• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare Coming to Switch and PS4 (Digital August 17th, Physical October 13th)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I take the fact that there's no PS5 version means that they are working on one, and hopefully, it will have 40 fps fidelity mode as well as a 60 fps 1440p mode.
Just like Xbox Series X|S not having a version, nope… it is because it is already there with BC.

They did not even bother redoing the UI and left it at 720p getting upscaled to 4K… 🤢.

Deerock71

I rarely get outraged about gaming news but man, I still can't believe this is a thing.

R* are basically a mini publisher, and a hugely profitable one like that, yet they couldn't even fund a remaster? Let alone a remake.

It's just unbelievable, seems like they learned nothing from the GTA Trilogy.
I get the pissing and moaning about the price, but this isn't comparable to how the GTA Trilogy launched. I'd say this is more akin to Metroid Prime: Remastered.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
If this had 60 fps (preferrably unlocked) I think most people would have been OK with the package. It doesn't seem to be broken.

However, the thing that has so many frustrated is that they already have a built and updated map in RDR2, which was all but screaming "we will re-release" RDR1 with the RDR2 map and graphics.

If they add a 60 fps patch to the current version then I will buy it eventually.

As of now, I will not pay for a game that is 30 fps only. No fucking way.
Yeah, I am happy for the people who are enjoying this as it looks really good from screenshots. I just cannot justify paying £40 for a game that is 10 years old with no frame rate bump. It’s 2023 and the switch is running this thing at 60fps. I would rather just wait for the PS5 version or if they will do a patch maybe. The only way to send some sort of message is to not purchase, but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yeah, I am happy for the people who are enjoying this as it looks really good from screenshots. I just cannot justify paying £40 for a game that is 10 years old with no frame rate bump. It’s 2023 and the switch is running this thing at 60fps. I would rather just wait for the PS5 version or if they will do a patch maybe. The only way to send some sort of message is to not purchase, but I doubt it will make much of a difference.
REALLY good on Switch OLED my friends never knews how fun and good RDR on portable waaaayyy better then those crud GTA Grovers Street Games

Banjo64

cumsessed
I get the pissing and moaning about the price, but this isn't comparable to how the GTA Trilogy launched. I'd say this is more akin to Metroid Prime: Remastered.
It’s definitely somewhere in the middle, Prime had a lot more work done on it. That being said, it was a Game Cube game, not a PS3 game, so it needed a lot more work.

As a reminder, £33.95 physical pre-order on Switch.

Roufianos

I meant more in terms of a lack of effort. I'd have thought they'd have tried a little harder this time.

He'll, even 60fps would have gone a long way.

Seider

Red Dead Redemption 2 has sold 55 million units since launch. With that in mind i understand the high price on this remaster. Its a very big name in videogame industry now.

18a10e7c3e097-screenshotUrl.jpg
I know it is a bird in the picture, but a part of my brain can't help but think it's a witch!

Burn-the-Witch-Meme.png

Last edited:
I rarely get outraged about gaming news but man, I still can't believe this is a thing.

R* are basically a mini publisher, and a hugely profitable one like that, yet they couldn't even fund a remaster? Let alone a remake.

What should they learn?? That every low effort cashgrab sells millions of copies because the dumb gamer buys their crap no matter what the quality is because of the Scamstar logo on it??

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Watching the MVG video, pretty impressive on a modded Switch to hit 60fps.

And on PC, I saw on Reddit this hitting an easy 4k with the modded 60fps.

Rockstar needs to do better. Glad it's been ported and the studio did good but to not unlock the frame rate to 60 is poor form. Better than the GTA Trilogy but still taking a half step back.

Yes, 60fps matters that much.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If the price and GHOULISH, GHASTLY, HORRIFYING!!! 30 fps don't put you off, that is.*

*loving it here

Yeah not minding the 30 here. Its no Insomniac 30fps but its fine for me. Ive been rolling on Quality mode for most of the heavy hitters this year anyway (Dead Space, Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor, FF16, Tears) so it doesnt faze me in the slightest.

K8kFFch.jpg
RlV2whR.jpg
XBnm0jt.jpg
yW28abc.jpg

Last edited:

Zheph

Yeah not minding the 30 here. Its no Insomniac 30fps but its fine for me. Ive been rolling on Quality mode for most of the heavy hitters this year anyway (Dead Space, Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor, FF16, Tears) so it doesnt faze me in the slightest.
I really don't care either and it looked pretty decent in the video I saw but I still think more could have been done, might get this on a discount tho

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I really don't care either and it looked pretty decent in the video I saw but I still think more could have been done, might get this on a discount tho

Oh absolutely I think more couldve been done. $30 wouldve been perfect for what you're getting here.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Metroid Prime Remastered had legit improvements/updates. This game didn't get any of that. it's 100% the same game with a resolution bump. No new textures. No QoL fixes. No new anything.

Which I would have been fine IF they had added 60 fps/ unlocked framerates.

MrA

Banned
Metroid Prime Remastered had legit improvements/updates. This game didn't get any of that. it's 100% the same game with a resolution bump. No new textures. No QoL fixes. No new anything.

Which I would have been fine IF they had added 60 fps/ unlocked framerates.
load times are dramatically improved, lod is noticeably better as well, I'd say the load times being cut down by 70% is huge qol fix

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

No. Load times are much better. Shadows are much better. There are slight texture improvements. NPC faces look better. The lens flare from sunrises and sunsets has changed.

