• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
Other than the new Kingdom Rush those are ports though, albeit enhanced in the case of the Phoenix Wright games.

Strange to use those as examples of the platform's superiority over others, when something original and compelling like Warhammer Quest hit this week as well.

That's the kind of experience that would draw someone like me who has played KOTOR and most of the PW games on Xbox, PC and DS.
True, good point on WHQ. But remember a lot of people are like me, and haven't played them, so it's still a pretty big deal.

dream

Hmm, no, I don't think you're stupid ^^
Apart from the foggy mechanics that I can see making the game harder than it is... WHQ is not kidding sometimes. Level 1 was a hard time for me, you've got the always present risk of fucking ambushes, and boss are beastly.
That being said, I wouldn't say the difficulty curve is a mess, but things can change pretty drastically with some xp and loot. My team of lvl 2-3 these days treats white dungeons like its a nice ride to weaklings land and free xp. The difficulty difference is not surprising though, having a character go from 1 attack/turn to 2 attacks/turn means the world.

Still I have every confidence that the game is about to send some super tough mob my way sooner rather than later.

And the amazing thing is, I don't get frustrated after wiping on the very first quest for the 10th time. I just shrug and try again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Other than the new Kingdom Rush those are ports though, albeit enhanced in the case of the Phoenix Wright games.

Strange to use those as examples of the platform's superiority over others, when something original and compelling like Warhammer Quest hit this week as well.

That's the kind of experience that would draw someone like me who has played KOTOR and most of the PW games on Xbox, PC and DS.

And just wait until Agricola comes out next week. :D

PittaGAF

I feel the final build of Warhammer Quest has a greatly diminished difficulty level.
Monsters are way less, and you find super loot earlier (Blu and yellow items on level 2??? really???).
I asked they ramped up difficulty during the beta :(((
I still can't get enough of the game and noticed something that really surprised me.
My Grey Mage just acquired a skill I never saw!!!
It's turning in a healer class now...in my previous playthrough he was a damn nasty battle Mage.
My Ironbreaker trips with his Axe a lot tough.

deim0s

Three level 3 and a level 2 character makes mincemeat of those gobbos. Never broke a sweat on the first two towns 'red' quests.

Anno

My Ironbreaker just wrecks shit. Fighting a boss and 6 snotlings ambush us. Ironbreaker enrages for +4 attacks, deathblows them all down in 2 attacks then cleaves down another Orc. He ended then dungeon with more XP than the rest of the party combined. Need to get him a better axe though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
In case you guys missed the thread, Terraria is combing to mobile phones and tablets. Which I think we can safely assume, means iOS.

I've been in need of a good survivalcraft type game for my phone. Junk Jack seems okay, but I've had a hard time getting immersed in it. I've only played the free version of Minecraft Mobile, but it didn't sell me on the full version. Terraria is by far my favorite entry to the genre, but I'm not sure how well the controls will translate to a touch screen. Buying ASAP either way.

ToxicAdam

Terraria's combat is actually pretty challenging (later on) even with proper controls. I can't imagine them porting it without nerfing the game to some degree to compensate for virtual controls.

Not that I will buy it, I spent 40-50 hours playing the PC version and that was enough.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For what it's worth, read through everything in the journal in WHQ. They explain the dice mechanics well enough where you can at least make some judgements. I do wish it was quicker to pull up, like tap an enemy and see the related WS/BS, but knowing how it works and where it is is nice.

Also, inventory really needs to change. Rotating my device is stupid.

For the record...Encounters in any dungeon are determined via dice roll. I think it was 2D6 and you compare the first and second rolls to pick the encounter. I think 6,6 is to re-roll on the next level table (so if the party is level 1, you would roll on the level 2 table). You can, in theory, get some mega hard level 6+ monsters in a level 1 dungeon in the board game. I hope they kept that in this...Because those are the most hilarious party wipes.

We once rolled some Black Orc Barbian with like 6 attacks, weird rules that allowed him to move and attack, crazy armor and wounds...and we were in the first dungeon. He was level 3 or 4? It was awesome. We killed him, but used some one-time items and got really lucky. That is one thing WHQ on iPad doesn't do - give that party/group excitement.

@Pitta - Did they put the super hard mega monsters in this game that you're aware of? Like, back of the rule book multiple hundred wound type killers?

Contra Evolution available worldwide:

http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/31/c...run-n-gun-shooter-is-now-available-worldwide/

mzl.lgxqtits.jpg

Something that might be a point of concern is the addition of a dual-currency and IAP system into Contra: Evolution. So far it appears to be just the "speed things up" variety, and all the different weapons look like they can just be bought through playing the game, leveling up, and earning the currency. Time will tell how this shakes out.

sheaaaa

And just wait until Agricola comes out next week. :D

Just had a quick Google and while I'm not into board games, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

It's games like that and Warhammer Quest that keep me checking this thread for experiences I can only get on the platform.

SteveWD40

In case you guys missed the thread, Terraria is combing to mobile phones and tablets. Which I think we can safely assume, means iOS.

I've been in need of a good survivalcraft type game for my phone. Junk Jack seems okay, but I've had a hard time getting immersed in it. I've only played the free version of Minecraft Mobile, but it didn't sell me on the full version. Terraria is by far my favorite entry to the genre, but I'm not sure how well the controls will translate to a touch screen. Buying ASAP either way.

Junk Jack X is coming in summer, adds a ton of stuff including mp, different biome worlds you can build portals to, new crafting, all sorts of goodness.

Thinking back to kotor... the actual combat and skill system makes zero fucking sense if you have no D&D background lol.

I just putted skill points into ones that sounded cool :X

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
In a 7 day period iOS is getting Phoenix Wright 1, 2 and 3, KOTOR and the next Kingdom Rush.

It is seriously a shame so many on this board still shit on this platform, IMO it is far and away the best going right now.

Oh and btw, all three of those games cost $35. Combined.

Last week there was a thread about your most played platform and I put the iPad (then PC, PS3, 3DS and on, I own them all bar Vita),
I said that I thought it was kinda weird that a gaming board made of game enthusiasts like GAF appeared to be so close minded: well the gist of the replies I've got was "we're not open minded cause we don't enjoy SHIT like you do?" -_-

PittaGAF

@Pitta - Did they put the super hard mega monsters in this game that you're aware of? Like, back of the rule book multiple hundred wound type killers?

Well....(in the beta)

The most I remember are 180 or so wounds monsters in the black dungeons, with TONS of ambushes.
But there are same places where there isn't lack of nasty magic casters :)

For the real Warhammer experience, very similar to the boardgame, IMHO you should play the hardcore mode (on a new save slot, of course).

hawkinson

Neo Member
I just got in to the iOS scene with a refurbed 4, and I'm pretty excited to start picking up some of these apps. I'd almost consider XCOM worth the price of entry on its own. But then flipping through all these threads I've got tons of good stuff already on my iPad for free. Going to have to wait a bit to feel god about buying apps, but I can see how iPad becomes a number one place to spend time.

Looking to buy some itunes gift cards.

Is there someplace online that will email them to you that has them consistently less than retail at all denominations?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For WHQ I decided I'm going to RTFM first then play. Experience seems a lot better for those who have some background to the game. Is this the correct manual? http://users.telenet.be/WHQ_TheHouse/Docs/WHQ - Rule Book v0.01.pdf

That looks like the scan I have on my external. So I'd say yup!

E: Not sure if this is OK, but I have scans of EVERYTHING from the original game if anyone might be interested?

E2: Futur characters might include (according to my expansion scans): Witch Doctor, War Dancer, Pit Fighter...To name a few. ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well....(in the beta)

The most I remember are 180 or so wounds monsters in the black dungeons, with TONS of ambushes.
But there are same places where there isn't lack of nasty magic casters :)

For the real Warhammer experience, very similar to the boardgame, IMHO you should play the hardcore mode (on a new save slot, of course).

Yeah, Hardcore is legit. And we had to deal with multiple Great Unclean Ones and such, so it wasn't AS many wounds as I thought, but it was that many total. ;)

Man, WHQ is amazing.

PS - the game didn't explain it well I don't think, but you can heal a downed ally with bandages or healing spells. If you do before end of turn, they aren't killed. It is a 50/50 chance that an item will work, though (1d6: 1,2,3 fail, 4,5,6 success). So if you can cast a spell, that is the best route.

Vince51

Neo Member
With all this conversation about Warhammer, I think it should have it's own thread. The thread has been nothing but Warhammer discussion the past few pages. Not that it's a bad thing by any means but I think that's enough to go in it's own thread for discussion

I second this, can we have all Warhammer discussion in its own thread?

