• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken's Rage 2 Wii U will be digital-only in Europe.

I read through the article but it says nowhere that it's a download exclusive, but that it's download-only for the Wii U, meaning that there will probably be no Wii U retail version of the game.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
A download only Wii U™ version will be available a day earlier, on the 7th of February.

From the Press Release. Happening in Australia too.

No bricks and mortar version, kind of sad this is happening already but at least fans can get the game on the Wii U if they want.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hope so.
Why would anyone hope for less choice? Would having copies on store shelves negatively affect your eShop purchase?

I read through the article but it says nowhere that it's a download exclusive, but that it's download-only for the Wii U, meaning that there will probably be no Wii U retail version of the game.
You said the same thing with different words as far as I can tell. If it's exclusive to the eShop that means there's no disc copy.

I knew my wording in the title wasn't clear enough. But yeah, that's exactly what I was getting at. :B

kami_sama

Why would anyone hope for less choice? Would having copies on store shelves negatively affect your eShop purchase?
I think it's that it wouldn't have released on Europe without it being a downloadable title.
This way Japanese publishers can localize games without the cost associated with the physical distribution.
If it means more Japanese games, I'm all for it.
And I think Code of Princess is going to be released like that.

Anth0ny

I hope more games that don't stand a chance at retail are given a chance on the eshop in the future.

A Xenoblade/Last Story kind of game would absolutely be eshop exclusive on the Wii U.

Jackano

It's better than nothing. In other times, the Nintendo hardware will not have got any release at all.
I agree to the digital sales in those cases. Is that less risky than doing a full retail version on a 2 months old system?

nubbe

It's good that games which don't have a broad audience can still get released through digital download.

Pretty odd that the Wii U edition is the only one not getting a retail release in Europe especially when Koei Europe has been releasing everything on a disc lately while in America, the PS3 Musous get shafted onto digital only.

Kuroyume

Banned
I hope so.

tumblr_maphfvSRay1r2gif7o1_250.gif

FyreWulff

It's good that games which don't have a broad audience can still get released through digital download.

Especially when Nintendo makes it super easy while MS and Sony still require you to jump through a bunch of hoops to release digital-only "full" titles. Specifically Microsoft. It's actually easier to get a retail title licensed for 360 and PS3, even if you're a small dev, than a GonD title.

I am fine with eShop exclusivity. I'd like the option, but if there's no way it's financially viable (and Musou games are increasingly likely to fall in to this category), then I am okay with it.

I am less fine with pricing it as if it's a retail game. The excuse about not wanting to piss off retailers goes out the window and the best defense one can muster at that point basically amounts to "Well, it's niche, so they kind of have to gouge you for as much as they can."

I hope more games that don't stand a chance at retail are given a chance on the eshop in the future.

It's better than nothing. In other times, the Nintendo hardware will not have got any release at all.
I agree to the digital sales in those cases. Is that less risky than doing a full retail version on a 2 months old system?

I actually like the idea of at least doing a download-only release of a game that may or may not sell well on a certain console (and we all know that developers act kinda Nintendophobic).

Doing a digital-only release may be the better idea overall than doing a retail release, as there are no added costs to the game aside from porting the game over and a certain percentage of the sales price going to Nintendo.

Looks a little...*dons sunglasses* steamy.

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Agh, I just remembered that this game might get an 18+ rating in Europe which means I only get to buy and download this during sleepy time :(

EDIT2:
A mod should change the title to "Ken's Rage 2 Wii U gets download-only release in Europe".

Yes. In Europe at least.

The game will likely be digital-only for all platforms in America.

suh weet, still need to grind the first game though :D ITS JUST SO BORING, but it is a guilty pleasure, i dont know why i play it. I'm almost at the final Raoh in Legends with Kenshiro and ive played several characters through several levels in Dream mode and Legends too.

A mod should change the title to "Ken's Rage 2 Wii U gets download-only release in Europe".

Thats why i asked, it sounded like the whole game is a Wii U exclusive in Europe.

onipex

I would rather have less choice than no choice, but I really like this because I think it will good for the eshop. It would be much better if Nintendo also shipped those game specific eshop cards for retailers too.

I also hope this could lead to games releasing in more regions a few weeks/months faster too. There is nothing stopping a retail release later on for the Wii U.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Considering Koei stuck Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper on the e-store at £50, I'm expecting them to do exactly the same with this game. So rather than supporting such price gouging bullshit, I'll stick with my £32 PS3 copy from Argos instead. Some people may not have the option to play it on another platform but I'd hope they would avoid buying it anyway to show that these prices are in no way acceptable. That is of course unless WO3H sold so badly that they will price Ken's Rage 2 at a more palatable price (say £40) but lets face it, that's extremely unlikely.

Neo C.

While I appreciate the "better than nothing" strategy with eShop only releases, I do hope we don't just get the most mainstream of the mainstream games in retail. Niche games should have the chance to attract more gamers besides its niche group.

For risky niche games, that kind of business model would be nice:
1) eShop release first to minimize the risk
2) Once the game breaks even, release retail version, budget price
3) ???
4) profit

nickcv

and this is now shaping into a trend...

i'm afraid that's what is going to happen with the Ace Attorney franchise

While I appreciate the "better than nothing" strategy with eShop only releases, I do hope we don't just get the most mainstream of the mainstream games in retail. Niche games should have the chance to attract more gamers besides its niche group.

3) ???
4) profit

And how do you then sell x thousand copies required for minimum print by Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft ?

Biggest mistake in those digital releases is pricing them equally to retail recomended prices.

nickcv

Just curious, but would this include Italy? I hear Hokuto no Ken has a massive fanbase there.

we do have a massive fanbase here in italy, it just doesn't translate into game sales.
Italians are extremely attached to the anime, it was a huge part of my generation growing up, everyone belonging to my generation watched the anime (one way or another, since some parents thought it was too violent), we all know the theme song, we all know the names of most main characters, and yes that includes girls as well.

another anime that was iconic is Saint Seya.

Neo C.

And how do you then sell x thousand copies required for minimum print by Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft ?
That isn't really a hurdle, or at least it's not a new hurdle. In the former gen, a publisher needs to print a minimum of copy and that minimum still needs to break even.
With the business model I've proposed, the localisation costs are already recouped before the publisher prints the game for retail. Which means the retail version only needs to sell a very small amount to break even (= recoup the print costs), even when released budget priced.

Biggest mistake in those digital releases is pricing them equally to retail recomended prices.
I would be smart to release it a bit cheaper, but I don't think the publishers are too concerned, because they now have the ability to make sales. It's one of the reason why I bite Trine 2.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I would rather have less choice than no choice, but I really like this because I think it will good for the eshop. It would be much better if Nintendo also shipped those game specific eshop cards for retailers too.

I also hope this could lead to games releasing in more regions a few weeks/months faster too. There is nothing stopping a retail release later on for the Wii U.
Makes no sense.

Digital releases do terrible in Europe.

nickcv

3) ???
4) profit

i do agree with you, but we are headed into that direction... give it 7 to 10 years and the only games still sold as retail are going to be Collectors Edition of major mainstream titles

Did you get a chance to play that brawler that came out recently? I've been wanting to check it out.

nope, but i gotta admit i was tempted

Celine

we do have a massive fanbase here in italy, it just doesn't translate into game sales.
Italians are extremely attached to the anime, it was a huge part of my generation growing up, everyone belonging to my generation watched the anime (one way or another, since some parents thought it was too violent), we all know the theme song, we all know the names of most main characters, and yes that includes girls as well.

*fist pump*

However I've heard the first one sucked so I'm not that confident...

Tailzo

Yeah, same for france. Saint Seya was the hottest thing before dragon ball came I think.

Top Bottom