• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5 interim thread - the series concludes Summer 2013 on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
j9uqzCTXKwxli.jpg

Breaking Bad will return this Summer for the final eight episodes. We will be using this thread for news and discussion until then. We were about to hit 20,000 posts in the old thread, so here's the new one to use until a week before the S5.2 premiere. Most speculation points to the final half season premiering in the middle of July, but AMC have not released a firm date yet.
AMC said:
About Season 5

Breaking Bad returns to AMC for the first part of its final season on Sunday July 15 at 10/9c. In the highly anticipated new season, a newly empowered and increasingly remorseless Walter White (Bryan Cranston) finds himself attempting to control a tenuous empire. But uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. At the end of Season 4, Walt's war with Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito) ended in triumphant victory. Now, his transformation from a well-meaning family man into Heisenberg, a ruthless drug kingpin, is almost complete. No longer under the thumb of a mastermind criminal, Walt now assumes the role of one himself, as he and Jesse (Aaron Paul) look to build their own empire. Meanwhile, Skyler (Anna Gunn) struggles with the reality of her husband's new role and Hank (Dean Norris) works to wrap up his investigation of Gus' business.

About the Show

Breaking Bad follows protagonist Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a chemistry teacher who lives in New Mexico with his wife (Anna Gunn) and teenage son (RJ Mitte) who has cerebral palsy. White is diagnosed with Stage III cancer and given a prognosis of two years left to live. With a new sense of fearlessness based on his medical prognosis, and a desire to secure his family's financial security, White chooses to enter a dangerous world of drugs and crime and ascends to power in this world. The series explores how a fatal diagnosis such as White's releases a typical man from the daily concerns and constraints of normal society and follows his transformation from mild family man to a kingpin of the drug trade.

ewjHm.jpg

Cast

Bryan Cranston - Walter White
Anna Gunn - Skyler White
Aaron Paul - Jesse Pinkman
Dean Norris - Hank Schrader
Betsy Brandt - Marie Schrader
RJ Mitte - Walter White, Jr.
Bob Odenkirk - Saul Goodman​

Wdqpj.jpg
ibtt4COdwBLYUR.jpg
Kw51z.jpg
inYfvQwIG9N3P.jpg
i1VxmXfhvXlit.jpg
ib0kRIWhQanlYv.jpg
ibxjxxSsxZlJJj.jpg

Other Links and Media

Twitter Accounts

On Spoilers:

Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once an episode airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
There is a spoiler thread if you'd like to discuss leaks, photos, and other content without spoiler tags:

If anything leaks, please use the other thread for discussion.​

jbwrrHxGPydtPi.jpg

Content that has appeared since the Season 5, Part 1 finale:

AMC Content:

