• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ed12huk1.png

ed294u5s.png

Given the recent announcement of Shadow of the Eternals, an attempt at a spiritual successor from Silicon Knights Precursor Games, I figured it might be fun to get out ye ol' GameCube, or boot up Dolphin, and give the original a playthrough.
Maybe you'll go giddy as you're enveloped in nostalgia.
Or maybe you'll snap the disk in half as you feel the game has aged abysmally.
WHO KNOWS?

Things you might need:
  • Gamecube
  • Controller
  • Memory card
  • Copy of Eternal Darkness

Things that will be sufficient:
  • Computer that can handle GameCube emulation
  • Dolphin
  • Rip of Eternal Darkness, a game you legally own because you're not a fucking pirate

I'm going to take the latter path, and will be posting screenshots in this thread, showing off how beautiful/disgusting the game looks at 1920x1080.

Tips for Dolphin:
  • Turn off forced widescreen. Set the aspect ratio in-game to 16:9, and Dolphin to output at 16:9. Having the former on while also forcing widescreen in Dolphin over-stretches the aspect ratio.
  • Occasional audio crackle and desyncing are common problems. Turn on DSP LLE to mostly fix the latter.
  • Per-pixel lighting is handy for fixing some transparency issues.

Lets find out if I'm the only person going to do this.​

ed3zcahj.png

Man, I want this game back so much. I traded it in towards Pokemon Sapphire ;_;

Really liked the Lutheran guy and the younger dude chapters in that church

I'll give it a go, I've been sitting on my unplayed copy for 3 or so years now. Little worried the sanity effects will have lost their effect seeing as they've been mostly "spoiled" since the game's release.

One question though, is rumble essential to the game? I want to know if I can use my wavebird without missing anything.

Selkies!

I just bought this game last month. I rented it when I was in middle school but I barely remember anything about it. I think I'm in.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Oh shit I want to, but I don't have it anymore. I didn't complete the game when I had it because it scared the shit out of me (Was younger, doubt it'd be the same now). PC is made out of cardboard so no emulation :(

30 bucks used on Amazon. fuuuuuuuuck

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reliving my first playthrough, I will be rolling green.

To get into the Eternal Darkness spirit, I'll share an experience I had with the game when it first came out:

I was playing this with a friend during the daytime at my dad's business with other people nearby. I activated the [REDACTED] and it made me jump more violently than anything in my life prior. My friend pretty much dove backward, yelling "No!" I was shaking as I turned off the Gamecube. The scene and the [REDACTED] stayed with me the entire day. Every time I closed my eyes, I could see [REDACTED].

Later that night, I had a nightmare. To this day, I don't remember what the dream was about, but I woke up screaming. The sound woke my mother up and she left her room to check on me. She asked if I was OK and I told her about my nightmare.

Later that morning, I asked her what time I woke her up at, and she said it was 3:33.

Great idea! I think I might give this another playthrough as well. Never got the
True Ending!

Hope it looks good on my Wii with Component cables.

I had to buy a second copy last year as Pious knows where my first copy went.

Luckily I found a like-new copy at a resale shop for 12 bucks :D

I've always been curious about this game. I took a bit of a hiatus from gaming during the GameCube years so I missed it at the time. I have a everything required but the game, but my husband might literally kill me if I spend more money this month, haha. Someday, though. Someday...

I've always been curious about this game. I took a bit of a hiatus from gaming during the GameCube years so I missed it at the time. I have a everything required but the game, but my husband might literally kill me if I spend more money this month, haha. Someday, though. Someday...

Did you go on a spending spree in two days? It's only May 3rd! Sure you can find a copy cheaper than 30 if you look around online.

Do something fun, join the party here! You'll regret pushing this game so far back once you play it!

EatChildren

I inverted the colours in the picture because black looked better than the original white and I couldn't be fucked fixing the elements.

gurudyne

Flesh and bone. Bound together with the oddest magickal incantations. This wretched book is where it began so long ago.

Played this game too much, that intro is seared into my head, along with a most of the rest of the game.
My first playthrough was Ulyaoth, so I remember quite vividly what became of Friar Luther.

So tempted to join in, but I can't run the damn thing currently--no Wii, and my only Gamecube broke. I'm stuck playing vicariously through you guys.

neto

I'm in, its been a long time since I played it and only finished with the green one, time to do a different one

Mononoke

Banned
I remember buying this when it first came out. I read about it briefly in Nintendo Power, and just got it on a whim on release date.

Had to drive 40 min to a gamestop, as none of the places in my hometown had this.

bought this game at toys r us onsale, i think it was something ridiculous like $10. in hindsight i didn't realize how lucky i was to get this game new and experience it with no expectations

i love this game, easily one of my top gamecube games, behind RE4 of course

tsab

God I love SK, this and BO:TLOK was truly diamonds.
I wanted it to re-play it for years now.

Eatchildren, I have a intel quad core 9300, do you think is sufficient for the DSP LLE?

OryoN

Remember to check out each and every one of those autopsy reports. Those reports contain possibly the most intense and gripping voice-acting segments ever conveyed in a video game. Period! You literally feel Max's unbridled terror, upon each ghastly discovery he recorded.

It makes me so sad when gems like these only appeal/sell to a niche audience.

Persona7

Banned
I am actually in the middle of another playthrough right now. I am on the Ellia part right now.

I love the way it loads into a new game, where the character is just standing there facing the screen and the camera is slightly tilted. The atmosphere is great.

EatChildren

Chapter 1: The Chosen One

I've always liked the game's opening. It's pretty cheesy and a little bit rushed, but it gets to the point. And, as simple as it is, Pious Augustus' chapter provides good framework for the atmosphere to follow. Plus an undead Roman centurion makes for a cool antagonist.

I especially like the upfront symbolism of Augustus having to mangle a statue in his image in order to progress. His journey one doomed to self destruction.

Here's some shots from the cutscenes, black areas cropped out. I'll post some full res gameplay shots next.

ed1r3u0s.png

ed2a8und.png

ed3ttu7b.png

ed4xuuvi.png

ed5xxuw7.png

Eatchildren, I have a intel quad core 9300, do you think is sufficient for the DSP LLE?

Honestly no idea, sorry dude. You might want to ask on the Dolphin thread, where people are a bit more informed.

EatChildren

Aaand a few happy snaps. I might end up using thumbnails, as this thread will become huge.

ed1pyu0d.png

ed2w3ubg.png

ed320u2z.png

ramparter

Banned
My first GC game (along with Smash) and one of my favourites. I'd love to participate because I actually want to replay this, but my cube is on my parents' house and my Wii on my brother's.

Top Bottom