• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Sea Islands seem to be rebranded Southern Island cards

Proelite

So much for this.

AMD%20Radeon%20HD8870%20and%20Radeon%20HD8850.png

DonMigs85

It's bad enough Nvidia rebadged Fermi cards as low-end 600 series parts, but now AMD is doing it for high-end cards? Tsk tsk

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm confused, what does this mean? Is the 8970 faster than the 7970? Is this the same shit they pulled when the 6000 series was as fast as the 5000?

Proelite

I'm confused, what does this mean? Is the 8970 faster than the 7970? Is this the same shit they pulled when the 6000 series was as fast as the 5000?

Seems likely. No artichectural changes at all. I guess GCN2 isn't ready yet for the first half of this year.

pestul

Same shit.. probably worse. 6xxx series had better crossfire scaling and I think better tessellation. No advantages here at all.

DonMigs85

Didn't the 6870 actually have fewer stream processors than the 5870? Not sure if they were even made more efficient by much, if at all.

From reading the website it looks like these are only for OEM Desktop computers.

Select AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series graphics will be available in desktop systems from major OEMs, starting late January 2013.

Meaning, you'll only be seeing these in Dell, Alienware, etc. computers. I bet they're going to go with a completely new branding for the Sea Islands cards.

Proelite

From reading the website it looks like these are only for OEM Desktop computers.

Meaning, you'll only be seeing these in Dell, Alienware, etc. computers. I bet they're going to go with a completely new branding for the Sea Islands cards.

Ah.

Maybe they should start the cards from 100s again.

AMD XTX 280.

pestul

Yeah its probably not a panic time yet. They're just trying to confuse everyone by the looks of it again.

jett

D-Member
There are some differences between the 8870 and the 7870. 200 more muggahurtz and .31 more teaflopz.

Falling into irrelevancy.

Far from it. AMD goes into the next generation with a strong dominance in the console market, their GPUs power all 3 next gen consoles which give them a healthy infusion of revenue for many, many years to come.

It's NVIDIA that's desperately clinging at the driftwood to survive now that the big 3 don't wanna play ball with them, have you seen their desperate attempt to enter the handheld market with the XBOX era designed handheld?

Didn't the 6870 actually have fewer stream processors than the 5870? Not sure if they were even made more efficient by much, if at all.

The 5850 was a lot better than the 6850 and if memory serves wasn't that far away from the 6870. (6xxx was more energy efficient though and I think it did tessellation a bit better).

Graphics cards have stagnated for so long. I'd still be using a 5850 if I hadn't come into a bunch of money to get a gtx670. The increase in price over the past years coupled with a lack of increase in performance has been pretty disgusting.

Far from it. They go into the next generation with a strong dominance in the console market, their GPUs power all 3 next gen consoles which give them a healthy infusion of revenue for many, many years to come.

It's NVIDIA that's desperately clinging at the driftwood to survive now that the big 3 don't wanna play ball with them, have you seen their desperate attempt to enter the handheld market with the XBOX era designed handheld?

They are both falling into irrelevancy together. The fact remains that these companies are overshooting the mainstream needs just like the PCs. Sure they'll get some steady infusion of cash from the console contracts they won, however mobile is where the big bucks are, and Intel is about to enter that arena, Qualcomm is beasting on CPUs and Imagination Technologies is beasting on GPUs.

x3sphere

The spec sheet has an OEM label, these cards might only be sold to the likes of Dell, etc.

I remember Nvidia did a similar thing awhile back during the transition from 2xx to 4xx.

derExperte

No one should be upset because no one should be buying AMD cards.

Everyone who wants good bang for the buck under 250$ should. And everyone else too, cause using Nvidia generally seems to make people post dumb shit like this.

That's the only thing that makes sense. People who don't know better think they get modern gpus in their pre-built systems and AMD can happily keep selling those old chips while 'we' get the new stuff. I hope. I mean there would have been rumours about this if they had serious problems finishing the next cards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. It's one of those 10% gain refreshes.
I guess they don't like selling their 7950's that retailed for $450 for $300 now. Might as well sell 8950's to people that will buy them for $450.

Now nVidia is under no pressure. Would not be surprised to have nVidia refresh the 6xx series since it seems to have more in it. At least I don't have to update the PC thread when this stuff comes out.

OEM rebadge, nothing to see here

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
To be expected to be honest. The 8000M that was announced a week or two ago seemed to mostly be a rebadged 7 series, so the desktop cards getting the same treatment isn't a shock.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I guess they don't like selling their 7950's that retailed for $450 for $300 now. Might as well sell 8950's to people that will buy them for $450.

Now nVidia is under no pressure. Would not be surprised to have nVidia refresh the 6xx series since it seems to have more in it. At least I don't have to update the PC thread when this stuff comes out.

Super fucking lame. Especially if Haswell turns out to be 10%. 2013 is the year that time fails to tock.

I may just replace my AMD 6950s with Nvidia GPUs or wait out til 2014.

RIP Moore's law
1970-2012

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
and dreams of some posters regarding magical performance 8xxx amd cards in next generation were shattered.
I don't see any TDP numbers in the release either.

Next gen consoles truly DOA. Or maybe consoles get GCN 2.0 and PC users get refresh until production hits stride :p

Kilrathi

Nvidia did the same thing with the 9 Series too which were faster clocked versions of the the G92 based 8 series cards as well. The 200m cards some of them were also based on the g92 gpu as well. I was hoping we wouldn't see this again but looks to be case here :(

Reallink

I was under the impression the consensus has long been that Maxwell was delayed to 2014 and the 7XX series were going to be rebranded Keplers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was under the impression the consensus has long been that Maxwell was delayed to 2014 and the 7XX series were going to be rebranded Keplers.
I haven't heard anything about 2014. I don't keep as much as up this stuff because it's too hard to sift through the crap.

The comment was more a pass that AMD doesn't seem to have GCN 2.0 ready to coincide with their new series numbers (aka soon) vs. nVidai which can probably do a lot more with their 6xx series. nVidia probably knows more of what is going on and pushed back their own release since there is no need to release Maxwell soon.
Should be fun to see all the model numbers for AMD when the real set of cards come out.

WCCFtech confirms the rebadge, but still is holding for Q2 release of the 'real' new cards.

leehom

I don't keep up with the video card arms race, but it looks good to me? 20-70% increase in power for less $$$.

Top Bottom