• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare Coming to Switch and PS4 (Digital August 17th, Physical October 13th)

Hugare

shawn-michaels-suck-it.gif
lol yeah, it is basically an ad

I guess you are right. But since it is using FSR2 on Playstation 4 Pro, the base resolution is likely 1440p? (and then upscaled via FSR2 to 2160p)

So only on One X and Series X its native 4K?

In theory u are right, but PS4 can not give out more than 1080p.
Oh yeah, thats right. It doesnt support more than 1080p.

Well, at least they could have gone for 60 fps then. Or improved textures/models etc.

Last edited:

Gonzito

I see. I did not know FSR2 has the option to render from 2160p. So in this case its (kinda) like DLAA?

I guess FSR 2.0 can perform natively as well, I never saw this before on pc either. Anyhow it is still good news, 4k native is always better

lol yeah, it is basically an ad

Oh yeah, thats right. It doesnt support more than 1080p.

Well, at least they could have gone for 60 fps then. Or improved textures/models etc.
I am curious. Has any game ran at more than 1080p on the original PS4?

Can the original PS4 even output above 1080p?

I can't remember , I haven't used one since the PS4 Pro came out.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

I guess FSR 2.0 can perform natively as well, I never saw this before on pc either. Anyhow it is still good news, 4k native is always better

Thats my point. As far as I know on PC you can not do this in any game atm.

So that why I am confused. This would be pretty big news in my opinion, since this would be the first time that someone used FSR2 to render from native 4k base resolution.

I am curious. Has any game ran at more than 1080p on the original PS4?

Lego Star Wars iirc. ~1260p downscaled to 1080p.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I think Rockstar should update this version for free in the future to offer two modes one in 60 fps. They did something similar with GTAV so I see no reason why they wouldn't do this
They charged £10 for the upgrade for 60fps on GTAV if I remember.

I’ll forget about this and live in hope that one day we get a RDR2 patch 🥹

MrA

Banned
PS4 being 1080p just like docked Switch is offensive

Should have been 1440p then.

Very lazy port, jesus
I have a feeling the switch port was the primary goal here like crysis and l a noire , and the ps4 was just a why not? afterthought
The ps4 should have other upgrades over the switch, especially things like load times and pop in that it doesn't
anyway port definitely wasn't lazy, at least the switch part.
load times reduced like 70%, substantially better draw distance, better lighting, higher resolution, seems even have smoothed out the rare drop the 360 had, the switch port got some real work put in.

Gonzito

They charged £10 for the upgrade for 60fps on GTAV if I remember.

I’ll forget about this and live in hope that one day we get a RDR2 patch 🥹

They didnt charge only for that. The GTAV update for new console generations brought many new graphical features, high quality depth of field, TAA, raytraced shadows, raytraced reflections etc. They improved too all car interiors and other stuff, it wasnt just the framerate. It looks much better than the vanilla pc version nowadays

Mr Branding

This 2010 game they repackaged and are charging you $50 for.
People are going to jump on me for this as if I'm 'dEfenDInG CorPORatioNS' but the ps3/360 version is how much again? 20-30 on Amazon? Maybe cheaper if you're lucky. Those versions look like dogshit to me, I've played the ps3 version and to be honest that's why I sold the console..., it's freaking outdated.
Also, it holds up, even DF said it, it's a masterpiece game, so if we were to make an analogy with other consumables, it should actually go up in price, like fine drinks, wines or delicatessen. I don't get this narrative that it's an old game, should be 5$. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to pay 5 and play it on switch but I'm afraid that's out of the question for quite some time and since it's one of my most beloved games (better than 2 imo), I'd pay the asking price.
edit:
I'm also glad it's the repackaged old game and not some 'remake' with different assets. Sometimes those don't capture the feel of the original game, I mean look at the GTA trilogy fiasco (which I didn't buy btw). The originals looked better imo.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People are going to jump on me for this as if I'm 'dEfenDInG CorPORatioNS' but the ps3/360 version is how much again? 20-30 on Amazon? Maybe cheaper if you're lucky. Those versions look like dogshit to me, I've played the ps3 version and to be honest that's why I sold it, it's freaking outdated.
Also, it holds up, even DF said it, it's a masterpiece game, so if we were to make an analogy with other consumables, it should actually go up in price, like fine drinks, wines or delicatessen. I don't get this narrative that it's an old game, should be 5$. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to pay 5 and play it on switch but I'm afraid that's out of the question for quite some time and since it's one of my most beloved games (better than 2 imo), I'd pay the asking price.
You do you, I won't give them a dime for 27 second load times and no 60fps unlock on the PS5. Both things the PS5 can do at system level in the SDK with a flick of the switch.

This screams they will be selling everyone a "PS5/XSX" version ala GTAV a year or two from now. With your 60fps, faster load times, and a splash here and there of texture improvements.

When you have a CEO gloating saying they do things differently than the competition (by using new tech advancements, that was a fucking lie), yet the competition literally remakes the games in modern graphics or puts way more effort into remasters, mofos lost the plot.

They could have used the RDR2 engine and still had the same gameplay as the first. That would not have changed a thing, in fact, that would have been an improvement.

You are letting a highly profitable billion dollar company work you through attrition.

Last edited:

Zheph

People are going to jump on me for this as if I'm 'dEfenDInG CorPORatioNS' but the ps3/360 version is how much again? 20-30 on Amazon? Maybe cheaper if you're lucky. Those versions look like dogshit to me, I've played the ps3 version and to be honest that's why I sold the console..., it's freaking outdated.
edit:
I'm also glad it's the repackaged old game and not some 'remake' with different assets. Sometimes those don't capture the feel of the original game, I mean look at the GTA trilogy fiasco (which I didn't buy btw). The originals looked better imo.
the lighting engine is much better so "it doesn't capture the feel of the original" is always killing me

enjoy those cheap remaster/port I will take the remake that "change the feel"

Trunx81

This never fails to impress me. As someone who grew up with a b/w Game Boy, seeing RDR on the go, even if it´s over 10 years old, fills my heart up with joy. Will buy when the discount comes (probably around black friday).

Perrott

Gold Member
It wasn’t identical though. I still have the physical PS3 copy and the PS3 version had lower quality textures than the 360 version. They should at least be able to upgrade that in this port.
I wasn't talking about the original being identical between PS3 and 360, but about the port being in essence the same as the One X enhanced version, at least on the PS4 Pro and PS5.

But I'm glad I was wrong in my point, since apparently at least added enhancements that are entirely new to this recent re-release in the form of improved anti-aliasing and shadow resolution.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Fired it up on the 5. Noticed a difference in the visual quality immediately at the title screen. Very clean. Very crisp.

U8E9dRc.jpg
m3qAsfn.jpg
TEX0VeR.jpg

The more Ive played the more I’m thinking it was a specific choice to not mess with anything here. To take however they got this game to these guys and be like “Hey, you saw how much of a disaster the trilogy was. Don’t. Fuck. With. This. Don’t add anything. Don’t change anything.”

Remember how Grove St basically used some auto program that built San Andreas without any real manual work being done? That’s why we got stores that were misspelled and shit. This has none of that.

And you know what, we’ll probably never know what they went through to get this ported. The game was already, according to Benzies “being held together with duct tape.” God knows how it transferred over and what they did to get it to work right. It’s one of the reasons it never came to PC. The code is just a fucking weird freaking schizoid mess.

And that’s probably why it’s $50.

And like Zelnick would ever say “we know we fucked up, we got really good guys this time.”

Last edited:

Fake

Tom Morgan from DF will cover the NS version. I expect great results in comparison with the others ports becaue NS.

That looks a hell of a lot better than the smeared resolution on PS3 I recently experienced. Shoot, seeing this, makes me really want Activision to do a remake of GUN. It sure could use it and it is arguably the better game (even if the majority prefers the Red Dead experience).

Gun+pc+game.jpeg

Fired it up on the 5. Noticed a difference in the visual quality immediately at the title screen. Very clean. Very crisp.

U8E9dRc.jpg
m3qAsfn.jpg
TEX0VeR.jpg

The more Ive played the more I’m thinking it was a specific choice to not mess with anything here. To take however they got this game to these guys and be like “Hey, you saw how much of a disaster the trilogy was. Don’t. Fuck. With. This. Don’t add anything. Don’t change anything.”

Remember how the Grove St basically used some auto program that built San Andreas without any real manual work being done? That’s why we got stores that were misspelled and shit. This has none of that.

And you know what, we’ll probably never know what they went through to get this ported. The game was already, according to Benzies “being held together with duct tape.” God knows how it transferred over and what they did to get it to work right. It’s one of the reasons it never came to PC. The code is just a fucking weird freaking schizoid mess.

And that’s probably why it’s $50.

And like Zelnick would ever say “we know we fucked up, we got really good guys this time.”
Could you perchance upload some pictures of bumming around town after dark. That is the worst in the original release as shadows over textures make visibility really bad.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That looks a hell of a lot better than the smeared resolution on PS3 I recently experienced. Shoot, seeing this, makes me really want Activision to do a remake of GUN. It sure could use it and it is arguably the better game (even if the majority prefers the Red Dead experience).

Gun+pc+game.jpeg

Could you perchance upload some pictures of bumming around town after dark. That is the worst in the original release as shadows over textures make visibility really bad.

When it gets dark and I’m fucking around building those legendary ranks, sure bruh 🤛🏻

Also fellow GUN lover here. Still have it installed on my 360.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. It looks a lot better in the rerelease. Time to revisit. Can't believe i played through the original with night looking like this:
11677666-red-dead-redemption-playstation-3-game-features-night-and-day-cy.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom