• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Game industry investment, deals to increase in 2024. Consolidation will make gaming's giants even bigger

Nubulax

They just did a 10 billion dollar deal for Zee in India... What are you on about? You're obviously not familiar with Sony's strategy, but that doesn't mean they don't have one.

Sony is trying to expand globally in markets like India and increase the size of their reach. That's why you see Sony working with game studios in Korean and China.

Did you see them spending 10 billion on Zee or was that a surprise to you? Obviously, you didn't see it happening because you still were unaware that it was happening.

But you don't know about how Sony was able to afford Culver Max. They changed the name of Sony Pictures India to Culver Max which will be a merged entity between Sony Pictures India and Zee. Sony will own a little over 50% of Culver Max. Sony is throwing in cash into the new entity, but it appears to be an all-equity deal.
I didnt even know that was happening... first time I heard of 10 billion and zee. Hmmm...maybe Sonys strategy going forward is to go full in on the Eastern Market that is emerging. That would certainly cut MS off at the pass and assert dominance in the East before MS can even get a foothold. For PS specifically we already see how well they do from a worldwide perspective and how much more of a presence they have worldwide over Xbox. Would be an interesting strategy to try and gain those gamers in the East instead of focusing so hard on the West.

Last edited:
I didnt even know that was happening... first time I heard of 10 billion and zee. Hmmm...maybe Sonys strategy going forward is to go full in on the Eastern Market that is emerging. That would certainly cut MS off at the pass and assert dominance in the East before MS can even get a foothold. For PS specifically we already see how well they do from a worldwide perspective and how much more of a presence they have worldwide over Xbox. Would be an interesting strategy to try and gain those gamers in the East instead of focusing so hard on the West.

SIE are heavily leaning into Malaysia, China and India. They've also got some big things cooking in Korea.

Sony has done about everything it can in the West, at least as it pertains to console gaming. Of course, their revenue would increase if Microsoft dips out, but they have to look at emerging markets.

Mobile, PC, Eastern markets, Live Service.

You better believe that Sony thinks they can leverage their entertainment market in India into selling more games.

But people here only think surface-level stuff. I could totally see Sony making their own Cricket game in the near future as they push to increase their presence in India. But that's why T2 could be really important to Sony and the expansion of 2K sports to sports that aren't just popular in North America/Europe.

You look at MLB The Show, and Sony should actually be doing international marketing for this game and feature the WBC with each country having its own cover and local leagues. There is no reason why this can't be one of the biggest games in Japan for instance.

I think another reason to do a Spider-Verse game would be the inclusion of the Indian Spider-Man, which could have the potential to sell a lot of PS5s in India.

Last edited:
Top Bottom