• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Looooving WHQ so far. While I think the demand for handholding is mostly overdone, I do have 2 questions. Are level gains set or random? And are misses just your roll + strength + weapon not being enough to overcome an enemy's toughness?

deim0s

So as I understand it: "Winds of Magic" are MP, but the actual number of MP points regenerated for magic users is randomized? Are there any stats or upgrades to help magic users get more of it?

Yes. Winds of Magic is randomized - Chaos/Warp powers are fluctuating or see how the (dice) gods favors upon your wizard.

By second level - your wizard will have an upgrade to store some 'extra' magic points.

PittaGAF

So as I understand it: "Winds of Magic" are MP, but the actual number of MP points regenerated for magic users is randomized? Are there any stats or upgrades to help magic users get more of it?
(

Yes you got it right.
In doubt, check the journal. The Wind of power thing is explained in the first exploring tab (3 or 4 section) if memory serves me well, along with the Power phase (the start of every turn, when you have the chance to be ambushed and when your magic power for the turn is determined).
(Chance=D6).

Yes leveling up you will have access to more magic power and a permanent reserve of it, along with new spells (plus there are many useful items about this).
The most powerful one being Okkam Razors if you are lucky enough to get it early.

PittaGAF

At lvl 2 you will have a new option that will had more breathing room. And there seem to be objects with stats boost that help that upgrade.
But at first glance mp amounts are still very chaotic (yes Pitta, pun intended ;-)

:p

Ah! Young players!!! :p :p :p

I think the other Mage is trickier, with the alrernating double type of magical energy (offensive OR defensive).

Heel

Despite the mixed reviews, I have purchased Warhammer solely due to Pitta's continued infectious exuberance. Consider putting this on your application for a video game community manager gig, Pitta...lol.

PittaGAF

Looooving WHQ so far. While I think the demand for handholding is mostly overdone, I do have 2 questions. Are level gains set or random? And are misses just your roll + strength + weapon not being enough to overcome an enemy's toughness?

Level gains are random (if they are not fixed for a certain level).
For example I had different playthroughs with both the Marauder and the Ironbreaker having completely different skills at level 2-3....
This changes the approach everytime.

Generally you are correct but in the D6 world a 1 is always a miss and a 6 is always a hit.
This doesn't mean you can actually damage your opponent (he can stll have enough thoughness or evasion or shield block or special items).
If you aren't too underpowered tough (red dungeons), in my experience, BUT the black dungeon, you won't be ever in the situation you can't touch the enemies...but yes some are very hard to hit.
Some armoured enemies buffed up by shamans several times are damn hard.

chris121580

KOTOR is an absolutely fantastic port! I played it all evening. Game holds up so well too. I'd forgotten how long it takes to get off Taris. I honestly think it's a must own for iPad owners. 10 bucks is a steal. Now I want more Xbox games to come to the iOS.

Also I love that they didn't use an analog stick on the screen. The movement works much better without it. Buy this game

ElyrionX

Kingdom Rush is ny favourite TD game but Frontiers doesn't look great. Same number of towers and upgrades but just different upgrades? You can't even choose the towers from the first game?

PittaGAF

Despite the mixed reviews, I have purchased Warhammer solely due to Pitta's continued infectious exuberance. Consider putting this on your application for a video game community manager gig, Pitta...lol.

Eh thanks for trust, I really hope you will like it as I do.

I'll tell you a secret.

When I love so much something I can't help to talk about it sometimes.
But as everyone is different, I feel like shit when I hear someone doesn't like something I talked about...and this can mute me forever in shame or have me try to 'help' him finding something he could still love (talking even more).
I really hate in general giving people a bad advice (obviously not on pourpose but still...) so I always have poster remorse :p

As a matter of fact, you aren'twrong about the community manager thing (I worked for Interplay, when they ruled the RPG space, many many years ago).

THAT SAID, I'm honest here: I'm much more surprised to see people loving the 'change orientation for inventory' thing (not only here) than the haters.
I think (as I did) people will see it much less of a problem after some hours and it will even grew on many...but seeing early love as I'm seeing (even in other communities or even reviews) really surprised me f(I spent the very first hours hating it too).

Heel

I'll tell you a secret.

When I love so much something I can't help to talk about it sometimes.

Trust me, this is no secret :)

And take that as a compliment. You shouldn't feel bad for showing genuine excitement for video games. It's a breath of fresh air when compared to the cranky old jaded gamers many of us have become, me included...lol.

I think (as I did) people will see it much less of a problem after some hours and it will even grew on many...

Nah it sucks ;)

And take that as a compliment. You shouldn't feel bad for showing genuine excitement for video games. It's a breath of fresh air when compared to the cranky old jaded gamers many of us have become, me included...lol.

Very much so, doesn't really matter why, seeing people loving a game or being excited about it is always great.

SteveWD40

XGeDNbf.gif

bender

What time is it?
I'm about seven hours into Warhammer Quest. I've never played the board game and have little more than a passing understanding of the universe. Some quick thoughts:

On the Technical Side:

-It crashes often after completing a dungeon, right after the experience screen finishes totaling experience gains.
-If you move a character to a position to open an area with enemies and manage to move a secondary character, the game bugs out and prevents further actions by your party.
(Luckily both of those issues are somewhat negated as the game saves a lot so you typically only need to repeat the last few actions before clearing the dungeon. This can put the screws to you when it comes to random loot).

You got some 'splainin' to do:

-Things could explained better but I didn't find it difficult to understand any of the underlying systems. Maybe playing D&D all those years finally paid off!
-I do wish there was a way to determine which armor/weapons cards belong to which class which you don't own is a bit of a buzz kill.
-I don't need to see dice rolls but I understand why some would. I just think it would slow down what is already a slow experience.

Speaking of slow:

-I wish you could set a formation and way point to speed up progress in cleared portion of dungeons, especially when you need to backtrack. Free movement probably wouldn't work because of the random encounter but you could calculate turns/encounters with the former idea. The dungeons are really small so this isn't a huge issue.
-I wish there was a game speed option or let me toggle the fast-forward button instead of pressing and holding.

It's probably in the rules:

-Experience seems to be based on killing blows. I really dislike experience systems like this. This game loves my Marauder (I love him too). Most of the loot I've found has been for him. He also, depending on enemy formation, gets four attacks per turn (two-hander x3, bow x1). His gear is better and gets more attacks per turn which leads to him to killing the majority of baddies in each dungeon. He's 1.5-2.0 levels higher than anyone else in the party. I have no idea if this is a bad thing. I'm probably playing the game wrong.

It's probably just me:

-My marauder just hit level six and I've done four of the story quests. The game is offering little resistance. Did I over level? I probably over leveled. I didn't understand that the side dungeons were infinite up front and my OCD kicked in. Then I figured out that the side dungeons randomized loot cards that are visible before you visit. I just can't say no to loot. Did I mention that loot upgrades are displayed on your character models? I love that! No seriously, am I grinding too much? Is this the type of game I should be clearing in a few hours instead of trying to build up my characters? I guess there is always hardcore mode.

Sorry for the lack of brevity and for sounding so negative. I'm enjoying Warhammer Quest but I'm not sure I can recommend it, probably because I don't totally understand it. The loot definitely has me hooked. How is the DLC beyond the pricing?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Played a bit of Liberation Maiden and it's pretty fun. Gameplay so far isn't anything to write home about but it works nicely and clicks with me in that ZOE-style "omg I'm flying around in this mecha and stylishly shooting all these things so many colors explosions this is so cool". You press your finger on enemies to lock on then release to shoot.

Production values are through the roof in this, which is very appealing. High quality opening by studio Bones, good graphics, surprisingly good dub. It was originally released on the 3DS eShop or something. I never heard about it before today but since Suda designed and it's on sale ($1.99, down from $4.99), I insta-bought.

Jedeye warning: VERY ANIME. As in, lots of anime visuals and tropes, including a song with vocals during the first boss. It makes you feel awesome if you're into this sort of thing but ymmv.

