• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 TV Show of the Year Voting Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
*Rules*

- Each person makes a list of up to 10 entries. No more than 10, please. Their #1 will get 10 points, #2 will get 9 points, #3 will get 8, and so on.

- Editing is permitted for as long as the thread stays open.

- Add descriptions for each show, and some of them may be included in the results thread!

- After voting ends, I will compile a single list based on the established point system.

Sample Ballot

You don’t have to follow this format strictly, but it will make the thread a lot easier and avoid any complications. Thanks!

1. TV Show A ; Your thoughts on TV Show A.
2. TV Show B ; Your thoughts on TV Show B.
3. TV Show C ; Your thoughts on TV Show C.
4. TV Show D ; Your thoughts on TV Show D.
5. TV Show E ; Your thoughts on TV Show E.
6. TV Show F ; Your thoughts on TV Show F.
7. TV Show G ; Your thoughts on TV Show G.
8. TV Show H ; Your thoughts on TV Show H.
9. TV Show I ; Your thoughts on TV Show I.
10. TV Show J ; Your thoughts on TV Show J.

Eligibility

Any TV new series, any new season of an existing series, or new miniseries that premiered in 2012 is eligible.

TV Movies, Foreign series, Reality series, and Documentaries (e.g. Frozen Planet, Human Planet) are all eligible.

Here's a list of 2012 TV shows for reference.

Voting will end on January 7.

Here's a link to last year's voting thread - NeoGAF TV Show of the Year! Cast your votes!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Critic's Picks

Alan Sepinwall - TV Top 10 of 2012

1. Mad Men
2. Breaking Bad
3. Parks and Recreation
4. 30 Rock
5. Girls
6. Louie
7. Luck
8. Treme
9. Parenthood
10. Homeland

Maureen Ryan - Best TV Shows Of 2012

American Horror Story: Asylum
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Girls
Louie
Happy Endings
Homeland
Mad Men
New Girl
Parks and Recreation

Emily Nussbaum - MY SO-CALLED TOP-TEN LIST

"30 Rock" and "Girls” and “Mad Men” and “The Good Wife” and “Homeland” and “Happy Endings” and “Parenthood” and “Breaking Bad” and “American Horror Story:Asylum” and “Portlandia” and “Suburgatory” and “Parks and Recreation” and “Raising Hope” and “Dexter” and “Louie” and “Always Sunny In Philadelphia” and “The Middle” and “Archer” and “Don’t Trust The B” and “Children’s Hospital” and “The Hour” and “Episodes” and “Game of Thrones” and “Treme” and “Doctor Who” and “Bunheads” and “Switched at Birth” and “LA Complex.”

James Poniewozik - Top 10 TV Series

1. Parks and Recreation
2. Louie
3. Homeland
4. Breaking Bad
5. Mad Men
6. Girls
7. Game of Thrones
8. Parenthood
9. American Horror Story: Asylum
10. The 2012 Election (this counts as a series?)

Mike Hale - Favorite TV Shows of 2012

1. Sherlock
2. Southland
3. Louie
4. HBO Documentaries
5. The Killing
6. Adventure Time
7. Dexter
8. Moyers & Company
9. Homeland
10. The Good Wife

AFI - TELEVISION PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR

American Horror Story: Asylum
Breaking Bad
Game Change
Game of Thrones
Girls
Homeland
Louie
Mad Men
Modern Family
The Walking Dead

ivysaur12

Banned
1. Breaking Bad
2. Happy Endings
3. Mad Men
4. Game of Thrones
5. Parks & Recreation
6. Girls
7. 30 Rock
8. Southland
9. Justified
10. Homeland

Best new broadcast drama: Nashville, but it's not there yet.
Best new broadcast comedy: Goon.
Best new cable drama: Hunted aka #11 on this list
Best new cable comedy: Girls
Most improved show: American Horror Story
Worst revival: The Killing
Most overrated show that's going to do well: Modern Family
Worst new drama: The Firm, Booty & the Beast
Worst new comedy (and worst show of the year): Work It!
Biggest F-U I Love This Show and It Was Great But Canceled So I'm Moving On But Hi Stump: Kyle Killen's Sublime Awake
Worst Sophomore Slump: Suburgatory, Homeland
Best Boon Year: Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23

And no, I'm not caught up on Louie or Boardwalk Empire, therefore, no Louie or Boardwalk Empire.

Dabanton

1. Boardwalk Empire ;
2. Mad Men ;
3. American Horror Story: Asylum;
4. Game of Thrones ;
5. Breaking Bad ;
6. Strikeback ;
7. ;
8. ;
9. ;
10. ;

TripOpt55

Are we doing it where the second half of last season's network seasons don't count because given that we do these at year's end it makes no sense and makes it so the second halves of network shows will never factor into these awards which seems silly. Or can we factor in those second halves as long as they had a new season this Fall? I'm asking because I think that is how it worked last year or am I mistaken?

Samuray

1. Game of Thrones
2. American Horror Story: Asylum
3. Breaking Bad
4. Fringe
5. SouthLAnd
6. Falling Skies
7. Sons of Anarchy
8. Tremé
9. Supernatural
10. Homeland

Snake

1. Mad Men
2. Breaking Bad
3. Boardwalk Empire
4. American Horror Story: Asylum
5. Game of Thrones
6. Spartacus: Vengeance
7. Damages
8. Strike Back
9. 30 Rock
10. Homeland

Will probably edit once I finish a few other shows.

Fry

1. Breaking Bad
2. Homeland
3. Dexter
4. Sherlock
5. Louie
6. The Walking Dead
7. Justified
8. Game Of Thrones
9. Go On
10. Suits

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
  1. Breaking Bad
  2. Louie (Dat season finale)
  3. Game of Thrones
  4. 30 Rock

smr00

Banned
1. Justified
2. Southland
3. The Walking Dead
4. Sons of Anarchy
5. Game of Thrones
6. Breaking Bad
7. Archer
8. Homeland
9. Dexter
10. Louie

1. Boardwalk Empire
2. Treme
3. Luck
4. Breaking Bad
5. Justified
6. Game of Thrones
7. Louie
8. Its Always Sunny
9. Girls
10. Sons of Anarchy

I haven't seen Mad Men season 5 so I cant really rank that, and I still need to watch 'Witness' the Michael Mann produced 4-part HBO documentary series on war photojournalism

ezekial45

Banned
1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones
3. Boardwalk Empire
4. Dexter
5. Shameless
6. The Walking Dead
7. Louie
8. Parks and Recreation
9. Girls
10. Sons Of Anarchy

EDIT: Seriously? Am I the only one here that watches Shameless?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Are we doing it where the second half of last season's network seasons don't count because given that we do these at year's end it makes no sense and makes it so the second halves of network shows will never factor into these awards which seems silly. Or can we factor in those second halves as long as they had a new season this Fall? I'm asking because I think that is how it worked last year or am I mistaken?

The second half of last season's seasons don't count, no. It's not the ideal way of doing things, as the network series are split between two years, but if we held the Best Of's in the middle of the year, the result would be the same - but with the cable shows suffering instead of the network shows.

So, for instance, Community wouldn't be eligible this year because season 3 was counted last year and season 4 is next year. Modern Family season 4 would be eligible, but not the second half of season 3 because the first half of season 3 was counted last year. etc.

Again, it's not ideal - but you can't have the same season being eligible for two years and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to nominate Happy Endings season 2 part 2 and season 3 part 1 as TV Show of the Year - but this is what the critics do, and after all, it's just for fun. :)

1. The Walking Dead - I didn't expect to love this season so much after season 2, especially more than Breaking Bad, but the pacing was turned up to 11 and I loved every minute of it.

2. Breaking Bad - It's breaking bad.

3. Dexter - Best season since 4, the last show to get my heart pumping like that was BB.

4 Parks and Recreation - Such a loveable cast of characters.

5. Young Justice- I think I like this show better than the Justice League, and the fight scenes are amazing.

6. Legend of Korra - Season finale was disappointing but it's another entertaining cartoon with great animation.

7. Game of Thrones

8. Girls

9. Key and Peele

10. Modern Family

x. Homeland probably would be on the list if it didn't completely fall off a cliff halfway though season 2.

x. Boardwalk empire put me to sleep twice, I get slow builds but holy shit.

1. Sherlock
2. Doctor Who
3. Justified
4. Person of Interest
5. Psych
6. Leverage
7. Merlin
8. Go On
9. Arrow
10. Eureka

Let me know if any of these are ineligible according to the rules. Will add descriptions a bit later.

Nobility

Banned
1. Boardwalk Empire
2. Person of Interest
3. Parks and Recreation
4. Breaking Bad
5. Mad Men
6. Justified
7. Homeland
8. Louie
9. Southland
10. Dexter

1. Breaking Bad
2. Mad Men
3. Louie
4. Archer
5. Luck
6. The Walking Dead
7. Justified
8. Awake
9. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
10. Eureka

Xilium

1. Game of Thrones
2. The Walking Dead
3. Spartacus: Vengeance
4. Suits
5. Alphas
6. True Blood
7. White Collar
8. Arrow
9. Merlin (UK)
10. The Daily Show with John Stewart

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
1. Breaking Bad
2. Luck
3. Justified
4. Game of Thrones
5. Veep
6. Archer
7. Boardwalk Empire
8. Louis
9. Childrens Hospital
10. Treme

I'm pretty comfortable with that list. I'm very close to putting Luck in the number one spot. That was a great show, something very special.

Blader

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones
3. Mad Men
4. Louie
5. Boardwalk Empire
6. Sherlock
7. Dexter
8. New Girl
9. Homeland
10. Parks and Recreation

Sec0nd

1. The Walking Dead
2. Breaking Bad
3. Dexter
4. Game of Thrones
5. Homeland
6. Suits
7. Fringe
8. How I Met Your Mother

I'm sure I'm forgetting some and the other could very well be somewhat different. The Walking Dead was/is amazing though.

anaron

1. Breaking Bad
2. Louie
3. Parenthood
4. Veep
5. 30 Rock
6. Mad Men
7. Adventure Time
8. Bunheads
9. Dexter
10. The Walking Dead

Did not expect the last two to ever make it on here. As heavily flawed as they still are, I really enjoyed watching them this season.

Gravity Falls
pone S3

The only two 2012 TV shows I've watched and enjoyed this year.

Well, that and some anime from 2010/2011, but those weren't "new" for 2012, unless you count the English localization and purchasing them from US stores on disc to make them 2012 releases.

The life of a manchild who doesn't watch anything live action.

Eric Hall

1. Breaking Bad
2. Parks and Recreation
3. Treme
4. Boardwalk Empire
5. Louie
6. Justified
7. Archer
8. Happy Endings
9. Girls
10. Hunted

1. The Good Wife
2. Once Upon a Time
3. Top Chef
4. Dowton Abby
5. Project Runway
6. The Dust Bowl
7. A Game of Thrones

And thats all I got....

Dr Prob

Banned
wiki synopsis said:
High on morphine, Todd mistakes a small teddy bear for Hudson, Alice's former boyfriend, whom he rightly suspects of trying to win her back. Desperate to make it to La Molecule before Hudson, Todd steals a test tube of toxic spores on the way.

1. The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
2. Counting up all these votes seems like work. Thanks for doing it. Not sure if my #1 is even eligible, but if it is--10 points!

Empty

1. mad men ; not the most imaginative choice but it's still amazing. i reckon this season was weaker than the last few but i loved how it captured the changing sixties as they turn into the decade we know by reputation and how the characters find their place in it. also peggy is my favourite character on tv and it's so much fun to see her grow.
2. louie ; hilarious but i love it for the dramatic stuff really. his honest, heartfelt portrayal of dealing with life's challenges resonates with me so much. in awe of what he does in twenty minutes of tv and the places he's willing to take his show.
3. luck ; i thought this was super effective at immersing me into a world of horse racing and gambling that's completely alien to me and making me feel like i understand it by the end. the horse racing scenes are shot in a magical way that almost makes me want to start following the sport irl and the deliberate pacing slowly reveals rich characters. shame it was cancelled.
4. breaking bad ; very tight and well made half series. with walt reveling in his pure, unquestioned villainy, exploring the consequences of that made for amazing television whether in the pulpy heists or the terrifying scenes with skyler.
5. the thick of it ; the first half of the series was a bit messy despite being incredibly entertaining with its dialogue, but it really comes into its own when it start to parallel the recent phone hacking scandal and the finale is full of perfect character moments.
6. parks and recreation
7. legend of korra
8. veep
9. girls
10. sherlock

- haven't seen boardwalk empire. haven't seen treme. haven't seen justified. haven't seen game of thrones. haven't seen walking dead.

