• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

sm2zRDp.png

Important Information

Major League Soccer (MLS) is a professional soccer league representing the sport's highest level in the United States and Canada. Sanctioned by the United States Soccer Federation (U.S. Soccer), the league is composed of 19 teams — 16 in the U.S. and 3 in Canada. Major League Soccer was founded in 1993 as part of the United States' bid to host the 1994 FIFA World Cup. Instead of operating as an association of independently owned teams, MLS is a single entity where each team is owned and controlled by the league's investors. The league's closed membership makes it one of the world's few soccer leagues not using promotion and relegation. The first season took place in 1996 beginning with ten teams. Seasons presently run from March to December, with each team playing 34 games in the regular season. Ten teams compete in the postseason MLS Cup Playoffs culminating in the championship game, the MLS Cup.

The Supporters' Shield is an annual award given to the Major League Soccer team with the best regular season record, as determined by the MLS points system. Akin to the minor premiership of Australasian sports (called a "premiership" by the A-League) and similar to the President's Trophy of the NHL, the Supporters' Shield has been annually awarded at the MLS Supporters' Summit since 1999, and has been recognized as a major trophy by the league. Since 2006, the Supporters' Shield winner has earned a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League. With four regular season titles each, D.C. United and the Los Angeles Galaxy have won the most Supporters' Shields of any MLS team. The San Jose Earthquakes are the defending 2012 Supporters' Shield winners.

2012 Year in Review:
MLS Championship: L.A. Galaxy
MLS Cup 2012, the 17th edition of Major League Soccer's championship match, was a rematch between the Houston Dynamo and the Los Angeles Galaxy to decide the champion of the 2012 season. The match was played at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California on December 1, 2012. Los Angeles defeated Houston 3–1 giving the Galaxy their second-straight league title and their fourth overall. For the first time in MLS Cup history, the championship was not held at a predetermined neutral site. Instead, the match venue was held in the home stadium of the finalist with the best regular season record, in this case The Home Depot Center (Los Angeles), which broke the MLS record for hosting the most MLS Cup matches (5). The game was a rematch of the 2011 MLS Cup, won 1–0 by the Galaxy. As MLS Cup finalists, both Houston and Los Angeles qualified for the 2013–14 CONCACAF Champions League (champion in Pot A, runner-up in Pot B).

Supporters' Shield Winner: San Jose Earthquakes
The San Jose Earthquakes won the 2012 Supporters' Shield with solid play and on the back of Chris Wondolowski and his MLS record tying 27 goals in a season. Sporting Kansas City was the last remaining team with a chance of overhauling San Jose's 64 points, but a 0-0 draw with the New York Red Bulls made that scenario mathematically impossible, with one game remaining in the regular season. San Jose was nigh unbeatable in their own house ending 2012 with 10 home wins, 1 loss, and 6 draws.

US Open Cup Winner: Sporting Kansas City
The 2012 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup was the 99th edition of the USSF's annual national soccer championship, running from May through early August. The Seattle Sounders FC, of Major League Soccer entered the competition as the three-time defending champions, making this tournament the first domestic tournament since 1970 that a team enters the tournament as the three-time defending winners. They appeared in their fourth consecutive U.S. Open Cup Final, losing to Sporting Kansas City on August 8, 2012. For the 2012 tournament, U.S. Soccer increased the main tournament from a 40-club tournament, to a 64-club tournament. All Major League Soccer clubs based in the U.S. received automatic berths. This made the U.S. Open Cup very similar to other domestic knock-out competitions where all top tier clubs earn automatic berths. The winner, Sporting Kansas City, received a cash prize of $100k and will also qualify for the 2013–14 CONCACAF Champions League (placed in Pot B).​

MLS Team Listings
Major League Soccer's regular season runs from March to October with its 19 teams playing 34 games in an unbalanced schedule. Teams are divided into the Eastern and Western Conference.​

o7iorf0.png
wCXsqbY.png

------ Eastern Conference -----
Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, D.C. United, Houston Dynamo, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union, Sporting Kansas City, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact
Logos link to each team's MLS site*:

------ Western Conference ------
Chivas USA, Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, L.A. Galaxy, Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, Vancouver Whitecaps
Logos link to each team's MLS site*:

Concurrent tournaments
- 2014 World Cup Qualifying: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html/
The FIFA World Cup, often simply the World Cup, is an international association football competition contested by the senior men's national teams of the members of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the sport's global governing body. The championship has been awarded every four years since the inaugural tournament in 1930, except in 1942 and 1946 when it was not held because of the Second World War. The current champions are Spain, who won the 2010 tournament. The current format of the tournament involves 32 teams competing for the title at venues within the host nation(s) over a period of about a month; this phase is often called the World Cup Finals. A qualification phase, which currently takes place over the preceding three years, is used to determine which teams qualify for the tournament together with the host nation(s).​

- US Open Cup: http://thecup.us/
The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is a knockout tournament in American soccer. The tournament is the oldest ongoing national soccer competition in the U.S. and is currently open to all United States Soccer Federation affiliated teams, from amateur adult club teams to the professional clubs of Major League Soccer. The Open Cup was first held in 1913–14, when it was called the National Challenge Cup.​

- CONCACAF: http://www.concacaf.com/
The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, commonly known as CONCACAF; is the continental governing body for association football in North America, Central America and the Caribbean.

- CONCACAF Champion's League: http://www.concacafchampions.com/
The CONCACAF Champions League is the annual international club football championship for teams from the CONCACAF region (North America, Central America, and the Caribbean). The winner of the CONCACAF Champions League qualifies for the FIFA Club World Cup.

- CONCACAF Gold Cup: http://www.goldcup.org/
The CONCACAF Gold Cup is held every two years. When it does not fall the same year as an edition of the FIFA Confederations Cup, the winner, or highest placed team that is a member of both CONCACAF and FIFA, qualifies for the next staging of that tournament.​

* Thanks to Akim who's hard work I shamelessly stole without permission from the 2012 thread.​

Askani

Supporters Groups
Supporters groups or supporters clubs are independent fan clubs in association football, particularly in English speaking counties. Supporters groups in Europe are generally known as Ultras which derives from the Latin word deriving from ultrā, meaning beyond in English, with the implication that their enthusiasm is 'beyond' the normal. In English speaking nations, these groups are generally known as "supporters groups". Most groups in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia call themselves "supporters groups", however some do self identify as ultras, particularly in communities with large Spanish, French or Italian speaking populations. In Brazil, the organized torcida plays a similar role and in México both the term barras and porras are used. Groups in South America are called either Barra Brava, Hinchada and Torcida. Supporters groups and ultras are renowned for their fanatical vocal support in large groups, defiance of the authorities and the display of banners at stadiums, which are used to create an atmosphere which intimidates opposing players and supporters, as well as encouraging their own team.​

Supporters Groups Listings
Eastern Conference
----------------------------------------

Chicago Fire

Columbus Crew

D.C. United

Houston Dynamo

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York Red Bulls

Philadelphia Union

Sporting KC
The Kansas City Cauldron
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KCCauldron/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/KCCauldron/

Toronto FC

Western Conference
----------------------------------------

Chivas USA

Colorado Rapids

FC Dallas

L.A. Galaxy

Portland Timbers

Real Salt Lake

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC
Emerald City Supporters
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/weareecs/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/WeAreECS/

Vancouver Whitecaps

NeoGAF Team List
"I have known many, and liked not a few, but loved only one, and this toast is to you."

Just a simple list of NeoGAF users and who they support. Want to be included? PM me with username::team in the title of the message and I will add you to the list.

Columbus Crew
- DTLIONS1013

L.A. Galaxy
- Heretic

New York Red Bulls
- Judderman, Osorio, GRW810

Philidelphia Union
- Pkm, UncleO

Portland Timbers
- Dartastic

Real Salt Lake
- s7evn

Seattle Sounders
- platypotamus, AndresON777

Sporting KC
- Askani, Nesotenso, bmdubya

Toronto FC
- Azuran

2012 Thread Stats
OT Creator: Akim
Total Posts: 2,978
Total Views: 83,950
Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464350/

2012 Thread Wall O' Shame
Code:
Posts User
----- ----------
310   xbhaskarx
265   Hieberrr
260   Osorio
241   Askani
223   sazabirules
154   Judderman
135   Nesotenso
116   Rafa=FedKilla
 98   Pkm
 72   platypotamus
 68   added_time
 55   s7evn
 53   elsk
 53   Akim
 51   Amibguous Cad

Askani

No one else started it, so I'll take it on. :p

Updates will come later for the op.

Philly and SKC game is pretty impressive so far. Philly is the better team in the first half but SKC is waking up. Good to see this because we were looking flat.

GRW810

New York Red Bulls fan here.

Watching Philly-KC. KC have been tipped by many to go all the way this year but they're very, very lucky to be 1-1 at HT. Union should be three or four up but for terrible finishing and some typically good keeping by Nielsen.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not really related to stuff going on this year but what do you guys think the odds are of Orlando getting an MLS team?

I've been to some of the games down here and its a total blast and I know ownership from the get go has had intentions of doing this but how realistic are the chances?

GRW810

Not really related to stuff going on this year but what do you guys think the odds are of Orlando getting an MLS team?

I've been to some of the games down here and its a total blast and I know ownership from the get go has had intentions of doing this but how realistic are the chances?
Albeit from thousands of miles away here in England, I think Orlando have been the best candidate for several years now. They fill a gap in the south-eastern territory, they have ambition, money, a good set-up, they're a respected club in the lower tier. An existing club like Orlando being overlooked in favour of a non-existant franchise that will be specially created is an absolute farce.

Maybe my Red Bulls mindset has me biased about this (I also think it's a huge threat to us, seeing as we haven't cracked the NY area as it is without another team coming along) but I honestly think MLS should be looking at worthy candidates that already exist rather than fictional teams that will just wander into the league. Look how great the addition of teams like Portland, Vancouver and Seattle have been, because they've brought tradition and a fanbase.

Orlando average 10k I believe. That's on par with Dallas and San Jose. With the brand new stadium they're planning to build and the MLS competition Orlando could be one of the best drawing clubs in the league.

GRW810

Keane will do well for you guys.

How long is Landon staying with Cambodia Beach FC?
Without Donovan for the short term and Beckham for good, Keane needs to build a new understanding up top. He's a quality striker but all strikers need ammo. Juninho capable and Magee always puts in a shift. I still think Galaxy are going to be a diminished team this year. I hope so anyway, the thought of a third straight cup is sickening. They were awful for most of last year and still trumped everyone else.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care who wins the MLS Cup this year as long as it isn't another AEG team. I think NY will be better this year since ey have a coach that understands MLS.

I don't understand LA. They gave up Saunders to sign a 39 year old who has barely played in years.

Askani

Philly carrying play all match and Sporting KC has a 2-1 lead

For sure. Really surprised we're up. Philly was playing tough the first half. Our second goal was only because of a huge breakdown on Phiily's defense. We're not as intense as we usually are.

And Convey looked like ass. He really needs to get back in the flow of playing regular minutes.

GRW810

Fuck yeah Bieler. Earning that DP money. No d around him and he buries it. 3-1.

Was a very nice finish. Union absolutely nowhere near him though. Second half has showed where these sides really are. SKC responded well and look strong, Union useless as always.

Askani

Great result. Glad to see we bootstrapped up after a shakey start. Rossel and Bieler getting some confidence from goals. If we can get back into the flow we should be the same old SKC I know and love, if not better.

Watched the first 30 minutes of Phi / KC with Union dominating. Shocked at that result. Good on Sporting for fighting back.

I'm supporting Sounders and Fire this year, my first full MLS season. Already dreading the late Seattle kickoffs.

Nesotenso

SKC was poor in the first half. Le Toux should have finished the attempt in front of goal with the Union up 2-0. The team got better half. Still the link up in the midfield and final third needs to improve. Also I would like to Zusi send in crosses from the wing more because this will probably be the role JK asks of him in the USMNT. Myers crosses from the right side today were terrible although he (and Zusi) set up Bieler. Glad to have MLS back.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Toledo being Toledo.

Could have been a red card but not a penalty kick since it was outside the box. Luckily Hamid saved it.

UncleO

First kick was fun as usual. would have liked a win but am not surprised Hack was out coached. New year same U. at least the third kit looked nice.

20130302_162220_zpse33fa2cc.jpg

its been fun PPL see you in two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom