• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to push PS4 as entertainment hub, focus on connectivity + new styles of play?

Sony: PS4's main selling point will be 'new playing options, not improved hardware specs'

As Sony Computer Entertainment warms up its blue lighting and double-checks its playlist for February 20th, one unnamed SCE official says that the PlayStation 4 will act as more of a home entertainment hub than what we've seen in the past. They added, according to the Nikkei, that the main selling point won't be the rumored eight-core AMD64 CPU or other hardware specs, but how it opens up new styles of play -- something Nintendo is also focusing on. Sony is going to push the new console as a home entertainment "nerve center," with a focus on the hardware's ability to connect and share to mobile devices -- the rival that's pulling gamers away from traditional consoles. No discussion on any Gaikai-powered cloud gaming just yet, but following its unveiling later this month, the report states that the new PlayStation should launch before the end of the year. A bit of a shame, then, that it's still only February.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/08/sony-ps4-main-selling-point-new-playing-options/

I reckon this would be the smart thing to do really.

well, people here seems pretty satisfied with the specs, and as long as dev like ND and SSM keep doing what they've been doing, I'll be happy too.

no one said being entertainment hub have to come at the expense of games

It's their goal since the Ps2 anyway. The PS3 was already a great media hub. The new consoles will be much more.

The new xbox is getting a lot of bad talk because of this already (dvr-box 720), but it's foolish to think Sony wouldn't offer something similar. Both need to do this as a pure gaming console is risky business.

Interfectum

I dunno, they've been saying this forever. My problem with this whole "console is the center of your house" is that it'll never be true. My 'nerve center' is my router which my iPhone, tablet, roku, TV, computer, xbox, PS3, etc all connect to. I don't need a PS4 to do anything other than play games.

Sony needs to:
- Focus on squeezing as much power into the system as they can fit into a $400 launch price
- Co-fund development of big exclusive 3rd party games
- Continue to build a massive 1st party powerhouse
- Help ensure (through system power, PSN features, etc) that every 3rd party multiplatform game is either on par with their rival or better.

Grieves

If Sony could add Bluetooth support for Mobile phones in the PS4 that would be nice. It annoys me that my PS3 won't let me share files with my phone via Bluetooth.

well, people here seems pretty satisfied with the specs, and as long as dev like ND and SSM keep doing what they've been doing, I'll be happy too.

This. It purely means PS4 does everything the PS3 did but better.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Satisfied is not the right word at all. I would say accepted that all the next gen machines are under powered and not remotely the jump we would normally get in 1 generation. Considering we are 1.5 generations past the PS2/XBox/Gamecube these machines are meh spec wise. I am glad to get a new generation but really this is closer to the dreamcast leap honestly and that should of not happened 8 years after the generation started. It is a shame the kinect and these dual camera's are sucking up the GPU budget.

Is Engadget recycling old news from other sources? I could have sworn the exact same thing was mentioned before in a different article?

As long as they tell me that Naughty Dog are releasing a game for it and there will be a Gran Turismo, I don't care what else the machine will do I will be picking one up on launch day.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is Engadget recycling old news from other sources? I could have sworn the exact same thing was mentioned before in a different article?

Me too, but can't remember which one exactly.

They're citing Nikkei...is it the same article from that other thread? I thought it was another outlet saying some of this stuff though. Maybe Nikkei just put up an English article today.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's their goal since the Ps2 anyway. The PS3 was already a great media hub. The new consoles will be much more.

The new xbox is getting a lot of bad talk because of this already (dvr-box 720), but it's foolish to think Sony wouldn't offer something similar. Both need to do this as a pure gaming console is risky business.

difference might be doing it in parallel. Maybe with PS4 you choose whether you're playing games or watching/listening to media. But when you are consuming media it is more integrated, easier to browse/search, and streamable back out to vita/smartphones/tablets.

Actually I bet they could probably do that in parallel with someone gaming too - DVR add-ons for PS3 work in the background, and if PS4 has remoteplay support for all games that means it has video encode hardware available and could fairly easily support streaming video etc - so your kids could be playing games while you dial into it from your tablet, see your own custom XMB and can start streaming netflix (yes I realise you already have netflix on your tablet but you know what I mean).

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
As long if I have an option to not give a crap about that stuff, I am ok. But if I need to pay for things I don't want, then Sony can go fuck itself!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I dunno, they've been saying this forever. My problem with this whole "console is the center of your house" is that it'll never be true. My 'nerve center' is my router which my iPhone, tablet, roku, TV, computer, xbox, PS3, etc all connect to. I don't need a PS4 to do anything other than play games.

Sony needs to:
- Focus on squeezing as much power into the system as they can fit into a $400 launch price
- Co-fund development of big exclusive 3rd party games
- Continue to build a massive 1st party powerhouse
- Help ensure (through system power, PSN features, etc) that every 3rd party multiplatform game is either on par with their rival or better.

They have been focusing on those things.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Unless it's got MKV support then it's not going to be a entertainment hub for a lot of folks.

jcm

You can't be my entertainment hub unless you can wake from sleep in a second or two, and you need a low power mode for doing non- gaming stuff. I have netflix on both my ps3 and my appletv, but I only watch it on my appletv.

Also, an iPad remote control app would be handy.

Me too, but can't remember which one exactly.

They're citing Nikkei...is it the same article from that other thread? I thought it was another outlet saying some of this stuff though. Maybe Nikkei just put up an English article today.

Yeah, and if I remember correctly, the original quote made it sound like they wanted to make sure they weren't neglecting the services and experience part of the equation and relying solely on specs to sell the system.

Into

Latest rumored specs show the PS4 will likely be the most powerful next gen console, but despite that, they cannot just push the console as "POWER!", that will have limited appeal only to the most enthusiastic of gamers out there.

They have to push the console for everyone, both MS and Sony will do this, anything less and they will fall behind.

orioto

Good Art™
Let's look how Sony and Microsoft will ruin the party for everyone at E3...

I would be Sony, knowing the other will play that trick, i would focus on taking the gamer crowd. This is a big market when you think about it. There are 140 million PS360 in the world. if one or the other pulls a casual card, it's the chance to take the whole cake.

params7

Banned
Meh, I just hope it doesn't get outclassed by Steambox in a year. Valve/Gabe has said Steam will focus 100% on being a traditional power console. And like the guy above said, your router is the nerve center of any home network, all devices can connect to it and can exchange/stream media or files to one another through it, the ps4 is not needed. The less focus on improved hardware is dull news indeed but lets see how it pans out.

1-D_FTW

I hope they're talking integration with Android more than Vita. Building on that, a software partnership for Google TV (and google's suite of software) would be beneficial for all. Google just wants their software out there. It's win-win for everyone.

monome

War has changed.
It's no longer about consoles, games or exclusives.
It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by megacorporations and analysts.
War, and its consumption of dollars, has become a well-oiled machine.
War has changed. ID tagged consoles carry ID tagged blur-rays, use ID tagged gear.
Nanomachines inside their hardware enhance and regulate their abilities.
x86 control. Information control. Emotion control. Wizzard Jizz control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.
War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of advertisng features from gizmos of mass consumption.
And he who controls the battlefield, controls the e-wallet.
War has changed.
When the battlefield is under total control, war... becomes routine.

Here you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512061

Not the same stuff reported by gematsu etc. so I don't know if it was an english article that went up with different stuff today. But I definitely read this stuff somewhere else in the last couple of days...dunno if it all just sprang out of the one Nikkei article or if it was another outlet.

Could have been the WSJ article? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511101&highlight=wsj

I think this is what it made me reminiscent of.

Cornbread78

Hahaha. The console apocalypse. Save gaming, Gaben!

Umm, this is consistant with what the touted for the PS3. Just with better specs. Very interested to see what they are going to do, especially with the BT tech. Wireless surround sound and mobile share integration FTW Sony!

The_Monk

It's okay. Just give me the same awesomeness of those exclusives I love Sony.

Oh and keep your amazing job with PS Plus in Europe. It's the best service this gen for me.

Loudninja

Umm, this is consistant with what the touted for the PS3. Just with better specs. Very interested to see what they are going to do, especially with the BT tech. Wireless surround sound and mobile share integration FTW Sony!
It like people were completely asleep during the PS3 years.

Let's look how Sony and Microsoft will ruin the party for everyone at E3...

I would be Sony, knowing the other will play that trick, i would focus on taking the gamer crowd. This is a big market when you think about it. There are 140 million PS360 in the world. if one or the other pulls a casual card, it's the chance to take the whole cake.

It would be a smart move to target the enthusiasts. The enthusiasts are the subgroup who will make up the majority of the early adopters. Whoever brings them on in higher numbers will win the generation. The casuals and dudebros will flock to whatever system achieves the higher early adoption rates which is fueled by the enthusiast crowd.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Unless it's got MKV support then it's not going to be a entertainment hub for a lot of folks.

the usual DLNA support (does PS3 support ultraviolet?), horizontal services like netflix etc, and updates to PS3mediaserver or TVersity and you'll be fine :)

Top Bottom