1.*** Person of Interest
2. Game of Thrones
3. Once Upon a Time
4. Castle
5. American Horror Story: Asylum

Castle and Once flip sometimes

Arment

1. Breaking Bad - I never feel more tension and suspense from watching a tv show than I do from Breaking Bad. This season was no exception.
2. Game of Thrones - Changes from the book aside this show is spectacular to watch. I find the changes surprisingly nice sometimes because it gives someone like me who has read the books something too.
3. The Walking Dead - Vastly improved over the previous seasons. Each episode is almost like a finale. The second half of the season remains to be seen.
4. Fringe - Will be dearly missed, but it's going out with a bang...
5. Sons of Anarchy - The cameos alone made this season amazing. With at least 2 seasons left I wonder what direction the show will take to remain interesting and at least mildly plausible but whatever, it's intense tv.
6. Boardwalk Empire - The weakest of the three seasons in my opinion and definitely a slower burn than usual but the payoff was worth it yet again.
7. Dexter - With only one more season left the writers have finally started to give us everything we've ever wanted. Feels good.
8. Luck - Answering the question of how many horses do you have to euthanized due to accidents while filming to get cancelled. This show was phenomenal. Deserves to be higher. But it's cancelled and I have to let go.
9. The Borgias - If these guys were running Game of Thrones we'd have ourselves a new tier of television greatness. This season was a thriller from beginning to end and I only see The Borgias getting more and more thrilling.
10. Mad Men - A lull from last season although those who hung around were rewarded with great drama.

Honorable Mentions:

Parks and Recreation
Newsroom
Doctor Who
Louie

1. Parks and Recreations
2. American Horror Story: Asylum
3. Mad Men
4. Girls
5. It's Always Sunny
6. Breaking Bad
7. Psych
8. Regular Show
9. Bob's Burgers
10. Louie

Ceebs

1. Veep
2. Parks and Recreation
3. Bunheads
4. True Blood
5. Doctor Who
6. Castle
7. 30 Rock
8. Psych
9. Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23
10. Scandal

Scandal and Elementary flip from time to time in that 10 spot.

Ros8105

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones
3. Boardwalk Empire
4. Sherlock
5. Parks and Recreation
6. Dexter
7. The Walking Dead
8. Louie
9. Doctor Who

Bladenic

1. Mad Men - Still and always the king.
2. Parks and Recreation - Remains the best sitcom.
3. New Girl - S2 has been bereft of flaws.
4. 30 Rock - Still funny.
5. Nashville - Best new show this year imo
6. Happy Endings - Hilarious show.
7. Arrow - Getting better.
8. Don't Trust the Bitch - It's aight.

Not ranked cuz it mostly sucks - Mindy Project

And that's all I can judge on, I been watching other shows but mainly playing catch up. I don't think I'm forgetting anything, and if I am, then obviously it sucks.

feezel

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones
3. Boardwalk Empire
4. The Walking Dead
5. Louie
6. The Newsroom
7. Homeland

-Stranger-

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones
3. Boardwalk Empire
4. Mad Men
5. Dexter
6. Homeland
7. Justified
8. Treme
9. The Big Bang Theory
10. The Walking Dead

Munin

1. Strike Back
2. Game of Thrones
3. Hunted
4. Breaking Bad
5. Mad Men
6. American Horror Story
7. Last Resort

Haven'T seen much else.

Special award for worst case of driving a quality show into the ground: Homeland
Special award for "Holy shit is this fucking dumb": Homeland
Special award for most annoying characters on TV: Homeland

Servbot24

Banned
1. Breaking Bad
2. Mad Men
3. Louie
4. Adventure Time
5. American Horror Story
6. Game of Thrones
7. Workaholics
8. The League