• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen FIFA: What Should We Expect?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Can't see EA resting on their laurels for next gen FIFA.
It was the massive improvement in their games that killed off PES.
The reverse could happen if EA just go for a new roster and minimal changes.

Mascot

Not only will the first round of sports games not take advantage of the new hardware, they won't even be on par with previous titles. The first sports titles on 360 were a major step backwards, not a lateral move. Major features and game modes were removed, leaving a pretty bare bones game that looked nice visually but wasn't much fun to play.

I don't know. I guess it depends whether EA take the bare bones of FIFA 13 and add to them, or rewrite large chunks of the code from scratch. I bet they've had their own wish-lists that have been on hold until the hardware caught up.

Dont expect anything different, that would require them to spend money.

whatsinaname said:
Nothing is going to change.

I think you guys are being unfair.
EA Sports have done a tremendous job on FIFA this gen. Play FIFA 06 on 360, then play FIFA 13. The difference is absolutely astonishing. It's not like they just rest on their laurels year after year; each game is significantly better than the last.

what fifa needs, IMO, is to find a way to balance the game. Just because a team/player is faster, doesn't mean they are the better team. Just because a player is better, doesn't mean he's automatically stronger than the CB of a lesser team and can beast through a defense.

I don't really care about the crowd being modeled.

It would be nice to have a fifa street mode just included in Fifa 14. I enjoy throwing it in every once in a while but Street has zero people playing online. This would be a good change of pace from the normal game. NBA 2k has black court, a street mode/futsal with your created player would be welcomed

GlamFM

Banned
Being serious for a moment. Please give us back the Camp Nou. I hate not having Barcas stadium.

A little bit off topic:

I was at the Schalke 04 Stadium for the first time yesterday and it was amazing. Best Stadium in Germany by far.

I expect them to pull out all the features and have it back to basics, just to slowly add them all in again year after year like they have done all previous generations. I'm more excited to see what ways Konami can embarrass themselves with PES next gen to be honest.

Messi

A little bit off topic:

I was at the Schalke 04 Stadium for the first time yesterday and it was amazing. Best Stadium in Germany by far.

It's a lovely stadium

That strikes me as extremely odd when Messi is on the cover. Why isn't the Nou Camp in?

It's on the disk, it seems EA had to renegotiate the rights for the camp nou last year and barca asked for more money.I suppose due to
Messi being on the cover. Eventually barca would not budge and ea pulled it out.

I just hope they have all the latest boots, stadiums and player faces for my favourite teams.

Gameplay balance and realism? What's that?

/FIFA forum poster

Mascot

I think there'll always be precanned animations for moves that require a certain body posture, foot angle, orientation, etc... except for collisions between players where physics can take over and anything goes. It's amount of contextual animations/transitions that needs to be increased, so for eg. the likelihood of us seeing the same damn shooting style is low. I don't mind delay in transitions so long it doesn't cut the previous animation abruptly/unnaturally just for the sake of an onscreen button press response. Because IRL players still need a split second to adjust his footing, posture, orientation, etc to place a shot or pass. A better player is able to quickly position himself to make a well-placed shot/pass so in that case the transition from his previous move just needs to be made quicker (not cut abruptly). Calculating this on the fly shouldn't be a problem on next-gen hardware

We'll also need pre-canned animations for player reactions when getting booked, conceding penalties, scoring own goals etc.
The ones that need work are where they break up the flow of the game, for example goalkeepers flopping on top of a lose ball then taking forever to get up and distribute it, when all you want to do is throw it out to your winger as quickly as possible.

Messi

Stadium comes out in a few days for PC, joys of mods :D
http://www.soccergaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181078&page=17

Uhhhh

untitled-17oyjn.gif

shithole

FIFAs released in the early lifes of next gen are usually the worst FIFAs. They'll be nothing but PS3/360 versions with slightly better graphics.

Schalke stadium has only been lovely once, that was when they thought they had won the championship in 2001, stormed the pitch and then all stood and cried on the pitch after celebrating for a few minutes.

tvpwO1E.jpg

¨

See that is lovely.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I expect them to pull out all the features and have it back to basics, just to slowly add them all in again year after year like they have done all previous generations. I'm more excited to see what ways Konami can embarrass themselves with PES next gen to be honest.

Pretty much, EA is not going to invest huge resources into fifa 14 for ps4 because there will be no install base to justify it, it will be the ps3 version which will be incrementally better than last years version. The year after will be the same and only in 2015 are we going to see any actual effort. Worst of all the pc version will lag behind furthjer.

'More realistic' animations that look even more stupid
Somehow more loose and unresponsive controls
The ball will feel even more like a beachball, and curl even more ridiculously

People will think its decent because its better than Pro Evo

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
What I want, what I have wanted for years is Co-op arena mode and co-op team mode so your online team can practice outside of league matches. That shit would be awesome.

I think you guys are being unfair.
EA Sports have done a tremendous job on FIFA this gen. Play FIFA 06 on 360, then play FIFA 13. The difference is absolutely astonishing. It's not like they just rest on their laurels year after year; each game is significantly better than the last.

EA did a good job up going from FIFA 06 to FIFA 08 (and maybe 09). After that, they started going backwards. The trappings (commentary, teams list, sound, etc) and the engine improved and things looked very smooth but everything else fell apart.

What does it say when I found it easier to identify the player in control in PES 5 than in FIFA 11?

GlamFM

Banned
Schalke stadium has only been lovely once, that was when they thought they had won the championship in 2001, stormed the pitch and then all stood and cried on the pitch after celebrating for a few minutes.

That was the old stadium though.

aganu

I just hope they have all the latest boots, stadiums and player faces for my favourite teams.

Gameplay balance and realism? What's that?

/FIFA forum poster
I still remember a thread complaining about the lack of tape on Beckham's ring finger: "David Beckham is divorced in the FIFA universe!!! Fix this EA or I'm not buying your game!"

I do think some of these complaints are legitimate but as you pointed the average FIFA fan takes it to another level to the extent that he does not bother at all whether essential features of football games like artificial intelligence or players motion physics have improved or not.

Ctrl A1t Elite

Neo Member
Not really down to next-gen improvements but getting rights to managers and referees and modelling them accurately would be a nice touch of realism. Also it's going to be interesting to see what they do with goal line technology coming in.

moojito

The only important feature in a fifa game for me is the ability to line yourself up with the inside of the post and shoot straight ahead and be guaranteed a goal.

Yes, the last fifa game I played was fifa 96.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the first year or two, the games have less features than the current gen versions.

Crowd should be in full 3D and possibly as detailed as the players, rather than this
FIFA092008-11-1610-07-20-18-1.jpg

This this this.
Hopefully with the new hardware the crowd won't look like shit as usual.

Yen

I'd like to see an end to the pointless, unskippable cutscenes when a shot is missed, ball goes out of play or sub is made.

Rikkun

Broken gameface
Less teams
Microtransations to boost RM Barca and City in 1vs1
Servers not working for the first 200 days
Bouncing and rolling and flying players everytime they hit someone else
Saves going corrupt every match you play
Subscription to play 11vs11 with more lag

I'm already hyped

Mascot

I love FIFA. I hate it too.
One of my biggest hopes is that a next-gen revamp includes fixes for all of the annoying online (and offline) shit we've had to put up with over the years, stuff that gets left in year after year despite very vocal complaints in the community:

• having to watch every replay from every angle just because your opponent want to
  • having to watch the three-minute match build-up just because your opponent wants to
  • having quitters not really punished
  • not being able to search for local games
  • having a useless connection indicator
  • having sluggish controls despite an apparently great connection
  • having to put up just minor changes to the same old crappy UI
  • not seeing the full kit (inc shorts) when selecting kits
  • having referees wearing kits very close to one of the teams playing
  • having goalkeepers wearing kits in the same colours as the opposition
  • not being able to select the stadium and weather in online friendlies
  • giving numbskulls the option to use stupid footballs in online games (brown ball on a muddy pitch - awesome).
  • etc etc etc ad infinitum

Highly unlikely but I personally would of loved 2k to do a soccer sim, Konami are too busy taking one step forward and two back whilst EA have great presentation and motion capture but the player models look ridiculous at times and the gameplay isn't anything that makes me feel I have to play one more game, it doesn't feel like a 90 + rated series to me.

RooMHM

Football game developed by Canadians... Always the same issues.

Also, gameplay built on the BPL "feel" as known as the worst League in Europe. No team blocks, no tactics, players moving freely and not responding to your inputs...
I so want a Serie A gameplay type :(

Wizman23

Banned
All I want in both FIFA and NHL next gen is the dam option to keep playing in overtime rather then go into that stupid ass shootout that controls like dog shit. Just make an endless ovetime until someone scores in both games and call it a day.

rvy

Banned
Same arcade gameplay, more gimmicks to rip off the consumer. Probably wrong kits for smaller teams too. Hopefully some decent animations and realistic foot-plating, no reason for the game not to look good.

Top Bottom