• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Prices Are ‘Very, Very Low’ For What They Offer, Says GTA 6 Publisher Take-Two

Gamers have some blame for accepting most of this crap, with little contention.
But the majority of the fault still remains with the publishers.
Let's blame the scammers, not the victims.
Most don't take notice how they gradually fleece us. Juxtapose the 2000s to 2020s. The way in which content and delivery is sold should paint an uncomfortable contrast, It should startle some folks and it will only keep escalating before it deescalates. Unless more and more gamers grow some self-restraint and refuse to participate in these schemes. I haven't bought and will not buy GTAV, its a prime symbol of whats wrong with AAA today, and will absolutely not bother with VI while Zelnick is at the helm of Take2.

Btw, you brought up a good point about user data. People really undervalue how much gold there is in their digital presence and interaction. I suspect part reason Zelnick drew this fallacy is due to observation formed form data with user time expenditure in-game or something like that.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I'd pay $120 for proper Immersive Sims and RPG's. But don't expect me to pay that for a new CoD every year. Go peddle that shit to the masses and good luck!

BlackTron

If the quality, scope and content of games actually tracked with technology, and they shipped a completed and impressive reflection of their creators vision, I would be okay with higher game prices.

But the many problems in gaming mean that most of the time we are just chasing old greatness with better graphics and indies. Most new trends in gaming are soulless, like open-world format. I'm not paying more for empty calories.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
budgets must precipitously decline (which gamers, frankly, refuse to stomach)
The big 3 most popular games of all time. Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox. All 3 were either made on shoestring budgets or all look like nothing in comparison to even what Nintendo makes. they are still the most popular games on the planet. I think that if games decreased budgets a little, we'd be fine.

Also, most of the profit in game studios goes to the CEO and not the budget or the workers or anything. Even if deflation started and buying power went back to pre 2008 levels how are you so sure they won't just.... keep hogging the fucking money?

ByWatterson

Also, most of the profit in game studios goes to the CEO
I mean this is laughably untrue for several reasons (salary portion of their pay is inherently not profit, by definition, for instance), and in the case of publicly traded companies, it would almost certainly violate the fiduciary duty to shareholders, and be therefore illegal.

I bet I'm wrong, though. Can you provide a link for your claim regarding a majority of game profits going to CEOs?

P.S. The three games you named are live service and everyone bitches about those too.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I wonder how many people are arguing here and will buy the "complete edition" $100+ or whatever for GTA VI

Top Bottom