• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Effects of Mods in Skyrim

Spazznid

So here I am, switching ENB's in my Skyrim install and I decide that I don't want some of the extra files introduced by my previous enb, and luckily for me, all said files are already/still highlighted from before. I press delete and as expected the windows delete prompt comes up and I click yes... There was one thing wrong, however. It seems I was deleting a few gigs of files... Apparently, my data folder was also highlighted when I clicked delete.

Oh god. I cancelled the delete and pressed ctrl+z, but to no avail... a large portion of my data folder was missing... Skyrim wouldn't even start... I have 115 mods install at this time of running

Well, guess like it's time for a re-install!!

This time, however, I decided to make it into a sort of study into how everything affects my performance! from the Texture mods to the enbs, I'll be taking note of every change my Skyrim makes. I thought maybe there'd be someone else here who has some interest in this info so, here it goes!

I will be sharing screenshots, details, and maybe videos of the stages my skyrim goes through until I install all of my mods again. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, go ahead and share them.

My PC
GTX 580 Not Overclocked
i5 2500k Not Overclocked
8 Gig RAM
1 TB HDD
Windows 7 Pro
Fraps

I run the game at 1080p with no MSAA and I will be downscaling the images to 720p for no real reason at all.

PART 1 - THE INSTALL

From the previous version, I manually uninstalled each of my 115-ish mods through Nexus Mod Manager. Then I Uninstalled the game through steam. Then I went through and deleted both my Skyrim folders, the one in Program files/Steam/Steamapps/Common and the one in Documents/My Games. I made sure to backup my saves and my Skyrim.ini/SkyrimPrefs.ini first, though. They're in the Skyrim111 Folder.

After there is no trace of the game or it's mods, I install the game through Steam.

iFtwl7HP5BcdH.png

First run - - - -

iI8cJdl5m00pV.png

i6DOZlz0GlyCX.png

izm51vImryPc2.png

I'll be adding a few mods at a time and then posting results from each wave.

I honestly thought this thread would have this in the OP!

But good luck with the performance of a modded Skyrim.. considering how heavy certain ENB + other graphic overhauls configurations are, you'll need it.

Lime

Some mods certainly have some effects on the game, especially this one: Hitler in Skyrim

Seriously, the modding community in the Elder Scrolls game is beyond the event horizon.

Honestly very interested in something like this, but I don't really want to get started until all of Skyrims DLC is out. Anybody know if Dragonborn is the last or what?

Also, op, could you resize your images to be slightly smaller? They're blowin up my screen here at 1366x768. :)

Spazznid

Honestly very interested in something like this, but I don't really want to get started until all of Skyrims DLC is out. Anybody know if Dragonborn is the last or what?

Also, op, could you resize your images to be slightly smaller? They're blowin up my screen here at 1366x768. :)

Alright.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I remember playing the game, loving the characters and being surprised and how well written they are.

Then it turned out that I had Better NPCs mod installed.

I think Im going to wait untill I get a new gfx card before going back to Skyrim.

My GTX 590 isnt cutting it since both gpus only have 1.5gb of VRAM and with all the texture mods it's hitting the limit and stuttering outdoors.

KKRT00

This time, however, I decided to make it into a sort of study into how everything affects my performance! from the Texture mods to the enbs, I'll be taking note of every change my Skyrim makes. I thought maybe there'd be someone else here who has some interest in this info so, here it goes!

My research:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45239352&postcount=3189

BTW
Realistic Lighting got to version 4 and it works with Climates of Tamriel
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30450

Here showcase video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FaCjDz-HZiY

I'm stuck with the 360 version, but the only mod I'd want to be honest is to make the characters a little more "pretty". I get what Bethesda was going for in the chiselled harsh look of people who live in a cold harsh country, but I like my characters a little more pretty.

Some of the mods I've seen to that kin have really impressed me.

Spazznid

Part 2 - Body Mods

The first mods I install will be the most annoying ones to deal with, when using multiple ones. If not installed in the correct order, then they won't work right at all.

Dimonized UNP Female Body (NSFW)
There aren't too many choices for alternate bodies if you also want compatible armors. If you use the wrong armor with the wrong body, you get parts that don't mesh right and it's very distracting. I still like modesty, so I choose the Underwear version of the mod. It's not quite in theme with the rest of skyrim, but you try finding a good looking Skyrim themed underwear on the Nexus! *Shudders*

Female Vampires have Fangs
Because it's a small touch, but I find it canon and smexy.

15 Stand Alone Warpaints
Self-Explanatory, more crap to not use.

High Quality Eyes
They make you eye pretty.

High Resolution Scars
They make you scar pretty.

High-Res Female Nord Skin
Makes you goosebumps pretty.

MacKoms Real Skin for Men
Makes men skin nice to fit in with the rest of Skyrim...

The Skeleton of Female Models
Makes the female skeleton different so that there is no clipping in certain animations.

XCE - Morrowind Warpaints
More crap I won't use...

RaceMenu
Replaces the total garbage Skyrim Race Menu with a less garbage one. You can zoom in and out and even turn a light on and off. You can also set your own colors from a rgb color palette.

Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Unofficial High Resolution Patch
Unofficial Hearthire Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Because, well, it's not like Bethesda would ever fix these issues, right?

XCE - Warpaint and Dirt
Makes the regular warpaints and dirt not look like crap. (well, the dirt looks like prettier crap now...)

Sporty Sexy Map
Adds a Normal Map to your character making it look like they've got more muscles, which, apparently female warriors have...

Nuska Real Skin for Women
Also adds freckles. I like my Freckles.

Ethereal Elven Overhaul
Makes Elves Smexier. Also got the High Resolution texture.

CoverKhajiits
Makes the Kitty cats look less uggers.

Better Hand Mesh for UNP...
Makes the hands have more Polygons. For screenshots... I swear...

AOF Believable Hair
Makes the vanilla hair not so poopy.

Skyrim Script Extender
Allows for some other mods to be used and allows me to launch the game without the launcher which likes to reset files...

ApachiiSkyHair
Nicer Hairs, duh.

Beards
Makes beards into better fuzzy meshes.

Better Vanilla Hairs
Replaces the Vanilla hair meshes with higher polygon versions.

Brows
High Resolution eye brows.

RANs Eye Reflection Extender
Makes eyes reflect in the lower half. Wierd.

The Eyes of Beauty
Better looking eyes and more of 'em!

So, now for the screenshots!

I notice a neck seam issue, but I couldn't get the body and face to play well together. There's a mod for that, so I'll put that on hold for now. Everything else seems to have worked. No noticeable impack on fps even in the city scene, so on to the next!

Is there a mod that turns the game into a real rpg.

There are actually quite a few mods that enhance the gameplay in significant ways, including changing the skill trees, (even to Oblivion style if you want), etc.

One that I am using is a combat mod that makes things stamina based, allows you to parry with two-handed weapons, etc. The enemies are much smarter and don't go "well, guess it was my imagination" when they have an arrow sticking out of their chest.

It also makes combat way more interesting and it also means that getting attacked by more than 1 or 2 guys at a time is VERY difficult to handle. Getting hit cleanly even a few times will kill you. You need to block each attack and be able to counter, etc. Staggering guys is the primary way to beat them down, and you can get staggered by a power attack if you're blocking for too long before it, etc.

Spazznid

Part 3 - Textures and Tables! {Part 1}

Skyrim HD
Not quite a fan of this one. There was another HD texture mod on the Nexus, but it was taken down, or something. This will have to do. Replaces a majority of the textures in Skyrim with good ones. This particular one doesn't always stay faithful to the vanilla game's theme, though.

SLoD Silly Level of Detail
Makes some of the smaller things in Skyrim look leagues better. There are versions that stay in the vein of Vanilla Skyrim and others that don't.

Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Makes the flora of Skyrim much nicer to look at, Higher Polygons, Higher Resolutions, you know. There are Vanilla flavored and non Vanilla flavored variations.

Ultimate HD Torch
Torches in Eightch Dii!

Ultimate HD Fire Spells
Spells... in Eightch Dii!

Finer Dust
Dust so fine, I made it mine...

W.A.T.E.R. - A Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux
Makes the water and rocks near water look nice and slippy!

Revamped Exterior Fog
Probably makes outside fog nicer. Sounded fancy, so I have it now.

Screenshots!

Most of the textures are good, the ones that aren't will be once I get SMIM installed. Framerate is still perfectly stable. The city scene was fluctuating between 53 and 59 though.

Spazznid

No worries, and I'll be looking into that lighting mod, thanks for that.

If anyone else would like to contribute in a similar fashion then please do.

Spazznid

Part 4 - More Textures and Models!

Realistic Smoke and Embers

Remover Interior Fog
Very good if you have an ENB.

SMIM - Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Replaces crappy models and textures with good ones. Very vanilla friendly.

No Menu and Loading Smoke
Get's rid of the smoke in the loading screens or the main menu. Apparently it can improve load times, but I also like it for the look. Smoke on black doesn't look so good with ENB's.

Realistic Paper
Boom!

High Realistic Tundra Moss

Get Snowy
Makes your character get covered in frost when it's snowing. A bit much but still nice.

Player Headtracking
Makes the player character turn their head towards NPC's when they get close. Nice little touch.

Shooting Stars

Wet and Cold
Adds drops of water to the Player when soaked. Blurs the vision when rain drops hit the screen if you're looking up. Adds breath when it's cold.

Realistic Mushrooms

Enhanced Distant Terrain
Gives the distan terrain a more subtly high resolution look. Great with ENB's.

Lush Grass
Pretty much one of the easier ways to kill your framerate.

Winter is Coming - Cloaks in Skyrim
Adds nice thick cloaks like those in Game of Thrones. With "Wet and Cold" it makes NPC's put on cloaks when it's cold or rainy, very nice.

Elaborate Textiles
Makes the Clothing in Skyrim easier on the eye by a lot.

FFS Better Bards
Makes the bards sing properly without that annoying and immersion-breaking moment of silence between each line...

83Willow's 101BugsHD
Adds more bugs and insect life to Skyrim. Nice touch. All of them are also ingredients in alchemy, so there's that.

High Definition Ivy

Better Dynamic Snow
Original snow is poopy and not detailed. Get this.

AEterna Circlets
Makes me actually want to use Circlets...

Weapon Retexture Project
Smexifies weapons.

UNP Female Armors
Remeshes the Vanilla Armors to fit better with UNP bodies. Required for UNP users! I also installed the Dawnguard and Dragonborn packs.

Porper Length Arrows
Makes the arrows longer, also results in arrows punching through their targets.

Screenshots!

In the city scene, the Framerate stayed at around 53 pretty consistently... Starting to hit the point where we'll see some change. I am very tired of Skyrim's lighting though, and I think that will be my next change...

Rekubot

There are actually quite a few mods that enhance the gameplay in significant ways, including changing the skill trees, (even to Oblivion style if you want), etc.

One that I am using is a combat mod that makes things stamina based, allows you to parry with two-handed weapons, etc. The enemies are much smarter and don't go "well, guess it was my imagination" when they have an arrow sticking out of their chest.

It also makes combat way more interesting and it also means that getting attacked by more than 1 or 2 guys at a time is VERY difficult to handle. Getting hit cleanly even a few times will kill you. You need to block each attack and be able to counter, etc. Staggering guys is the primary way to beat them down, and you can get staggered by a power attack if you're blocking for too long before it, etc.

Requiem - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281
Although i recommend version 1.0, because i personally dont like some changes from 1.5, but thats more my bias than real complain :)

Requiem is great and a real challenge until you reach the first dungeon and have to fight multiple draugr at once. Then it becomes impossible. Anybody got any tips?

Spazznid

Part 5 - The Kitchen Sink

Now to add some more mods...

SkyUI
ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED FOR KEYBOARD & MOUSE USERS.

Serana Revamp'd
No longer available, but I still have mine. It just makes Serana prettier, while not changing much.

Scenic Carriages
Allows you to physically ride in the back of travel carrieages, ala GTA 4 style. Nice little bit of atmosphere and great for RPing.

JaySuS Swords
Adds a large number of Lore-friendly and non-godly weapons to the game for a bit of flavor. Also adds them to the loot tables so enemy NPC's might carry them.

Interesting NPC's
Description:"This is a project to add color and life to Skyrim through three-dimensional NPCs. Each character is integrated into the world, with a backstory and an extensive dialogue tree to explore. Many of these characters are fully voiced by a talented team of over 50 voice actors. The dialogue choices allow you to role-play, providing humor and depth to each conversation. You can be a jerk or a jester, a white knight or an assassin, as the most important character is you."

AMAZING work.

Immersive Armors
Adds Dozens of amazingly lore-friendly armors to Skyrim. Brings much greater diversity, and is added to loot tables.
There's also a UNP Support module for it that I've installed.

Immersive Waepons
Same as above but with weapons.

