• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Disney’s CEO Deputies Wanted Company to Turn Into a Gaming Giant, Through Possibly Aquiring EA

Now they are going to take away the rights to create video games with Marvel IP from Sony and they are going to be the ones to create Marvels Spiderman 3 where Mary Jane will have gender reassignment surgery and will have a homosexual-polyamorous relationship with Miles and Pedro.

Neil Druckman is leaving Naughty Dog to found and lead Disney's new AAA studio that will double down on its efforts for inclusion and diversity in video games.

Fbh

Tired of terrible Disney Movies and TV Shows? Now try terrible Disney Games.

Try our New Thor Game.
400 million budget
Looks like this for some reason
650_1200.jpg

Also you only play as Thor in the intro, the rest of the game focuses on Valkyrie

NEbeast

So it begins, trillion dollar companies buying up whatever they can, because they can't naturally build up their own studios. Xbox bros, remember when you cheered on bethesda/abk, you fucked gaming.

MiguelItUp

this isn’t true.
Great reply. I was referring to praise and being well received, not the money they made. In almost every scenario Disney makes money, but the movies were not praised or well received. Which, is why they're going to keep making them, because they ARE making money. But people throw money at dumb things, so hey, lmao.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just want Capcom to make a sequel to Darkwing Duck NES.

MiguelItUp

No, it looks more like the light saber colours of the dark side and the jedi only.
Exactly, looking at that clip and trying to paint it as something like that is a gigantic stretch. Blue saber and red saber lighting reflecting off various character helmets. That's.... "woke"? Lol.

Honestly, it would be cool to see plenty of other studios dip their toes into their IPs. All those 16-bit era games were so good. Hell, even the 8-bit ones!

Last edited:

Deerock71

Tj

They have? I thought they were huge successes. I remember reading about The Little Mermaid making tons of money etc.
That's surface level, and even that didn't make as much as they would've liked (stack it against other live-action remakes). There's several other recent examples that may as well have gone straight to Disney+ (which is also hemorrhaging customers).

Definitely not enough room or money in the big end of town for more competition in gaming /S

Pixar, hell yes. Recent Disney/Star Wars/Marvel....not so much.

EDMIX

Not really that shocking, the fact that they favored EA for that contract for Star Wars shows they favor the publisher (but even I completely get why they would have them have the contract based on their teams, DICE, Bioware, ReSpawn etc)

So Disney seeking to enter gaming by buying such a publisher isn't really that wild of an idea, gain massive market share really quickly, stable of IP, teams etc.
“THis wOuLd be AWFul FOr THE gaMErs”

lol

I don't hate Ryan, but I don't care for his take.

1. More Star Wars titles released from EA, then cancelled and imho, if EA is cancelling a game, that is probably fucking BETTER then most realize, it means they are fucking aware something is wrong and deciding not to continue, only a greedy company would release broken, incomplete and then make you pay for the rest of the game (3 years later =) lolz

Second. Their licensing deal with EA was likely cheaper and better then for the license to non-exclusive, its likely EA gave them a massive deal for that whole 10 year thing and still ended up breaking several records under them, not really the worst deal Disney has done, by the numbers....this is fucking business, they move record units, thus we can see HOW they have come to choose said publisher for game XYZ

Continuing non-exclusive makes sense right now as they still have EA working on Star Wars games, EA got those deals for Battlefront, Star Wars Fallen Order etc so it made sense for all parties imho.

lol, shiiiiiiiit could happen.

Sorcerer

Not sure why Disney would want to go into development themselves when it must be more lucrative to just license what they have and take the easy money. The headaches and risks fall on the shoulders of publishers and developers.
Now if Disney can't get their house in order, then their properties won't be worth a damn to anyone.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Well…

This is why it’s getting harder and harder for me to tell who is being serious here and who’s joking, when things like this become serious.
Why shouldn't it be serious? Placing everything that Disney has done, wrong or otherwise with SW to one side, and go back to the release of the prequels, would that change for change's sake to a rainbow parade stylisation - in place of a classic iconic opening - be considered to match the tone and credibility of Lucas' SW?

Obviously, not a real question, because the answer to using such a misplaced stylization is rhetorical.

Even in the recent Ahsoka documentary Disney are trying to push the idea that Filoni was Lucas' apprentice, as though we are still getting Lucas, when the reality is that so much of what Disney produce is either steaming films as their trilogy was, or 50% great, 50% poorly thought out, much like Filoni and Favreau stuff, but this misstep with the rainbow intro is recurring in every single thing it is attached to, getting the tone wrong, so yeah, completely serious about quality Star Wars, down to the finest detail, like Lucas himself was.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Disney is cash rich enough to pursue another revenue stream like gaming, but I personally don't have much confidence they'd pull it off. They make bank by acquiring IP's and making content based on them and licensing them out. The idea of a competently run gaming division by this company leaves me a bit skeptical. I figure their output would resemble Amazon's in this space: a mixed bag that's always focused on the near term.

Last edited:
Even in the recent Ahsoka documentary Disney are trying to push the idea that Filoni was Lucas' apprentice, as though we are still getting Lucas, when the reality is that so much of what Disney produce is either steaming films as their trilogy was, or 50% great, 50% poorly thought out, much like Filoni and Favreau stuff, but this misstep with the rainbow intro is recurring in every single thing it is attached to, getting the tone wrong, so yeah, completely serious about quality Star Wars, down to the finest detail, like Lucas himself was.
Why didn’t you lead with this type of post in the first place? Instead your first impression came off as conspiracy-brained to a wild degree. Using more tangible facts always helps to prove a point better. I still don’t believe you about this logo business, but at least your argument comes across much stronger now to those who do.

I mean, you have to understand how your previous posts appeared to the average joe right?

Kerotan

No he's implying Sony could buy EA.
Buying EA is so stupid when most of their stuff is multiplatform. Apex will always be and so will all the sports licenses no matter who buys them.

If you're going to break the bank go for take two. Better gaming investment and now they include a mobile gaming giant.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wanna say that they deserve each other, really.

I don't think there's currently even a single EA property that I actually care about. Even when it comes to those Jedi games, especially with Stig gone, I wouldn't even throw them a rope if it was drowning.

They have also assassinated every single franchise or development studio from their portfolio that was worth caring about - Command & Conquer, Need For Speed, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Titanfall, Battlefield, Burnout... Every single one of those franchises is either dead or terrible now. Therefore, EA can go to hell and go under along with Disney for all I care.

Last edited:
Not surprising, MS opened the door for anyone to purchase any major publisher. People have been cheering this consolidation the last year or so, not realizing stuff like this will happen more and more.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Why didn’t you lead with this type of post in the first place? Instead your first impression came off as conspiracy-brained to a wild degree. Using more tangible facts always helps to prove a point better. I still don’t believe you about this logo business, but at least your argument comes across much stronger now to those who do.

I mean, you have to understand how your previous posts appeared to the average joe right?
There in lies a paradox., if you didn't already think this intro was out of context rainbow parade and a huge misstep, then how else could I determine that you were a similar type of SW fan that I should want to discuss the finer points of SW with?

Having to explain to someone, sort says to be me that like Filoni and Favreau and the rest of Disney they can't already see consistently what is misplaced Disney SW and what is mainline Lucas' SW quality, which I feel for SW fans shouldn't be so difficult.

There in lies a paradox., if you didn't already think this intro was out of context rainbow parade and a huge misstep, then how else could I determine that you were a similar type of SW fan that I should want to discuss the finer points of SW with?
Because the logo is a ridiculous means for anyone to use as a proper judgment call. Stating facts and using those as a base comes across better for you and those you're speaking to.
Having to explain to someone, sort of says to me that like Filoni and Favreau and the rest of Disney, they can't already see consistently what is misplaced Disney SW and what is mainline Lucas' SW quality, which I feel for SW fans shouldn't be so difficult.
Like this, there's much more that can be said about Filoni and Faveau's questionable quality of work than something as small and simple as a logo.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
That would of been worse than EA. Disney has gone woke beyond belief. The only time a white person is in their films or cartoons now is when they are the bad guy. Disney is black rocks bitch

Ecotic

The original Bloomberg article is paywalled so I can't read it. For anyone who can, does it say when this was considered? It must have been a few years ago during better times. I imagine it'd be pretty apparent to anyone at Disney today that a failed merger of this size could just about sink the company.

Top Bottom