• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"It's 2013"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars

Banned
"It's 2013, how could we still act this way? It's 2013, how could this still happen? It's 2013 guys, come on."

Above are three examples of the dumbest statements a person could make. These statements are, unfortunately, also frequently found in GAF's OT forum, and I want to tell you why I can't stand them. All three start with "It's <insert current year here>," which is supposed to mean that our society exists so far in the future (2013!) that everything the person identifies as a problem should clearly have been solved by now. It's a bizarre component of the "progressive" myopia shared by so many people in the Western world, and it only serves to make you look like an idiot.

Consider the following. If you say some variant of "It's 2013, things shouldn't be this way":

1) You are making everything you say sound dated almost immediately
2) There is nothing very special about the year you're living in
3) You are saying that your concept of a perfect culture is the endpoint of all culture.

"It's 2013, ..." is the embodiment of everything that's wrong with "progressive" mentality, and I can't wait for some of you to have teenaged kids so they can laugh at you and your generation thinking that they had the last word on society.

Steelrain

"It's 2013, how could we still act this way? It's 2013, how could this still happen? It's 2013 guys, come on."

Above are three examples of the dumbest statements a person could make. These statements are, unfortunately, also frequently found in GAF's OT forum, and I want to tell you why I can't stand them. All three start with "It's <insert current year here>," which is supposed to mean that our society exists so far in the future (2013!) that everything the person identifies as a problem should clearly have been solved by now. It's a bizarre component of the "progressive" myopia shared by so many people in the Western world, and it only serves to make you look like an idiot.

Consider the following. If you say some variant of "It's 2013, things shouldn't be this way":

1) You are making everything you say sound dated almost immediately
2) There is nothing very special about the year you're living in
3) You are saying that your concept of a perfect culture is the endpoint of all culture.

"It's 2013, ..." is the embodiment of everything that's wrong with "progressive" mentality, and I can't wait for some of you to have teenaged kids so they can laugh at you and your generation thinking that they had the last word on society.

It's always weird when I hear people say this. Like there is some universal standard for a society that we aren't living up to.

Fari

It was much worse during the 1990s, when everyone constantly reminded each other what decade it was.

Tesseract

Banned
it's 2013, why are people still making these kinds of threads? JESUS FUCKING TITTY LOVING MILK DRINKING CHRIST CRACKERS NEOGAF.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Most frequently this is used to comment on the state of a product and the current standards during this period of time and how they have not improved.

Example: X? In 2013!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom