• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: PS Vita digital purchases better than PS3

Massa

Well, this is interesting news. Reported by Destructoid.

"Digital business is the faster growing business," Yoshida said. "We do not publish numbers, but every month it's almost a new record that the purchase on Vita is higher than the PS3, because everything is available [digitally]."

While Vita hardware sales obviously need to get better, it's a good sign for software support that the profitable digital space is getting some love from its userbase.

FluxWaveZ

It also helps that a lot of the downloadable versions of Vita games have discounts compared to the retail ones upon release.

For my Vita I believe I'm around one physical purchase (actually came with the system I bought from a coworker) and around 15+ digital purchases now? And I only have an 8GB stick! Yay for juggling data. Ugh.

Skyzard

Banned
I had a feeling it would be. iOS made digital with handhelds a must and it suits Vita perfectly...except for the prices (which are sometimes worse on PS3 though). Trying to make myself wait for the sales more often these days. I only have 2 retail titles so far on Vita...don't want to count how many digital games I've bought lol. Many.

Would help if they dropped the card prices too though, occasionally I skip games despite low prices since they'd take up crucial space (which effectively costs quite a bit per GB too).

Given the dearth of retail games, is it really surprising to see digital sales overtaking them for a small but dedicated userbase which is starving for new games to play?

vocab

Honestly, it's not that surprising. Day 1 digital/crossbuy for vita is probably the biggest thing vita has going for it. I haven't really bought any ps3 digital games because I'm running low on HD space/there isn't anything worth getting because I can get it on steam/gog.

Is he talking about digital full games or PSN vs PSN digital purchases in general. If it's the former than it's not surprising at all.

Wow, their digital sales on PS3 must suck.

For full games why in the world would you buy digital? The only time I even considered it was for a sale.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All the more reason for memcard price cuts, especially if the Vita isn't getting it.

They make more bank having overpriced memory cards + the digital content.

Also this isnt that surprising. The Jetpack Joyride download numbers revealed as much, Vita owners are much more likely to check out stuff in the store.

Not surprising at all. The carts are pretty small, plus every single release is day-one digital and some are offered at a discounted price. Only bad thing about digital purchases are the overpriced memory sticks.

It keeps getting proven that the vita has a very high attach rate. Sony just need evangelize that message to indie dev and publishers a lot better. Vita may not have the 3DS userbase, but those that are there love the system and buy a lot of stuff.

Skyzard

Banned
It keeps getting proven that the vita has a very high attach rate. Sony just need evangelize that message to indie dev and publishers a lot better. Vita may not have the 3DS userbase, but those that are there love the system and buy a lot of stuff.

Really agree with this as well. Hopefully they are!

E3 is too far away.. what is this playstation thing next week though...?

Zee-Row

Banned
I wonder if Sony will release bigger memory cards for the Vita and drop the prices of the current cards? I need a 64GB card.

Drago

I'm still rocking discs for home consoles, but I'll be going all digital when I get a Vita. I would have gone all digital for 3DS too if all the games were digital from the start, and the games weren't locked to the system.

Everyone is saying the market is changing, which is obviously true, but that doesn't mean that the market is changing in *ONLY* negative ways for the big three. While the 3DS may never reach the heights of the DS, and the Vita certainly isn't going to hit PSP totals... im sure Nintendo and Sony will still make decent bank with their online store. Smaller userbase but more cash from the customers. I'm sure they are ok with that.

Fusebox

Banned
I can't imagine digital purchases being that high on Vita to being with... :/

Serious? The only reason I'd buy a physical Vita copy is if it was way cheaper than the digital or if it wasn't available on digital.

Having all your games on a single memory card is portable gaming holy grail.

It shows you what a competent e-commerce/account system can net you. Every game I own on Vita (roughly 10) were all purchased from the digital store. Conversely I've bought none from Nintendo. I tend to sell or trade-in my console games, so I get them all via Amazon.

saichi

Is he talking about digital full games or PSN vs PSN digital purchases in general. If it's the former than it's not surprising at all.

For full games why in the world would you buy digital? The only time I even considered it was for a sale.

I would also assume it means the full game purchase although it doesn't change the fact that the number for PS3 must be really low since PS3 has a 75+ mil base while VITA is around 4. However, it is also not surprising. Other than the price you mention, PS3 games are significant larger download than VITA games.

UberTag

Vita games I have purchased digitally:

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
DJMAX Technika Tune
Dokuro
escapeVektor
Gravity Rush
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Hustle Kings
Knytt Underground
LittleBigPlanet VITA
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Mortal Kombat
MotorStorm RC
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
Persona 4 Golden
The Pinball Arcade
Plants vs. Zombies
Puddle
PulzAR
Rayman Origins
Retro City Rampage
Sine Mora
Sound Shapes
SunFlowers
Super Stardust Delta
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
Wipeout 2048
ZEN Pinball 2
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

That's 34 games in total thus far. May need to tear myself away from Fire Emblem sometime soon to nab Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time as well.

I've also gotten Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Jet Set Radio free through Plus and Jetpack Joyride as a freemium title. Plus I've purchased a handful of PSMobile titles (go buy Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender) to supplement my existing digital PS1/PSP/PSMini title library.

gryz

Banned
I've actually switched back to physical vita games for the most part. I like having just 1 game in the system to focus on at a time.

i get distracted when there are like 200 games installed to choose from.

mothball

Probably helps that PSP owners got burned by UMDs in the transition to Vita.

Only two things keeping me from going all-digital on Vita: the memory card prices and the inability to back up only the save of a digital Vita game. Every time I want to back up my Uncharted save there's a nice 10 minute wait as all 3GB transfers over.

Hmm... maybe three. I like looking over at my bookshelf and seeing the stack of game boxes.

My Vita case has sleeves for tons of games, and I always toss the whole case in my backpack, so...I prefer retail. Glad to hear that it's doing well in any respect though.

Derrick01

Banned
Holy hell how bad are the numbers on PS3 then?

On a side note there are about 3 or 4 games I bought digitally on Vita only because most stores only carry a small set of games. Most of them being launch titles.

Tobor

This matches up with Ubisofts numbers. They claimed the average was 6-7% of sales are digital, with Vita doing 15-20% digital.

Sandfox

If PS3 games weren't as big as they were and didn't take super long to download the numbers would probably be higher.

Subaru

I was in NYC and I haven't found in *4* gamestops any copy of Street Fighter x Tekken, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Persona 4 Golden.
The vita display is a shame, it's not surprising that the games aren't selling in the stores if you can't actually buy them there.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I was in NYC and I haven't found in *4* gamestops any copy of Street Fighter x Tekken, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Persona 4 Golden.
The vita display is a shame, it's not surprising that the games aren't selling in the stores if you can't actually buy them there.

The Vita shelves at Best Buy are even worse. It's like 6 games and tons of empty spaces. Depressing looking.

Awesome news, it's a great platform and hopefully as word spreads of this more devs come and then more people want to buy it and then the cycle keeps repeating :) Also I find it hilarious that this thread hasn't hit two pages yet.

Mileena

Banned
Awesome news, it's a great platform and hopefully as word spreads of this more devs come and then more people want to buy it and then the cycle keeps repeating :) Also I find it hilarious that this thread hasn't hit two pages yet.

What the hell do you expect when it's positive Vita news? :p

DR2K

Banned
Alspo both 3DS and Vita have diminished at retail, barely any shelf space games only getting 1-2 copies shipped per store, and being available for download day 1.

Top Bottom