It's better to have all the Warhammer information in its own thread rather on a thread that's about to lose all traffic.

Li Kao

I second this, can we have all Warhammer discussion in its own thread?

It's better to have all the Warhammer information in its own thread rather on a thread that's about to lose all traffic.

Yeah but isn't it too late for that ? I mean I don't want to undersell whq appeal but let's say we create an ot now, how many posts would it gather ? My logic is proven shit time after time these days though, the game keeps on givings for many. And when all is said and done, all I can think of tonight is continuing my game.

Well it also gives me the furious desire to buy some gw boardgame and play it. Just have to win over the ocd and paint it all in grey and... play it. I understand that it's in gw best interest, but I fear my painting passion is a thing of the past and I don't particularly miss it.
Just sad gw doesn't feel the need to re-release their more boardgamey games...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just got in to the iOS scene with a refurbed 4, and I'm pretty excited to start picking up some of these apps. I'd almost consider XCOM worth the price of entry on its own. But then flipping through all these threads I've got tons of good stuff already on my iPad for free. Going to have to wait a bit to feel god about buying apps, but I can see how iPad becomes a number one place to spend time.

you should feel good about paying devs for their time and effort and playing excellent games.

krYlon

PS - the game didn't explain it well I don't think, but you can heal a downed ally with bandages or healing spells. If you do before end of turn, they aren't killed. It is a 50/50 chance that an item will work, though (1d6: 1,2,3 fail, 4,5,6 success). So if you can cast a spell, that is the best route.

WHAT????!!!!!!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Warhammer Quest yet? This game is fantastic. What an great translation of a classic board game. I immediately bought all the dlc because I knew this was going to be special and boy was I right.

Games Workshop needs to transition it's past big box board games over in this manner. I know Space Hulk is on the way, but could you imagine a Necromunda, Dread Fleet, or Mordheim?!? Hell, give me Battlefleet Gothic or Epic for that matter!

Vince51

Neo Member
Yeah but isn't it too late for that ? I mean I don't want to undersell whq appeal but let's say we create an ot now, how many posts would it gather ? My logic is proven shit time after time these days though, the game keeps on givings for many. And when all is said and done, all I can think of tonight is continuing my game.

Well it also gives me the furious desire to buy some gw boardgame and play it. Just have to win over the ocd and paint it all in grey and... play it. I understand that it's in gw best interest, but I fear my painting passion is a thing of the past and I don't particularly miss it.
Just sad gw doesn't feel the need to re-release their more boardgamey games...

I'd rather not see the same questions asked over and over again. Maybe we can have something like a Gamefaqs sticky, which contains the most frequently asked questions by users, helpful gaming tips etc.

Can somebody confirm if this is how it works in the game?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Warhammer Quest yet? This game is fantastic. What an great translation of a classic board game. I immediately bought all the dlc because I knew this was going to be special and boy was I right.

Games Workshop needs to transition it's past big box board games over in this manner. I know Space Hulk is on the way, but could you imagine a Necromunda, Dread Fleet, or Mordheim?!? Hell, give me Battlefleet Gothic or Epic for that matter!
lmao

krYlon

Straight from the physical rulebook. I'm not sure how it plays out in this version, but I'm guessing its similar. Really aggravating that it's not clearly explained in this.

It doesnt say anything of the sort in the journal. Next time I play, i'll test it out... if someone goes down. It's a good a thing I wasn't playing hardcore, I would have really been pissed off.

Vince51

Neo Member

LOL!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I really want Blood Bowl though I would appreciate a good tutorial. Just sayin'. The Cyanide one was beyond atrocious.

PFD

Last week there was a thread about your most played platform and I put the iPad (then PC, PS3, 3DS and on, I own them all bar Vita),
I said that I thought it was kinda weird that a gaming board made of game enthusiasts like GAF appeared to be so close minded: well the gist of the replies I've got was "we're not open minded cause we don't enjoy SHIT like you do?" -_-

Yeah, don't bother discussing iOS gaming outside this thread. The forum has an extremely negative view of touchscreen gaming.

hawkinson

Neo Member

NeoGAF seems to be rather spiteful across the board towards their hobby. Game Journos, companies, developers, publishers. So much hate, no matter what is brought up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom