• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7evn

I'm glad RSL got the win last night, wasn't sure what to expect going in. Also it looks like all the players we lost had big nights.

Dartastic

I'll take a 3-3 tie over losing 4-3 to a stoppage time bicycle kick. If that shot went in I would've spontaneously combusted.
You would have spontaneously combusted? Imagine how I would have felt, sitting in the Army. Hahaha.
Timbers were sensational, they just never gave up. They pressed and pressed and wore us down. In Nagbe, Johnson and Valeri you've got one hell of an attack.
Yeah. Nagbe and Valeri were all over the place last night. It was glorious. I'm also SO glad that this team just did not give up. Last year we would have folded worse than a piece of origami.

Osorio

Looking back I'm not angry about the result at all. From the fact that our team is almost entirely new, to the fact that we didn't play that well in the first half at all, or that our best player was Silvestre. A point away to a much hungrier side is great.

Imagine what we'd look like if our DPs didn't play like shit.

alphaNoid

Banned
Was at he LA vs Chi game yesterday, fun to watch McGee and his hat trick. Good start to the season, hopefully better than last season.

Azuran

Banned
Me too. I have no expectations this year. I'm just gonna have fun with it.
Actually that 1-0 away loss to Vancouver wasn't that bad considering the team we are fielding. lol

I seriously believe this is our best backline ever... and I just got depressed.

Dartastic

Looking back I'm not angry about the result at all. From the fact that our team is almost entirely new, to the fact that we didn't play that well in the first half at all, or that our best player was Silvestre. A point away to a much hungrier side is great.

Imagine what we'd look like if our DPs didn't play like shit.
We basically gave you two goals. On a silver platter.

Askani

Making a few adjustments to the OP and will add more info over the next week if I can. PM me if you have suggestions or comments.

Dartastic

I'd also like to come out and say how refreshing it was to see Caleb Porter come out dressed in a suit and tie, and looking like a COACH. Man. Love that guy. <3

Askani

Just a reminder that there's a CONCACAF game tonight. Houston vs Santos. Will be on Fox Soccer at 8 p.m. EST.

Nesotenso

Just caught the last 10 minutes of Houston and Santos Laguna. Houston win 1-0 and take the one goal lead into Mexico. Does this work like the UEFA champions league with the away goals a tiebreaker ?

Remy

Just caught the last 10 minutes of Houston and Santos Laguna. Houston win 1-0 and take the one goal lead into Mexico. Does this work like the UEFA champions league with the away goals a tiebreaker ?

Yes. From the regulations guide, page 6 "Tie-Breaker Procedures" (keep in mind the entire knockout section is called "the Championship Stage"):

In the event that the two teams are tied on aggregate goals scored at the end
of Regulation time in the 2nd Leg of the Championship Stage, the following tiebreaker criteria shall be applied, in order, to determine the winning team.
• Greater aggregate number of away goals scored in regulation time in the
two matches (excluding any goals scored in overtime)
• Greater number of goals scored in the overtime periods at the end of the
second match
• Kicks from the Penalty Spot procedure (as per FIFA Laws of the Game)

Osorio

I read about two big changes to this year's Open Cup

1. The 1st place prize goes from 100k to 250k

2. No more bid hosting process. All hosts will be determined at random.

Good stuff and about time.

Askani

I read about two big changes to this year's Open Cup

1. The 1st place prize goes from 100k to 250k

2. No more bid hosting process. All hosts will be determined at random.

Good stuff and about time.

Thank God. That needed to change. Also, looks like they are increasing the tourney from 64 teams to 68.

Meier

Nice OP. I don't follow MLS because I don't want to get attached to any team while I wait for Orlando City to hopefully get promoted but I do watch the games when I can as I'm a big fan of the sport in general. Caught the 2nd half of the Timbers-NYRB game this weekend and what an ending.

My fiancee and I were looking at going to Seattle to take an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon and I was having it scheduled around going to a Sounders game but ultimately we picked a different destination. I do hope to get up there some day and see a game though as their stadium is truly a sight to behold.

Osorio

Nice OP. I don't follow MLS because I don't want to get attached to any team while I wait for Orlando City to hopefully get promoted but I do watch the games when I can as I'm a big fan of the sport in general. Caught the 2nd half of the Timbers-NYRB game this weekend and what an ending.

My fiancee and I were looking at going to Seattle to take an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon and I was having it scheduled around going to a Sounders game but ultimately we picked a different destination. I do hope to get up there some day and see a game though as their stadium is truly a sight to behold.

Orlando is probably gonna get it. There's already a good fanbase for a minor league team and MLS seems to do well in NBA-MLS markets.

Meier

Orlando is probably gonna get it. There's already a good fanbase for a minor league team and MLS seems to do well in NBA-MLS markets.

That's my thought process. The team can already do 9-10k which is really pretty fantastic and there are some very strong supporter groups. I know there's a lot of support at the government level to make the stadium happen so I hope they get off their asses and push it through.