Articles and Interviews:
- Salon.com: Would “Breaking Bad’s” Czech scheme work?
- IndieWire: 'Breaking Bad' Director of Photography Michael Slovis Talks About Shaping the Look of the Most Cinematic Show on Television
- Minnesota Daily: Breaking bonds: The chemistry of “Breaking Bad”
- Sepinwall Interview: 'Breaking Bad' creator Vince Gilligan on poetry books, time jumps and the end for Walter White
- Rolling Stone Interview: 'Breaking Bad' Creator Vince Gilligan Goes Deep on the Final Season
- Salon.com: The real Walter White (interview with the BB chemistry consultant)
- ThinkProgress: Is ‘Breaking Bad’ About Capitalism, Or Masculinity, Or Both?
- Slate.com Interview: A Conversation With Vince Gilligan
- Salon.com: "Breaking Bad" creator Vince Gilligan looks back -- and ahead to the last eight episodes
- Nerdist Writers Panel w/ Vince Gilligan and the Breaking Bad writing staff. Recorded the day after the finale aired.
- The Daily Beast: ‘Breaking Bad’: Bryan Cranston, Vince Gilligan, Emmy Nominations (discussion of five scenes from S5
- THR: Emmys 2012: 'Breaking Bad' Star Aaron Paul Can't Believe He Beat Costar for Emmy Win
- Gilligan on Colbert: Part 1
- Gilligan on Colbert: Part 2
- Brief Hitfix interview: Bryan Cranston on Breaking Bad's final eight episodes
- THR: Showrunners 2012 Q&A: 'Breaking Bad's' Vince Gilligan
- Brief Cranston interview with Shortlist Magazine
- Short interview on Huffington Post: 'Breaking Bad' Final Season: Creator Vince Gilligan Talks 'Terror' As End Approaches (no spoilers)
- Vince Gilligan in conversation with The Hollywood Reporter’s Tim Goodman (podcast)
- GQ UK: Aaron Paul on Smashed, the finale of Breaking Bad and chasing Radiohead around Europe
- NY Magazine: Ten Things on Vince Gilligan’s Mind As He Writes the Final Episodes of Breaking Bad
- Deadline: AMC Eyes ‘Talking Bad’ Companion Talk Show For ‘Breaking Bad’s Final Episodes
- THR: Sony To Give 'Breaking Bad' A 4K Makeover
- Dean Norris interview with Canada.com
- Rian Johnson won a DGA award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Dramatic Series for "Fifty-One"
- Chicago Tribune: Argonne scientist proves quite a character on 'Breaking Bad'
- International Cinematographers Guild Magazine: Pressure Cooker
- THR: 'Breaking Bad' Creator Vince Gilligan to Direct Series Finale
- TV Guide: Breaking Bad Preps For The End *SPOILERS, please tag any discussion*
- THR: 'Breaking Bad' Lands on Sundance Channel in Syndication Deal

Fan videos:
- Breaking Bad, Full Title Sequence (youtube, extended version of the opening credits)
- Jesse Pinkman dramatic montage (youtube)
- One more fan video on youtube that's been making the rounds: The Journey of Walter White
- Breaking Bad - Illustrated (vimeo vid)
- Fan video on youtube - Journey of Walter White
- Breaking Bad - Take Me Somewhere Nice (fan video)
- Breaking Bad - The Ecstasy of Gold (fan vid, S1-S4)
- Breaking Bad - For What Time I Have Left - Walter White (Fan Tribute)
- Breaking Bart (Breaking Bad / Simpsons Mashup) (youtube)
- Breaking Bad - He Does What I Say - Jesse Pinkman (Fan Tribute) (youtube)
- narvinek updated "The Ecstasy of Gold" tribute video on youtube with scenes from the first half of S5 (youtube)
- Taylor Swift + Breaking Bad Parody - 'We Are Never Ever Gonna Cook Together'
- Breaking Bad vs The Money Pit (youtube)
- Also, EW.com recut a Breaking Bad trailer as a Lifetime movie (youtube)
- Breaking Bad scenes edited in a The Wire-style opening, all 5 seasons
- Downton Abbey - Breaking Bad mashup from the Colbert Report
- Breaking Bad - Nobody Wins - 2013 - Walter White (Fan Tribute) (youtube)
- Family Guy on Breaking Bad (youtube)
- Skyfall (fan vid)
- "Bitch" compilation
- Taylor Swift meme featuring Walter White
- Breaking Bad - 1995 Style

Misc:
- Breaking Bad's location scout did an AMA on Reddit
- Someone over at Quora did some quick calcs on how much money might be in the storage unit stacks
- Matt Zoller Seitz asks: What’s Your Favorite Single Image From Breaking Bad?
- NY Magazine: Readers Pick Their Favorite Shots From Breaking Bad
- NY Magazine Video: The Sounds of Breaking Bad: A Wordless Recap of Season Five
- Analysis of the symbolism in the first three seasons of Breaking Bad. (youtube, discussion)
- Jesse Pinkman's reaction to splitting S5 into two parts (youtube)
- Infographic on the death toll from Breaking Bad
- IndieWire VIDEO ESSAY: Gliding Over All: The Cinematography of Breaking Bad, Season 4
- IndieWire video essay on season 5.1 can be found here.
- EW.com: 'Mythbusters' to do 'Breaking Bad'-themed episode with Aaron Paul and Vince Gilligan
- All of the Breaking Bad comics
- Breaking Bad picked up a bunch of Writer's Guild Award nominations
- Wired.com: Walter White Lookalikes Descend on Albuquerque to See Who Breaks Baddest
- MTV Geek: Mezco Toyz Are Cooking Up 'Breaking Bad' Toys
- THR: 'Breaking Bad' Fan Gives Lifelike Drawings to Show's Stars
- THR: 'Breaking Bad' Actor Running for Albuquerque School Board (Video)
- EW.com: 'Breaking Bad' actress to play Michael J. Fox's wife on NBC (What Betsy Brandt will be doing once the series concludes)
- Rian Johnson will be directing one episode in S5.2
- Breaking Bad toys up for preorder
- Impressive set of Walter White renderings on Frank Tzeng's website
- Methopoly, anyone?
- Warming Glow: I Took The ‘Breaking Bad’ Tour Of Albuquerque And Got To Hang With Bryan Cranston Along The Way

Please let me know about any broken links or if there is additional content to add to the lists. Thanks.

Season 5 Content Roundup Posts:

Season 5 Content Roundup Posts:

Mogwai

Just finished season 4 yesterday. Holy christ! I don't think I've ever seen such an entertaining and moving series before. Especially 'Crawl Space', what an epic episode...

Gotta see the first half of S5 before it the rest airs.

Pug

It’s a disgrace that no network in the UK picked BB up (especially with the shite we currently have). I only got into the show around a year ago but for a show of this quality in beggars belief that UK viewers need to wait for DVD releases, lash out for Netflix or scratch around the net’ looking for episodes. I caught up with series 5 a couple of weeks ago and can’t wait for the final 8. Probably the best TV I have witnessed from the States.

It’s a disgrace that no network in the UK picked BB up (especially with the shite we currently have). I only got into the show around a year ago but for a show of this quality in beggars belief that UK viewers need to wait for DVD releases, lash out for Netflix or scratch around the net’ looking for episodes. I caught up with series 5 a couple of weeks ago and can’t wait for the final 8. Probably the best TV I have witnessed from the States.

It would have been an absolute smash on Channel 4.

I dont know for sure, but I could imagine Netflix getting some sort of Breaking Bad UK exclusivity.

Frost_Ace

Thank God the blu-rays are finally coming to the UK this june :D

Arcteryx

I'm going to be PISSED if the final moments of the show aren't filled with the song "Car Wash", whilst Walt guns down baddies with his M60.

So excited, but I'm not gonna look at any previews or trailers, I wanna go in clean

Can't wait!

Be sure to skip the "previously on Breaking Bad" bits AMC puts on before the show too, because that often spoils what previous plot points will return in each episode.

Dany

Banned
Just finished season 4 yesterday. Holy christ! I don't think I've ever seen such an entertaining and moving series before. Especially 'Crawl Space', what an epic episode...

Gotta see the first half of S5 before it the rest airs.
l

Damn straight. The ending alone makes it one of the best.

So hyped for the final 8 eps. SHIT GONNA GO DOWN LIKE A TON OF BRICKS YO.

Won't be looking at any spoilers or trailers tho.

But I hope Walt Jr/Flynn wants to cook breakfast sometime.

Wilbur

Banned
Lois and Hal run away together and Jesse kills himself. Walt Jr starts a breakfast company from an RV. Hank gets skin pigmentation to look like Gomie. Saul masturbates.

End of episode one.

Pug

I dont know for sure, but I could imagine Netflix getting some sort of Breaking Bad UK exclusivity.

I don't know channel 5 showed series 2 would you believe, series one never aired in the UK and after showing series 2 Channel 5 announced it would not be showing any of the others. Series 4 was a nightmare to get hold off on DVD also, constantly sold out. Mind the opening episode of series 4 was worth the price alone.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I am not ready for the end, but the hype riding on this final season will probably kill me.

This wait is killing me. I already watched 1-5 through once since 5 finished last year. Will no doubt do it again once we have the air date.

Con_Smith

Banned
Can I suggest some podcasts? David Chen from /film has a recap podcast called "The Ones Who Knock" that has guests from the show and a nice piece he did involving the music of season 5. Also the Breaking Good has some great episode recaps as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom