• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Journey. Want to hear a story?

Journey is a trip. After all the Game of the Year accolades it's been getting, I figured it was time for me to see what all the fuss is about (also helps that it was recently on sale).

I think everyone is aware by now that, yes, it's a very, very pretty game, but what surprised me was actually the co-op component. I didn't even realize it HAD one, so imagine my shock when I suddenly saw another sand-surfer appear alongside me. It took only a moment to distinguish it as another human being as opposed to an NPC or AI character. There's no way to communicate either by voice or PM, yet the two of us still found a way to interact with movement and "singing". It was all very organic.

So I spent half the game with this other person adventuring with me, until he/she suddenly vanished. It happened right after this really energetic sand-surfing sequence...once the high of the moment had worn off, it suddenly hit me that my companion was no longer there. Simply vanished. A void by my side. I looked around everywhere, waited, sang dejectedly into the empty space, and eventually accepted that we somehow got split up and lost each other. It was startling how lonely I suddenly felt.

A bit later, another person did show up. I could tell instantly it was someone new by the different way he/she moved and acted, and obviously by how this person looked (waaay longer scarf and neat designs on the cloak). This person had clearly been playing this for a very long time and knew what to do, guiding me along efficiently and with a much clearer system of "singing". Interpreting what he/she meant somehow felt really clear and intuitive.

The highlight moment of this game for me (minor spoilers ahead) was this part where we had to stealthily sneak across this area with giant sand worms floating above us, patrolling with their natural spotlights. When we first entered the area, my companion and I ran directly under this cover structure. He/she stayed underneath it, while I brazenly ran forward, not realizing the spotlight was coming this way. My companion tried to warn me with repeated quick bursts of song notes, but while I stood out there in the open, trying to figure out what the person was trying to say, the sky suddenly turned red and the gravity of the situation instantly dawned on me. The huge, hulking sand worm had spotted me and came crashing down, dragged me along for a bit, then tossed me aside. It snapped my scarf. The scarf I've been building up all this time. Ruined. Back to square one. I was broken-hearted as I laid there in the sand. I refused to move or get up. My companion stood in silence. Watching me, clearly understanding how devastated I must be. He/she chirped once. Then again. Then ran over to me and jumped around, trying to get me back up and going.

Eventually I did, but I was still really bummed about what happened, not realizing it was actually being subconsciously conveyed in the way I was playing. I wasn't cheerfully bouncing around, swerving, and chirping like I usually was, and instead just droned on straight ahead, silently, with the occasional yelp to acknowledge I understood what the person was trying to direct. We've been moving along for a bit, me following right behind, until we suddenly stopped in our tracks. I didn't know what was up. I stared at the person, who had turned around to look at me, and waited for him/her to continue on so we can just finish up this journey of ours and get it over with. He/she suddenly started exuberantly singing and circling around me, jumping about and getting that ridiculously long scarf caught on me. At that moment, it hit me that my companion actually detected how I was feeling with my changed actions, and was trying to cheer me up. And it worked. Astounded by this little revelation, I responded by dancing along and we continued on, merrily.

Then another tragedy struck. I don't really understand how, but I accidentally found myself in another spotlight. The place went red again with impending doom. But the sand worm wasn't after me...it turned its attention and veered towards my companion instead. In that split second realization, I chirped in panic to alert him/her, then tried running into the giant sand worm's path, trying to get its attention back on me and make it come after me instead. It didn't work. My companion went flailing. His/Her lovingly-crafted scarf, long clearly thanks to much time and effort, snapped. In tatters. And all my fault. The sight of it hurt me more than my own previous mishap. Would my companion blame me? Would he or she be dejected? Would I be abandoned? These thoughts raced through my head, but before they even had time to really solidify, my companion already sprang back up almost immediately. Pranced around and sang to let me know everything was fine. The relief I felt...it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

We got back on track and continued on our journey with what felt like a new understanding. It made that final stretch (again spoilers) of trudging through the snow, fighting our way to the cold top of the mountain, that much more impactful with all we've been through together. When we fell seemingly dead in the snow, I wasn't even disappointed. Our shared journey up to that point left me no regrets, we had our highs and lows, we did our best. I would've been content had it ended there. But then to be revived and experience that final surge to the top, that was magical. It was the perfect cap to this wholly unique experience, one that completely surprised and overwhelmed me with its emotion and human element.

It might not be my favorite game of the year, but I have a feeling my memory of it, all the emotions it evoked, will stay with me far beyond anything else I've played in 2012...or most any other year for that matter.

I hope at least one of the developers sees your post, even though they've probably seen many similar reactions. I never get tired of reading these.

Excellent post. I think everyone who's played Journey's had experiences like that. I remember how helpless I felt when the companion I was with got ambushed by one of those serpents during one of the underground stealth sections, and how lost I felt when one of my other companions (who clearly wasn't the exploring type) rushed ahead without me, ditching me without a single peep.

Persona7

Banned
Wow, the multiplayer was the only thing people talked about when it was mentioned, it even had a multiplayer beta.

Mesoian

Wow, the multiplayer was the only thing people talked about when it was mentioned, it even had a multiplayer beta.

It's subtly is impressive. I think the most interesting thing about the game is when it lists all the people you played with and it's almost always more than you thought it was.

The story your mind tells itself is something I've never experienced in a video game.

It's subtly is impressive. I think the most interesting thing about the game is when it lists all the people you played with and it's almost always more than you thought it was.

The story your mind tells itself is something I've never experienced in a video game.

I was so happy to SEE the list. I just thought I'd never know them ever. I PM'd all of them saying "Hey I played Journey with you!" and stuff like that. I was just so happy to see them. It's like they died and I reunited with them in heaven

aceface

I played this today for the first time and finished it. Does the "multiplayer" consist of anything more than just running next to each other? I gathered that you can also charge up each other's scarves for jumping, are there practical applications to this mechanic, ie you can reach spots with another player's help that you would not be able to reach otherwise? Are there secrets? I got a few of those glowing glyphs. Anyways, the game was beautiful and the music was awesome. I wasn't disappointed. Even my 6 year old was enthralled watching me play.

CatPee

Missed out on it at the sale price since I thought the PS Store was going to update today instead of yesterday :(.

Apdiddy

I played and beat it today although I feel like I'm missing something -- basically, I had a similar experience as OP but I would stop to look for collectibles
hidden scarf pieces, the items mentioned in the trophies
while my partners would run on ahead or chirp at me in frustration.

And I actually yelled a bit when my scarf got torn up too.

The game is a beautiful game and absolutely gorgeous. For whatever reason, parts of it remind me of Prince of Persia (2008).

85879.jpg

I was so happy to SEE the list. I just thought I'd never know them ever. I PM'd all of them saying "Hey I played Journey with you!" and stuff like that. I was just so happy to see them. It's like they died and I reunited with them in heaven

This.

I didn't know that the list would be coming up when I first played it, but I was pretty sure that I spent my whole journey with the same person (which turned out to be correct). The possibility that I might never ever know who I just bonded with for the last 2 hours or so, that I couldn't say "Thanks!" or "Goodbye!", made a big impact on me.

While the credits were rolling, I was overwhelmed by emotions of joy but also loss: the end of a journey, with no possibility for an afterword. This clearly resonated with the way I think about the finite nature of life and how human beings can relate to each other.

When everything was over and I suddenly discovered that I would be told who I played with after all, all sense of loss was suddenly gone. I wrote the guy a message, received one back. That made my day. I still don't believe in an afterlife, but Journey managed to make me see, for a tiny little moment, what it would feel like to discover it - also on a human level.

Great game!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Definitely the most emotional game I experienced in 2012. The Walking Dead is another one, but I think Journey felt more personal.

It really touches your emotions in a way that other games simply don't bother to try. I think Ico, SOTC, TWD, and Journey are 4 video games that really made me feel something beyond the visceral adrenaline pumping that many other games strive for.

Me and my wife were practically in tears at the end of Journey. Even replaying it 4 or 5 more times still affected me emotionally.

I only played journey once the day it came out and never touched it again. not because i didn't love the game, but because i thought the game was such a special experience i didn't want to do it again for a while.
losing my scarf to the worms underground was a bitch, gliding through dunes and guiding/helping someone felt awesome (so many little things in that game) but the thing that got me most attached to that game and made me almost cry out "noooooooooo!" was almost at the end where you have to traverse a section when the wind isn't blowing or else you're thrown to a lower level.
I played with a few people throughout the game but i was sticking with the same person for the last sections but i got careless and got sent to a lower level. meanwhile the game tells you where the other person is by giving some kind of glow to the edge of the screen if i remember correctly so i started singing like crazy to try and tell him "i'm okay, there's a passage here, keep going, i'll meet you up top!" i saw him moving and heard a few chirps, but eventually he vanished. i was really bummed.
I then went through the last section of the game alone and couldn't stop thinking about my partner. the ending was pretty powerful and got me letting out a few tears too.
and that's why journey is one of my favorite games of 2012.

FreeMufasa

Sounds like it'll be 2012s a chilf of Eden for me,

Did Sony develop this game? Really wanna play i but don't got PS.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I did enough playthroughs that I got the white robe.

On my white robe playthrough, and I managed to stick with my companion for the entire length of the game.

On the very last stretch of the game, when we're slowly walking towards the light at the top of the mountain, our movements were so in tune that we were literally doing our chirps SIMULTANEOUSLY. We were in absolute perfect rhythm in our song for about 10 chirps.

vg260

Can't bring myself to pick this up. Flower was meh to me. I'll play it (and Unfinished Swan) when they come to Plus. Hopefully sooner than later.

pleunv

Journey isn't just a game, it's a magical and emotional experience, probably one I'll still remember 10 years from now. It's really crazy how much of an impression such a short game can leave behind.

I've only finished it once, and even though I really want to I just can't get myself to start a new playthrough because I think it wont be able to even come close to my first one.

Anony

i just played it now
i got to the snow mountain, and i somehow glitched into the mountain and got stick inside :|
i'm guessing i'm at the last stage/lvl too

Can't bring myself to pick this up. Flower was meh to me. I'll play it (and Unfinished Swan) when they come to Plus. Hopefully sooner than later.

I absolutely hated flower yet found Journey to be one of the best gaming experiences of 2012.

Brick

I felt the exact same way about Flower. I didn't see anything that was impressive about it and certainly didn't get what everyone else saw in it. That being said, Journey is, by leaps and bounds, my game of the year.

Tookay

I just beat it today.

I have to say, I'm sort of disappointed. There wasn't really a... game there. And the "experience" wasn't really enough to make for the lack of mechanics either.

It was decent and I'm glad I played through it but the GOTY stuff is totally baffling.

I just beat it today.

I have to say, I'm sort of disappointed. There wasn't really a... game there. And the "experience" wasn't really enough to make for the lack of mechanics either.

It was decent and I'm glad I played through it but the GOTY stuff is totally baffling.

It's not baffling at all. An entirely unique, creative, and allegorical interactive experience is something this industry rarely sees. It's GOTY because it deserves it.

I also played it recently and while I know exactly what you're talking about, I can't say that I was at all moved by the game. I knew what it was doing and the parallels it was drawing all that. Maybe it's because I don't have an imagination but I saw all those things in a matter-of-fact way it was like water off of a ducks back. It's kind of like Lego, I could build a castle then bounce whereas someone else could do the same thing and put little people inside it and play with it all day long. The Lego pieces aren't inherently magical, that's up to the person. In the same way, Journey isn't a magical experience by design, 'you' made it so. Sure there was more craft put into it to facilitate that feeling but, how well it works is incredibly subjective.

It was very pretty though

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've said that I'm going to play this for so long now... I think Danielsan is probably going to end up killing me if I don't play it soon :(!

Edgeward

I wished I payed attention to my partner's symbol. I wanted to friend that person after our journey. We met as we were riding the sands near the end when it shifts to a side view and it showing off one of the more beautiful scenes I've ever witnessed. Before then I met others along the way but none of them wanted to follow. They either stood still or wanted to go some other way.

At first, we were also going in different directions. The other getting caught up in collecting a symbol he had missed that I had alertly gotten. And I tired to help but the platform is simply too high and once missed it seemed you couldn't go back and get it. But soon enough, we were making sure never to leave each other side.

The moment as we ascended the tower and I had moved along to ride the creature, only to not see my partner when I turned out. That was the first time I felt distraught and unable to progress without the other. Previously I felt no problem in leaving and going my way if the other didn't want to head the same as me. But that moment I could not do it here. I chirped and chirped trying to follow the white light at the edge of my screen, hoping to see where my partner went.

Fortunately, I had found my partner floating upwards several stories below. I didn't think. I jumped off the creature and joined my partner to ascend along together.

We got through everything, figuring things out as my partner didn't seem to know what was ahead like me. But, we never then moved in opposite directions. If one felt strongly to move one way, the other would without a concern. There was a trust born somewhere and so soon.

By the time we had crossed to the end and woke up, my partner was nowhere to be found. But the sheer joy of the final ascent was too great, too freeing that I thought that this must be something we need to have by lonesome. And I believed somewhere, at the same time, my partner was ascending along with me in a weird way.

I was joyful and amazed at the connection I had with a stranger, whom I never knew the name. I wish I did.

Qwell

I picked it up myself when it went on sale and beat it over the holidays. Game was amazing for me, very emotional, the grammy was definitely warranted. I`m only sorry i didnt pay full price. I even sent a tweet to Jenova Chen thanking him and his team.

Uraizen

Banned
I just beat it today.

Sounds about right.

ronito

Yeah I remember finishing it with someone else for the first time. I got all teary-eyed and then at the end I saw the name DickButz99 or something like that.

zethren

Banned
It's not my "favorite" game I've ever played (definitely makes the list though), but I consider it to be the "best" game I have ever played. Not many other games have evoked a similar emotional response in me.

The art, the music, the simplicity of gameplay. It all comes together perfectly. I have nothing but praise for it, and it is my 2012 game of the year.

Got it during the 12 Deals of Christmas offer with The Unfinished Swan. I only played it once so far but I loved every single minute of it. It was a devestating and awesome experience, both at the same time.

I don't really care much about the 'it's a really linear game with no gameplay' or whatever argument. It's pretty linear but I think some challenge can be found in the game for the people that want it in acquiring all the symbols for the scarf or whatever. There is a game there for those that want it, I really can't see why some people call it a non-game. Sure you can finish it easily in one sitting, but if you want to get/see everything in the game then there sure is stuff to do.

I agree with everything you said O.P.

To everyone in here, we'll probably meet in the world of Journey sometime soon. See you on the other side!!!

This makes me really sad. I played it in two sittings, and the first sitting had somebody who ignored me and did their own thing, racing through as fast as they could, no exploration; and then I had a series of people who dropped out really quickly. I played much of the game by myself, and it was fine, but not an experience or anything.

ZiZ

it's amazing how such a simple game can evoke more emotion then most other forms of media.

companionship, loneliness, fear, guilt, sadness, happiness

tumblr_m1q2wssjLg1qijivjo1_1280.gif

and envy

I had just finished a major exam when I first played Journey. When I played it I could feel the stress that had built up inside of me for weeks just melt away. It was a soothing experience, almost therapeutic. Then I met my companion, neither of us knew what was going on, or what to do but that's what made it special. We figured it out together. He/she was the only companion I had throughout the game, they thanked me after it had ended. It was a mindblowing experience. I don't think I'll ever play anything like it again. A memory I will cherish forever.

Top Bottom