Actually that looks super cool, I'll give it a go. One of my favourite games of all time is Sin and Punishment and I have watched a shit-ton of anime in my time so I am rather schizophrenic in my appreciation of Japanese culture :p It's just unskippable 5 minute cutscenes where you're tapping through dialogue that does my head in. Shooty shooty is all good though :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Kingdom Rush is ny favourite TD game but Frontiers doesn't look great. Same number of towers and upgrades but just different upgrades? You can't even choose the towers from the first game?

I don't know, you're basing that off the videos? They all looked pretty neat, I like the mech tower a lot too. The game never really suffered from a lack of towers in the original - there's what, 5 towers, with 4 levels of upgrades and the final upgrade branching in effect making 10 towers? Then each of those 10 towers has 3 unique abilities to upgrade, bringing it to 30 unique upgradable things? So an equal amount of completely new ones seems like a great way to keep people interested. The hero mechanic has been changed a bit this time around, a bit more RPG-ish mixing temporary levels gained in the map for kills like the original with permanent stat increases outside of the maps.

So basically everything in it is new, should be the best way to enjoy it all over again, if they recycled a lot of content directly from the original there'd be a lot less learning what everything does, which seems less interesting.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Cut the OP into two posts and snuck KOTOR in there too. Has anyone played the port yet and can give some brief impressions (have about 1800 characters to play with) to stick alongside it?

I'll carry over the late May games to June's thread as usual.

Rekwest

Cut the OP into two posts and snuck KOTOR in there too. Has anyone played the port yet and can give some brief impressions (have about 1800 characters to play with) to stick alongside it?

I'll carry over the late May games to June's thread as usual.

KOTOR is an absolutely fantastic port! I played it all evening. Game holds up so well too. I'd forgotten how long it takes to get off Taris. I honestly think it's a must own for iPad owners. 10 bucks is a steal. Now I want more Xbox games to come to the iOS.

Also I love that they didn't use an analog stick on the screen. The movement works much better without it. Buy this game

Just want to say I'm insanely pumped about KR: Frontiers!!! Thursday can't come soon enough.

Even if it's just more of the same (I agree it doesn't look all new, from the trailer), I'll play hell out of it. I think I've played through the original about a dozen times now...

I have a question about Warhammer Quest. I obtained a "lightning fire ring" and equipped it on a character. It appears in my inventory list during battle which makes me think its a consumable item? Is this the case?

I also have a "grey college hat" for my wizard which also appears to be a consumable item?

How can such things be consumable? Does this imply wearing these items confers no benefits. The ring says 5-30 fire damage whereas the hat says +3 Max Wounds and Power Store 4-6.

I'm confused as other RPGs I have experience of tend to treat clothes/jewellery and wearable non-consumable items.

Additionally, I'm only a few quests in but are they all "go to the end of the dungeon" and that's it? I was hoping for doors to unlock, items to find and use in other parts of the dungeons, chests to loot. I suppose I was expecting a turn-based Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance style game.

PittaGAF

I realized one if my main issues with WHQ - I was playing on my iPhone at first. iPad or bust for this one!

Yeah it's glorious on iPad.
On iPhone it's really tiny....I can see myself playing there just white dungeons.

Do you happen to have an iPad 4?
I just noticed (FINALLY after being really busy I was able to play the final version properly) they added real time shadows for enemies (not really real time...but I can see the shadows of enemies lances move when they attack)...but not for characters? (on iPad 3 there aren't, also res is higher on iPad 4 for characters).
Arrows have a shadows too....but I can't see the sword and staff shadows.

No biggie, but just curious.

BTW...about graphics.
I've read any sort of (legit) moaning aboyt Warhammer Quest but...am I the only one who is absolutely in LOVE with the graphics????
That detail, those bloodsteins, those shields, those spells!!!!
I still spend minutes just staring at the graphics, expecially in front of the target room...I zoom out a biut and follow my trail of blood till the entrance.

Weird, I know :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have a question about Warhammer Quest. I obtained a "lightning fire ring" and equipped it on a character. It appears in my inventory list during battle which makes me think its a consumable item? Is this the case?

I also have a "grey college hat" for my wizard which also appears to be a consumable item?

How can such things be consumable? Does this imply wearing these items confers no benefits. The ring says 5-30 fire damage whereas the hat says +3 Max Wounds and Power Store 4-6.

