• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro - Gaming Thread!

I will have my surface pro in week or so, and since it is a full blown pc, it can run steam and play modern games. some better, some worse.

Chipset: Intel Ivy Bridge third-gen Core i5 ultra-low voltage

Processor: Core i5 3317U at 1.7GHz (2.6GHz turbo)

Graphics Core: Intel HD 4000

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Storage: 64GB/128GB internal SSD, SDXC card slot

Display: 10.4-inch 1920x1080 ClearType with ten-point multi-touch

600x-1

eurogamer has done some framerate testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WCKKRWq49Ec

It is also able to run stuff like dolphin. This runs at 1080p, i bet the framerate would be better at a lower resolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tATubMabxGo

600x-1

So this thread is for sharing resolution, settings etc for games, maybe sharing some videos. It would be fun to see how much of a gaming machine surface pro can be.

Jaagen

The Broadwell version of this will be sweet.

(Broadwell will introduce even better graphics performance that Haswell as far as I know.)

With how much limited space is on that thing, gaming could be troublesome.

I guess one can install games on an external hdd.

It does have sd card support right?

With how much limited space is on that thing, gaming could be troublesome.

I guess one can install games on an external hdd.

It does have sd card support right?

micro sd card support

Never said he did a good job

i want to share settings for games and copied some stuff from eurogamer. not everyone is a viral marketer. ok I have a MS avatar, so i see why you might think that, but come on, a marketer wouldnt be this obvious. I just like microsoft products

Thorgal

interesting ,but can it run crysis 3 with all bells and whistles?

If i have to pay as much as i did for my pc for this thing it better be running smooth.

Zomba13

I kinda want one. My old Dell XPS somethingorother pretty much needs to be constantly plugged in to run (battery is like, dead) and struggles with HD video content now and games (something wrong with the gfx card or it's fan. Overheats like a mother fucker).
Would be nice to have a tablet that isn't just limited to apps and a watered down OS.

They are expensive though and I don't really need one. Would be nice to have one though.

TedNindo

My sister has the vaio 11 duo which has comparable specs. It runs everything on mid to low. But a lot of driver issues though. Far Cry 3 is playable but sometimes has some weird graphical issues because of drivers.

They still look better then on consoles.

Source games run really well.

Jackson

Surface is not a gaming laptop. Though I have played SimCity on it at a stable framerate with low settings.

It's just a great little work device with the added bonus of some gaming.

That's all.

kaf

I kinda want one. My old Dell XPS somethingorother pretty much needs to be constantly plugged in to run (battery is like, dead) and struggles with HD video content now and games (something wrong with the gfx card or it's fan. Overheats like a mother fucker).
Would be nice to have a tablet that isn't just limited to apps and a watered down OS.

Yea, I'm super interested in getting a surface too for that reason, since I can use it to install Photoshop and have a few games on it as well. Most of why I want it is the price at 999 and the wacom screen.

Grinchy

Banned
interesting ,but can it run crysis 3 with all bells and whistles?

If i have to pay as much as i did for my pc for this thing it better be running smooth.

The fact that it's a fraction of the size of your PC doesn't grant it any special considerations whatsoever?

muddream

Banned
Well, at least it's not the $1299 Razer™ Edge Pro Gaming Tablet (Accessories sold separately (Gamepad Controllers, Keyboard Dock, Docking Station)).

HoosTrax

I'm trying to figure out what niche this thing is filling.

- A laptop would be portable as well, and much more versatile and better bang for the buck (as in, a real GPU). Plus there are convertible laptops with touchscreens.
- The battery life on this thing will be limited to 1.5 hours if you're gaming on it.
- If you just want an eReader, then Android/iOS devices are a bit more streamlined for it.

M3d10n

Surface is not a gaming laptop. Though I have played SimCity on it at a stable framerate with low settings.

It's just a great little work device with the added bonus of some gaming.

That's all.

That can be said for basically any PC that's stuck with an Intel GPU.

However, at least you can actually play the games with an Intel GPUs these days, instead of having them outright refuse to open, be glitchy messes or run at 5~10fps even at the lowest possible settings.

muddream

Banned
That can be said for basically any PC that's stuck with an Intel GPU.

However, at least you can actually play the games with an Intel GPUs these days, instead of having them outright refuse to open, be glitchy messes or run at 5~10fps even at the lowest possible settings.

They'll catch up to the low-end Nvidia/AMD gpus with Haswell this summer.

HoosTrax

i'd be interested to see which games are legitimately playable with the touch screen other than Civ5.
Based on my own experiences using Splashtop HD to stream games from my PC to my Android tablet, many games just aren't suited for it because of the way mouse controls work in the game.

- The mobile-specific ports of those games have controls that work well for use with touchscreens.
- Trying to shoehorn controls from the PC version onto a touchscreen is kind of hit-or-miss.

Games like the PC versions of Bejeweled, Tripletown, Faerie Solitaire, etc work great on touchscreen. Other games are serviceable, but you're going to be desperately wanting to use a mouse or gamepad instead if at all possible, due to the comparative speed in input.

From the Surface |OT| thread, it seems like the device is capable of running any UE3 based game at 720p low to medium settings just fine.

Which accounts for quite a lot of the PC ports made recently. (DmC, XCOM, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Mass Effect 3 (1 and 2 too) and upcoming Bioshock Infinite)

Just plug in a wireless/wired 360 controller and you're good to go.

Alchemy

The GPU was the only thing holding me back from getting a Surface, and why I'm partially interested in the Razor Edge tablet. With a controller cradle and dock with USB ports for controllers and HDMI out, the form factor is awesome for game consumption. I just need to wait for my PC to get a bit more outdated before I can justify the purchase.

MS should've included a discrete GPU of some kind, as it stands it's not quite good enough for gaming to elicit a purchase out of me.

Thorgal

The fact that it's a fraction of the size of your PC doesn't grant it any special considerations whatsoever?

i was just taking a jab at it.

but to answer your question, no for me it isnt.

Perhaps i am crazy for sayin this but i always found tablets weird from the beginning i first saw them.

sure it has great functions but so does my smartphone plus you can put it in your pocket.

and if i want to play pc games,for the price their asking i could buy a laptop that would probably run the games much better then this thing would.

basically,for me at least it sits between a smartphone and a laptop while neither offering the convenience or a better performance compared to those two, respectively.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MS should've included a discrete GPU of some kind, as it stands it's not quite good enough for gaming to elicit a purchase out of me.

in a tablet this slim that would probably be currently impossible or very expensive. youre best hope is to wait until the HD 5000 which should be more than enough for current gen ports.

When temps are already hitting a scorching 80 degrees Celcius from intensive gaming on the Surface with just the integrated CPU/GPU combo, you can see why it's rather impossible for them to include it using the current manufacturing process.

Haswell would make it possible.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Eh, there's tons of games that run on systems that don't have dedicated GPUs. If I were a richer person, I'd probably get one and put games like FTL and Dredmor on it.

Top Bottom