Categorized Favorites Menu
Goes hand-in-hand with the SkyUI mod. Required for M&KB users. This is also pretty Controller friendly last time I checked.

Better Message Box Controls
Only for M&KB Users. Makes navigating the dialogue and confirmation boxes easier.

Auto-Unequip Ammo
One of my favorite Mods. Equips arrows/bolts automatically when you pull out their respective weapon, and unequips them when you pull out something else, like a sword.

aMidianBorn Book of Silence
Makes the Vanilla armor shiny and fresh. Better meshes and textures.

Amazing Follower Tweaks
I used to have a different mod for followers, but I actually like this one. It's simple and allows me to set their town clothes and armor. Also you can make them dance.

Well Placed Weapons & Quivers
I think this overwrites my Female bone mod, but I can always go back and reinstall that. Makes quivers and stuff not... Float...

Wearable Lanterns
Like in Dragon's Dogma!

Footprints
Adds footprints to the game.

Dead Body Collision Fix
makes dead bodies collide as physical objects. This means you can stand on and kick around dead bodies, like in Dead Space. :D

Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Trying this thanks to KKRT00. Will see if I like it. Adds more realistic and dynamic lights to Skyrim. I previously used Enhanced Lights and Effects, which this mod differs from a lot.

Climates of Tamriel
Changes the weather system in Skyrim as well as the lighting. I don't see too many differences, but I CAN say that I've noticed more "Kodak Moments" when using it than when NOT using it...

A Quality World Map
Makes the map nicer and adds roads. Very good.

High Quality 3d Map
Better Mesh for the Map as well as sharper texture. (I think, lol)

Screenshots!

The game is really starting to shape up. I'm loving this new lighting mod and I can't wait to see it with an ENB. I'd love it if anyone else has any suggestions.

I think next, I'll finish up with the remaining few armor mods I have left, and then I'll start on the ENB. I plan on taking comparable shots with a few major ENB's to see how they affect the game compared to vanilla as well as how they affect the Framerate. I'll probably be going without DoF until I nail down an ENB and then go through the different DoF's to see which one I like and how they each affect Framerate.

Opening all of the City and Tavern shots and seeing how Skyrim slowly changes is good fun as well.

I like some of the jewellery mods.
I cant run any mods that effect performance though. My 520 Gt wouldnt like it.

2013-02-10_00003.jpg

Mass effect 2 was my favorite RPG (and game), this gen, a few weeks ago. The amazing time Skyrim has given me, has made me re-think this though.

Spazznid

I like some of the jewellery mods.
I cant run any mods that effect performance though. My 520 Gt wouldnt like it.

2013-02-10_00003.jpg

Mass effect 2 was my favorite RPG (and game), this gen, a few weeks ago. The amazing time Skyrim has given me, has made me re-think this though.

It's a great game on a terrible engine and held back so much by it. Half of the mods are fixes and would be in a proper PC game from the start. That said, It's an amazing game and modding is half the fun (And 80% of the work, lol) Wait until you upgrade, it's going to blow your mind if you run an ENB at 60fps.

paile

Banned
You what I don't like? All the stuffing around you have to go through. I encountered this when overhauling Morrowind. You can't just have one mod package that has all the cool stuff, no, you have to do it all one by one. Install a better paper mod, install a better faces mod, install a better rock texture mod, install a better grass texture mod, install a better armour mod...on and on and on.

And if anyone collates a bunch of mods together to make it convenient and easier for us who just want to play the game with the best mods installed, all the mod makers have a major hissy fit and carry on about their work being distributed without their authorisation, even if they're given proper accreditation.

Turns me off from making the effort tbh.

As much as I share a lot of the complaints about the game, I still find myself going back to it from time to time with tons of mods. I just recently destroyed my installation with a texture optimization tool that failed to work. I'll have to blow it away at some point and start a new character, a magic user this time. I feel that I can overcome my issues with the game with my imagination for a while, until I kill my 50000 draughr, then I burnout and wait a few months. I'll read some fantasy novel or watch a fantasy movie or TV show and then feel inspired to go back in. Enemy variety is the one aspect that ultimately kills it for me and the one well received mod I saw to solve the issue, I think went a little too far. I'll have to see if that situation has changed.

Spazznid

You what I don't like? All the stuffing around you have to go through. I encountered this when overhauling Morrowind. You can't just have one mod package that has all the cool stuff, no, you have to do it all one by one. Install a better paper mod, install a better faces mod, install a better rock texture mod, install a better grass texture mod, install a better armour mod...on and on and on.

And if anyone collates a bunch of mods together to make it convenient and easier for us who just want to play the game with the best mods installed, all the mod makers have a major hissy fit and carry on about their work being distributed without their authorisation, even if they're given proper accreditation.

That's like buying premade homes with great art on all the walls, designer furniture in the rooms, and cars included with the garage. Having an all-in-one package would be great for newer modders in the fact that it'd make things easy, but there are a few problems with that.

What if I don't like the armor or grass you included in my All-in-one pack?

Why did you choose 'Mod A' instead of my 'Mod B'? I worked hard on that mod, are you saying theirs is better than mine?

What if I only want parts of the all-in-one pack?

The game updated and you have to update every mod that isn't compatible. not only is this annoying for you, but now I have to re-install the entire multiple gigs package because 30-40% of the mods needed updating.

Also, a lot of modders make themselves VERY well known in the community. If a friend asks me who makes some good armor, I can say ZeroFrost. A pack, even with a 'Credits' section in the readme, would fail to spread the word about an artist whos work the player is using.

Finally, I like modding. Please don't ever let it change. EVER.

Portugeezer

That's like buying premade homes with great art on all the walls, designer furniture in the rooms, and cars included with the garage. Having an all-in-one package would be great for newer modders in the fact that it'd make things easy, but there are a few problems with that.

What if I don't like the armor or grass you included in my All-in-one pack?

Why did you choose 'Mod A' instead of my 'Mod B'? I worked hard on that mod, are you saying theirs is better than mine?

What if I only want parts of the all-in-one pack?

I would take one easy install, worth the risk even if you don't end up liking a thing or two, rather than spending days installing several mods, testing, installing, etc.

Whatever effort you put into modding your game, the mod creators likely put in a 1000 times more and for no compensation other than the recognition of their work and the satisfaction that they are helping people get more out of their game. I find it hard to get upset with the mod community.

I would take one easy install, worth the risk even if you don't end up liking a thing or two, rather than spending days installing several mods, testing, installing, etc.

There are large packs that cover a lot of the game. If your looking to enhance your game but you don't want to spend too much time doing it, you can get massive armor, weapon and texture packs that make a huge difference with no more effort than installing the Nexus mod manager and clicking a link on a few easy to find pages.

Spazznid

hmmm took me about 25 minutes to make each post. about 10 minutes installing each wave of mods. 5 minutes playing through and checking the mods. All whilst watching Rock and Rule on Youtube.

I'm pretty much done with the mods. I'd say that's about two to four hours for me.

It takes about 1 minute to download and install a normal mod. maybe 5-10 minutes to download the big ones like Flora Overhaul or Skyrim HD. I don't get how it takes you days, but good luck with that. You might want to make sure you have Skyrim installed and your computer is plugged in and you are facing towards your monitor. If it takes you days to mod then god help you.

Modding doesn't have to be all at once either.

I didn't start with all of these mods, I picked them as they popped up on Nexus or whilst searching for new ones when I got bored. I check nexus every now and then and if there's a mod I like, I get it with the click of a button. Easy as that and just as fast. When I'm in the game and I see or notice something I don't like, I go to Nexus and mod it. Piece by piece.

Game looks great in stills, but there isn't a mod in the world that changes the choppy gamebryo animations, is there? :(
Nextgen and a new engine can't come soon enough.

Spazznid

Game looks great in stills, but there isn't a mod in the world that changes the choppy gamebryo animations, is there? :(
Nextgen and a new engine can't come soon enough.

Agreed.

Bethesda have done much better with animations in Skyrim compared to Oblivion, but after playing Dragon's Dogma, it's hard to go back...

Agreed.

Bethesda have done much better with animations in Skyrim compared to Oblivion, but after playing Dragon's Dogma, it's hard to go back...

If the next jump is twice as big as the one from oblivion to skyrim, I'd be satisfied. Since it's going to be a generational leap, I don't think that kind of magnitude is far fetched.

Ducarmel

My gaming pc is getting old, my card is only 512mb is there a good guide for good performance and decent graphics with low-res/reduced textures mods and settings.

on the flip side, I hate finding a mod I liked and having it include "my lore friendly sword from my fanfic Diane the Greatest Hunter as an easter egg heh heh enjoy!!! ;) :D xD ^____^"

Turns me off to installing the mod because it includes things I don't want and don't have anything to do with the mod I want.

Spazznid

My gaming pc is getting old, my card is only 512mb is there a good guide for good performance and decent graphics with low-res/reduced textures mods and settings.

HialgoBoost
Makes Skyrim run like a Track champion, but kinda messes with image quality.

Also, I think a friend tried this and had luck with it. With d9d3.dll files, make sure you aren't running EVGA Precision or anything like that. otherwise Skyrim won't start.

I use Hialgoboost on my humble PC and it works great.
The (temporary) image-quality loss is a minor trade off for a (generally) smooth frame rate, IMO.

Dries

Just installed like about 30 mods. A lot from this topic. Will all these mods work fine with DLC too? My game looks amazing btw.

Spazznid

Just installed like about 30 mods. A lot from this topic. Will all these mods work fine with DLC too? My game looks amazing btw.
Yes.
Most mod authors will update their mods if anything goes wrong.

Will be doing an analysis of different enbs in the coming days.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Need some mod reccomendations.

I want to do a co-op, zombie, and guns mod. DayZ and LFD aren't hitting the spot for me and my friend.
We don't own the game yet.

Thanks!

JackDT

Drives me insane too. I wish the mod community would realize simple one click installers that installed everything all at once would mean 100 times more people trying mods.

Even if I have 20 hours to spend individually downloading everything, figuring out all the tools, testing for conflicts, I can still get 15 hours into my actual game only to discover I screwed up the difficulty curve.

Please. One click and I have 'Action Skyrim'. Another click and I have 'hardcore sim Skyrim'. 1000 mods installed and configured with particular settings, playtested as an set over time.

There is some movement in this direction with Steamworks, but it doesn't cut it right now.

Spazznid

Loong while without an update, because I hated Skyrim for a while. Back to loving it for a bit, so here are the first few ENB presets I tried. I'll be posting a few and all of them will be in a few different areas in order to see the ENB's performance hit and image in different settings.

Also, note that I'm not using Depth of Field in these screens. This is because I'd like to see the impact the ENB has on the color and image before deciding what DoF effect to use...

First up, Project ENB - Seasons

NOTES

I like the Darkness in this one... heheheehe

But the terribly bright exteriors are killing it for me. In the autumn areas, it would be better with Depth of Field, but not in the Whiterun staircase area. it looks like I'm standing on the SUN! Turning the brightness in-game down can help, but I'd rather not have to abuse that too much.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So I just got Dawnguard and decided to wipe my mods and try some out. I don't wanna go crazy with it, and nothing that'll break solid 40+ FPS at a minimum. Gonna keep my eye on this thread. Just waiting for Steam to redownload Skyrim.

Levyne

Banned
I feel like I should put more effort into how I mod Skyrim.

I just went into the workshop, found a couple of the most popular effects/textures/sound mobs (most in a bundle or w/e you call it), installed them, loaded the game, "oh, that does look better", haven't touched since.

I doooo like how Workshop is basically "modding for dummies". It helps me out.

Loong while without an update, because I hated Skyrim for a while. Back to loving it for a bit, so here are the first few ENB presets I tried. I'll be posting a few and all of them will be in a few different areas in order to see the ENB's performance hit and image in different settings.

Also, note that I'm not using Depth of Field in these screens. This is because I'd like to see the impact the ENB has on the color and image before deciding what DoF effect to use...

First up, Project ENB - Seasons

NOTES

I like the Darkness in this one... heheheehe

But the terribly bright exteriors are killing it for me. In the autumn areas, it would be better with Depth of Field, but not in the Whiterun staircase area. it looks like I'm standing on the SUN! Turning the brightness in-game down can help, but I'd rather not have to abuse that too much.

I can't remember if v0.119 allows for in-game editing of settings for the ENB (I know the later ones do which is what I use), but if you open up the base Skyrim folder and look for the main ENB file (I can't remember what it is called... it is early and I'm at work) you can edit the direct lighting value for daytime lighting. Just drop it a bit and the standing on the sun brightness should go down a bit. You could also adjust some of the ambient lighting values too to make the daytime more to your liking. It'll change other aspects of daytime lighting, especially if you are using CoT or RLO, but you can just play with the settings until it works.

I've done that with every setting in the ENB I am using for Skyrim and it works wonders. No more crazy daytime brightness but a lot more natural brightness for interiors and exteriors.

Top Bottom