• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop Magazine March Issue - dev community's response to PS4

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just imagine if PS5 and Xbox 4 also use PC architecture. Developers could release games for both for years because why the fuck not? PC games can do it.

The game could even be released compatible with both system versions.

Cidd

No I think there are more Sony only xbox haters than the other way around. The Sony only crowd tends to be more vocal on forums in my experience. I have owned every playstation device and love them but there is a crowd out there that loves to hate the Xbox.

That goes for all 3 consoles and the PC crowd so i don't see what's your point, GAF is the most balanced forum I've been on.

If this improves crossfire support, I also welcome this.

I'm not paying attention to the rumors, but the DDR3 memory pool just screams wrong (or stupid on MS's part).
The yukon roadmap showed 4 gb ddr4 so I never understood the leaks that said the Xbox would have ddr3. I never heard anyone complain about ddr3 until the playstation got gddr5. I'm just glad these consoles are probably both getting a large amount of ram.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The yukon roadmap showed 4 gb ddr4 so I never understood the leaks that said the Xbox would have ddr3. I never heard anyone complain about ddr3 until the playstation got gddr5. I'm just glad these consoles are probably both getting a large amount of ram.

DDR3 just doesn't make sense at all, unless they are completely low balling the GPU. DDR3 is CPU RAM, not GPU RAM. Doesn't really matter how much EDRAM you duct tape to it, it's a horrible idea.

I mean developers almost always seem enthusiastic about every platform on Earth when magazines and websites interview them in the immediate aftermath of a console reveal, but man people seem extra super enthusiastic about what the PS4 means for them as a developer

i hope that translates later into meaningful next-gen support

There is absolutely no reason to believe their comments are disingenuous. Architecturally the PS4 seems to be everything developers have been asking for.

DDR3 just doesn't make sense at all, unless they are completely low balling the GPU. DDR3 is CPU RAM, not GPU RAM. Doesn't really matter how much EDRAM you duct tape to it, it's a horrible idea.
I had just assumed that the gpu would get some amount of faster ram.

Mifune

Mehmber
The question that Sony is dancing around is how they're going to make the PS4 accessible to indies. If a dev kit is thousands and thousands of dollars, the basement-developed indie hit isn't going to be very feasible.

I believe Blow said that his dev kit cost him nothing.

Satchel

Banned
Tempering excitement till I can see an in depth with the OS.

That was by far the worst part of the PS3. The OS and online integration was....disjointed, to say the least.

it's weird not hearing developers bitching about PS4. i mean i know it was only announced a few weeks ago, but still. didn't we have 1 out of every 5 devs complain about PS3 architecture after it was unveiled?

Cidd

it's weird not hearing developers bitching about PS4. i mean i know it was only announced a few weeks ago, but still. didn't we have 1 out of every 5 devs complain about PS3 architecture after it was unveiled?

More like 1 out of every 3, and that all started within the first year.

Amir0x

Banned
There is absolutely no reason to believe their comments are disingenuous. Architecturally the PS4 seems to be everything developers have been asking for.

I'm not suggesting they are being disingenuous in this case, just that when a new console releases, developers/publishers tend to try to be nice about the system in question because generally they intend to release games on it at some point and don't want to sour any relationships.

What I was suggesting is that the praise for PS4 may be really genuine indeed, because it is SO effusive that one must consider that it just is a developer's paradise.

Mifune

Mehmber
He's merely emphasizing that Sony probably gave him an expensive dev kit just so he could talk marvels about the system.

That sounds unlikely. But I guess it's possible. I don't understand why people can't just say that in their posts, though, instead of hiding behind cutesy quoting.

UrbanRats

Xbox's GPU is said to be gimped compared to the PS4s and the memory has much lower bandwith and needs a more complicated solution to achieve what RAM in ps4 can do.

The two system seem still closer in architecture than Ps3 and x360 were.
Regardless of power, porting games from one to the other should be easier now, which for developers (and publishers) is a great thing.

Espada

This praise is all well and good, but the most important things about the PS4 will be its price and its games. Talk is cheap, and if this joy over the device doesn't materialize into a steady stream of games for the platform, it's as good as dead.

The same applies to the price. If they touch $500, the PS4 is screwed.

Mifune

Mehmber
This praise is all well and good, but the most important things about the PS4 will be its price and its games. Talk is cheap, and if this joy over the device doesn't materialize into a steady stream of games for the platform, it's as good as dead.

The same applies to the price. If they touch $500, the PS4 is screwed.

Well you can't have a steady stream of games without developers wanting to develop for it so let's not put the cart before the horse.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am wondering something. If the PS4 still had the 4GB of GDDR5 ram, would it still be superior then the Xbox720 ram setup? I remember alot of people saying this before the Playstation meeting.

Xbox's GPU is said to be gimped compared to the PS4s and the memory has much lower bandwith and needs a more complicated solution to achieve what RAM in ps4 can do.

For the memory statement, we dont know if the "complicated solution" is an issue for developers. Maybe it is transparent for them.

Cidd

I am wondering something. If the PS4 still had the 4GB of GDDR5 ram, would it still be superior then the Xbox720 ram setup? I remember alot of people saying this before the Playstation meeting.

IMO I think the Xbox 720 would have had the upper hand 8GB even though slow is still 8GB
having twice the amount of RAM would probably make it the PS3 and Xbox 360 situation all over again.

As the Gen goes on Devs will start using that RAM and the PS4 would suffer.

it wouldn't matter. Microsoft will tout their 8GB around regardless of the type.

Respawn

Banned
Absolutely nothing wrong with this type of news. Folks needed to hear this and more of it after all the groans coding for PS3.

IMO I think the Xbox 720 would have had the upper hand 8GB even though slow is still 8GB
having twice the amount of RAM would probably make it the PS3 and Xbox 360 situation all over again.

As the Gen goes on Devs will start using that RAM and the PS4 would suffer.
And you would be wrong with that. Folks need to stop posting this

Mario007

The two system seem still closer in architecture than Ps3 and x360 were.
Regardless of power, porting games from one to the other should be easier now, which for developers (and publishers) is a great thing.
Oh yeah I agree on that front.
They still have a lot to prove on the OS side but I'm keeping my expectation in check.
Looking at Vita OS, I'd say they're there already.

jaypah

If developers are genuinely excited about PS4 (and I believe they are) then next Gen should be awesome. MS could fall flat on their face and it could still be a spectacular Gen. Can't wait for it to really get started.

prwxv3

There's not much to be cynic about here.

- ps3 was a nightmare to develop for.
- ps4 not only is far more simply accessible but it's (according to the rumors) more similar to the Durango and a PC, making the porting of games much easier.
- developers want the platform to succeed, so they can sell their games to as much people as possible.

It's nothing revolutionary, but you don't have to be a paid mouthpiece to see how this is a better situation than PS3's, in terms of HW, if you're a game developer.

This

Espada

Well you can't have a steady stream of games without developers wanting to develop for it so let's not put the cart before the horse.

And my post pointed out the difference between wanting to develop for it and actually doing so. Until we start seeing the platform being supported by these devs it's best to maintain a healthy bit of wariness for the console. We could easily be looking at another Wii U scenario where lots of support was pledged but has yet to materialize, leading to a dire situation.

Degrading into a PS4 v Xbox3 conversation so quickly? There really isn't anymore room for conversation about next gen consoles, is there?

artist

Banned
He's merely emphasizing that Sony probably gave him an expensive dev kit just so he could talk marvels about the system.
untitled-2dtk7j.gif

Sorry, I kid :(
Right?

Developers also had a hard time with the ps2 architecture, remember. I'm glad Sony finally turned it around with ps4. They've addressed many of the complaints we had with the ps3.

Top Bottom