• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doki-Doki Universe Coming to PS4, PS3 and PS Vita

B.O.O.M

Didn't see a thread for this so lock if old

"In Doki-Doki Universe, you’re a robot named Model QT377665, or QT3 for short (QT – get it?). Your human family said to wait here on this asteroid, and they would be right back to get you.

That was 11,432 days ago. Bummer.

To make matters worse, an alien that looks like a green hot-dog, named Alien Jeff, finds you and gives you some bad news: It turns out your model is getting recalled and scrapped, because you apparently don’t have enough “humanity”… whatever that is.

Alien Jeff has been assigned the task of discovering just how much “humanity” you are capable of, and reporting back to the company. So as you travel around the Universe on a giant flying pig (or whale, or poo, or whatever you choose) and visit themed planets (cute, scary, gross, robot, ice, etc.) you’ll interact with hundreds of some of the most bizarre characters you’ve ever heard of, and Alien Jeff will be watching you the whole time."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/07/doki-doki-universe-coming-to-ps4-ps3-and-ps-vita/

More at the link

8715497990_5c06b5ce1f_n.jpg

8717985610_b591503874.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I like the premise but how does it play?
Interactions with NPC's via quizzes, puzzles, and Scribblenaut like items. They also plan on adding new planets via DLC in the future.
Jeff Marchiafava said:
In Doki-Doki Universe, you play the role of a robot whose model line is on the verge of being discontinued for its lack of humanity. In order to avoid this grim fate, you travel to a variety of unique planets and learn about their oddball inhabitants by speaking and interacting with them. How you interact with them is entirely up to you – you can help solve their problems, participate in games and competitions, or antagonize them to your heart's content. These interactions are handled via a growing library of items you find and collect, each of which has its own unique characteristics similar to Scribblenauts.

Along the way, an extraterrestrial named Alien Jeff evaluates your progress towards understanding humanity and provides feedback on your personality. When we commiserate with an undead character named Zombee who doesn't like being dead, Alien Jeff tells us how sensitive we are. Other planets offer humorous personality quizzes, which our extraterrestrial friend also weighs in on when you view the results. As you explore and answer questions, you'll earn more objects that you can customize your own homeworld with.

jJi0UUM.jpg
MAIAldl.jpg

Are you launching Doki-Doki Universe as a complete experience, or do you plan to continually update the game with new content?

Oh it's definitely a complete experience; several, in fact. There is the Personality Quiz aspect to it, which you can enjoy all by itself as you fly around in the Universe in the free version of the game. You can also visit your friends' home planets and see their personality reports. Then, there is Doki-Doki Mail on the various PlayStation platforms and on assorted mobile devices and tablets etc., which you also get for free. This is stand-alone for mobile users, but will also be integrated into the game. Then of course there is the Universe game itself, which has a ton of diverse simulation and interactive story content in it. We do plan to offer new content down the road, and expand the Universe. Hopefully Sony will want to make cute Doki-Doki merchandise available as well. Everyone in our office already has Doki-Doki mugs, T-shirts, and thermoses.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...exploring-humanity-in-doki-doki-universe.aspx

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the game where you make your kokoro go doki doki?

I hope it's Okie Dokie and not hokey pokey.

Wonder how successful these games can get off of Sony's brightened approach.

ReaperXL7

PS4/PS3/PSV indies are going to be great in the coming years.

You keep saying this, and it makes me wonder what your hiding......either way I love it as there is some awesome indie stuff out there. Im really hoping Sony can snag stuff like Hawken, Cube World, Chasm, Starbound Etc cause they all look great.

Im looking forward to finding out what you keep alluding to though, you think E3, or later?

Sophia

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the concept, at least. It's one of those games I'd need to see first hand.

At first I thought its a sequel to the NES Doki Doki Panic, then I remembered that it was made by Nintendo. Nevertheless interesting game.

It's a damn shame this has been overlooked amidst the influx of recent news and announcements; I just read the blog piece and the premise instantly grabbed me. Playing as a robot, visiting a variety of planets and helping inhabitants with their problems, all to have your 'humanity' analysed and avoid being scrapped - I love it. The art style is a breath of fresh air and the game looks like it has some point & click adventure influences as well... hnnng. And from the creator of ToeJam & Earl no less! I played the hell out of that on the Mega Drive and it was magic back in the day.

You've got a purchase in me fellas.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is there any mention anywhere of when this is planned to be released?
PS4 launch window would be my guess.

PS.blog said:
It’s tough to describe Doki-Doki, because it’s actually a set of related products that will be released at the same time. Players’ first exposure to Doki-Doki will be in the form of a free download for their PS Vita, PS3 or PS4.

Cyberia

+ JetSetFuture on May 7th, 2013 at 2:26 pm said:

The gaming world has been less funky since ToeJam & Earl disappeared. I really wish there were a new TJ&E game.

+ Greg Johnson on May 7th, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Believe me I haven’t forgotten or given up. I’m hopeful that I may be able to talk Sony into another TJ&E game, so if you really want one make some noise so Sony will hear you. Well, we gotta finish this game first and make it great. Other developers have approached me, BTW, and asked if they could make a new TJ&E game but I want to reserve that pleasure for myself. Sorry it’s taking so darned long.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...coming-to-ps4-ps3-and-ps-vita/#comment-852947

Let's do this.

Top Bottom