• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
i7NqbvBkjydBR.png

iktu5oe63cRJG.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community will host a new thread for the chronicling of new game releases, rumours, discussion and petty personal attacks that have come to define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain a selection of iOS games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month so far -- games which have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way we get to keep tabs on the best games and you (yes you), the mythical unicorn known as the iOS Novice will have an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF members battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by generous members of our community).

Without further ado, let’s do this!​

iw4w74CfYywXs.png

Please post feedback on the games listed in the thread or highlight games you'd like to see listed.​

Trailer

It is four thousand years before the Galactic Empire and hundreds of Jedi Knights have fallen in battle against the ruthless Sith. You are the last hope of the Jedi Order. Can you master the awesome power of the Force on your quest to save the Republic? Or will you fall to the lure of the dark side? Hero or villain, savior or conqueror... you alone will determine the destiny of the entire galaxy!

•An epic Star Wars RPG experience with unique characters, creatures, vehicles and planets.
•Learn to use the Force with over 40 different powers, plus build your own lightsaber.
•Adventure through iconic Star Wars locations, including Tatooine and the Wookiee homeworld Kashyyyk.
•Choose your party from nine customizable characters, including Twi'leks, droids and Wookiees.
•A streamlined user interface custom-made for the iPad’s touch screen helps immerse you in the action.

GAF Says:

KOTOR is an absolutely fantastic port! I played it all evening. Game holds up so well too. I'd forgotten how long it takes to get off Taris. I honestly think it's a must own for iPad owners. 10 bucks is a steal. Now I want more Xbox games to come to the iOS.

Also I love that they didn't use an analog stick on the screen. The movement works much better without it. Buy this game

Trailer

Based on the classic tabletop game, Warhammer Quest is an addictive mix of role-playing and strategy. Level up your party of heroes. Loot weapons, armour and mysterious artefacts from fallen enemies. Crush Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and more ferocious enemies!

•3 additional Heroes available via IAP
•Fight the Skaven in a huge expansion via IAP
•25+ hours of gameplay (including expansion)

GAF Says:

I must say, WHQ plays very well. That being said, the rules are really not explained at all. Had I never played the actual game, I would have no idea that Winds of Magic represents your MP for that turn (for example). I do have to say that showing a chance to hit would be nice. The physical game ha all the stats in such a fashion where you can figure them quick (need a 3+ or 4+ to hit), it isn't made clear here.

I love the game so far, but they needed to streamline a few of the things that do not translate well to an app.

Also, I'm excited to see that the Warrior Priest is here...I am a bit sad that he's DLC. Billy the Warrior Priest will live on, though!
Played Warhammer Quest for a couple of hours and, although a well made game, it is extremely repetitive. Corridor-room with enemies-repeat. Sometimes random stuff happens that affects your stats (described solely in the t) and sometimes more enemies appear. Apart from that and some battles have limited amount if turns it is the same thing over and over, dungeons so far have small color variations but the rooms and corridors are mostly the same size (might change later in the game but I doubt it).

I'd give it 5/10 (5 being extremely average). Surely worth the cost if you like the genre but nothing special, I miss the more open environments of the Hunters games.
OP edit: cropped quote, see the original post for the full impression
I am enjoying it so far as well. A lot more than Hunters 1 or 2, which I couldn't get in to at all really. (---) Aside from the rotating for inventory, I don't have too much to complain about yet.

I really enjoy that they put descriptions on every item in the game, nice little touch, and the journal is very comprehensive too, all the enemies and locations are added to it as you play. You can bring up stats for anything by holding down on it, so it's easy to get some grasp for what's happening. (---)

All the traits like Deathblow (the dwarf just plows through everything standing next to it one after the next upon each kill, gaining a free attack again and again) and others are nice. I don't know if the Wizard seems a little unbalanced because you can cast spells and still move around, while the other classes are stuck when they attack. I can see how it can get repetitive, one room after the next after the next, but that's really not unusual for strategy games. As long as there's variance in the layouts and weapons/powers you have (which there does seem to be), it's not really much different than playing a card game like MtG again and again and again with the same deck.

Trailer

*Play the first 2 episodes of "PW: Ace Attorney" free. The Trilogy HD includes "PW: Ace Attorney", PW: Ace Attorney - Justice For All", and "PW: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations". Each of these three games can be purchased separately or all together in one bundle. Note: You cannot purchase individual episodes separately.

Join lawyer Phoenix Wright in his quest to defend the innocent and find the truth behind 14 exciting cases. Prepare for your epic courtroom showdowns by investigating crime scenes, collecting evidence, and questioning witnesses. Use evidence and the testimonies of witnesses to your advantage as you battle for the life of your client. Nothing less of a full acquittal will do in this court of law! Find the contradictions in witnesses' testimony to expose the truth!

GAF Says:

Phoenix Wright HD thoughts OP edit: cropped quote, see the original post for the full impression

Thoughts after playing both the first and second case twice, once on iPhone 5, once on iPad mini.

(...)The game doesn't fill the screen of the iPhone 5 or iPad (...). This doesn't bother me, and is a key reason why I got black iOS devices, so the borders would be less apparent for non native apps.

The game looks better the smaller the device you play it on. It looks pretty great on iPhone. While the character sprites look kinda goofy, the backgrounds for investigations look really great (court room... eh). On iPad, the 'this looks like intern work with Photoshop' flaws are a lot more apparent, but that can kinda be addressed if you play the game in portrait mode aka 'DS mode'. This also addresses the issue that this game is really hard to enjoy on the larger iPad screen because 90% of the time you are reading a text window while watching the sprites move... which is tiring if your face is near the iPad at all. Being able to read the text and see the sprite without moving your eyeballs up and down is ideal... which would require most people to have the iPad far away.

So yeah, on iPhone, play landscape (portrait is a teenie bit too small, but do-able. No real benefit though). On iPad, play portrait mode.

Other than that... besides framerate being a bit choppy which is more of an irritation than a big gamechanger (this isn't some twitch action game), this port is fine, and still totally worth it at the price.

As someone that has replayed the series multiple times on DS, it's quite refreshing going through it again with a 'different' look.

Also, while there is no iCloud support, they fortunately allow you to play pretty much any Day of any case at any time from the main menu, and you can skip through dialogue by holding the -> button which pretty much addresses the big gameplay issues people had with this series in the past.

Trailer

Join Camp Eagle Feathers’ newest ‘Brave’, Jacob Jones, on an amazing adventure to uncover just what is going on at Camp Eagle Feather. From talking foxes and celebrity obsessed barmaids to dimwitted hunters and death-metal fan room-mates, this is one summer vacation Jacob will never forget.

•A beautiful, interactive 3D world for Jacob to explore.
•Challenging, brain teasing interactive puzzles created by some of the worlds leading puzzle designers.
•An original story written by the BAFTA nominated George Poles.

GAF Says:

I haven't seen a lot of people talk up [the game], but I picked it up and just played about 40 minutes of it, and I absolutely adore it. It's a Professor Layton/Puzzle Agent style game, right down to a substitute for Piccarats and Hint Coins and everything, but it's got a really great cartoony, Pixar-ish art style. The writing is pretty snappy, too, and it's fully voiced.
It's got four more episodes blacked out on the main menu, and I don't know how long Ep 1 will last, but at 99 cents [sale price] it's kind of a no-brained if you like these kinds of logic puzzle games.

Trailer

Frozen Synapse is a multi-award-winning tactical game, previously on PC/Mac. It brings the simultaneous turn-based strategy genre bang up-to-date and lets you give detailed, accurate orders to your squad: classic gameplay with a modern interface.
Plan your moves, test them out, then hit the "Prime" button: both you and your enemy's turns are executed simultaneously.

Competitive-but-intuitive multiplayer (cross-play with PC/Mac) and a huge single player campaign mean that Frozen Synapse will give you hours and hours of tactical delight.

GAF Says:

One of the better PC indie titles of the last few years, essentially the planning phase from early Rainbow Six games crafted into a multiplayer async wargame.
iPad port is really good, only issues are no retina it seems and the UI is a little messy, but I have been running it on the mini and it's a dream as far as I am concerned.
It isnt that hardcore or difficult. Pretty simple. You plan and execute your moves. Your opponent does the same. Then both sets of moves execute at the same time and you view the results. Then you repeat. Not intimidating at all. The biggest stress comes from trying to predict your opponents next moves while knowing he is doing the same for you. It becomes a serious mind game.
Don't let the cluttered UI intimidate you in Frozen Synapse. They had to do it like that to improve the gameplay experience for the touch screen. The way it was originally done on PC involved too many clicks.
The game really isn't all that hard to get into, but there's definitely lots of depth to it since you can control every minute little detail in combat. There's a ton of variables to adjust. But you don't have to fine-tune all your moves at first. Just start with the basics, and gradually add more complexity to your tactics.

Trailer

The skies over Europe are a dangerous place, where ace pilots lead their squadrons to glorious victory or crushing defeat! Take control of dozens of the most famous fighter planes of WWI and head into the dogfight. Roll, slip, and loop to get the drop on enemy aces.

•Advance from Aviator to Ace in over 120 missions using 30 authentic aircraft
•Earn promotions, equipment upgrades and advanced maneuvers like rolls, loops and slips
•Unlock new Aces with special skill sets to expand your gameplay options
•Single Player campaign & Multiplayer missions with leaderboards

GAF Says:

Non-intrusive IAPs
•Campaigns aka. 'unlocks', $0.99 to unlock the British campaign, $1.99 for each of the American, French, or German campaigns. Or all three (non-British) campaigns for $3.99.
•There are 8 aces (2 for each nation) at $0.99 each, or the All-Aces Pack for $4.99. Each ace gives you a (presumably) historical skin you can apply to your craft (purely cosmetic) and adds a new possible perk to the pool of available perks (you already get 10 or so perks from the regular game, without ever buying any aces). A pilot only ever gets to choose one perk; your squadron leader gets it at the start and your other pilots get one if they reach 7 kills. These extra perks are completely unnecessary to beat the game.
•IAP 'medkit' (non-consumable). Pilots can get temporarily knocked out of action (damage, injury, or capture), but you can pay $0.99 to bring them back into action immediately instead of waiting.
Full dynamic campaign, RPG pilot progression, plane upgrades... this is basically Red Baron 3D meets XCOM.
I just finished the first five missions of the British campaign and it seems to be really great. My tactic of hiding (camping?) in the clouds seems to be working well against the Germans so far. The engine/weapon upgrades for good mission performance are a nice inclusion. Little things like the visible season changes at the airfield as campaigns wear on, aircraft by the runway upgrading to the latest planes as time progresses etc are all nice touches.

For more, check the Ace Patrol OT!

Trailer 1 and Trailer 2

Leviathan: Warships is a strategic action game where players can build and customize their own fleet of warships to play with or against their friends.
Play together in the co-op campaign missions against the growing Marauder threat or fight through special Challenge Missions with your friends.

Cross-platform play between iOS, PC and Mac, together with the games built-in cloud saving functionality, allows you to continue your sessions from any computer or tablet.​

Trailer

Star Command brings to life the challenges and joys of managing a starship. Upgrade your ship, get out into the unknown and watch your crew die grizzly deaths all at your command. Strange and exotic alien civilizations await you at every turn. Manage each of your ships roles, focusing on science skills, tactical combat and ship engineering. Prevent alien invaders from taking over your ship and causing massive amounts of damage with sentry guns. Revive dying crew members with new rooms! And don’t forget that your decisions matter - an enemy made early could come back to haunt you later.

•Level your crew members up and earn new skills
•Four distinct ship hulls to choose from
•Focus on tactical, science or engineering
•Amazing soundtrack intensifies the action and exploration
•Over 10 alien species to discover

GAF Says:

It's good but I don't think it'll live up to some expectations. I've found the combat to be frantic and fun and I'm enjoying the pseudo-Star Trek writing. I can see the potential in it, so hopefully they don't abandon it anytime soon.
Star Command is pretty good all things considered, I knew since quite a long time ago it wasn't going to be the sprawling sandbox game initially envisioned. As it is I think it's a fun, light-hearted ship/crew management game which works really well in short bursts. A pause function would be handy (which it seems they're working on) for better managing the battles though. Visually it's fantastic however.

I also thank the developers for not going the IAP route and I remain hopeful that the game sells well enough for them to support it with updates and additional features.

Another part of the game that is brilliant is it's soundtrack, done by a chap named Marius Masalar. The 27-track score is for sale on his site for $8.
http://music.mathazzar.com/album/star-command
Very early impressions is that the graphics look nice. It is a little FTL like, but this is much more about micro managing & getting crew to make "tokens" for skills and stuff so far.

The tutorial isn't brilliant. It seems like you have to give a "token" to recruit a staff member (science/engineering/tactical) but they don't inherit anything from that, all their stats are still 0 and they start as a white shirt until you assign them, so it seems like just an arbitrary "staff costs 1 token" rather than you giving them a point start in a discipline or anything.

Trailer

From legendary designer Steve Jackson, Sorcery! is an interactive adventure like never before through a land of monsters and magic.
The app uses inklewriter technology to tell your journey in real-time, shaping the story around your choices. The text itself changes based on how you play and what you do, and in combat, the action is description on the fly based on how you play.

•Plot your own journey across a hand-drawn 3D world map
•The story is rewritten on the fly based on how you play
•Unique touch-based sword-duelling, with procedurally-generated descriptions of the action
•48 magic spells to master, with weird and wonderful effects that change the story

"The Shamutanti Hills" is Pt 1 of 4. Pt 2, "Kharé: Cityport of Traps", is coming soon! - Each part will be a separate app but saves will carry across each!

GAF Says:

Steve Jackson's Sorcery is REALLY well done. I'm absolutely enamored with it - it might be my favorite example of interactive fiction to date. Don't sleep on it Thursday. Maybe it falls apart as it progresses but man... so far so good.
Wow, the Sorcery app is incredibly impressive. They've really made an effort to make it more than just a digital replica of a gamebook. I love the map, the combat seems pretty cool so far, even the spell casting is really stylish.
And I'm so glad they've kept the original illustrations by John Blanche. One thing I don't like about the Tinman releases is that the new images are no match for the old Fighting Fantasy illustrations.

So, it seems like they've got everything right, so far.

Good to know that the second part, Khare: Cityport of traps is on the way soon. Was my favourite gamebook as a kid, cant wait to see it if it holds up.
(...), Sorcery is fucking awesome, great aesthetic.

iu3ilc7eCHvLp.png

iCade Arcade Cabinet | $65.99, iPad
iy1IwOasIyWyx.png

Retro-styled tabletop arcade cabinet for your iPad, controls via Bluetooth.

Here are a few video reviews of iCade supported titles (thanks Alextended!)

iCade hardware

Blazing Star
Shogun: Rise of the Renegade
Gridrunner
ElectroMaster
Enborn-X
Midway Arcade
Vectrex Regeneration
Temple Run

iBZBSxdKLjBlS.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iTxYv3xbjtKRd.png

Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###​

ibwaPStgeGQ1Q7.png

Q - Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
A - Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

Q - I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
A - Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2. You're welcome.

Q- For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini, or iPad 4?
A- Both have their pro's and con's. Mini is cheaper, and arguably a better grip for gaming, but the screen isn't as great and the device is less powerful than the 4. Most games these days all run fine on it, but I'm not sure about in a year.

Q- I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
A - This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

Q - How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
A - Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and copy it to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folder and all the contents. This contains your save files and settings for the game (a bunch of .lua files).
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and choose to copy from PC/Mac
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents folder on your PC/Mac, open it and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder and all the contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

Q - How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
A - Since iOS 4.3 your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Open the Game Center app.
  • Go to the Me tab and tap the yellow ribbon that has your email written on it.
  • Chose View Account and you'll be prompted for your password.
  • Scroll down to the Edit Account Info section and tap on the Apple ID profile.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).​

ibqWs3Y7QVwZBe.png

Thanks to Fuu & Dash Kappei for handling the community list's past/present duties, Dash Kappei for running the iOS Challenges and finally past OT hosts for having done a wonderful job thus far for our community!​

iU7feHlQM0L6z.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ib6eD5aTbZSRp.png

Challenge's Timeframe

Starts tbd
Ends: tbd

Current GMT / World Time

TWITTER: @GAF_iOS_scores
We will use Twitter to regularly post news about the challenges, screenshots of the submitted highscores, updates about the current highscore holder, reveals of the prizes put up for the challenge etc.
Follow us!

This Month's GAF iOS Challenge dedicated thread

tbd

Chosen Game

tbd

Specific conditions/game modes

- GAME MODE: TBD

Rules
  • To participate you just need the game and to add Dash Kappei on Game Center: (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in to Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
    Add "From GAF" and your nickname on GAF in your request or Dash Kappei won't add you to friends.
  • Challenge organizer can participate but is not eligible for any prizes.
  • Screenshots of the TOP 20* scores (TBD) will be posted in this specific post and in the specific GAF's iOS Challenge threads that exist for the duration of the challenge, so DON'T add me on Game Center or at least don't compete in the weekly challenge if you don't want your real name to be shown.
    You can easily avoid your real name to appear if you follow the few simple steps on the FAQ Section of this thread's OP (first post above) "How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?".
  • GAFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
  • Check the GAF GC members list handled by Dash Kappei if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play the iOS GAF Challenge. If you want to be on the list send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM following this exact text formatting:
    GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
    When you add someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the Leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge.
  • You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted that I can accept your GC friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's an hour to go.
  • Posting your new scores in the monthly iOS thread is encouraged as well as piosting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.
  • If you submit some ridiculousy good highscore you might be asked for proof: take an in-game screen (repeat: in-game and NOT of Game Center's own leaderboards) and post it in the challenge's thread when you die/loose and the game shows the score (grab a screenshot pushing the HOME + Power buttons at the same time). Failing to provide proof might even invalidate your score.
  • If you get caught cheating (messing with Game Center or similar scummy tactics) you can probably kiss your NeoGAF's account goodbye forever.

Current Challenge's Highscore Results

tbd

Prizes

*If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, or if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw something neat the way of our challenges, simply CONTACT ME via PM.
Just check out some of the past GAF Challenges below to get an idea on how it works out.

• HALL OF FAME •

custom_1238730989106_Life-street.jpg

Our former challenges

Tiny Wings ( March 8th to March 15th, 2013) - All scores, 85 participants- Winner: AngryMoth
Canabalt (Ended on p357 of |OT2|, w/o thread) - All Scores, 63 participants - Winner: Dynamite Ringo Matsuri
Mr. Ninja (August 1st to August 7th, 2011) - All Scores, 74 participants - Winner: Koodo
Flick Kick Football (August 16th to August 23rd, 2011) - All Scores, 109 participants - Winner: Numble
Hard Lines (September 1st to September 8th, 2011) - All Scores, 98 participants - Winner: -Pyromaniac-
Bit.Trip.Beat Blitz (September 29th to October 6th, 2011) - All Scores, 33 participants - Winner: Numble

• Canabalt / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 63 participants

Congratulations, Dynamite Ringo Matsuri aka Zazen_Incidents!

ibrS8TAsOXWgsG.png

• MR. Ninja / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 74 participants

Congratulations, Kodoo!

ijhFdh6M3fxaO.png

• Flick Kick Football / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 109 participants

Congratulations, numble!

ilCWvviI5nu2p.png

• Hard Lines / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 98 participants

Congratulations, -Pyromaniac-!

iLD9h4jArecmq.png

• Bit Trip Blitz / Final Results -All scores 33 participants (1 retired)

Congratulations, numble!

ibenBBeYVunYaq.png

• Tiny Wings / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 85 participants

Congratulations, AngryMoth!

iJdOkZqa8ha8h.png

Thanks to:
Tunesmith for the new sweet banners, TOP 10s and helping out with GAF's iOS List and the GAF Challenges; to teamaxe for his past work. Thanks to all the devs and publishers who have supported us in the past (PikPok, Beril, Simogo, Skybound... shoot me a pm if I've forgot to mention you, sorry about that!) and also of course to the GAF community as a whole but specifically to some members who have contributed to the prizes' pool (like Pray For Death, Wario 64, myself... again, contact me by pm if I've forgot to mention you -shame on me!-)

Dash Kappei

Hey guys where's ghost recon

I know you're jk but at this point when it comes out it'll be a freemium rigged with iap bullshit to the brim, the game was delayed to redesign it around IAPs, so I'm gonna buy it on 3ds this very week for €9 new

Dash Kappei

Grab a mod and get 'em to mop away my filth. It was just too exciting.

Yeah don't worry :)

Anyway:

HOLY SHIT REPULZE UNZ UNZ

Must be glorious to play on a device where it performs at 60fps or at least a steady frame rate. Sadly, such device's not a Mini. But it's very, very good, just get rid of some of the reflections bells and whistles and lock that fucking framerate. But what a steal at 99c, more than that it feels so good to have a portable futuristic racer a la Wipeout again

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Help!

Anomaly Warzone, Anonomaly Warzone Korea OR Swords & Soldiers?

Also, is that new Eclipse game worth it?

If you're a complete newcomer to the game, board or otherwise, it can be a little daunting to get into at first (was/is for me) but there seems to be a seriously good game there to be had. I really like their online implementation as well with an open lobby-chat system before entering into games.

Runs a little bit sluggish on an iPad 3 mind you and from what I can tell it's not entirely retina-display enabled, at least not for text elements which appear a little sub-ressed.

Roi

I've been playing Higway Rider a lot last weeks, a simple but addictive 'high score'-game. My record now is 308 :)!

Meantime

I don't know...and again I can't be that specific, sorry.
I think you won't have to wait too long tough.
One thing I can say.
The music is absolutely fantastic.

No problem :) I'm sure the music is great, but I only play iOS stuff while listening to podcasts or my own music. Anything that mutes background audio when it launches is no use to me. I really wish developers would stop doing that.

A suspensful yes, exact details are still TBA.

I call for a RUA2 top score challenge.

In for Star Command, can't wait.

I've actually got really low expectations for it now because I think it'll be a little simplistic and cut down. Ironically though, given Eclipse and Frozen Synapse, it'll probably end up being the game I play by far the most! Knowing what the heck I'm doing will be a welcome novelty during May by the looks.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I call for a RUA2 top score challenge.

Hmmm I think the inclusion of boosts makes the game ineligible for the monthly challenge (even before touching the controversial "retry").

If people decide that isn't a problem, I'm sure we could come up with a cool prize to support such a competition with. Signed concept art for the game or something along those lines.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmmm I think the inclusion of boosts makes the game ineligible for the monthly challenge (even before touching the controversial "retry").

If people decide that isn't a problem, I'm sure we could come up with a cool prize to support such a competition with. Signed concept art for the game or something along those lines.

While the retries I don't think would be a problem - they give an upper edge purely in less time spent getting scores. The boosts however give you a huge leg up, and with potentially unlimited funds to spend on them, it makes the game a no-go for any "official" GAF challenge like we've had in the past.

In addition to that, I've personally come to realise that the game is flawed mechanically at present.

- The game plateaus at a certain point and it becomes an endurance game rather than a challenge.

- The game is not random by any means, there's a few sets of very specific patterns of land/combination of obstacles/laser giants that repeat endlessly. I've pretty much memorized the game by now and could go on forever if not for the sake of having no desire of doing so. Each of my runs is me deliberately killing myself to end wishes.

Outside of that, I still keep playing just for my own amusement and to grind out the last few achievements. But other than that there's no incentive to keep playing, I've unlocked/can purchase anything I want and I don't get anything for completing in-game challenges as the ranking system is capped at 22.

Also, for sake of visibility I've spent a grand total of $0.

Got a couple achievements in Rayman but my wifi wasn't working at the moment. Now they aren't showing up. Am I boned?

Most likely yes. This happens in many games.

Seriously how is this stuff still happening? Why is there not a sync button or something? Apple really must not give a shit at all about game center. Its really frustrating as I have a bunch of glitched achievements. And most of them were got on Wi-Fi so I know its not JUST not being on wi-fi that causes it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seriously how is this stuff still happening? Why is there not a sync button or something? Apple really must not give a shit at all about game center. Its really frustrating as I have a bunch of glitched achievements. And most of them were got on Wi-Fi so I know its not JUST not being on wi-fi that causes it.

As a developer you have the option of having your app push/sync changes to Game Center at next connection or at next achievement grant. These can either be manually implemented via a sync button (some apps do this) or be automatic/scheduled in the background (some do this too!).

In short, it's up to developers, not Apple.

m0t0k1

I know you're jk but at this point when it comes out it'll be a freemium rigged with iap bullshit to the brim, the game was delayed to redesign it around IAPs, so I'm gonna buy it on 3ds this very week for €9 new

Bought Shadow Wars during a sale for €2,50 at my local Saturn probably not going to find it cheaper on ios. I am going on a trip this weekend and looking for some endless runners or tower defense games anybody got any advice on those? for ios 4.2.1 or lower since i only bringing my ipod 2g and not my ipad.

As a developer you have the option of having your app push/sync changes to Game Center at next connection or at next achievement grant. These can either be manually implemented via a sync button (some apps do this) or be automatic/scheduled in the background (some do this too!).

In short, it's up to developers, not Apple.

Interesting...thanks for the insight! I really which there was a standard though, as the last 3 achievements I have left for PvZ are glitched and no matter what I do I cant get them to sync, my Scribblenauts achievements says that I have earned something like 42/43 achievements even though there are only 42 total, and my "the sandbox" achievements quite literally don't work at all. Its so frustrating to have it so broken. It makes me not want to try for some of the harder ones since its always iffy if they will sync or not.

Just wish it worked smoother..

FerranMG

Everybody should get it, it's an amazing game.

Is it?
I couldn't get past the second? stage, in which you have to drive a capsule to somewhere without touching the borders.
Frustrating is to say too little.
Never played again after 10 or 15 retries.

Megasoum

Banned
Is it?
I couldn't get past the second? stage, in which you have to drive a capsule to somewhere without touching the borders.
Frustrating is to say too little.
Never played again after 10 or 15 retries.

lol well maybe it's not for you if you can't even go through the tutorial but me, personnaly, I love it. It's kinda of a mobile version of Kerbal Space Program (with less realistic physics).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom