• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: PS Vita digital purchases better than PS3

Bowler

Every time I go to bestbuy or target, or GameStop, I always have my finger crossed that who ever runs the department actually looked on there retails shelves, and made something of these displays. There horrible, and they don't seem to care. (WiiU display as well)
I walk away disappointed every time.

Sera O

Banned
Such a high attach rate is pretty positive news. I thought it would be high, but not higher than PS3.

Vita has kind of converted me to digital purchasing. I do still prefer to buy physical copies of games (especially ones with a 'story' I will eventually complete), but the convenience and instant gratification have really gotten to me. I have bought tons of stuff digitally for the Vita and the memory card is filling up.

In contrast, I won't consider getting downloadable 3ds games unless I have no other option. I was so pissed off when the thing broke and it turned out the games were tied to the console (I know I should have looked into it first, but I didn't even think that would be an issue - seems pretty outdated).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sony needs to release a 64GB and a 128GB card.

I only have like 2gb left on my 32GB card....

I've hobbled back and forth between 4 and 8 for a bit. I don't have the money right now but in the future, a 64GB card would be swell.

P90

That is where I am, as well. A Sony Ambassador program in the form of a free 128 GB card would be awesome. (yeah. I am dreaming).

Do you think they might do that? Aren't they making pure profit from the memory cards?

They might do that on a revision. If the 4G/HDMI out rumor is true, then that will likely have a built in storage solution. There'll probably be a Vita 2000 at that time too, so maybe 8GB for wi fi and 16 for LTE version.

MCs are extremely high profit margin products. A 32GB class 4 micro sd card from sandisk cost $39.99 and is on sale at amazon now for $22.24

Vita's MC's are not better than SD cards in read and write speeds, maybe even worse with the performance between a class 2 and class 6 card. I think Sony could sell the 32GB MC for $30 and still make a profit on it.

I say get rid of the 4GB, drop the price of the 8, 16, and 32GB by 50% or more and release a 64 and 128GB.

Prices should be:
8GB - $14.99
16GB - $24.99
32GB - $39.99
64GB - $59.99
128GB - $99.99

I think that would still give Sony some nice profit margins, but of course, that ain't gonna happen.

Sky Chief

The Vita attach rate has to be sky high. I know I have a bit of a "problem" especially with all the great sales they have been having lately.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The Vita attach rate has to be sky high. I know I have a bit of a "problem" especially with all the great sales they have been having lately.

I personally have 20+ games on the system, including the Plus games. So good... And this month's anniversary discounts will mean I will buy even more.

The article in the OP clearly says that Vita's digital purchases are higher than the PS3's. No ambiguity about that.

I don't know, it's a very weird way to word it. Maybe it's because he's not a native english speaker which gives me my doubts based on the phrasing.

I love just throwing my Vita in the bag knowing I can play some FF:Tactics, Wipeout and FF:VII just like that. I have a 3DSXL also but I prefer to buy the carts for those.

Nuklear

Banned
He's not talking about download rates. It IS a shocker that Vita's 4 million user base downloads more raw games than PS3's 70 million userbase.

It's not too many. PSN Downloads are very slow and downloading PS3 games makes me very hesistant to buy any PS3 games digitally. If the PSN Store had lighting fast download speed I would be more inclined to buy digitally for it.

The only reason I buy digitally almost elusively for my Vita is because I want all my games on one memory card. Lugging around carts for a portable system is a thing of the past for me. It's part of the reason why I barely play my 3DS anymore and I'm seriously considering selling it or giving it to my niece.

wilflare

I love just throwing my Vita in the bag knowing I can play some FF:Tactics, Wipeout and FF:VII just like that. I have a 3DSXL also but I prefer to buy the carts for those.

ditto.
but if 3DSXL allows digital purchases to play on two or more machines.. then that would change

I have 1 cart (mlb the show) and about 10 digital games. Regret buying the cart so i'll most likely get the next mlb digital and be done with it.

They're pushing for day 1 digital for all PS4 games which is awesome. Hate buying a game then 3 months later they have a digital copy to get people to double dip.

EMT0

Banned
They might do that on a revision. If the 4G/HDMI out rumor is true, then that will likely have a built in storage solution. There'll probably be a Vita 2000 at that time too, so maybe 8GB for wi fi and 16 for LTE version.

MCs are extremely high profit margin products. A 32GB class 4 micro sd card from sandisk cost $39.99 and is on sale at amazon now for $22.24

Vita's MC's are not better than SD cards in read and write speeds, maybe even worse with the performance between a class 2 and class 6 card. I think Sony could sell the 32GB MC for $30 and still make a profit on it.

I say get rid of the 4GB, drop the price of the 8, 16, and 32GB by 50% or more and release a 64 and 128GB.

Prices should be:
8GB - $14.99
16GB - $24.99
32GB - $39.99
64GB - $59.99
128GB - $99.99

I think that would still give Sony some nice profit margins, but of course, that ain't gonna happen.

I would buy that 128GB card at that price in a heartbeat(If I had a Vita....)

Afrit

Perhaps there is a secret sauce added in its production. otherwise, why the hell no one was able to reverse engineer it, yet, if it's just like an SD format.

Perhaps there is a secret sauce added in its production. otherwise, why the hell no one was able to reverse engineer it, yet, if it's just like an SD format.

The secret is retailers don't want people to buy them and download their games so they refuse to stock Vita or its memory cards unless they can make a huge chunk of change on those large memory cards so they don't get cut out of the profits completely.

Afrit

The secret is retailers don't want people to buy them and download their games so they refuse to stock Vita or its memory cards unless they can make a huge chunk of change on those large memory cards so they don't get cut out of the profits completely.

oh I see, it's something similar to the reason that prevent the digital games to undercut retailers by a huge margin.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I have 1 cart (CoD lol) and an almost full 32gb card. Being able to play SoTN and Chrono Cross everywhere is a godsend. Once Hotline Miami comes out ill never put it down.

Quasar

He's not talking about download rates. It IS a shocker that Vita's 4 million user base downloads more raw games than PS3's 70 million userbase.

I'm not that surprised given how few titles get a digital release on ps3 compred the 100% of vita games.

Razgreez

I'm not that surprised given how few titles get a digital release on ps3 compred the 100% of vita games.

For me it helps that the equivalent of $50 PSN cards here cost $44 so that's already a 11% saving going in. Once i see games on sale on the store it's very difficult to resist. Splurged way too much on this anniversary sale

Meier

Not really. Who wants to download 15 GB games on PSN's slowass network? It took me almost a week of intermittent play to DL Infamous 2.

I have far more physical games for Vita. The only digital I bought was Katamari. Also have Gravity Rush and Uncharted as well now via PS+. Memory card prices make it unpalatable.

Top Bottom