• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Won't Confirm if Danger Close Is Still Open

dc89

EA has refused to confirm whether Medal of Honor: Warfighter developer Danger Close Games has been closed amidst the company's ongoing restructuring.

VideoGamer.com contacted EA yesterday to enquire about the studio’s status following the publisher’s recent layoffs and the suggestion that the Medal of Honor franchise may have been put on hold. But we were told by the company that it would not be commenting on the status of Danger Close - including whether or not the studio remained open.

When pushed further on the subject, EA provided VideoGamer.com with a similar statement to the one it issued last week following the lay-offs at the publisher’s Montreal studio.

"EA is sharpening its focus to provide games for new platforms and mobile," said EA Corporate Communications’ Tiffany Steckler. "In some cases, this involves reducing team sizes as we evolve into a more efficient organization. Unfortunately we don’t disclose impact on individual teams or locations."

EA's decision to remain silent over the status of Danger Close is troubling, and raises serious questions about the studio's future. After all, why wouldn't EA deny claims that the studio may have been closed if it is in fact alive and well?

Key staff are known to have left the developer over recent months, including studio head Greg Goodrich who departed the team in December, and Warfighter's creative director Richard Farrelly in August 2012.

A glance at the LinkedIn profiles of other Danger Close employees suggest that an unusually high amount of staff also left the studio between January and March 2013.

Medal of Honor’s official Twitter feed - expected to be maintained by Danger Close - hasn't been updated since late February, either.

The future of Danger Close was cast in doubt following EA's decision to take Medal of Honor "out of rotation" earlier this year.

The publisher suggested that it would be killing off the shooter series after the latest release, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, failed to "resonate with consumers".

Ex-CEO John Riccitiello suggested that Warfighter's failure was the primary reason for EA's third quarter revenues coming in below expectations.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/m...firm_whether_danger_close_is_still_open.html#

It wouldn't surprise me if they had closed. I don't think the Medal of Honour games were any where close to selling what they needed to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To my knowledge they were dissolved a while back with the team being put on other EA LA projects where possible and the others being laid off.

Like I couldn't help but notice one of their producers now works on SimCity.

Someone who seems to know such things was implying this when I made a thread speculating if they were working on Bad Company as well.

dc89

I've never even heard of that studio.

Well you'll have played their games at somepoint. I think they were known as a different name before being re-branded as Danger Close. Danger Close though made the two Medal of Honour games, that's it.

Alienous

Well you'll have played their games at somepoint. I think they were known as a different name before being re-branded as Danger Close. Danger Close though made the two Medal of Honour games, that's it.

Yeah. They were EA LA, I believe.

MyVUf7T.jpg

They did The Neverhood back in the day as Dreamworks Interactive.

RIP for that alone, Danger Close.

The Medal of Honor games were poor. You ship 2 under performing titles and things start getting noticed. Sad that some people might have lost jobs from this.

Honestly it's very likely more down to having to create a modern military shooting in a sea of battlefield and call of duty. A return to WW2 era and the games could have sold well even if a little niche

They are credited as doing work on Spielberg/Smith's LMNO game on Giant Bomb. But that could just be 'cause they're under the umbrella of EA Los Angeles.

Sad state of affairs, with all the VFX lay offs in California recently it's not going to be easy. Shouldn't be that hard to find out if they're closed you could just call reception and ask to be put through to someone at Danger Close...

Dead Man

Unfortunately we don’t disclose impact on individual teams or locations."

This makes no sense to me. If you think it's unfortunate, disclose. If you think it is best to not disclose, it's not really unfortunate
/nitpicking

JoshHood

EA's LA area stuff seems to have been some of the worst managed studios this gen. Countless cancelled projects, often after years of pricey development. There's stuff like Tiberium, which got this epic reveal, then was dead less than a month later. Constant issues with C&C games, and all these constant labels. Victory, BioWare etc.

Jibbed

I hate to be that guy but the Medal of Honor games weren't anything special.

I'm glad EA's streamlining or whatever they're doing because to be honest, it'll probably help.

antitrop

They deserve to be shut down.

I dislike as much as the next when people lose their jobs, but people who are not competent at doing their jobs do not deserve to have them. There may be plenty of individual talent at the studio, but they have more than proved they are incapable of making a respectable product as a team.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I dislike as much as the next when people lose their jobs, but people who are not competent at doing their jobs do not deserve to have them.

antitrop
does not much care for
MOH: Warfighter

(Today, 11:48 AM)

We know your bias, but come on.

Y2Kev seemed to enjoy the first Medal of Honor reboots outing. I dunno about the second since DICE phoned in the multiplayer of the first to where I didn't bother with the first OR second (since DICE wasn't involved the second outing) was the campaign that bad?

Jibbed

antitrop
does not much care for
MOH: Warfighter

(Today, 11:48 AM)

We know your bias, but come on.

Y2Kev seemed to enjoy the first Medal of Honor reboots outing. I dunno about the second since DICE phoned in the multiplayer of the first to where I didn't bother with the first OR second (since DICE wasn't involved the second outing) was the campaign that bad?

You should see some of the videos on YouTube.

The game is so messed up.

Dead Man

I hate to be that guy but the Medal of Honor games weren't anything special.

I'm glad EA's streamlining or whatever they're doing because to be honest, it'll probably help.

I dislike as much as the next when people lose their jobs, but people who are not competent at doing their jobs do not deserve to have them. There may be plenty of individual talent at the studio, but they have more than proved they are incapable of making a respectable product as a team.

Do you mean the quality of the product, or the direction?

Grief.exe

I dislike as much as the next when people lose their jobs, but people who are not competent at doing their jobs do not deserve to have them.

It could be EA pulling the strings telling them to make a certain type of game.

Danger Close might have even wanted to design a modern military open world shooter with significant RPG elements.

They look at Call of Duty and think that this is what consumers want. They even want blame consumers when Medal of Honor doesn't meet expectations.

I personally think this is a horrible businesses model. The Call of Duty audience has proven time and again that they don't buy into other games. Probably for the same reason they chose CoD in the first place, because its easy. CoD is designed with various crutches in order to significantly lower the skill cap.

Its difficult to choose a new game, and even more difficult to learn the mechanics. This audience will not move onto other games.

antitrop

Do you mean the quality of the product, or the direction?

The quality of the product. Warfighter wasn't the worst game released last year, but it was in the bottom 3. It single handedly ended one of the most notable franchises of gaming, at least for the foreseeable future. EA is 100% laser focused on Battlefield as their military franchise now.

Dead Man

The quality of the product. Warfighter wasn't the worst game released last year, but it was in the bottom 3. It single handedly ended one of the most notable franchises of gaming, at least for the foreseeable future. EA is 100% laser focused on Battlefield as their military franchise now.

The bottom 3? Based only on quality? I think you may be exagerating a little bit.

antitrop

It could be EA pulling the strings telling them to make a certain type of game.

Danger Close might have even wanted to design a modern military open world shooter with significant RPG elements.

They look at Call of Duty and think that this is what consumers want. They even want blame consumers when Medal of Honor doesn't meet expectations.

I personally think this is a horrible businesses model. The Call of Duty audience has proven time and again that they don't buy into other games. Probably for the same reason they chose CoD in the first place, because its easy. Its difficult to choose a new game

I don't buy that. Plenty of developers are forced to work within the constraints of their publisher's guidelines, maybe EA might be a bit more forceful than others, but I don't know what went on in the internal dealings of the publisher/developer relationship in this instance.

All I know is that Danger Close's situation is not unique, but the lacking quality of their final product is. I light no candles for them.

The bottom 3? Based only on quality? I think you may be exagerating a little bit.

Hardly, I saw Warfighter top "Worst of 2012" lists several months back. I don't even think it's that bad. I mean, The War Z came out last year. It's just that Warfighter is so high profile. The budget it was given alone should have at least assured some level of quality that it even failed to meet.

But this doesn't make any sense, MOH is EXACTLY what EA wanted to believe the masses will buy. Generic military shooter/multi-player/linear triple threat guarantee - and yet, it doesn't but they will force Dead Space to go that particular route when a DESIGNED game from the GROUND UP failed to?

To my knowledge they were dissolved a while back with the team being put on other EA LA projects where possible and the others being laid off.

Someone who seems to know such things was implying this when I made a thread speculating if they were working on Bad Company as well.

But what about EA wanting to annualize Battlefield?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DerZuhälter;54124758 said:
But what about EA wanting to annualize Battlefield?

They've hinted they have a new plan about how to offer shooter content every year, but have not yet shared that plan.

antitrop

All I can say is that I'm sure there are/were many individually talented team members at DC and I hope they find good work on other projects where their abilities can suit them.

Danger Close as a whole entity is not worthy of any respect.

bluemax

Banned

According to a friend of mine they all got moved to Command and Conquer, Battlefield 4, or just laid off. Danger Close is basically gone.

I wouldn't be surprised since warfighter didn't meet expectations. Although I thought the buddy system and the ability to play as different special forces around the world seemed interesting.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the first MoH 'reimagining' It had some great setpieces and I loved it's down to earth vibe. Warfighter was a game that felt compromised badly by EA, it just seemed to go against what the devs wanted. It was like an EA executive saw the first level and went 'ok now this ship container in the first level needs to EXPLODE and you need to be running from it!!!!' No stealth or anything, fuck that, the kids will love it!!' After the shitfest that is Dead Space 3 I could bloody well believe it too and see it as quite likely.

They were also involved with Army Of Two The Devils Cartel and it doesn't surprise me. The guns/gunplay felt really good in that. Always enjoyed the combat in the MoH games even if a lot of the other parts were flawed (deeply flawed in the case of Warfighter)

Strike

Sucks, if true. Victim of bad management. I wonder if EA is just going to replace Medal of Honor with Respawn's new IP or if they're just going to have DICE alternate between Battlefield's mainline series and Bad Company from here on out.

Top Bottom