controller.

December sees yet another awesome addition to LittleBigPlanet 2 — the Cross-Controller Pack — making LittleBigPlanet 2 the first game to support this exciting new feature!

But what is Cross-Controller? Well, Cross-Controller lets you to use PS Vita as a controller for PlayStation 3, allowing the use of PS Vita-only features, like front and rear touch, in PlayStation 3 games. More importantly, it provides a whole second screen where action can take place! This allows for an unimaginable number of new ways to play, some of which you’ll experience with the LittleBigPlanet 2 Cross-Controller Pack!

I know many people think it's simply copying the Wii U, but in all fairness, the Vita has a slightly different feature set than the Wii U Gamepad (lacks clickable analog sticks and second set of triggers/bumpers, but has rear touch and a rear camera).

So what do you guys think? Is this a worthwhile route for Sony for the near future to try and "copy" the Wii U? Or is the cost of admission (buying a Vita and PS3) too much to entice people other than those who already own both consoles?

fernoca

Keeping an eye out.
Street Fighter x Tekken and Ultimate MvC3 can be played with a Vita as a controller. So...I guess in here you might even see the game in the screen since they claim they're the first.

I say copy the Wii U all you want, Sony! Let's have some Wii U/PSV3 cross platform games from third parties while we're at it.

I could see some very possible backlash from consumers if they start designing games that require such an expensive "accessory." $50 PlayStation Moves are one thing, but $199 (or higher) Vitas?

Keeping an eye out.
Street Fighter x Tekken and Ultimate MvC3 can be played with a Vita as a controller. So...I guess in here you might even see the game in the screen since they claim they're the first.

Huh, really? I had no idea about those games.

And yeah, it says it is a "second screen experience," and you interact with it similarly to playing the actual LittleBigPlanet PS Vita.

I could see some very possible backlash from consumers if they start designing games that require such an expensive "accessory." $50 PlayStation Moves are one thing, but $199 (or higher) Vitas?

Oh yeah. Well... at the very least it could be a thing like say, FIFA on Wii U has all that cool UI in the gamepad. They could implement it on PS3 as well IF you have the Vita, but if not it's just normal. Something like that?

(I guess the flaw in this example is that we're talking about EA)

Oh yeah. Well... at the very least it could be a thing like say, FIFA on Wii U has all that cool UI in the gamepad. They could implement it on PS3 as well IF you have the Vita, but if not it's just normal. Something like that?

(I guess the flaw in this example is that we're talking about EA)

That's more along the lines of what I'm thinking too. However, I did forget that the Vita does not have clickable sticks, nor a second set of triggers/bumpers.

That may hinder Cross-Controller games.

Welp. Hope you guys like it! :O

I'm looking forward to it! I love that the LittleBigPlanet games have helped usher in nearly every new technology that Sony created this generation, and in a great way! I loved the Move DLC, and I'm sure I'll enjoy this.

Can you say an approximate length or amount of levels included?

JeTmAn81

I actually have a Vita and LittleBigPlanet 2 (a disc copy even, not just the free PS+ version!) so maybe I will try this out. Definitely interested in more cross-controller stuff, even though it must inevitably appeal to a limited market.

Oppo

Very curious to try it out.

I've often thought that the Vita and Wii U can sort of support each other in a sense, for developers anyways, as they can target a dual-screen design to both of those platforms if they are so inclined.

Of course, not many Vitas out there.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Keeping an eye out.
Dunno about SFxT, but UMvC3 requires having both a PS3 and Vita copy of the game.
I believe the idea of "Cross-Controller" means just having the PS3 version of a supporting game.

daoster

I will buy this, hopefully it'll be good.

Maybe Sony shouldn't necessarily copy the WiiU, but i would rather see the PlayStation 4 controller with a Vita like interface than a move controller...

Hope you guys like it! :O

Hey man, I've been meaning to tell you forever that I think all the Tarsier DLC content is top notch. I haven't played LBPV yet, but I did recently get caught up on the Move and Muppet packs and I was shocked at how good the level design was. I really think they exceeded the original MM content in a lot of places.

Hey man, I've been meaning to tell you forever that I think all the Tarsier DLC content is top notch. I haven't played LBPV yet, but I did recently get caught up on the Move and Muppet packs and I was shocked at how good the level design was. I really think they exceeded the original MM content in a lot of places.
Well... Mm handled Move and Supermassive handled Muppets. ^^

Duffyside

Banned
Don't you need some new piece of hardware to play this, besides the Vita and PS3 I mean? Weren't they selling some little "Cross-Whatever" box at E3?

Takuan

The DLC announced awhile back letting you basically use the Vita as if it were a Wii U tablet controller for LittleBigPlanet 2 comes out Tuesday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/12/littlebigplanet-2-cross-controller-pack-out-next-tuesday/

This excerpt makes it sound like this won't be the last game to do Cross-Controller.

I know many people think it's simply copying the Wii U, but in all fairness, the Vita has a slightly different feature set than the Wii U Gamepad (lacks clickable analog sticks and second set of triggers/bumpers, but has rear touch and a rear camera).

So what do you guys think? Is this a worthwhile route for Sony for the near future to try and "copy" the Wii U? Or is the cost of admission (buying a Vita and PS3) too much to entice people other than those who already own both consoles?

I have no problem with Sony copying this particular feature. It's a good one to have.

It's bone-headed to charge for it, however.

No, just PS3, Vita and a copy of LBP2.
"Just", he says! :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find the fact they're charging for this to be a huge joke.

Also, whoever said Remote Play's issues were "fixed" has to be joking. I'm guessing this will run fine because it's probably a specific app, but Remote Play on its own is still terribly laggy.

Slermy

Awesome! Too bad I don't own a Vita yet. I'll be sure to grab this when I do though.

Anyone know when the cross-buy costume stuff is supposed to work? My Sack person in Karting wants his old clothes back.

Yup I can do off screen play of PS All Stars Battle Royale really far away from my PS3.

Can't play NSMBU outside on my patio.

Wii U, lol

whitehawk

Banned
I'm surprised Playstation All-Stars doesn't support this feature. It's the perfect game for it. I only have 1 PS3 controller so it would be handy for me.

Well I just so happen to have a PS3, a Vita and a copy of LBP 2, so I guess I should check this out. The showing at Gamescom looked entertaining enough.

Bought. It's not just some software patch, levels were designed, music was composed ... ;) Hope it's good.

As for someone who worried about lag, for the stuff that has separate Vita screen space things I imagine tge vita is rendering rather than receiving a stream, so then it's as lag free as using the dualshock.

Top Bottom