Askani

I'm happy about Orlando coming to the league someday. If that comes to pass, who gets pushed to the Western Conference? It has to be SKC or Houston. Either one really makes the Eastern conference alot weaker. Are there any new "western" teams on the horizon?

It'll definitely be Houston in the West, and not a moment too soon. It's a travesty that they're not in the same conference as their biggest rival.

I'm also looking forward to the successful lower division teams leaving for MLS. I still don't understand why San Antonio hasn't been hyped up more, with their 10k attendance in NASL. (that's one potential Western expansion team, BTW). Salivating at the thought of a Cascadia-like Lone Star Cup between the Texan teams.

I'm happy about Orlando coming to the league someday. If that comes to pass, who gets pushed to the Western Conference? It has to be SKC or Houston. Either one really makes the Eastern conference alot weaker. Are there any new "western" teams on the horizon?

Minnesota someday maybe? The NASL Minnesota Stars just got rebranded so I don't know how to take it.

Osorio

It'll definitely be Houston in the West, and not a moment too soon. It's a travesty that they're not in the same conference as their biggest rival.

I'm also looking forward to the successful lower division teams leaving for MLS. I still don't understand why San Antonio hasn't been hyped up more, with their 10k attendance in NASL. (that's one potential Western expansion team, BTW). Salivating at the thought of a Cascadia-like Lone Star Cup between the Texan teams.

San Antonio would be another NBA-MLS market

Hmmm

UncleO

San Antonio will happen. Not liking the name change of the STARS, but their unis and crest are nice.

ehh does MLS need another team in Texas? i would rather them add to the southeast before that ( Orlando, Miami). im also not a fan of adding another team in NYC area

San Antonio would be another NBA-MLS market

Hmmm

They're very clearly angling for it, too. They have a 10k-ish soccer specific stadium in place, with schematics that could very easily expand it to 20k. It's still a bit early, though: they've only existed for a year, and there's no guarantee they'd be able to sustain that kind of attendance. At least their FO seems to know what they're doing on the field; they had the best regular season record in NASL as an expansion team last year.

ehh does MLS need another team in Texas? i would rather them add to the southeast before that ( Orlando, Miami). im also not a fan of adding another team in NYC area

Texas is huge. Asking why we need a team in San Antonio when we've got teams in Dallas and Houston is like asking why we need a team in Chicago when we have teams in Kansas City and Columbus.

To clarify, I wouldn't want San Antonio to crowd out NY2 or Orlando, but it's not like we have to stop at 20 teams. NY2, Orlando, and San Antonio put us at 22 teams, with nicely balanced conferences as Houston and San Antonio move west and NY2 and Orlando play east.

Really? I thought Scorpion was great.

I was disappointed we didn't get something like "Last Stand FC," though that would probably run into the same problems Houston 1836 did. "Scorpions" and the logo screams "minor league," to me, though. Then again we all got used to names like "Timbers" "Sounders" and "Crew," so I guess we'll get used to it.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 1836 name, just faux outrage PC bullshit that forced us to have another europosing name. We need cool names like Last Stand FC, Heartland, Roxky Mountain Arsenal. I will be pissed if Detroits future team is not called Motor City.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 1836 name, just faux outrage PC bullshit that forced us to have another europosing name. We need cool names like Last Stand FC, Heartland, Roxky Mountain Arsenal. I will be pissed if Detroits future team is not called Motor City.

I don't know, I think it makes sense not to hearken back to a point in history where the one major demographic group in your city slaughtered the other major demographic group wholesale. As cool as the name would be (and I'm in love with "Last Stand FC"), there's just no point in choosing a name on narrowly ethnic lines. Limiting appeal to one race doesn't seem to be working out too well for Chivas. Don't really see an issue with the other names you listed, and Motor City FC in particular is a no-brainer for Detroit.

How does this sentence not have "Red Bulls" in it? The worst name for a team in the history of bad team names.

"Red Bulls" get a pass because "Red Bull New York" actually does sound mildly classy. Not their fault everyone calls them the "Red Bulls"

Osorio

My fantasy team is gonna finish at the bottom

I feel it.

Is there a big crowd at Rogers Centre? I'm at work and can't watch.

Nesotenso

We look like complete trash today. We'll be lucky to get out of here at 4-0 at this point.

SKC were real bad the first half. The first give away by Besler was just inexcusable. On the attacking side I think Sapong made a good case of being up front with Bieler instead of Bobby Convey. The through ball passes in the final third were often poor.

Dartastic

Timbers Starting XI vs. Impact: Ricketts; Miller, Jean-Baptiste, Silvestre, Harrington; Chara, Valeri, W. Johnson-C; Alhassan, R. Johnson, Nagbe

Timbers Subs: Gleeson, Tucker-Gangnes, Wallace, Jewsbury, Nanchoff, Zemanski, Valencia.

I guess that's that. Don't fuck up again Silvestre. DO US PROUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom