• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biology-GAF: What the hell is Chespin? (Pokemon-related)

Neiteio

Going out on a limb here thinking this might be OK... Mods can lock if not, and apologies in advance.

Basically, with the Pokemon X/Y thread going a mile a minute, one mystery remains unsolved, despite so many people liking the character it involves.

We know Fennekin is based on a fennec, and Froakie on a frog. But what on God's green Earth is Chespin supposed to be??

2409665-chespin_large.jpg

Surely someone here knows enough obscure animals to deduce what odd mammalian (?) was this Pokemon's basis.

With so many posters Chespin-ifying their avatars, might as well know what the hell the thing is, lol.

UPDATE:

Grakl found the following on Bulbagarden:

Harimaron is a combination of 蝟 harinezumi (hedgehog), 針 hari (needle), and marron (French for chestnut).
Probably the best evidence of him being a hedgehog mixed with a chestnut. The "pin" perhaps refers to his pin-needle spines?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
He looks like an otter wearing a dinosaur costume. He's cute.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I read in another thread that it is a porcupine / hedgehog wearing a chestnut as a hat.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey guys, remember this?

GABUMON2.jpg

...and how its coat slowly becomes its species?

What if Chespin follows a similar evolution where its reptile-like spiny coat covers and becomes that thing?

Also I fully support teamchespin

Neiteio

I updated the OP with what I think might be the best theory so far. As Grakl pointed out, on Bulbapedia they break down the Japanese name:

Harimaron is a combination of 蝟 harinezumi (hedgehog), 針 hari (needle), and marron (French for chestnut).

So in other words, he's a hedgehog crossed with a chestnut. The "pin" in "Chespin" probably refers to his spines (think "pin" as in "pin needle" or "pin cushion").

I updated the OP with what I think might be the best theory so far. As Grakl pointed out, on Bulbapedia they break down the Japanese name:

So in other words, he's a hedgehog crossed with a chestnut. The "pin" in "Chespin" probably refers to his spines (think "pin" as in "pin needle" or "pin cushion").

Does he gotta go fast?

Grakl

Hey guys, remember this?

http://www.oocities.org/warpdigivolver/GABUMON2.jpg[IMG]

What if Chespin follows a similar evolution where its reptile-like spiny coat covers and becomes that thing?

Also I fully support teamchespin[/QUOTE]

Really not sure if I'd like it, even though I love reptiles. The evolutions are almost never as good as the 1st stage.

#teamChespin *highfive*

Neiteio

Man, it's really refreshing to have a non-reptile/non-amphibian Grass-type. It's like they finally realized there are all sorts of woodland creatures you could associate with plants!

fallagin

The worst pokemon starter in history. I mean nobody goes for grass anyways, but this completely justifies that bias in an unprecedented way.

Hey guys, remember this?

GABUMON2.jpg

Also I fully support teamchespin
I always thought this as agumon with a wolf pelt

Neiteio

The worst pokemon starter in history. I mean nobody goes for grass anyways, but this completely justifies that bias in an unprecedented way.
Oh hell naw.

Oh heeeeeeeeell NAW.

EDIT: I just realized, hedgehogs roll up, and the chestnut part is on Chespin's exterior. Thus, he's going to be able to curl up into a chestnut, isn't he?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's the most creative Starter, which I like...my favorite Pokemon tend to be the ones who have a "what is it?" factor and requires a bit of research into, so I immediately liked Chespin. The way they incorporated the plant element, as opposed to simply throwing it on, is really neat too.

Definitely a far better upgrade over SNIVY. I gave that line a chance in Black since I always go Grass first, and I was horribly disappointed. Chespin looks like an awesome Starter.

I really like Froakie too...and Fennekin...well...blah.

Top Bottom