• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to release GeForce Titan

mkenyon

Banned
NVIDIA GTX Titan

WSIy5xF.jpg

What is it?

This is a GK110 chip, which was previously used only on the workstation side of things in the Tesla lineup. It's a monster sized die that eats computation for breakfast while finishing off a tall glass of render. It's still Kepler, it's still 22nm, but it's just more of it.​

GIMMIE SPECS

2688 CUDA Cores
Base Clock: 837 MHz
Boost Clock: 876 MHz
Bus: PCI-E 3.01
2-way, 3-way, 4-way SLI Ready
Texture Fill Rate: 187.5 GT/s
Memory Detail: 6144 MB GDDR5
Memory Bit Width: 384 Bit
Memory Clock: 6008 MHz
Memory Speed: 0.33 ns
Memory Bandwidth: 288.38 GB/s​

I don't know what any of that means.

It's really fast. From Scott Wasson of Tech Report:

Oh, before we go on, I should mention that the GK110 chips aboard Titan cards will have one of their 15 SMX units disabled. On a big chip like this, disabling an area in order to improve yields is a very familiar practice. Let's put that into perspective using my favorite point of reference. The loss of the SMX adds up to about two Xbox 360s worth of processing power—192 ALUs and 16 texture units at nearly twice the clock speed of an Xbox. But don't worry; the GK110 has 14 more SMX units on hand.

How much?

$1000. Yap.​

$1000!? Who is this for!?

1. Developers who want to play games on their workstations.
  2. People with more than one display and high resolution monitors.
  3. Enthusiasts who don't bat an eye at $1000 cards.
  4. Crazy people.

How about some benchmarks?

Courtesy of TechReport, give them the clicks they deserve. All at 1440p.

bl2-99th.gif

bl2-beyond-16.gif

gw2-99th.gif

gw2-beyond-16.gif

dogs-99th.gif

dogs-beyond-16.gif

ac3-99th.gif

ac3-beyond-16.gif

fc3-99th.gif

fc3-beyond-16.gif

Looks pretty sweet, where can I read more?

There are only two reviews that currently matter. This is related to a major breakthrough in performance testing which for some reason people who are stuck in the old (easy) way of doing things just won't budge. They're like the scientists that insist *insert obvious but politically charged statement about climate* doesn't exist.

Tech Report's review.

PC Perspective's review.

mkenyon

Banned
The price isn't outrageous, it's priced compared to 690 performance accurately.
that guy in the pc thread that bought 4 top of the line nvidia cards will have to take out a loan.
Sk3tch just sold his 4 680s, and one of his 690s. Only has a single 690 left. Now it all makes sense.
You guys expressing sticker shock do know that Nvidia's current top line card retails for $999, right?
Exactly.

Well that's something you can definitely apply to the "downsampling" thread.

I wonder if a card that powerful would be capable of handling Final Fantasy XIV at 4000p.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'll preface this by saying that I have been far, far out of the video card market lately but I consider myself to be terribly unimpressed when "$900" and "85% performance of __________" appear in the same sentence.

I guess it looks like the GTX 690 has two GPUs on it while this one only has one but from a simple marketing perspective that sentence is pretty offputting for an OMG NEW VIDEO CARD LINE ANNOUNCED type press release.

Thraktor

Jesus, dat price.

People who want the absolute best performance possible (eg the people who have multi-GPU set-ups) will have little problem paying that much if it performs as well as they claim.

In fact, it's a better buy than dual 680s purely on the basis of avoiding the perils that come with multi-GPU PCs, such as compatibility issues and microstuttering.

nbthedude

Could you please tell me where/how you are building it, and what the specs are? (Or at least what games the machine can handle on max settings)

You can do quite a bit for $500 these days; a build that would easily be comparable to what is rumored to be in next gen systems or even a little better.

Example:

Radeon 7950 $279
Intel i5 3470 processor $150
Gigabyte 1155 motherboard $39
Samsung DDR3 4GB RAM $22
Antec Basiq 450w power supply $39
MSI Case $20
320gb WD Caviar BlueHarddrive $45

Total: $595

And that is not shopping around and going with what I could find in 10 minutes of browsing and with all pretty good, reliable parts excluding the cheap case. There is room for skimping/saving or improving it for $30-$50 more or less.

This is no more crazy than when Asus released the Ares.
2 x 5870 with an MSRP of $1200.

For me, a single 680 more than gets the job done.

harrytang

In my defense, I do it for great science, write it off as a business expense, and post articles that (hopefully) bring me money.

hell, i'd do it right now if I could afford to. PC thread the reason I build a PC and have a 680. maybe with some throw away money some day. most enjoyable part watching the progress of innovation. looking forward to what comes next.

Xyphie

It's not really expensive for what it is. 2x GTX 680 costs about the same as this and you don't need to worry about the headaches of SLI. Double precision performance will be beastly too for those into that.

People who want the absolute best performance possible (eg the people who have multi-GPU set-ups) will have little problem paying that much if it performs as well as they claim.

In fact, it's a better buy than dual 680s purely on the basis of avoiding the perils that come with multi-GPU PCs, such as compatibility issues and microstuttering.

I understand it's aimed at a select few, but it's still pretty mindblowing.

Alchemy

Not surprising for a top of the line premium product GPU. I love the over reactions in here. This won't be intended to be a mass market product. And I could out buy one of these on day one and barely feel the cost, and I don't get paid that much. Cost versus value depends on the users priorities and saving habits.

Thraktor

Also, if this has the RAM and bandwidth to pull it off, I'd say there's a market for this for people who spend tens of thousands on 4K TVs, and want a gaming system that can push that resolution.

Top Bottom