• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Says Red Dead Redemption Port Pricing Is 'Commercially Accurate' - RDR2 has sold 55m copies worldwide

Vox Machina

Banned
Commercially Accurate is the best kind of Accurate

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Vandole

Do people really give a crap about Undead Nightmare? Hell do they even remember Undead Nightmare? Always dismissed it as something just riding high of the Zombie craze of the late HD era and nothing more.
When it came out I considered it the best DLC ever released. It was part of the zombie craze that permeated all media, movies, tv, etc but that doesn't mean it wasn't extremely well done. It basically was its own standalone Western horror game and it was outstanding.

I don't know if I still consider it the best DLC of all time, and honestly that term has really changed a lot in the past 10 years, but I still love it and it's the bar that other DLC bundles get measured against.

DaGwaphics

Glad I bought it on Xbox for $10. Is this really just a straight port of the og game for $50? What upgrades did it get?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
To me that just says: Let's see if we can get away with this pricing. Using RD2 as a backboard to sell this thing is a pretty bold move.
Let's see if it pays off.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Nice try.
There angry at anti Consumer tactics.
I don't get this whole anti-consumer stuff. If you're a consumer and something doesn't align for you, than don't be a consumer. Consumers consume, if you don't want to consume this than consume something else. There's nothing anti about it. You still have free will and a choice.

You've already waited 13 years, what's six more months? Stick it to these assholes who think they can get away with Nintendo-level fuckery.

CGNoire

I don't get this whole anti-consumer stuff. If you're a consumer and something doesn't align for you, than don't be a consumer. Consumers consume, if you don't want to consume this than consume something else. There's nothing anti about it. You still have free will and a choice.
I wonder if you get cancer one day if youll still have that same attitude when your "choice" is between "Commercial Accurate" priced medication and cheaper Holistic remedies.

dummydecoy

Do people really give a crap about Undead Nightmare? Hell do they even remember Undead Nightmare? Always dismissed it as something just riding high of the Zombie craze of the late HD era and nothing more.
My PS3 copy is still sealed to this day, didnt have the urge to play it despite loving every minute of RDR. I also thought the same.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Wait, so is it 55 or 54 million copies sold? Also their pricing isn't market accurate, it's being high for the sake of a supposed "premium" port. And people will pay.
If people will pay, then it's accurate. That's all that matters.

MadPanda

Banned
55 mil copies sold and they couldn't bother to update the online part of the game? I hope we get a sequel or whatever one day, even though I don't know about the story...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
As long as GTA 6 I'd filled to the brim with single player content, I'm not going to complain too much. Rockstars budget for GTA 6 will most likely be twice as expensive as any game in history
i want it to happen but i doubt that

Problably just your usual huge detailed world design with nothing to do, and its reserves for GTA online.

Filben

Well, he can't really say "because you idiotic fuck heads pay that price". So it's kind of corporate accuracy.

And even if only 100,000 people buy it it turns to profit given it took them near zero effort.

As long as GTA 6 I'd filled to the brim with single player content, I'm not going to complain too much. Rockstars budget for GTA 6 will most likely be twice as expensive as any game in history
You're being naive. For your sake, I hope you're right, but in the current AAA industry the larger focus is on monetary models and microtransactions. They'll place higher priority on the online mode.

Also, making a budget insanely high does not equate to a quality product. If the $USD 2 billion budget rumor is anything to go by, then that may indicate development has been reset a couple of times which is not a good thing.

It is not about how capitalism works, it is about a once loved company who did everything it touched in a pretty passionate way and added a big amount of value to the gaming space.
Now, many things they do feel like Ubisoft or EA – companies who have a tendency to don’t care about the art form of gaming at all.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean if it’s 4k30 it’s doing almost as much as most remasters. It’s just too expensive

'Looks at GTA V Online vs the single player portion'

cfC1aOV.jpg
GTA V had more single player content than 99% of video games. And People said the same thing about RDR2 and yet it easily has 200+ hrs of single player content. GTA online is obviously a juggernaut, but nothing in Rockstar's history suggests they won't have a full length expansive story.

And this is why I laughed and didn't care about rockstar when they got hacked/discord infiltrated with those massive GTA 6 leaks. They clearly don't give a fuck about their fans.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You guys really think Switch owners won’t buy this? They’ve never had a Red Dead Redemption game.

They’re also used to paying higher prices than anyone else.

You're being naive. For your sake, I hope you're right, but in the current AAA industry the larger focus is on monetary models and microtransactions. They'll place higher priority on the online mode.

Also, making a budget insanely high does not equate to a quality product. If the $USD 2 billion budget rumor is anything to go by, then that may indicate development has been reset a couple of times which is not a good thing.
Highly doubtful Rockstar had to reboot GTA 6. They have some of the best developers in the industry that are perfecting a known formula they created 20+ years ago. And The 2 billion reported budget included 10+ years of GTA online expansions. The base game is probably around 1 billion. Which would make sense with 5000+ developers and 7ish years of full development time

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You guys really think Switch owners won’t buy this? They’ve never had a Red Dead Redemption game.

They’re also used to paying higher prices than anyone else.
No?!

We know people will buy this. He knows people will buy this. GTA Trilogy shitshow was proof of that. Hence, minimal effort.

Mr Branding

Along with Gta 4 DLC, Shivering isles, Dragonborn and the Witcher 3 expansions, Undead Nightmare is one of the best DLC ever made in the history of videogames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom