• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen FIFA: What Should We Expect?

Mascot

With powerful new hardware on the way, EA's reasons (excuses?) for their usual minor annual iterations will be increasingly difficult to justify. FIFA 14 on next-gen machines should be a much deeper, more complete simulation of football than was ever possible before. So what should we hope for, and what should we expect?

Possibilities might include:

• An end to pre-canned animations and the delays that they cause, with all player movement and reactions being completely physics based.
  • Improved ball physics, with more lifelike weight, trajectories and bounces.
  • Smoother transitions between player animations, and more personality in individual movement.
  • Better intelligence from AI team-mates, with improved spatial awareness and better overall 'footballing brains'.
  • Time of day transitions, with shadows moving across the pitch, games starting in late-evening daylight and ending under floodlights etc.
  • Weather transitions, with rain showers, sun breaking through clouds, wind gusting etc.
  • Pitch deformation, with divots being raised, areas getting worn and the grass getting marked from slide tackles etc.
  • Better overall atmosphere, with 3D crowds that react better to events on the pitch.
  • More varied, detailed and appropriate commentary.
  • More flow to the game, with fewer cuts and breaks in the action. Have ball-boys throwing balls back, for example.
  • Better physical fatigue and injury modelling, and more realistic mental concentration levels.

So what else should we hope for and what should we expect from a next-gen FIFA?

Not a soccer fan myself, but excited for the advancements that will come to all sports games. The next Fight Night will look crazy.

JawzPause

Crowd should be in full 3D and possibly as detailed as the players, rather than this
FIFA092008-11-1610-07-20-18-1.jpg

Per usual with launches, I expect the first batch of next-gen sports to be woefully similar to current ones.
We'll see where it goes after that.

Lunchbox

Banned
LB + Y lob balls
Online passes
Ultimate team Gold pack micro transactions so little jimmy can have a front 3 of ronaldo messi and neymar with his moms credit card
and facing Real Madrid in 1v1s

I think you covered pretty much all the bases. I seriously can't wait for next-gen FIFA, though I have a feeling the first couple won't be too hot.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's EA, there will be no real useful improvements, more cinematic sequences, some ball physics, more Messi. And messy.

Fistwell

Not expecting much. I'm hoping to god they don't take as much time to get next-gen footie to work properly as they did this gen. The first several years were excruciating.

First next-gen FIFA release (this goes for Madden also):

It will not be an enormous jump over current gen, except graphics will look better. Expect more bugs than the last release, including some hilarious physics glitches.

While it will produce better screenshots, it will actually be less realistic and less fun to play than the release on current gen systems.

For the following year's release, expect them to have ironed everything out and actually start to take advantage of the next-gen hardware for stuff other than graphics. Significant improvements across the board, less bugs.

This is pretty much how it works when we get new systems.

For people clamouring for precision shooting, it already exists. It's called Manual controls, and everyone should use them; makes the game infinitely more satisfying.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
For people clamouring for precision shooting, it already exists. It's called Manual controls, and everyone should use them; makes the game infinitely more satisfying.
This is true, but the shooting part is really hard compared to precision passing.

This is true, but the shooting part is really hard compared to precision passing.
Hmm. It is, but it's infinitely more rewarding when you score a screamer. Also adds an element of tension, especially when you're one-on-one. You truly feel like every chance counts, and it also helps keep the scores down to realistic levels.

Besides, it's not that hard after a bit of practice. I genuinely refuse to play with Assisted controls now.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Not only will the first round of sports games not take advantage of the new hardware, they won't even be on par with previous titles. The first sports titles on 360 were a major step backwards, not a lateral move. Major features and game modes were removed, leaving a pretty bare bones game that looked nice visually but wasn't much fun to play.

adelante

• An end to pre-canned animations and the delays that they cause, with all player movement and reactions being completely physics based.

I think there'll always be precanned animations for moves that require a certain body posture, foot angle, orientation, etc... except for collisions between players where physics can take over and anything goes. It's amount of contextual animations/transitions that needs to be increased, so for eg. the likelihood of us seeing the same damn shooting style is low. I don't mind delay in transitions so long it doesn't cut the previous animation abruptly/unnaturally just for the sake of an onscreen button press response. Because IRL players still need a split second to adjust his footing, posture, orientation, etc to place a shot or pass. A better player is able to quickly position himself to make a well-placed shot/pass so in that case the transition from his previous move just needs to be made quicker (not cut abruptly). Calculating this on the fly shouldn't be a problem on next-gen hardware

With the ps4 a couple things pop to mind...

On the vita backtouch shooting is amazing. That can easily be replicated on the touch pad.

Graphically, after reading durante's and others explanation of what GDDR5 excels at I think sports games are actually one of the genres where the PS4 can really shine. It has the throughput to have actual blades of grass. The crowds and stadiums also will make a huge jump in fidelity.

Gameplay wise I think it's just more/better. A more robust physics system. A more robust AI system. Higher poly characters. Etc.

Im pretty excited for FIFA. This year's fifa is so damn good.

Nothing is going to change.

FIFA won't fix their problem with player individuality, momentum/inertia and AI.
PES won't fix their lacking animation system, goal keepers and players snapping to rails/player awareness of loose balls.

Top Bottom