I'm confused as other RPGs I have experience of tend to treat clothes/jewellery and wearable non-consumable items.

Additionally, I'm only a few quests in but are they all "go to the end of the dungeon" and that's it? I was hoping for doors to unlock, items to find and use in other parts of the dungeons, chests to loot. I suppose I was expecting a turn-based Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance style game.

The item may have a use effect. Without seeing the exact item in game, I couldn't tell you.

And regarding how quests end like that...The game is more of a D&D style adventure, here the story telling side of the completion is what drives it. In the board game, there were some dungeons we played that involved keys, switches, torches (those were misery hahaha), etc. I haven't played enough to see how those are handles in this port, but hopefully some of that does exist!

E: And no iPad 4...I'm still rocking an iPad 2. I might upgrade to a 5 when they come out with it. I probably could sell my 32 gig 2 for enough to get a 16 gig 4 for cheap, but I imagine I'm close enough to a 5 to wait. :p

PittaGAF

Somewhere there should be written that they are consumable in the sense you can use them ONCE per dungeon.
As soon as you see the light of the sun, they 'replenish' their power.
I recall I read it somewhere in game (with different words but that was the meaning).

They aren't consumables like the potions...in the menu they have a 1 (or a small dot) near them.

Yes, it's how it is supposed to be.
There are more scripted red dungeons in late quests and in the expansion, but probably not what you were expecting.

am I the only one who is absolutely in LOVE with the graphics????
That detail, those bloodsteins, those shields, those spells!!!!

I only have an ipad 2, but the graphics are really great. I especially appreciate the attention to detail on screens like the map or towns and was often surprised by great work where it wasn't exactly required.

Clearly there was a lot of love that went into that aspect.

LevelNth

Banned
In a 7 day period iOS is getting Phoenix Wright 1, 2 and 3, KOTOR and the next Kingdom Rush.

It is seriously a shame so many on this board still shit on this platform, IMO it is far and away the best going right now.

Oh and btw, all three of those games cost $35. Combined.

I've read so many hilarious things (on TA forums) this morning I'm not sure what to think anymore.
One complained to no end, eyes probably red in rage at the IAP rpesence, he had to pay gold to train his character and he was robbed in a random encounter.
!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am I understanding this correctly? The consumable IAP gets "stolen" by the game? In other words, I could pay $29.99 for the 60,000 gold pack, and then while in game, the game decides to steal, say 30,000 of the gold I just paid for? If I don't spend the gold fast enough, is it possible that the developers game could steal the whole 60,000 gold I purchased with real money?

If that's the case, my eyes would be red with rage too.

I'm totally expecting he will moan about having actually to PLAY the game to acquire XPs to level up....
If my understanding of his complaint is correct, your logic is taking a nonsensical leap.

PittaGAF

-I wish there was a game speed option or let me toggle the fast-forward button instead of pressing and holding.

Hmmmm do you mean when it's enemies turn?
Because that's how it works for me.
I press the button (just once) and it becomes all fast forwarded till I press it again.
But I problably didn't understand what do you meant.

It's probably in the rules:

-Experience seems to be based on killing blows. I really dislike experience systems like this.

Yes it work so.
One of the thing I try to do is leaving the kill blow to the less leveled characters, but this come with some risks...because you can miss and be ambushed.
Happened to me countless times (not to mention hardcore).
I think it adds flavor and decision making, but I see your point.

It's probably just me:

-My marauder just hit level six and I've done four of the story quests. The game is offering little resistance. Did I over level? I probably over leveled. I didn't understand that the side dungeons were infinite up front and my OCD kicked in. Then I figured out that the side dungeons randomized loot cards that are visible before you visit. I just can't say no to loot. Did I mention that loot upgrades are displayed on your character models? I love that! No seriously, am I grinding too much? Is this the type of game I should be clearing in a few hours instead of trying to build up my characters? I guess there is always hardcore mode.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!
During beta I hit level 6 with more or less all party at last expansion red dungeon.
I'm surprised you hit level 6 so early!!!
But I played as I would have played the roleplay game...so I did the red dungeons, white dungeons only if I wanted to travel the map and discover settlements, or if I saw a really cool item...but generally I left the white ones for later.
How many hours did it take?
Yes, I think you will be pretty overpowered for the rest of the game...but there are always black dungeons and harcore :p

I thought it was just me being more experienced, but I noticed they (MAYBE) decreased the difficulty and increased cool loot.
I know some asked to decrease difficulty during beta so I dunno (persoanlly I asked to increase it).

Hardcore mode still slaughter me around level 3.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Am I understanding this correctly? The consumable IAP gets "stolen" by the game? In other words, I could pay $29.99 for the 60,000 gold pack, and then while in game, the game decides to steal, say 30,000 of the gold I just paid for? If I don't spend the gold fast enough, is it possible that the developers game could steal the whole 60,000 gold I purchased with real money?

If my understanding of his complaint is correct, your logic is taking a nonsensical leap.

Back in our group days, we had an adventure where there was a firestorm that melted ALL of our gold. Thankfully, my character Billy the Warrior Priest wasn't able to make it that night. He retained all of his gold. :)

But yes, traveling is the worst and most dangerous thing in WHQ. You can (and will) lose money, items, and sometimes even characters. It's awesome.

deim0s

@PittaGAF
White/red dungeon? Can you explain or they're difficulty type for a dungeon?

And regarding how quests end like that...The game is more of a D&D style adventure, here the story telling side of the completion is what drives it. In the board game, there were some dungeons we played that involved keys, switches, torches (those were misery hahaha), etc. I haven't played enough to see how those are handles in this port, but hopefully some of that does exist!

I've encountered a room one that popped out a description of the place/event. I dont really know if there's a trigger tile or some scripting going on.

On hardcore WHQ:
If a character die... kinda obvious I cannot have say two Priests in a party. Would the next character generated will have random name and stats aside from abilities?

Speaking of losing characters... My LVL 1 Priest squints when swinging his hammer and for some reason got critted by a bat - herbalism(?) ability from the Elf killed him instead of healing him. Love this game!

Back in our group days, we had an adventure where there was a firestorm that melted ALL of our gold. Thankfully, my character Billy the Warrior Priest wasn't able to make it that night. He retained all of his gold. :)

But yes, traveling is the worst and most dangerous thing in WHQ. You can (and will) lose money, items, and sometimes even characters. It's awesome.
Seriously? I was hoping I was misunderstanding something, but if that's the case, it's bullshit of the highest order. I'm not buying a consumable that the developers can steal from me.

krYlon

I suppose I was expecting a turn-based Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance style game.

You have played Avernum right? Thats basically a fully fledged RPG with tactical turn based combat.

Lol, I hadnt thought about that, thats frickin hilarious.

Seriously? I was hoping I was misunderstanding something, but if that's the case, it's bullshit of the highest order. I'm not buying a consumable that the developers can steal from me.

I know what you are saying, but really stealing gold is part of the game...so if you are buying a consumable then it is just really letting you take part in that aspect of the experience. To me it is the same as purchasing a health potion that can be used up by an enemy attacking you in some sort of bullshit way.

Not that I like IAPs I hasten to add, but buying any sort of consumable is never going to end well (if you need to spend money to advance, why are you playing such a poorly designed game in the first place?). If you do it you are pretty much asking for that money to be flushed away.

Where I think IAPs will really get fun is when you add other human players into the mix. Watch the sparks fly when you can grief people and cost them the items they just spent real money on.

Minsc

Gold Member

I don't really think the game is balanced with the intention of buying IAP gold. I only played a few missions, but I saw the initial complaint about stuff taking away ~200-300 gold, well the crap loot I get from a single room can be worth more than that alone (and there's a dozen rooms in a single dungeon). I'm sure later on you're probably getting 1,000s of gold per dungeon.

The other IAPs (missions/characters) can't be lost, and add more variety to the core game, new tilesets to mix up the graphics, and so on.

PittaGAF

He actually moaned that after getting XP to level up, he had to PAY for the training grounds.
So he actually had to play to raise XP and play to get gold.
He saw the iap gold buy button and went raging, thinking it was something similar to, let's say, Dungeon Hunter 4.
He didn't buy anything, nor lose any real money.

And the 'rob event' is at most 1000 if I recall well (when you are really high level).

I suppose, instead of playing, one could buy some iap gold, go back and forth between two settlements, and wait for the rob event (out of many) to kick in till he deplete all his gold.

It's just how it's supposed to work.

But hey...as I said before...one could see this shady, thinking it was done on pourpose, and avoid the game.

Personally, in over 60 hours I was robbed twice, maybe I lost 500 gold in total...and I had over 90K gold pieces.
Sure...it burns when you have just leveled up, low on money, and going to a settlement to the training grounds you are robbed...but it's how it is supposed to be. (I would never, ever buy consumable iaps in any game).

chris121580

With all this conversation about Warhammer, I think it should have it's own thread. The thread has been nothing but Warhammer discussion the past few pages. Not that it's a bad thing by any means but I think that's enough to go in it's own thread for discussion

PittaGAF

@PittaGAF
White/red dungeon? Can you explain or they're difficulty type for a dungeon?

I've encountered a room one that popped out a description of the place/event. I dont really know if there's a trigger tile or some scripting going on.

On hardcore WHQ:
If a character die... kinda obvious I cannot have say two Priests in a party. Would the next character generated will have random name and stats aside from abilities?

Speaking of losing characters... My LVL 1 Priest squints when swinging his hammer and for some reason got critted by a bat - herbalism(?) ability from the Elf killed him instead of healing him. Love this game!

'Color' dungeon: the color of the icon of the dungeon in the world map.

Red dungeons: main quests...generally 1-2 per settlements (they have some level requirement as an advice)
White dungeons: the ones you find along the way, randomized.
Black dungeons: I won't say :p

On hardcore dead character are dead, but in settlement you can recruit a new one (same class).
BEWARE: if a character dies on harcore, he lose EVERY OBJECTS HE POSSES (YES EVEN THE ONES BOUGHT WITH EVENTUAL GOLD IAPS).
IF ALL DIE, YOU LOSE ALL THE STASH.

Same class means same initial stats...the progress can be different (the skills you get levelling up are random in many cases).

Li Kao

The other IAPs (missions/characters) can't be lost, and add more variety to the core game, new tilesets to mix up the graphics, and so on.

Speaking of which, I would like some infos on how the expansion works. Minsc speaks of new tilesets and I always thought those were Reikland-only, could the expansion's tileset be used by the base game dungeons ?
And Reikland, I assumed given its geographical situation on the map it was sort of an endgame buy, should I give in sooner ?

Still dumbfounded by some design choices, but there is no denying that the game is largely engaging enough to finish and expand.

dream

Is Warhammer Quest hard as balls or am I just completely stupid? 1:30 in and I still can't beat the first red quest...

sheaaaa

In a 7 day period iOS is getting Phoenix Wright 1, 2 and 3, KOTOR and the next Kingdom Rush.

It is seriously a shame so many on this board still shit on this platform, IMO it is far and away the best going right now.

Oh and btw, all three of those games cost $35. Combined.

Other than the new Kingdom Rush those are ports though, albeit enhanced in the case of the Phoenix Wright games.

Strange to use those as examples of the platform's superiority over others, when something original and compelling like Warhammer Quest hit this week as well.

That's the kind of experience that would draw someone like me who has played KOTOR and most of the PW games on Xbox, PC and DS.

Li Kao

Is Warhammer Quest hard as balls or am I just completely stupid? 1:30 in and I still can't beat the first red quest...

Hmm, no, I don't think you're stupid ^^
Apart from the foggy mechanics that I can see making the game harder than it is... WHQ is not kidding sometimes. Level 1 was a hard time for me, you've got the always present risk of fucking ambushes, and boss are beastly.
That being said, I wouldn't say the difficulty curve is a mess, but things can change pretty drastically with some xp and loot. My team of lvl 2-3 these days treats white dungeons like its a nice ride to weaklings land and free xp. The difficulty difference is not surprising though, having a character go from 1 attack/turn to 2 attacks/turn means the world.

Still I have every confidence that the game is about to send some super tough mob my way sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom