• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 NPCs may talk in multiple languages, you'll need a translator implant

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt RED has discussed the possibility of having NPCs talking in their own, original languages, made clearer by your character’s translator implant. It’s just a possibility at this stage, but the studio is considering it.

In an interview with dubscore.pl, CD Projekt RED’s Sebastian Stepien said, “Decisions are not yet made, but we are thinking about some kind of system which could tell more about the game world.

“The idea is to record everything in its original language. If there are, for example, Mexicans in the game, they will speak with slang. All performed by Mexican actors. Then a player could try a translating implant, and according to its level, he will get better or worse translation.”

when other companies think how to implement mictrotransactions into their RPG in the less obnoxious manner CD Projekt thinks how to innovate RPGs a bit.

Also while it's not a completely new mechanic (I'm sure some obscure RPG from ancient times did it) it's execution that matters. If they make people speak spanish/french/cantonese and then run subtitles it would be cool.

Also if I was in their shoes I wouldn't tell anyone about this mechanic because it's easy to implement. But I think people are too busy with microtransactions these days so CD Projekt don't have to worry.

Zarx

Sounds like something that could be pretty cool, but also a pretty ambitious feature and could get expensive I imagine with all the different voice actors.

subversus

Sounds like something that could be pretty cool, but also a pretty ambitious feature and could get expensive I imagine with all the different voice actors.

why would it be expensive? actors are brought by international agencies anyway and subtitles are already there.

Skerj

Sounds like CD Projekt Red is doing their damnedest to make sure I buy this game on every available platform and never stop playing it. Seriously, each new piece of info we get is like gold covered tacos filled with tiny tacos that are filled with game design dreams. Pleaaaase let me see it in motion.

Sounds expensive. While not an essential gameplay, it at least sounds interesting.

Basically what I get out of this is that it is like the Sonic games which come with multiple dubs. But in this case, they take all of those "dubs" or languages or whatever, and try to make them a part of gameplay.

It isn't a revolution or anything like language translating software would be. But it is a tiny piece that could add to a convincing whole.

eXistor

I love stuff like this, I wonder what else they have planned. It's a very exciting game so far and we haven't even seen anything.

Nemesis_

Fantastic but I wouldn't want the project to suffer or lost out on other aspects if this were to be implemented.

That realism though.

They will probably limit themselves to European languages and say Chinese but it would be awesome to have at least one Indian guy speaking in say Tamil or Bengali or Punjabi.
Punjabi would be hilariously awesome.

subversus

I remember Final fantasy X had a mechanic like that, and you could slowly start decoding words

I knew some game did something like that. Actually FFX mechanic sounds more interesting. How do you decode words there?

Dunan

This is exactly what I envisioned when I got to Hengsha in Human Revolution.

I had assumed that we were getting subtitles because Adam could understand Chinese. Did he learn the language "naturally", or did he get some kind of implant?

Also, those of you who know Chinese well, were those people native speakers? As a beginner, I could understand maybe 20% of what they were saying (and could read maybe half the signs), but am not at the point where I can pick out a non-native voice actor.

I hope they translate it audibly.

It would be cooler to hear the translator transition from broken English mixed with the original language to a perfect translation as the translator levels.

No reading text, too simple.

demidar

I knew some game did something like that. Actually FFX mechanic sounds more interesting. How do you decode words there?

You had to find manuals which would decode one letter into English. Al-Behd was just taking English letters and shuffling them around.

Jintor

I remember Final fantasy X had a mechanic like that, and you could slowly start decoding words

I used to play the Discworld MUD a long time ago. I always enjoyed the language system in that game, even if it was nonsensically onerous. Basically, you would choose your country of residence at character creation and you'd immediately be fluent in that language. But you had to go around taking quests to start even getting levels in other languages (Agatean, Djelibeybian, Ephebian etc) and then after the quest chain you still wouldn't be fluent. As you leveled up by listening to other people/NPCs speak the language, or reading stuff written in the language, the 'raw' language would gradually be converted to readable english.

Djelibeybian was all hieroglpyhs, for example, so it turned from "Rotating eye, picture of a scarab, horse-headed man" into "Stop by the ptop shop". Amusingly, even at 100 percent fluency you'd keep your home country's accent.

It seriously would take like a month to get fluent in a language though, and NPCs wouldn't understand you properly until you hit a reasonable level of fluency so you couldn't do quests and stuff.

luffeN

why would it be expensive? actors are brought by international agencies anyway and subtitles are already there.

Yes, but you have to provide several subtitled versions because of your translator level xD

Edit: Let's say there are 3 levels. Level 1 gives you "Name Peter". Level 2 "My name Peter" and level 3 "My name is Peter" or something to that effect.

Moff

Easily one of the coolest things I've ever heard of in a game, but I can imagine the VO costs.
not necessarily, they localize their games anyway for different european countries. they just found a very cool way to implement the VO in all the versions.
great idea, really. CDPR keeps surprising me.

injurai

Banned
It was awesome hearing Korean spoken in Crysis.

Really looking forward to this. Everything I hear is amazing. Can't wait to find out what gameplay is like.

I can see lines repeating themselves. It got really grating to hear that in KOTOR.

Kind of like memes and trending catch phrases? If anything it adds realism to what the modern age has become.

Nemesis_

It was awesome hearing Korean spoken in Crysis.

I loved how they made it so that it actually tied into the difficulty - you could find out what they were doing by what they were yelling.

If they spoke Korean, you couldn't!

Unless you were actually Korean but then that's a cool bonus advantage for you! :p

Izick

This game is going to be the RPG of the next generation. Calling it now.

It's one of the most ambitous and exciting games I've ever seen, and while that can be a curse to developers (see: Lionhead, Silicon Knights, etc.) but I have complete faith in CDPR to pull off what they say.

Top Bottom