• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: Subsidised 720 scrapped, Illumiroom to be part of event

Glad to hear no subsidizing. I hate to see people get ripped off like that. Illumiroom sounds nifty, but I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it.

Septimus

This guy is usually pretty accurate, right?

If that's the case I see it as $399 bare minimum for the lowest end console.

Courage

This guy is usually pretty accurate, right?

If that's the case I see it as $399 bare minimum for the lowest end console.

We'll know tomorrow if he's accurate, but I hope he's right on this one. No subsidization probably means a more competitive price.

glaurung

I still contend that IllumiRoom is a poorly devised and probably impractical, plus hard to set up correctly.

I foresee as much life for it as the old GameAnywhere and SmartGlass.

If the subsidized Xbox was real - and I believe it was - I think scrapping it is a good idea. Contracts and monthly pricing for a console are places I'm glad the industry isn't settling into.

SparkTR

Unexpected, I thought a subsidized console would be the key to the mass market this time around. Now it's either expensive hardware or falling back into the red. Neither are desirable situations considering what's been happening in the industry.

U2NUMB

I am very curious as to how these two gaming giants will both go after people this fall. I plan on buying both but most people wont.. MS has the ability if they really want to drop the price to where Sony can not match but somehow I doubt they will.

Gonna be a fun year!

I always thought illumiroom was still pretty far off.

Seems odd that they would be showing an expensive projector add-on at a console reveal.

I don't trust Thurott on this one.

Illumiroom is bad ass.

It will not be there for launch I'm guessing though.

It will be something along the lines of what Sony talked about with Gaikai "this is what we want/plan to do"

That would be funny since people were convinced it would never ever be showed so soon, or even come to the Xbox. Well, try an Alan Wake demo with it MS.

DaBuddaDa

I could see the subsidized model scrapped for launch but get unveiled in a year or two after all the systems get the kinks worked out and they have more time to plan the path the console generation will take.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Are they really going to take up some of tomorrows event with some gimmicky expensive peripheral already? I mean christ. Unless the thing is built into Kinect 2 driving the price up even further, its going to be a hard sell to announce a new expensive console alongside another $200 peripheral that makes the edge of your living room bathed in green light while you ogle NEXT GEN GRASS SHADERS.

That rumoured subsidy didn't sound like enough of a rip-off to actually happen. So not too surprising, plus why would they subsidize something at launch when it's going to sell-out at any price point initially?

It would be surprising if the Illumiroom thing is actually significant.

tranciful

Does anybody really think Illumiroom will be impactful? Seems to gimmicky to me. Especially with Oculus Rift available.

The illumniroom thing looks like some quite cool tech, but I think from a gaming perspective has pretty limited appeal. Seeing the tech presentation...I don't think I want to feel like I am in an Ibiza club when playing games.

glaurung

I totally forgot about SmartGlass, did that go anywhere?
I think there were applications for Halo 4 and Forza Horizon (not sure).

I have no idea whether they manifested as iOS apps. And ain't there noone buying a Surface for stupid-ass stats and gimmicks.

The major problem with IllumiRoom is that it requires an additional device and that needs power. Setting it up in any non-MS ideal conditions living room would be a knightmare.

Top Bottom