Please try to know what the fuck you're talking about lol. Try playing the thing first before the ignorance spews out.

Last edited:

violence

If the game was 60, would there need to be an Xbox version at that point?

The game deserved better. I thank Grove Street games for this conservative port.

kiphalfton

Or... Rockstar learned they can can release a low budget game and still make tons of money.

Roufianos

What should they learn?? That every low effort cashgrab sells millions of copies because the dumb gamer buys their crap no matter what the quality is because of the Scamstar logo on it??
Or... Rockstar learned they can can release a low budget game and still make tons of money.

But haven't we seen time and time again that Metacritic reviews and word of mouth do matter?

Surely Gotham and Avengers would have sold a lot better if they'd reviewed well.

Likewise, Elden Ring wouldn't have been the hit it was if it scored an 82.

I know GTA Trilogy sold well but surely it would have sold even better? I guess it's a question of is it better to invest 50m and sell 10m copies or invest 100m and sell 15m.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I’m close to 30 hours in and heading towards the tail end of Act 1. I forgot how easy it is to get sucked into the ambient challenges and bounty hunts. I’m finding myself doing pretty much everything from horseshoes and liars dice to finding every stranger.

Price be damned they really did a fantastic job

20GRHfT.jpg
XnZoEd2.jpg
B55tNLC.jpg
vB1MOOi.jpg
avG9B0s.jpg
dgQeM48.jpg

Gambit2483

I’m close to 30 hours in and heading towards the tail end of Act 1. I forgot how easy it is to get sucked into the ambient challenges and bounty hunts. I’m finding myself doing pretty much everything from horseshoes and liars dice to finding every stranger.

Price be damned they really did a fantastic job

20GRHfT.jpg
XnZoEd2.jpg
B55tNLC.jpg
vB1MOOi.jpg
avG9B0s.jpg
dgQeM48.jpg

What platform are you playing on?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
$60 seems a bit steep but I will get it again when the price comes down.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No. Load times are much better. Shadows are much better. There are slight texture improvements. NPC faces look better. The lens flare from sunrises and sunsets has changed.

Please try to know what the fuck you're talking about lol. Try playing the thing first before the ignorance spews out.
Oh shut the fuck up with you and your tough guy talk. You knew full well what I meant. They didn't improve anything that wouldn't naturally be improved by running the game on better hardware and higher resolution. I even praised the fact that the game seems to be stable. This is a faithful port, but it could have and should have been MUCH MUCH more.

No 60 fps makes this a 100% dealbreaker for me. I wouldn't take it for free with 30 fps.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Oh shut the fuck up with you and your tough guy talk. You knew full well what I meant. They didn't improve anything that wouldn't naturally be improved by running the game on better hardware and higher resolution. I even praised the fact that the game seems to be stable. This is a faithful port, but it could have and should have been MUCH MUCH more.

No 60 fps makes this a 100% dealbreaker for me. I wouldn't take it for free with 30 fps.

No I didn’t know what you meant. Next time specify and you won’t come off like an idiot

keefged4

For those curious, Ryujinx runs this flawlessly now at 4k 60 with a mod. It's by far the best option if you have a PC capable enough.

Mr Branding

Chuck Berry Chuck Berry Naaah, Mexico is freaking amazing and the breath of fresh air that RDR2 needed. The progression in the first one is so much better, everything still hits for me (the D'Angelo song has nothing on Jose Gonzales' Far Away moment). Razbuten has a pretty big analysis of RDR2's Guarma and has a lot of valid points but I still think it's boring as sin.

I've just finished L.Ricketts missions and am currently doing random hunting in Mexico and absolutely love the vibe, this game is timeless. Runs amazingly well on Switch and I feel like the ps3 version was way worse both in image quality and framerate. That version also had that weird shimmering and jaggies and didn't feature some lighting effects present here.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Chuck Berry Chuck Berry Naaah, Mexico is freaking amazing and the breath of fresh air that RDR2 needed. The progression in the first one is so much better, everything still hits for me (the D'Angelo song has nothing on Jose Gonzales' Far Away moment). Razbuten has a pretty big analysis of RDR2's Guarma and has a lot of valid points but I still think it's boring as sin.

I've just finished L.Ricketts missions and am currently doing random hunting in Mexico and absolutely love the vibe, this game is timeless. Runs amazingly well on Switch and I feel like the ps3 version was way worse both in image quality and framerate. That version also had that weird shimmering and jaggies and didn't feature some lighting effects present here.

Yeah Mexico really hasn’t been too rough this time around. While the three Ricketts missions are the most memorable to me personally, it’s got decent stranger encounters too (Poppycock and Love Is The Opiate 👌🏼) and the bounties are a much better source of income than in NA. Also it’s straight gorgeous at times.

PDZPdsN.jpg
zAh8QkG.jpg
xW69hnh.jpg
nX15y1t.jpg
MlGdeaD.jpg

I'm playing this on the PS5 now and holy shit, is it amazing. It looks and plays sooo good at 60 fps, this is one of few 100/100 games for me. Easily one of the best games ever made and it's aged like a fine wine.

The characters, voice acting and humor is vastly superior when comparing it to RDR2 which was too toned down and woke for me. Also, this one's got a more proper western feel to it.

Very few games have even come close to this kind of perfection since its original release. Glorious!

Top Bottom