• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese indie dev announces 'Witch The Showdown', a parry-action and deck-building roguelike game

Witch the Showdown is a combination of action and deck-building roguelike, where you accumulate mana by parrying enemy attacks. There is an influence from the "Eikan Nine" of the "PowerPro" series, and the system that progresses like Sugoroku seems likely. Also, according to one of their posts on X , there are also influences from ``One Step From Eden'' ( review ) and ``SIBLINGS.''

The setting of this work is a near-future world where fantasy and science are fused. The main character aims to become a champion in a martial arts tournament.

In the battle part, you parry attacks, accumulate mana, and select three posted cards to fight. If you successfully parry consecutively, the number of combos will increase, and the mana obtained when parrying will increase and the effects of some cards will be strengthened. According to this X post , there seem to be three colors (attributes) of cards, and when you use a card, the burst gauge of that color will fill up. It seems that activating the burst effect allows for a stronger attack.

gif_mr1k.960.gif

The game's progression is said to be Sugoroku-style, inspired by Eikan Nine. Along the way, events will occur with other tournament participants who are enemies, and you can purchase cards at the shop. Apparently there is also an element of acquiring artifacts that give passive effects. In deck-building roguelikes such as ``Slay the Spire,'' you have to choose a destination after the battle, but this part seems to be similar to ``Glory Nine''.

Witch the Showdown is currently in development for PC, but a specific release date has not yet been announced. There is no Steam store page yet. The creator, Kiryu Shichi on X , will be releasing progress information on this work every weekend, so be sure to follow along.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Looks interesting but I couldn't make out what was actually happening.

Pejo

Gold Member
For now, to me, it looks like one of those things that sounds cool in concept, but then when you watch/play it for more than 30 seconds, it looks like it would get old FAST.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but the right/left/right/left type gameplay leaves me going "eh".

Reminds me of Time and Eternity gameplay, (which isn't a good thing).

Top Bottom