• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q4 (10/1/12-12/20/2012) Hip-Hop Wrapup: The Qualm Before the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

TOP FREE ALBUMS RELEASED
Sample Song
Needle Drop Review
Sounds Like – Odd Future doing a MF DOOM impression over dark Brainfeeder electronic beats

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Trap raps over wonderfully varied production with nonsensical yet highly charismatic lyrics.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Deep and dark boom bap, the audible version of black panthers snorting cocaine

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds like - The audible version of kush and cheesy retro exploitation flicks

Sample Song
Sounds like - Wiz going back to his trap swag rap roots rising above the comfort of Amber's smiles and snuggles.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – High Octane and hi-swag shit, with monumental earth-shattering beats...BASED PHAROAH SHIT

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Coke raps in the Vatican while watching Scarface

Sample Song
Sounds Like- Emotional hip-hop with minimal yet moody and atmospheric overtones

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Smooth southern soul rap with moody tones and braggadocios yet self-aware lyrics.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Weed laced with dust rap over bassy melodic beats, the shit that had Smokey so excited

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Picture Kendrick Lamar on his backseat freestyle shit but rapping over much better beats, braggadocios yet tongue-in-cheek

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Dark southern trap featuring an off-kilter melodic rhyme spitta with a deeply southern fried delivery

Sample Song
Sounds Like – The hippest most rumpshaking midi beats featuring the most hip hippest rappers out right now

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Extremely catchy swagged out rap without downtime or any inconvenient "real" moments, ratchet and dirty without any consequences

Sample Song
Sounds Like – The iced out trashier caucasian version of the BASEDGOD, THROW YO RICE OUT!

Quarter One Thread
Quarter Two Thread
Quarter Three Thread

HiResDes

TOP ALBUMS RELEASED

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like – An extremely cohesive concept album following the growth of a good kid in a mad city, which pays homage to the heyday West-Coast rap while also looking forward

Sample Song
Sounds Like – No frills east-coast gangsta rap with an understated style reminiscent of the early ground-layers

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Grimy mid-western thug rapper with a raspy voice, banging beats, and hype ass features...TURNT UP

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Murderous and paranoid schizophrenic rap with a dark, sadistic atmosphere

Sample Song
Sounds like – A high octane southern rapper occasionally shows depth and an ability to weave intricate storylines in between the usual trap rap affair

Sample Song
Sounds Like – West-coast gangsta rapper continues off from the religious/sacrilegious themes off the late Kanye West and Meek Mill.

Sample Song
Sounds like- Post-apocalyptic southern grime featuring a paranoid rapper and electronic-influenced beat innovators

Sample Song
Sounds Like – The Kimbo Slice of Boom Bap, that multi-syllabic jaw-breaking slap rap.

Sample Song
Sounds like - Ferocious middle-eastern influenced assassin rap by one of the most pissed off rhyme spitters to ever grace the industry.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – One of the grimiest east-coast thug rappers left still doing it says fuck growth and brings that 90s coke rap back with mostly success

Honorable Mentions: MHz Legacy

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No Detroit?

iH50KyKwppEyq.gif

EDIT: Much appreciated, HRD.

That Illz was dope as fuck. My first Illz album and I was blown away, so damn good. The backpacker in me orgasmed.

RJT

Disappointing quarter as far as mixtapes go. Duality was the only high point for me. "Rare Chandeliers" disappointed me a lot. A step down from "Blue Chips"...

Never heard a French Montana tape, will give it a try.

What is their best release in your opinion?

*His. The Illz is one dude, breh.

But if you enjoyed The Darkest Hour, check out The Pursuit LP. I wanna say I liked that one a bit more. Very similar dark/atmospheric production, heavy sampling use, etc. If you like that, check out the :03 From Gold ep, and In Between Video Series. Not much altogether, but all of it is quality.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
*His. The Illz is one dude, breh.

But if you enjoyed The Darkest Hour, check out The Pursuit LP. I wanna say I liked that one a bit more. Very similar dark/atmospheric production, heavy sampling use, etc. If you like that, check out the :03 From Gold ep, and In Between Video Series. Not much altogether, but all of it is quality.
Cool, thanks!

Jitters

My problem with M&C3 was that I felt like I had heard it millions of times before. Its not absolutely terrible or anything, just nothing to write home about. It just exist.

Definitely check The Pursuit. I completely agree about the dark atmosphere, its incredible.

That ignant shit in the list is pretty damn dope. Will download quite a bit. I wasn't a big fan of Rare Chandeliers. But still Bitch I Deserve You is so good.

Will listen to the new Riff Raff too. That White Silk Pants is dope.

Jitters

HiResDes, Do you have an alternative download link for the Hot Sugar mixtape? When I get it from that site, I can't extract the files for some reason. Same thing happened when I tried to download it in the hip-hop thread.

solarus

The illz tape is fantastic, if you haven't heard him before I greatly recommend listening to the pursuit as well.

CRS

Never thanked you for this properly.

Thanks.

Also, BSBD at #7 with it just being out yesterday? Damn.

Fjordson

Will never be able to get on the Kendrick train, but some other great stuff in here. I totally forgot about Mic Tyson and that Vinnie Paz record, need to check them out asap. Also liking this J NICS album a lot.

RJT

Only one album this quarter will make my top10. Fortunately it is much better than anything else, so good quarter for me.

goodfella

Damn, just checked out that Captain Murphy - he's Flying Lotus!?

Wow, I hate that it took me until this thread to find out about this.

goodfella

Yeah, I'll have to retract that previous statement about this years music. I haven't been following as much as I used to. Which is why these threads are amazing, so thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom