• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (EAD Tokyo/Kyoto, Monolith, ND Cube) hiring for online related positions

So, the other day I noticed that a couple of Nintendo's first party teams have been hiring for network related positions recently and although I posted here, I thought it might be interesting to share in its own thread and discuss. Seems that some of their teams, at least, are heading for a more online focus in future games. I think it'll be interesting if the next 3D Mario has online play of some kind or if Tokyo is working on another game with it since there's two teams now.

Also, it seems like they want all of Japan to come in and try and fix the Wii U OS - look at all those OS and optimization related jobs, haha.

Monolith Soft (Tokyo):
-Looking for a network programmer, to code for a network client for a home console.

They're also hiring:
-experienced programmers
-game designers with experience in online games
-game designers with experience designing RPG towns
-Game designers with experience designing in-game events
-Game designers for designing battle algorithms, with experience writing enemy AI.
-3D CG designer
-2D designer
-Effect designer
-Motion designer
-Project manager

Nintendo Kyoto:
-Web engineer
-Network Library development engineer
-Network game library support engineer
-Server operation engineer
-GUI (front end) engineer
-Network service development director
-Network technical writer (also 1 more position via contract)
-Game development engineer (includes developing online systems for games)

As well as:
-Built-in Software Engineer (OS, SDK)
-Software Optimization Engineer
-Built-in Software Development Engineer
-Development environment systems engineer
-Development environment coordinator
-Product development coordinator
-Technical designer
-Artwork designer
-3D CG designer
-Effect designer
-GUI Designer (Software/game)
-Movie/Video Creation Staff
-Illustrator
-Industrial Designer
-Sound Editor
-Product Photography & Printed Material Designer
-Technical writer (consumer documentation)

Nintendo Tokyo (3D Mario):
-Network Application Engineer

As well as:
-Director/Main planner
-3D CG Designer
-Effect designer
-GUI designer
-Game Programmer
-Development environment field engineer
-Sound composer

ND Cube (Mario Party 9):

-Network programmer

As well as:
-Director
-Game planner
-3D graphic designer
-2D graphic designer
-Game programmer

Lock if less relevant than Game & Wario.

They're up to 5,095 permanent staff as at September 2012, up from 4,394 in December 2009 between all their branches (not including part-time or contract employees).

Other companies/first parties:

HAL Laboratory: 140 (Oct 2012) - up from 128 in 2008
Brownie Brown (1-UP Studio): 32 (April 2011, current unknown due to restructure)
Monolith Soft: 92 (March 2012) - up from 83 in 2009
Intelligent Systems: 127 (Nov 2012) -up from 115 in 2007

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Those are all Japanese jobs! :mad:

edit:

-Director/Main planner

Da fuck? This can't be for a 3D Mario. No way Nintendo would give a person from the outside the top spot in one of the biggest mainline titles.

Tenki

hoCEW.gif

The "3D CG Designer" under EADT catches my eye the most. Has a 3D Mario had CG scenes before?

Nope, but Metroid and Super Smash Bros. have had CG....I don't see why a more story-based Mario couldn't have one as well.

I wouldn't look too much into those network positions beyond online leaderboards / multiplayer...Except for Monolith Soft's posting. It'll be interesting to see how X is going forward.

Oersted

-Looking for a network programmer, to code for a network client for a home console.

X having an online mode confirmed?

Has ND Cube ever done anything other than party games?

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity.

The "3D CG Designer" under EADT catches my eye the most. Has a 3D Mario had CG scenes before?

Sunshine?

Sony is coming out of a slump, Nintendo is falling into one.

Junior, you are so confusing.

AntMurda

The entire reason Nintendo put focus on establishing that Tokyo R&D office is because Tokyo is the hot bed of development. Nintendo was probably losing out on a lot of talent by centering their main R&D in Kyoto.

Tokyo has been hiring CG designers and directors / planners for a long time. They are definitely working on more than just 3D Marios. But maybe Nintendo keeps shutting down whatever they want to do. Hopefully we see something badass alongside Mario from them in the near future.

The entire reason Nintendo put focus on establishing that Tokyo R&D office is because Tokyo is the hot bed of development. Nintendo was probably losing out on a lot of talent by centering their main R&D in Kyoto.

Tokyo has been hiring CG designers and directors / planners for a long time. They are definitely working on more than just 3D Marios. But maybe Nintendo keeps shutting down whatever they want to do. Hopefully we see something badass alongside Mario from them in the near future.

Pretty much. I think Tokyo has been said to be one of the fastest growing studios too.

Agreed. Mind-boggling.

Also doesn't give me hope for the spring updates.

Well, there's supposed to be Spring and Summer updates. :p

I feel like EAD Tokyo is NOJ's center of expansion and innovation in the HD gaming sphere, while the more conservative EAD Kyoto works on traditional IPs.

AntMurda

I feel like EAD Tokyo is NOJ's center of expansion and innovation in the HD gaming sphere, while the more conservative EAD Kyoto works on traditional IPs.

Pretty much. I think Tokyo has been said to be one of the fastest growing studios too.

We still have to wait for it all to materialize. We've seen absolute chaos happen to Nintendo developers. I would love for EAD Tokyo to focus on N64/SNES core style games. Would love to see a Star Fox or a new action game from them.

Hasn't EADT only made 3D Marios and a lone DK game in addition to helping with Zelda remakes?

http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/ead-tokyo (from krdb)

AntMurda

Yep.

That or F-Zero. Would prefer Mario Party on 3DS, F-Zero on WiiU tbh.

They only co-developed F-Zero Maximum Velocity with Nintendo R&D1 at the time. None of those people remain anyway. So F-Zero is not a likely candidate from ND Cube.

We still have to wait for it all to materialize. We've seen absolute chaos happen to Nintendo developers. I would love for EAD Tokyo to focus on N64/SNES core style games. Would love to see a Star Fox or a new action game from them.

I honestly think it's going to be a new IP that uses NFC.

AntMurda

I honestly think it's going to be a new IP that uses NFC.

That's kind of scary. Considering what the executives have been encouraging. Remember that Koizumi was actually leading a team to make a Zelda 2 remake on the FX chip after work hours? I'm sure those guys want to make cool stuff but Miyamoto and Tezuka have really been green-lighting family experiences.

That's kind of scary. Considering what the executives have been encouraging. Remember that Koizumi was actually leading a team to make a Zelda 2 remake on the FX chip after work hours? I'm sure those guys want to make cool stuff but Miyamoto and Tezuka have really been green-lighting family experiences.

Oh, I didn't know that about the Zelda 2 remake. It's nothing more than a hunch, but I do think if a new character-based IP is coming, it's going to come from them.

Nintendo has been building up their staff levels for a while now, this isn't a new thing.

Yep, they're up to 5,095 permanent staff as at September 2012, up from 4,394 in December 2009 between all their branches.

Good Feel: 72 (Oct 1 2012) -
Game Freak: 90 (April 2012) - up from 52 in 2007
HAL Laboratory: 140 (Oct 2012) - up from 128 in 2008
Brownie Brown (1-UP Studio): 32 (April 2011, current unknown due to restructure)
Monolith Soft: 92 (March 2012) - up from 83 in 2009
Intelligent Systems: 127 (Nov 2012) -up from 115 in 2007

serplux

Oh, I didn't know that about the Zelda 2 remake. It's nothing more than a hunch, but I do think if a new character-based IP is coming, it's going to come from them.

Yep, they're up to 5,095 permanent staff as at September 2012.

Good Feel: 72 (Oct 1 2012)
Game Freak: 90 (April 2012)
HAL Laboratory: 140 (Oct 2012)
Monolith Soft: 92 (March 2012)
Intelligent Systems: 127 (Nov 2012)

Didn't realize HAL was so big, yet they still put out comparatively fewer releases. Wonder what they're working on (other than the obligatory Kirby)?

Sandfox

Didn't realize HAL was so big, yet they put out comparatively fewer releases . Wonder what they're working on (other than the obligatory Kirby)?

Its probably just two Kirby games amd they may be helping out with the new Smash Bros. It would be pretty cool if one of the new Kirby games end up being a crossover.

ikioi

Banned
I wonder how many of those adverts are to replace staff.

Mass exodous of Nintendo perhaps?

I sure as hell wouldn't want to affiliate myself with its OS. It'd be like a death mark on my resume.

Either way confirmation that Nintendo spent the last few years doing sweet f all preperation for the Wii U.

Top Bottom