• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Says Competing Xbox and PlayStation Consoles Are a 'Benefit' but Not a 'Necessity'

Topher

Gold Member

But he's still firm that physical games aren't going away.​

In recent weeks, a flurry of Xbox rumors about everything from platform exclusivity, the future of the company as a hardware maker, and more have prompted fans to start speculating whether or not there will even be an Xbox console for the next hardware generation. Xbox head Phil Spencer has been gearing up to explain the company's business plan in an update next week, but in the meantime, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick is keeping a relatively cool head about how any of it will impact his company's business.

Speaking to IGN ahead of the release of Take-Two's Q3 earnings, Zelnick spoke about both the future of physical games media as well as whether or not having two competing consoles was a necessity. We pointed out the persistent rumors that Xbox seems to be backing away from selling physical games, and asked Zelnick if Take-Two still saw value in releasing physical games on Xbox in light of that - especially since 95% of the company's net bookings last quarter were digital anyway.

Zelnick answered with a line he's used before when asked about other types of business models: "We'll be where the consumer is."

" I think I said, I think ten years ago, I was asked what will be the market share of digital distribution in ten years and I said, most of it. [Author's Note: We couldn't find this precise quote, but he did predict digital would grow significantly.] But there will almost certainly be a physical market that extends for quite a long time. There still is in the recorded music business, for example. We'll support that if it makes sense to support it. We don't make our decisions based on opinions. We base our decisions on where the consumer is."

"It's not costly to master something for physical distribution."

I pressed him on the situation with Xbox specifically, and Zelnick reiterated his stance. Xbox's own moves will certainly inform their decision, he said, because they can't publish physical games on a console if it doesn't support them. But what it all comes down to is still consumer behavior.

Then, he added:

"It's not costly to master something for physical distribution. As long as you don't produce too much inventory, it's not costly...So this isn't a big decision for us. It was a big decision 30 years ago in the business when we had to produce cartridges, and you couldn't do anything with them...but today we can order a disc and five days later it can be on the shelf."

Finally, I asked Zelnick if he felt it was important to his business and the health of the video game market to have an Xbox console competing with PlayStation. He replied: "I think it's a benefit. Do I think ultimately it's a necessity? No. But I do think it's a benefit."

Take-Two reported net bookings of $1.34 billion in the last quarter, down 3% year-over-year, and 95% of which were digital. Grand Theft Auto 5 sold yet another five million copies, bringing it up to over 195 million total units, and NBA 2K24 crossed the 7 million units sold mark as well. The company lowered its fiscal outlook for the full year due to a mix of factors including the delay of No Rest for the Wicked, weakening mobile ad spend, and lower than expected performance of NBA 2K. The new outlook expects between $5.25 billion to $5.3 billion in net bookings.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Last edited:

unlurkified

I’m sorry but barring Nintendo, whether or not physical exists in the future will be up to the good graces of Sony alone if MS stops offering it. They could easily just say, “deal with it,” and there’d be no recourse.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m sorry but barring Nintendo, whether or not physical exists in the future will be up to the good graces of Sony alone if MS stops offering it. They could easily just say, “deal with it,” and there’d be no recourse.

I don't know about anyone else, but I won't be buying any consoles that don't offer the capability to play physical media. The walled gardens of console digital shops keep the prices far, far too inflated, and allow hardware manufacturers to pull whatever greedy shit they so desire.

Last edited:

Aces High

Consoles are a logical consequence.

Even Valve understood that at some point.

Valve is promoting their underpowered handheld with the fixed hardware target and low-level API marketing and the same PCMR dudes who bash Sony for the same marketing are promoting valve's.

Just another joke in an industry full of clowns.

Puscifer

Valve is promoting their underpowered handheld with the fixed hardware target and low-level API marketing and the same PCMR dudes who bash Sony for the same marketing are promoting valve's.

Robb

Gold Member
Easy to say when you’re sitting on one of the biggest, most sought after franchises in the entire industry.

Even if Sony would ever get into any kind of monopolistic position and start to increase commission (i.e. going up from the current 30% standard “just because they can”) Take2 would probably be safe from price hikes since they have leverage and something worth negotiating.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Of course it is a benefit for them, how else would they get a big fat check for a marketing deal?
It's not a necessity because GTA6 will sell millions either way.

ahtlas7

It would make leveraging exclusive console content much more difficult for T2. Do I expect the CEO to announce that to shareholders?

Fabieter

Every company and platform has its fanboys who eat up everything. Its always said to be console only but it's far from it.

Fabieter

Less competition IS never good for anyone other that the company with the Monopoly

Be ready for 999€ consoles , 100€ games + increase of PS+ if MS vanishes.

I would bet 999€ against that.

We didn't see 499€ for MS Window's over the years just because they had a monopoly over the pc os market and lets be serious even if ms is going away there is still pc and Nintendo the OS Market didnt have any competition for four decade and no one fucking cared. I

I don't know about anyone else, but I won't be buying any consoles that don't offer the capability to play physical media. The walled gardens of console digital shops keep the prices far, far too inflated, and allow hardware manufacturers to pull whatever greedy shit they so desire.

Sounds like you'll be giving up gaming, unless you're saying somehow it's okay for PC to be digital only?

I get some of the consternation around physical media, but I haven't purchased physical for two generations now and there are tangible benefits to digital, such as being able to easily migrate a game library over several years and that it makes the likelihood of BC much higher.

In reality, digital and FC might be creating an issue where it's much better to buy games for cheap and amass a large backlog of games so that you never have to pay full price for most games.

I think that is why we're seeing some waning of software sales in consoles as they become more like PC. Will PS4 games still be listed in the PS6 store? How much will they cost and will they continue to get enhancements? It makes sense on an individual basis to update a game like say the Witcher with next gen enhancements, but holistically, it probably hurts software sales.

Mr.Phoenix

If I were MS, rather than buy Activision, I would have paid T2, $7B just to have GTA6 as an xbox exclusive for one year.

Watch that one game save their entire platform's future.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sounds like you'll be giving up gaming, unless you're saying somehow it's okay for PC to be digital only?

PC is a different thing to consoles when it comes to digital games. Games receive far bigger discounts, there are competing digital stores, there is proper competition. Steam is a far better platform than any other of the walled gardens that the consoles employ.

Top Bottom