• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop Magazine March Issue - dev community's response to PS4

artist

Banned
The new March GDC show issue of Develop is out and some comments from devs (I could bold the entire article actually :p)

HIGH PRAISE

Certainly, there are many developers that seem convinced by Sony’s new offering, with studios like Climax being quick to praise the PS4’s advantages over the PS3.

“In terms of the ease of PS4 development, it's much easier to develop for,” offered Simon Gardner, CEO at confirmed PS4 developer Climax, speaking to Develop.

“The tool chain is an advancement over the PS3 and everything about it is slicker, simpler and much more developer-friendly. We were very pleased with the 8GB of memory, and the compute shader system is very powerful.”

And Gardner is not alone, with others queuing up to praise the PS4.

"We're most impressed by Sony's change of attitude toward their platforms,” stated James Marsden, MD of Velocity developer FuturLab.

“PS3 launched with Sony's first-party publishing having a strong preference toward triple-A showcases, and a pretty blunt disregard for anything less than that, including 2D games, whereas now they're much more supportive of good ideas and fun, well-designed games, regardless of production value.”

And over in the world of triple-A games, Ubisoft were predictably optimistic, standing as they do as a registered PS4 developer. But like Marsden and Gardner, Yves Guillemot, co-founder and CEO of Watch Dogs developer Ubisoft, did recognise failings with the current generation.

In particular, he alluded to the PlayStation 3’s infamously troublesome developer accessibility.

"PS4 is a great machine; we'll be able to make things look fantastic," Guillemot told Develop.

"Because the teams are working hard on their projects, I think we will see good things from the start. Sure, in two years engineers will figure out how to do a lot more. But these machines are easier to build on than before, so we should be able to reach their potential quicker."

Guillemot later added that he believes PS4 will enable more creative games design.

"They have so many features that they can play with,” he said. “It's easier to be a creative person with new consoles, because after four years of people using all the capacity, it's harder to be innovative. With PS4, we will see new ideas and new ways to approach gamers. And that will excite consumers and excite creators."

THE WAIT IS OVER

Others chose to deliver a more mixed opinion of the PlayStation 4, including Daniel Kaplan, business developer at Minecraft creator Mojang Specifications.

"I really didn't have a clue on what to expect other than more of the same, but a fine tuned experience," Kaplan told Develop, before reiterating the sentiment that the PS4 corrects several of the current generation’s failings.

"Sony has fixed the issues with waiting time which in my opinion is quite a disaster on consoles today; waiting on updates, having to update before starting a game, being unable to download at the same time you are playing, etcetera.”

Kaplan also chose to criticise the DualShock 4 as being crowded in terms of inputs and lacking in elegance, but still had much good to say about the PS4.

“I’m really looking forward to the recording features,” he said, referring to the console’s focus on social elements and sharing of gameplay experiences.

“Video recording is something that has been huge for Minecraft on YouTube, and I hope that it will be a great success for other developers too. I’m still uncertain about the cloud gaming features, but if they can pull it off it will be great."

Long-standing UK outfit Blitz Games Studios, itself a confirmed PS4 developer and middleware provider, clearly feels utterly optimistic about the PS4, mirroring the perspective of numerous games companies Develop spoke with.

"Sony's PS4 platform, and their continued commitment to supporting developers and fostering innovation, means that the space of possibility for new game experiences isn't just mere conjecture,” insisted Blitz studio design director John Nash, speaking with Develop.

“For us the real excitement will begin when the second, third and fourth wave of titles hit, hopefully taking full advantage of the unique features of the Sony PS4.”

TOOLING UP THE PS4

Other middleware providers working to support the new Sony console shared Blitz’s enthusiasm with tools giant Havok giving a passing nod to the current generation’s demands on developers.

In the last few weeks a raft of third-parties, including SpeedTree and NaturalMotion, have announced availability of their tools for PS4.

“It’s a great honour to be in on the ground floor of a powerful new platform like PlayStation 4,” Havok MD David Coghlan told Develop.

"Expanding our tools and middleware to support the new system will mean developers can focus less on reinventing the wheel and more on crafting truly amazing next-gen gaming experiences with ambitious new ideas and captivating new worlds to explore.”

And if the era of ‘reinventing the wheel is over,’ then engine providers like Epic, which supports indies and triple-A outfits alike with it’s various offerings, should see the full breadth of its industry customers able to realistically consider making games for the PS4.

“We are thrilled to build onto our long-established success with PlayStation,” said Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, in a press statement. “Unreal Engine 4 is expertly designed for the next generation of games development and the outstanding power of PlayStation 4. The demonstration offers a preview of what developers can accomplish using our tools to create games for PlayStation 4.”

If nothing else, Sony appears to have by and large convinced the games development community, with many already boasting experience with the PS4 reporting a positive experience, unlike that seen with the PS3. The platform holder must now deliver on its promise, and questions remain about accessibility for indies, but, all in all, it seems developers are eager and optimistic.

To the dismay of some consumers, Sony did decline to show the form factor of the PS4 – presumably with a view to release more information at a later point – and the exact release date and retail price currently remain a mystery. All that is known is that the machine will be available to the public in ‘at least’ one territory by Christmas this year.

Late in February, having previously named 53 European studios as confirmed PS4 developers, Sony has now revised the list to 30 companies. Studios no longer named include Mojang and Angry Birds’ outfit Rovio.

There were additions though, including Hitman’s IO Interactive, DmC studio Ninja Theory, DayZ developer Bohemia, 2K Games, Sumo Digital and Witcher 3 creators CD Projekt. No changes were made to the lists of US or Japanese developers.

Regardless, optimism abounds, summed up neatly by Caspar Field, co-founder and CEO of indie Wish Studios.

“PS4 was intelligently pitched as developer-friendly, internet-friendly, powerful, social, and accessible – all of those were the right buttons to press,” he told Develop.

“It was smart to save the case design and price for later in the year; it's the services, positioning and controller that matter most. Sony has played its cards smartly.”

WHAT ABOUT INDIES?

At the New York unveiling, Sony executives repeatedly said the new device and its online functions are designed for indies, too.

SCE SVP of Worldwide Studios Michael Denny in particular used some of his on stage time at the event to promise support for small teams.

But each reference to independents was fleeting, and as such questions remain from teams without the capacity for triple-A production.

How high will the dev costs be for PS4? How will the marketplace and the submission process function? Develop spoke to Denny in person, pressing him on the indie issue.

“At PlayStation we want the broadest content we can possibly have, so, of course, we want the best big triple-A games, and the biggest genres out there. But we also want other content as well,” said Denny. “We want broader content and interesting content, and often that comes from smaller indie communities. We’ve always been open to indies.”

That should come as some encouragement for studios keen to harness the power of the PS4, many of whom have already set their hopes high, as typified by comments provided to Develop by Paul Taylor, Joint MD at studio Mode 7.

“PS4 looks like a much more practical option for indie devs than past Sony consoles,” he said. “I really appreciate what they've done in terms of its architecture. Also, there are loads of ways for players to share content, which helps out teams with smaller marketing budgets. All round, it looks like a good thing. I hope Sony will continue their proactive and supportive dealings with the indie community in the future."

Similarly, James Marsden, MD of FuturLab is optimistic about the future of indies’ relationship with PlayStation 4.

“Of course, they need their triple-A showcases, but Sony are doing a great job supporting indie developers, particularly on PS Vita,” he said. “The message that indie is important for Sony on PS4 took center stage with Jonathan Blow, so we're sold, and hope to get our hands on a PS4 development kit as soon as possible."

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1825/PS4-Does-it-get-right-what-PS3-got-wrong

Tratorn

Is everyone still reading or why is this on page 3 without any reply?!

Anyways, sounds really good as always. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS3 launched with Sony's first-party publishing having a strong preference toward triple-A showcases, and a pretty blunt disregard for anything less than that, including 2D games, whereas now they're much more supportive of good ideas and fun, well-designed games, regardless of production value.

I like the sound of this a lot.

It does look that ps4 gets everything spot on from a hardware/dev point of view. Now Sony must create a profitable ecosystem so that all size of developpers can florish.

UrbanRats

There's not much to be cynic about here.

- ps3 was a nightmare to develop for.
- ps4 not only is far more simply accessible but it's (according to the rumors) more similar to the Durango and a PC, making the porting of games much easier.
- developers want the platform to succeed, so they can sell their games to as much people as possible.

It's nothing revolutionary, but you don't have to be a paid mouthpiece to see how this is a better situation than PS3's, in terms of HW, if you're a game developer.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean developers almost always seem enthusiastic about every platform on Earth when magazines and websites interview them in the immediate aftermath of a console reveal, but man people seem extra super enthusiastic about what the PS4 means for them as a developer

i hope that translates later into meaningful next-gen support

Other then Mojang I have no idea who any of these developers are....

Good to know Sony has won over a lot developers though I suspect MS will win over the publishers.

Cidd

Good to hear this.

Waiting for incoming comments laced with salt

Already got my popcorn ready but something's missing. :p

This is a great read, it's good to hear Sony finally got there hardware side shit together. Now the software side will be the real test but so far it's looking good.

UrbanRats

Other then Mojang I have no idea who any of these developers are....

Good to know Sony has won over a lot developers though I suspect MS will win over the publishers.

Aren't the two consoles incredibly close in terms of specs? Unless Microsoft does some outlandish shit with their policies, i think people excited about Ps4 should also be excited for Durango.

I have no doubt that the Xbox will be a dev friendly architecture like always. Who knows what the business side will look like.

Thorgal

The Kaz train is getting pretty loaded with developers who are praising the ps4 already to the heavens and beyond
and a gaming community that is hyped as hell for it
All we need now is confirmation of massive japanese 3rd party support and sony is ready for war.

Imo Ms better hurry and blow peoples minds or they'll be facing a ps2 2.0.

The ease of development it great for the playstation. It's almost like previous playstation hardware was challenging on purpose.

Mario007

Aren't the two consoles incredibly close in terms of specs? Unless Microsoft does some outlandish shit with their policies, i think people excited about Ps4 should also be excited for Durango.

Xbox's GPU is said to be gimped compared to the PS4s and the memory has much lower bandwith and needs a more complicated solution to achieve what RAM in ps4 can do.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The hardware architecture is so similar to PC and it has a large unified RAM pool, so I expected it would be easy to develop for. Good to hear that it also has a good toolchain.

Looking forward to more output from developers with shorter dev cycles. This + 5 year generations + similar architecture in the future is needed to get the industry stronger. Think of all of the time saved by not having to recode everything with every generation.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Great, now develop some kick ass software for it please. First party I'm not worried about because I know they'll make that hardware sing. It's the third parties that I'm concerned about. Will they actually decide to take their time and get the most out of the system or just stick to bottom line like they usually do and go for parity.

teh_pwn

There really is gonna be a meltdown if the Xbox is more powerful.

Not from me. PS4 seems mildly powerful. Half a 7970, but with hardware specific optimization outputting the same level of detail. What makes me excited about it is that it is designed such that developers can reuse code. That it encourages new software design with video memory cache, and that this much GDDR5 production means that PC GPUs will likely follow due to mass production lowering prices.

If Xbox 3 is more powerful and has similar architecture, this is going to be the best gaming generation ever. Developers will be spending all of their time making games, reusing code. It will be fucking awesome. And if PS5 and Xbox 4 have the same architecture, developers will hit the ground running because they literally can start by reusing their PS4/Xbox3 game engines with higher IQ, increased FPS, lower frame latency, etc.

Cidd

There really is gonna be a meltdown if the Ps4 is more powerful*

To be honest I don't care which is more powerful, it's all about the games I like. I already decided to get a PS4 and a Wii U this gen because of all the JRPG I know both will be getting.

artist

Banned
For what it's worth, this mag (Develop) is given free to everyone who's attending the GDC. So I take it that the devs making comments in this article were very "open" in their interview.

Not on gaf.
So I take it you're one of those people who think GAF = Sony land.

word out on the net is, the nextbox is using dual APU's, MS leaked the 1.2 TFlop specs to fool Sony.
Quick, some one make a new thread! :p

teh_pwn

word out on the net is, the nextbox is using dual APU's, MS leaked the 1.2 TFlop specs to fool Sony.

If this improves crossfire support, I also welcome this.

I'm not paying attention to the rumors, but the DDR3 memory pool just screams wrong (or stupid on MS's part).

The question that Sony is dancing around is how they're going to make the PS4 accessible to indies. If a dev kit is thousands and thousands of dollars, the basement-developed indie hit isn't going to be very feasible.

Oppo

The question that Sony is dancing around is how they're going to make the PS4 accessible to indies. If a dev kit is thousands and thousands of dollars, the basement-developed indie hit isn't going to be very feasible.

They really haven't danced. There is already stuff like the Pub Fund, and they have spoken about self-publishing and self-administered updates on PS4.

artist

Banned
Going with a PC like arch makes it more accessible. Pretty sure Sony is also trying to double up their developer outreach program into making their tools, libs more accessible.

No I think there are more Sony only xbox haters than the other way around. The Sony only crowd tends to be more vocal on forums in my experience. I have owned every playstation device and love them but there is a crowd out there that loves to hate the Xbox.
Ok ..

So I take it you're one of those people who think GAF = Sony land.
No I think there are more Sony only xbox haters than the other way around. The Sony only crowd tends to be more vocal on forums in my experience. I have owned every playstation device and love them but there is a crowd out there that loves to hate the Xbox.

Cidd

Couldn't they just build there stuff on PCs then port it over to the PS4? it's practically a overclocked mid-range pc.

teh_pwn

Couldn't they just build there stuff on PCs then port it over to the PS4? it's practically a overclocked mid-range pc.

Nah, an i5 Ivy Bridge runs circles around PS4's CPU.

making patching much easier is wonderful news. The consoles need to have instantaneous patching nowadays considering the complexities of development. Having to wait, sometimes for several weeks after the PC patch has gone live, was always really irritating. Hopefully with the PS4 that's now all in the past.

Top Bottom