• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't get Sony cloud gaming... I want to play on PC, am I the only one here?

Sony has released their cloud streaming for the UK but there is a catch and here's some dates for other countries too -

The feature will become available in Japan on October 17, while Europe and North America are pencilled in for October 23 and October 30, respectively.

There is a catch, however, as you do need to be a paying PS Plus subscriber to use the service and not every country will have access.

The countries that will be included in the European push are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and United Kingdom.

Cloud streaming will be available for titles from most PlayStation platforms, including: PlayStation 1, 2, 3, and PlayStation Portable via the Classic Catalog. PlayStation 5 games are also available as Game Trials and supported digital titles from your library.

You can only stream from a PS5, no PC, no old PS consoles etc. Only digital games can be streamed, no physical games owned.

As someone that has no interest in buying a PS5 but does like a few titles Sony has to offer it's a shit show of a streaming service. After all the hoopla of regulators and cloud streaming in the last 1-2 years I have to belly laugh at this Sony walled garden for streaming.

For those that own or wish to purchase a PS5, enjoy but I find it hard to believe I'm the only one that would use a more "generic and open" Sony cloud streaming service (at least some PC streaming with a sub or something would be nice).

It's pretty cool to have BC streaming in there, always love that, no matter the platform.

EDIT: Just realised Australia isn't even on that roadmap for Sony cloud gaming. How fun.

Source (Metro UK)

Last edited:

Agent X

For those that own or wish to purchase a PS5, enjoy but I find it hard to believe I'm the only one that would use a more "generic and open" Sony cloud streaming service (at least some PC streaming with a sub or something would be nice).

Sony already offers cloud streaming on PC of games made for PS4 and earlier Sony consoles. They just don't offer this for PS5 games...yet.

Use common sense and buy the pc game. If you want a Playstation game buy a Playstation. Quit acting so entitled and spoiled.

I'm entitled for wanting to play some Sony games on PC but not wanting to spend some $1,500 on another gaming setup? ok mate. I'm not mad or jumping up and down here.

I find it pretty odd you go for cloud gaming but lock it to one hardware device. I'll call that out everyday of the week, I'd expect regulators to take that shit to task too. You own a PS4 and want to stream, nope buy a PS5 you heathen. Sounds great, but I'm the man baby right?

Cloud gaming tech is leaps and bounds better than it's ever been.

I still have no interest in it.

I very much look forward to eventually playing Ghosts of Tsushima on PC one day.

StereoVsn

I got to think that they are just slowly building this up. Otherwise it makes no sense. If I have a PS5... why the heck would I use streaming? I guess it acts as a quick demo? But anyways, I am thinking they will extend it to other platforms in the future.

TrebleShot

They’ve only just launched this mate, give it time and it will come to pc , portal and other devices. Sony is big but not MS big they can’t roll these things out all at once otherwise it would buckle under the stress of it all.

They will build up server blades and expand gradually to other platforms.

Not sure why everyone is so definitive in thinking how it is now is how it will be in 3/6/12/24 months.

if your that desperate to to play ps5 games get the console it’s very good you know.

They’ve only just launched this mate, give it time and it will come to pc , portal and other devices. Sony is big but not MS big they can’t roll these things out all at once otherwise it would buckle under the stress of it all.

They will build up server blades and expand gradually to other platforms.

Not sure why everyone is so definitive in thinking how it is now is how it will be in 3/6/12/24 months.

if your that desperate to to play ps5 games get the console it’s very good you know.

It's a good point Sony's service will mature, I hope the walled garden corpo mentality evolves with it.

It's weird but I cannot stand the PS controllers especially, I refuse to support XIM adapters and cheaters.

Spidey is a calling card, played the first one at a show with my son and it's got awesome IQ, gameplay and that fun factor. However my kids' friends are all Switch or Xbox, so we have no need to shell out for a full PS hardware kit just for a couple of games. I/we will wait and see how Sony cloud evolves.

Last edited:
So, of all the avenues that you supposedly have available, you'd rather play via cloud of all things?

It's almost as if they are trying to tell you something.

Hey, if you can convince Sony to release PC day one (or even year one) parity with PS5 I'm all ears to drop some coin Sony's way...

Anybody who uses “I don’t get…” and “…am I the only one?” in a thread title should be permanently banned.

Get em OverHeat OverHeat EDIT: bwahahah.

Last edited:

GHG

Hey, if you can convince Sony to release PC day one (or even year one) parity with PS5 I'm all ears to drop some coin Sony's way...

Your options are as follows:
  • Get a PS5
  • Wait for the PC releases for the games you want, if and when they might arrive
If you're not willing to do either of those then you never really wanted to play the game(s) in question anyway and you're simply blowing smoke.

Three

Not streaming physical games makes sense. What would it do? Turn on your PS5 to spin up the disc and check what's in it then turn it off to spin up a server to stream from? Would it do this every x interval to check your license is still valid?
No manufacturer except sony is even streaming your digital library let alone physical at the moment so complaining about streaming a physical game is strange to say the least. If you're really desperate to stream a disc just use remote play to play off it since your PS5 needs to be on anyway to read it.

As someone that has no interest in buying a PS5 but does like a few titles Sony has to offer it's a shit show of a streaming service. After all the hoopla of regulators and cloud streaming in the last 1-2 years I have to belly laugh at this Sony walled garden for streaming
It's only a shitshow because you refuse to buy a PS5 for whatever reason. That's what you're trying to avoid and obviously that's not what's good for Playstation and Sony know that.

Being able to stream your digital library anywhere is what feature they're bringing to PS5 owners that nobody else really offers at the moment. I suspect they want to keep PS5 customers happy with that at this point and not those trying to avoid getting a Playstation. The only reason you're unhappy is that it doesn't allow you to avoid a PS5 and play the PS5 games you're interested in, whereas they want those games to interest you in a PS5. They want a big PS5 install base to ensure good local/native gaming support and it's the only way to ensure it. it would be suicide to playstation development longterm if they did this. You want the opposite though, you don't care about the PS hardware.

Reactions: GHG
Your options are as follows:
  • Get a PS5
  • Wait for the PC releases for the games you want, if and when they might arrive
If you're not willing to do either of those then you never really wanted to play the game(s) in question anyway and you're simply blowing smoke.

Son and I enjoyed the remastered port of Spidey on his PC but waiting 4 years is a pretty long haul, reminds me of waiting for Halo titles to drop.

GHG

Son and I enjoyed the remastered port of Spidey on his PC but waiting 4 years is a pretty long haul, reminds me of waiting for Halo titles to drop.

Well in that case, it is what it is.

The only person you're hurting here due to your stubbornness is yourself.

Three

I got to think that they are just slowly building this up. Otherwise it makes no sense. If I have a PS5... why the heck would I use streaming? I guess it acts as a quick demo? But anyways, I am thinking they will extend it to other platforms in the future.
I do this sometimes but not very often. You could actually stream to the PS App before through cloud and they opted for remote play. I suspect they would try and tie this to PS5 ownership somehow for some time.

I believe they will try and launch a streaming library in the future should they need to disconnect their strategy from hardware in the future but that time is not this gen.

Right now I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has even used this to get around Microsoft with the Activision cloud licence thing. If they have a cloud service that offers PS5 games to stream then they can request all ABK games to be on it at parity through Ubisoft meaning a native/local version can't be skipped either even if they don't pay for the game to be a free PS+ premium game on their service.

Last edited:

Hudo

Wait for the PC releases for the games you want, if and when they might arrive
Probably the best advice in this thread. Just wait, you can play other stuff in the meantime. It's not like PC is lacking any games.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think PS5 streaming on PS5 first is just because it's low hanging fruit, with fixed hardware. I'm sure it will be rolled out to other platforms once it is stable and fully tested. It may be also that they are allowing themselves time to roll out enough server capacity for wider use.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
We all do and I think that’s coming but this is a way to scale and test. I think sometime in 2024 we see pc client and osx clients.

Top Bottom