• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Effects of Mods in Skyrim

Spazznid

I can't remember if v0.119 allows for in-game editing of settings for the ENB (I know the later ones do which is what I use), but if you open up the base Skyrim folder and look for the main ENB file (I can't remember what it is called... it is early and I'm at work) you can edit the direct lighting value for daytime lighting. Just drop it a bit and the standing on the sun brightness should go down a bit. You could also adjust some of the ambient lighting values too to make the daytime more to your liking. It'll change other aspects of daytime lighting, especially if you are using CoT or RLO, but you can just play with the settings until it works.

I've done that with every setting in the ENB I am using for Skyrim and it works wonders. No more crazy daytime brightness but a lot more natural brightness for interiors and exteriors.

I know, but I'd rather give a fair representation of each ENB at it's base, so people will know how much modifying they'll be doing with said mods... I'd rather not have to tinker with it too much. I spent some time making my own ENB and it's like going deeper and deeper and I'd rather keep it simple.

I know, but I'd rather give a fair representation of each ENB at it's base, so people will know how much modifying they'll be doing with said mods... I'd rather not have to tinker with it too much. I spent some time making my own ENB and it's like going deeper and deeper and I'd rather keep it simple.

Oh, right. I totally missed the part (right at the beginning, I'm dumb) where you mentioned you were trying a few presets and testing the performance hit and such... I blame the morning and my grogginess. Apologies.

Anyway, I like the idea. There are a few ENB's that don't place nice with CoT and RLO, but it'll be nice to see what ones look good and work well. I wouldn't mind tossing in CoT and RLO, but the ENB I am using doesn't like them.

Spazznid

Sorry for the delay, Reinstalled, because I wanted to try some different mods. Regardless, these images are still on the old setup. New setup will look pretty much the same, but I got a new body mod among other things.

ENB Hollywood

iZrBgjwYG0GYC.png

I'm not too keen on the bland looking outside areas at noon, and the night scene outside, but those indoor scenes look great, IMO. Performance hit is not too bad, pretty much the same as Project ENB.

Great thread. Thanks for posting the before/after pics. Makes me want to go back to Skyrim on my rig with 100+ mods. Thanks HD 7970 ghz edition!

Spazznid

Great thread. Thanks for posting the before/after pics. Makes me want to go back to Skyrim on my rig with 100+ mods. Thanks HD 7970 ghz edition!

lol, trying to run the game modded to hell with ENB's on full blast, makes me hate my GTX 580... Need the next series to come out, so I can upgrade!

lol, trying to run the game modded to hell with ENB's on full blast, makes me hate my GTX 580... Need the next series to come out, so I can upgrade!

Yeah. Not to mention the ENB mods are hellish to configure. I think I stopped using ENB because of the darkness. I'll have to post some screenshots tonight.

Arucardo

My PC
GTX 580 Not Overclocked
i5 2500k Not Overclocked
8 Gig RAM
1 TB HDD
Windows 7 Pro
Fraps
Wat, why?

You can get a noticeable improvement in a whole lot of games even with a 3,8 or 4gHz overclock and that i5 will handle it just fine even with the tiny stock air cooler. Unless you're running some sort of tiny mATX case I see no reason why not to OC it.

EDIT: I ran mine at 4ghz for 12 to 18 months with the stock cooler without any issues (now running 4,5ghz with a water cooling kit)

KKRT00

Wat, why?

You can get a noticeable improvement in a whole lot of games even with a 3,8 or 4gHz overclock and that i5 will handle it just fine even with the tiny stock air cooler. Unless you're running some sort of tiny mATX case I see no reason why not to OC it.

EDIT: I ran mine at 4ghz for 12 to 18 months with the stock cooler without any issues (now running 4,5ghz with a water cooling kit)

Not always You can overclock. For example i cant overclock my i5 2500k, because its too hot/unstable on stock cooler and overclocking below 3.8ghz doesnt make sense for me personally. I hadnt had luck of getting 4ghz on stock voltage on my unit unfortunately ;\

Sblargh

Banned
I just got Skyrim on PC, after having platinum'd on PS3, and here's a funny story.

So I go and install some 60+ mods, right? Then I start the main quest and when I am about to absorb my first dragon... nothing happens. Try again and nothing. The script is messed up, I can't do the first quest.

So I go "fucking mods" and google to try and find which is giving me trouble. As it turns out, the bug was coming from the Dragonborn DLC and to fix it I needed... a mod.

So keep doing the gods work, community. Bethesda got nothing on y'all.

Spazznid

I'm not well versed enough to overclock my CPU, not that I've looked into it that much, plus, my stock cooler is just barely on, when I built my PC, i kind of messed up my Cooler's connectors, so only 3 of the 4 are bolted tightly, lol. When I get a new card, I'll probably be getting a new HDD/SSD and better cooling, so that's when I plan on figuring that situation out.

Is there a simple guide to overclocking it or an easy way to do it? Also, my Bios are the "Easy, use your mouse, something like Euffe-blah-blah bios" I'm too lazy to go digging for the box, or name on google.

:D

I'm not well versed enough to overclock my CPU, not that I've looked into it that much, plus, my stock cooler is just barely on, when I built my PC, i kind of messed up my Cooler's connectors, so only 3 of the 4 are bolted tightly, lol. When I get a new card, I'll probably be getting a new HDD/SSD and better cooling, so that's when I plan on figuring that situation out.

Is there a simple guide to overclocking it or an easy way to do it? Also, my Bios are the "Easy, use your mouse, something like Euffe-blah-blah bios" I'm too lazy to go digging for the box, or name on google.

:D

You can try to search for an overclocking guide for your chip and motherboard. For popular combinations there are often guides I believe. I learned how to overclock mine that way, although I was never patient enough to test its stability articulately enough to maximize the OC.

Here are some screenshots I took to show some off some interesting lighting and scenery.

The rest of the album is here.

lmpaler

God I cannot wait for this game to go on sale to try this. It looks great with the high rez textures, but the ENB stuff is jaw dropping at times.

Running a i5-3570k @ 4.5GHz
GTX 670 FTW Edition
16GB RAM
Windows 8

Anyone with a similar or closely similar setup be able to comment on performance with a heaily modded Skyrim?

Atruvius

God I cannot wait for this game to go on sale to try this. It looks great with the high rez textures, but the ENB stuff is jaw dropping at times.

GTX 670 FTW Edition
16GB RAM
Windows 8

Anyone with a similar or closely similar setup be able to comment on performance with a heaily modded Skyrim?

I have a similarish set-up.
Running a i5-3570k, no overclocks
GTX 670
8GB RAM
Windows 7

I have Bethesda's high res packs + fix to them. Lighting mod, better grass and trees, high res armor, better skin texture, and a mod that makes some meshes better. And an ENB. Those are the most graphically intensive mods I have.

With that I get usually 50 - 60 fps depending on how much stuff is on screen, but I don't have AO or DOF enabled. With those enabled the framerate hovers around 30 +- 5 when outside.

Also, I'd advice not changing the uGrids from the ini file. It made my game stutter a lot, load times longer + some other annoyances.

Minamu

Are there any performance mods floating around? I don't really care about upping the detail on character models and such, and the game doesn't really run all that great even in 720p for me. Lowering the graphics obviously help but I'd rather not do that.

GTX 670 FTW Edition
16GB RAM
Windows 8

My Skyrim is very heavily modded and I have a similar setup.
i5-3570k
HD 7970 ghz edition (overclocked)
8gb ram
Win 8

I have no issues with it.

Spazznid

best thread to ask this i guess

is there a way to change the resolution while ingame?

Good god, I wish there was. I suppose using the one mod that changes your res when you turn, but that doesn't play well with ENB, in my experience... Hidalgo or something.

Jabba

Banned
If you want an all in one easy install, do the legwork, contact all the artists and modders. Get their permission, then release it yourself.

What an unfair complaint to the people who put the time in to mod and increase enjoyment for free.

Top Bottom