• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Edit - fuck, Nicoga nailed it : "calculated risks", exactly. At the moment (and again I didn't read the full journal and I'm not hatin' on the game), I don't feel like new players have enough clear explanations to manage those calculated risks. Rodeo clearly wanted to make the game more approachable to players inexperienced with the boardgame, that's not a bad thing. Problem is that they maybe have hidden a little too much. WHQ is no hardcore rogue-like but nor it is your basic hack' slash.

And this is my main problem with the game. They may update it later, they may not. Or they may just expect those of us who care about this information to dig for it every time. But until I feel really comfortable with things like that, I refuse to play Hardcore (which is the fun way to play WHQ).

PittaGAF

As a rule of thumb, whenever in anything Warhammer related you read 'chance', 'try' or anything regarding luck, consider it a D6 for statistical pourposes.
Its roots are from a time where the D6 was almost the only dice...it was later D&D that added different dices as far as know (and just recently computers added percentages).
The boardgame had charts (just progressive numbers aligned) to easily find the outcome, but even in the manual they explained it with words.

PERSONALLY I prefer this system than more complicated ones and I love that things are explained with words instead of charts, but I loved playing dice less and I love no-stats RPGs.
But I'm biased because this is the reason (besides the setting) why I love so much Warhammer in general.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's Hunters with a Warhammer skin. I'm cool with that.

That turning the device sideways to access the inventory thing? Whoever thought of that is an asshole and I hate him. That needs patching immediately. Now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's Hunters with a Warhammer skin. I'm cool with that.

That turning the device sideways to access the inventory thing? Whoever thought of that is an asshole and I hate him. That needs patching immediately. Now.

Yeah I agree with that. I play these games mostly hands-free apart from when I'm touching the screen, having to pick it up and move it aroud is a bit of a pain in the bum. And I'm always looking for the 'exit menu' button until I remember.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One day every board-game app will learn not to bone the tutorial. If they want people to "jump right in" they should offer a short and long tutorial.

Li Kao

One day every board-game app will learn not to bone the tutorial. If they want people to "jump right in" they should offer a short and long tutorial.

The thing is, to be fair, that creating the perfect tutorial is maybe the hardest part of this type of project. Yeah, making the transition from card board to video game is a difficult task to nail, but think about it : teaching someone to play, to know what he is doing. Not cool.
If I worked for a dev and the boss charged me of creating this phase my immediate answer would be 'so you don't like me ?' or 'I swear I don't know why your wife takes all these tennis lessons !'
Maybe the perfect tutorial would be comprised of the ones we know plus a number of game sessions limited in functionnalities. But let's face it, nobody would like that either. So there is the evident solution consisting of tuto + trial and error, but then again trial and error in the context of a boardgame and its length is not particularly funny either.
Not speaking of whq here, more on a general tone. Eh, I still have night terrors consisting of Nightfall tutorials living under my bed.

On a more related whq note, and what if... Let's get this straight first, I entertained the thought while cooking tonight and I know full well that it is not really solid and a little paranoid but... Knowing that's not Rodeo first video boardgame, knowing that for years GW was against the exploitation of their ips in video form, that appart from some really old games (hmm, a space marine on what, atari ?, a warhammer in shitty 3d, granted there are the recent blood bowls) no adaptations strike me as willing to tend to the 1:1 thing... and what if this not perfectly pure whq experience was just a GW will ?
Again, not really a sound supposition, but I could see GW not mad with happiness at the prospect of competing with its own products in a way or another.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The tutorial is hilariously broke too. When you find the archer, if you don't attack like it tells you to, I guess you die? I dunno, because it brings up a weird quote about death, some other screen pops up and suddenly you're into the first mission with an extra character you know nothing about.

Maybe I wanted to retreat my wizard before attacking, did you ever think about that, huh tutorial????

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Let's all be friends and share an "amaro" sometime!
I hate your avatar

These days I happen to be more often than not in Italy, I'd be down for an Italian-GAF meet-up with TTP, Panajev, Tomodachi, MDK7 and the others
I just noticed that Pitta-GAF totally ignored my post above, lol
! That'd be pretty cool. Btw, let's be Game Center/PSN friends shall we?

I'll let you know that my avatar is AWESOME, kiddo

:p

Dash Kappei

I am ashamed of myself. I fell into temptation and bought KoTOR. I will be sad tonight while blasting away Rancors!

Looking forward to your impressions. Which iDevice are you rocking? I'm a bit weary of the controls and performance on the Mini.

Edit: hey cool, Jedeye has bought it too, let us know what you think buddy, I know I can trust ya

PittaGAF

These days I happen to be more often than not in Italy, I'd be down for an Italian-GAF meet-up with TTP, Panajev, Tomodachi, MDK7 and the others
I just noticed that Pitta-GAF totally ignored my post above, lol
! That'd be pretty cool. Btw, let's be Game Center/PSN friends shall we?

I'll let you know that my avatar is AWESOME, kiddo

:p

LOL, I didn't!!!

I guess you are the same Dash in it.comp.console?

:)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Looking forward to your impressions. Which iDevice are you rocking? I'm a bit weary of the controls and performance on the Mini.

Edit: hey cool, Jedeye has bought it too, let us know what you think buddy, I know I can trust ya

Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Just played the intro sequence to get a feel for things. Generally really quite impressive stuff. It runs very smoothly and looks fairly comparable to the PC version I played many moons ago. Controls are just fine - you can't look up or down, so swiping sideways will rotate the camera, while sliding up will move you forward. It's certainly a bit clunky, and tbh I'd probably prefer a v-stick but it works perfectly fine, and it's certainly not a game where dexterity means very much (other than the stats lol). Combat is very simple - the game auto pauses and you just tap an emery, tapping special skills when you need them, very simple.

So yeah, it's pretty damn good so far, I can't wait to sink many more hours into this! Best iOS week that I can remember!

Edit: I disagree with the IGN comments about your hand covering the screen while moving, I just used my thumb over on the right hand side and it worked just fine. Maybe on the mini? But that's why I don't have a mini, it's too small :p seems like a weird crit, and I've played other games that are much more egregious about it.

deim0s

So 2hrs in WHQ and enjoying it so far... Can't you tell? Already shelled out for the priest and arch age and the Skaven pack. Trollkiller? Nah, hate dwarfs.

They need to fix the tutorial... I didn't notice any box/call outs or instructions in the first dungeon (Bug? Also got the elf, tapped to move or what, got the game over screen), but managed to go thru it smoothly since I know a bit of WFB concepts and solid 40k's TT rules. So all is fine.

Things they'd need to address:
- turn your iDevice to access the inventory. Really, WTF?!
- unlocking journal entries/game concepts as you play. Show every rule out, add the notice icons if they're new.
- Asynchronous MP! When?
- Speed/FF mode on your turn would be nice to have.
- Edit: show the end of turn button if I've exhausted all the moves I can do. Don't hide it with a tap.

Seriously. This needs MP. Did Hunters games have them? Might pick em up too.

Edit: downloading the board game manual now - should help a lot.

About Ace Attorney HD, anyone know who did the HD port? Was it Capcom or out sourced?

Honestly, kind of disappointed in the revamped art. I was expecting much better. The linework seems very thin and the photoshop coloring seems very airbrushy. Was expecting more solid coloring like the cover art with thicker ink lines.

Still a awesome game underneath of course. Just expected better.

Li Kao

Hmm, pretty cool. Now the question is, will Level 5 continue in their quest to be the most chaotic localization-wise ? These days when a L5 project is announced I have not the slightest idea of its translation. Even for Squeenix I still sometimes have hope, L5 ? No idea.

Btw there is a new Uno. That brings me back to the begginings of xboxlive and some great times with the game, but this is also a Gameloft title with IAP. I'm pretty terrified.
Anybody tried it and cans elaborate on the IAP ? At first glance its just for decorations, but I would still appreciate some feedback.

colinp

Banned
This thread is moving as fast as the olden days, hah. Figures KOTOR is $10, will have to hold off on it for a bit but that's probably for the best. Too much on my plate already! remember playing it nonstop when it first came out. I finished it in a few days, hah, played it from morning to night, doing every quest and side quest. What a great game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No room in the OP for more cool games. I'll save KOTOR for June. Will add PW and WHQ impressions tomorrow and start prep on June's thread.

Dash, hit me up on imessage if anything's changed re: you know what, otherwise i'll go as usual somewhere around 12:00 GMT - 16:00 GMT on Saturday for the thread.

Incidentally, 75% of the WHQ complaints are ridiculous, and the product of gamers being soooooo trained to have their hand's held. The in game journal explains 90% of the things that the inflammatory review claims goes entirely unexplained.

Beyond that, the rules, albeit invisible/behind the curtain are literally pulled from the legendary table-top game. It, so far, feels like an amazing adaptation... made doubly impressive as GW has REFUSED to re-print the game for a decade-plus. If you wanted to play this one, and trust me... i've almost pulled the trigger... it is $400 an up for a physical, complete, copy.

I'll agree dice-rolls should be up-front, and maybe highlight the presence of the journal and its information more. Those are valid and legitimate complaints. I'll also throw it, changing orientation to open your bag feels like a gimmick, and as a disabled gamer, it just throws a barrier up which has no need to be there.

krYlon

Played some more of Warhammer Quest and really starting to like it now. Maybe my expectations were too high going in.

It does have that boardgame feel, and although I would like to see a hit success percentage before attacking, I dont mind everything else being hidden.

What I like about it the most is the gamebook style story segments. The randomness of story events and the risk of being robbed, fooled, trapped or attacked keeps things interesting and adds to the boardgame feel. Its also surprisingly well written.

In general the atmosphere and aesthetics are top notch too. A lot of effort and love has gone into this.

heringer

Aww man, fuck KOTOR. With Donkey Kong Country Returns, Frozen Synapse, M&M Clash of Heroes, Warhammer and Phoenix Wright, I already have too many on my plate.

Thankfully it's not KOTOR 2, otherwise I wouldn't be able to resist.

I guess iOS healthy days might be coming back? For a while I thought premium games were about to die.

dyergram

Yeah I agree with that. I play these games mostly hands-free apart from when I'm touching the screen, having to pick it up and move it aroud is a bit of a pain in the bum. And I'm always looking for the 'exit menu' button until I remember.
Yep it's annoying as hell game seems cool framerate is a bit iffy though.

heringer

Found a game breaking bug in Warhammer. The game always crash at the same place (iPad 2). Already closed every app, etc.

Good luck to people playing it. Warhammer out, KOTOR in.

Dash Kappei

Only on a 2 myself. I know the 3 is a weird beast, so no idea how it would perform there. Seems very smooth on the 2 however.

Cool, that means it's fine on the Mini as well

Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Just played the intro sequence to get a feel for things. Generally really quite impressive stuff. It runs very smoothly and looks fairly comparable to the PC version I played many moons ago. Controls are just fine - you can't look up or down, so swiping sideways will rotate the camera, while sliding up will move you forward. It's certainly a bit clunky, and tbh I'd probably prefer a v-stick but it works perfectly fine, and it's certainly not a game where dexterity means very much (other than the stats lol). Combat is very simple - the game auto pauses and you just tap an emery, tapping special skills when you need them, very simple.

So yeah, it's pretty damn good so far, I can't wait to sink many more hours into this! Best iOS week that I can remember!

Edit: I disagree with the IGN comments about your hand covering the screen while moving, I just used my thumb over on the right hand side and it worked just fine. Maybe on the mini? But that's why I don't have a mini, it's too small :p seems like a weird crit, and I've played other games that are much more egregious about it.

Well goddamn, that sounds smashing! Thanks a lot for the impressions, KOTOR goes straight to my buy list, it's weird but I know I'm more likely to play such game on-the-go/bed/throne than I am on my tv with kb/m and I barely touched the XBOX port back in the day. Not right now cause I'm swamped by my backlog, but soon. Would be neat if they'd update it with a virtual stick, maybe if enough people bug 'em about it... Anybody knows their Twitter handle?

LOL, I didn't!!!

I guess you are the same Dash in it.comp.console?

:)

LOL no worry mate! Indeed I am... I mean unless someone else has been using my handle, since it must be something like 5 years since my last trip to ICC's shores ;)

No room in the OP for more cool games. I'll save KOTOR for June. Will add PW and WHQ impressions tomorrow and start prep on June's thread.

Dash, hit me up on imessage if anything's changed re: you know what, otherwise i'll go as usual somewhere around 12:00 GMT - 16:00 GMT on Saturday for the thread.

As usual, 16GMT would be better for me. I'll try to have you-know-what hit at the same time, would be rad me thinks ;)

Btw, is there a WHQ |OT| yet? How the hell do I call my inventory to look for healing items? Also, is there any exploration related loot (dunno, moving to a tile to search on a dead body or finding a treasure opening background stuff) or everything I can get comes from defeating enemies?

deim0s

What I like about it the most is the gamebook style story segments. The randomness of story events and the risk of being robbed, fooled, trapped or attacked keeps things interesting and adds to the boardgame feel. Its also surprisingly well written.

Loved the fact that i scrounged up some gold to level up my characters to be powerful for the next quest, then BAM! The cruel Warhammer world screwed my Barbarian and Elf with an event that took out 6 wounds! Effectively made them like wimps.

Also damn the priest, cant hit shit with the massive hammer he's carrying.

Flunkie

Banned
Yea, NSS is addictive as hell. I don't even like soccer. The only shame with it is once you are 'done' you really are done with it.

Not true. I just started playing it gain last week and got hooked with my old character again. I had no idea you could buy your own horse to go to the horse races with.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played a bit of Liberation Maiden and it's pretty fun. Gameplay so far isn't anything to write home about but it works nicely and clicks with me in that ZOE-style "omg I'm flying around in this mecha and stylishly shooting all these things so many colors explosions this is so cool". You press your finger on enemies to lock on then release to shoot.

Production values are through the roof in this, which is very appealing. High quality opening by studio Bones, good graphics, surprisingly good dub. It was originally released on the 3DS eShop or something. I never heard about it before today but since Suda designed and it's on sale ($1.99, down from $4.99), I insta-bought.

Jedeye warning: VERY ANIME. As in, lots of anime visuals and tropes, including a song with vocals during the first boss. It makes you feel awesome if you're into this sort of thing but ymmv.

mzl.sysqhebn.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.zmnxmoeo.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.nfwcybtx.320x480-75.jpg

Clunker

Warhammer Quest is kind of amazing. It plays well enough on my iPhone 4s but, just like Hunters 2 before it, it really, really wants to breathe free on an iPad. Too bad WHQ doesn't run on iPad 1. :( I'd love to get a Mini but I just don't have the scratch right now.

Anyway, WHQ is really enjoyable, and surprisingly challenging -- I haven't played too far, but I'm glad I didn't go with Hardcore mode. The random surprise attacks/enemy spawns are terrifying for my Lv 1 crew, and I'm barely scraping by.

So as I understand it: "Winds of Magic" are MP, but the actual number of MP points regenerated for magic users is randomized? Are there any stats or upgrades to help magic users get more of it?

EDIT: Playing this, however, just makes me want XCOM even more. Though I am assuming that will not run on iPhone. :(

Li Kao

So as I understand it: "Winds of Magic" are MP, but the actual number of MP points regenerated for magic users is randomized? Are there any stats or upgrades to help magic users get more of it?

At lvl 2 you will have a new option that will had more breathing room. And there seem to be objects with stats boost that help that upgrade.
But at first glance mp amounts are still very chaotic (yes Pitta, pun intended ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom