• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

PittaGAF

WHAT????!!!!!!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't belive I'm the only one that used the bandages on my first fallen comrade.

But yes...when someone falls down, you have till the end of the turn to cure him.
With magical means (spells, scrolls or potions if you are near) you always succeed.
With other means you have a chance to fail.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
NeoGAF seems to be rather spiteful across the board towards their hobby. Game Journos, companies, developers, publishers. So much hate, no matter what is brought up.

Shit just look at the Xbox reaction. Half of the people sound like paid Sony viral marketers, and the other half sound like they wanted to hate it no matter what was announced. And iOS always gets a shitty deal, cos we're all hipsters or something.

Vince51

Neo Member
I can't belive I'm the only one that used the bandages on my first fallen comrade.

But yes...when someone falls down, you have till the end of the turn to cure him.
With magical means (spells, scrolls or potions if you are near) you always succeed.

Thanks for the confirmation!

I juggled my berserker for 3 turns doing this while chipping away at a boss the entire time. I won and he lived but it was touch and go every single round. For every time my warriors chain 3-4 deathblows there seems to be a turn where all 4 whiff!

PittaGAF

I know this will (POSSIBLY, it's not a given) make many of you happy.

Hi,

Thank you for getting in contact and thank you for your feedback.

We’ve had several comments from players regarding inventory access via portrait mode. This is something we are discussing and we hope to address the issue in an update.

Thank you for downloading Warhammer Quest, and despite this issue we hope you enjoy the game.

- The Rodeo Games Team

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think you guys are taking it too personal. Pretty much every platform has its subgroup of fans and then if you go into random threads saying Halo/Uncharted roxxxx you'll get some snipes sure.

explodet

I've been a game enthusiast for almost all my life. And while I'm not big huge into iOS gaming - I currently work for a company that makes iOS/Android games. It's changing my perspectives about the different platforms.

While GAF may be cynical about games, I'm starting to realize they're REALLY cynical about mobile gaming.
A part of me can't blame them, when they see a title like Contra Evolution.

PFD

I'm downloading KOTOR when I get home tonight cause I only finished it once when it first came out.

Next up I want Mass Effect 1. I mean, it's Unreal engine. Should be doable, right? (looks at XCOM)

2 and 3 would never work with touch controls, because they are essentially 3rd person shooters. But 1 is more of an RPG.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been a game enthusiast for almost all my life. And while I'm not big huge into iOS gaming - I currently work for a company that makes iOS/Android games. It's changing my perspectives about the different platforms.

While GAF may be cynical about games, I'm starting to realize they're REALLY cynical about mobile gaming.
A part of me can't blame them, when they see a title like Contra Evolution.

I have to laugh because as a board-game fan there's really nothing even close to mobile on any other platform, including PC.

wrowa

Shit just look at the Xbox reaction. Half of the people sound like paid Sony viral marketers, and the other half sound like they wanted to hate it no matter what was announced. And iOS always gets a shitty deal, cos we're all hipsters or something.

"I don't like people who don't share my opinion!" :p

explodet

I have to laugh because as a board-game fan there's really nothing even close to mobile on any other platform, including PC.
Hey, there's always Settlers of Catan for PS3!
(blech)

Seriously though, I always preferred meatspace board gaming myself. Although I'm surprised PC board gaming isn't bigger, as well. Closest thing might be the browser-based versions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey, there's always Settlers of Catan for PS3!
(blech)

Seriously though, I always preferred meatspace board gaming myself. Although I'm surprised PC board gaming isn't bigger, as well. Closest thing might be the browser-based versions.

I do a game night every week at work, as well as play in Netrunner tournaments. But being able to play games like Carcassonne, Ascension, Summoner Wars, Neuroshima Hex, and now Eclipse asynchronously is just an unparalleled experience. IRL I would play, what, maybe a couple games of Carc per year? Same for Ascension. And yet in each app I've played over 500. And now Eclipse isn't a game reserved only for those rare times when you can get 4-6 people together for a single game for 3+ hours, it's something I play every single day. Totally different experiences, both with merit.

explodet

Oh for sure, board gaming lends itself so well to mobile because of factors like the readily available online and the portability lends itself well to asynchronous gameplay because it's always within arms reach.

Not to mention there are games with a billion tokens and obtuse rules which in lots of cases can be handled so much better by a CPU (I'm looking in your direction, Fantasy Flight).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh for sure, board gaming lends itself so well to mobile because of factors like the readily available online and the portability lends itself well to asynchronous gameplay because it's always within arms reach.

Not to mention there are games with a billion tokens and obtuse rules which in lots of cases can be handled so much better by a CPU (I'm looking in your direction, Fantasy Flight).
Ascension is seriously hard to play IRL after you've played it in the app. All that shuffling and way more accounting than the app makes you feel like there is.

krYlon

I guess I just thought you would need something special like a phoenix down lol. But hey if all they need are some bandages then thats fine by me but this sort of stuff really needs to be explained, theres no excuse.
Luckily, its just meant lost experience points and its only happened a couple of times. With this knowledge, I think the game will probably be too easy now, its already getting pretty easy as it is. Maybe I should switch to hardcore.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This talk of board games on non iOS devices got me thinking.. I played Carcassone on XBLA but another XBLA title I really liked back in the day was UNO. Then I started wondering why I hadn't played UNO on iOS.. then I realized.. the official UNO game is ported by Gameloft.

:/

Top In-App Purchases

Coin Pack 3£2.99
Coin Pack 1£0.69
Coin Pack 4£6.99
Coin Pack 2£1.49
Coin Pack 5£13.99
Coin Pack 7£34.99
Coin Pack 6£20.99

It's really one of those games that I think needs IAPs..

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Since everyone else is chiming in, here's my WHQ thoughts so far -

The archer is a fucking BEAST. Melee attack AND ranged in the same turn?? Fuck yes! I guess this'll level out a little bit when I get to be a higher level and my warriors do more damage, but so far my archer is kicking ass and taking names.

I spent a good five mins just moving the camera around and watching the light reflect off broken floor tiles, that's neat.

After playing so much Hunters I kinda wish there was an option to hold steady and defend. But if it wasn't in the original game I don't mind too much.

The winds of magic system is pretty neat, although I can't tell why some spells are inaccessible even when I have enough points. I like how it makes sense from a fiction standpoint though, and the twist that if you fail to summon the winds you get ambushed is pretty cool.

It's absolutely beautiful to look at.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
omg, Rodeo games are based just down the road from me in Guildford, Surrey. I wonder if I'd be allowed to go to their offices and say hi? Maybe if I take booze... I want me a beta tester spot dammit

Anno

I wish my archer was a beast =( She seems cursed compared to my other characters. My Ironbreaker, though, that guy is a baller.

Edit: Also if you didn't notice you can give you Marauder a bow if you want a second character with ranged/melee attacks.

Li Kao

The winds of magic system is pretty neat, although I can't tell why some spells are inaccessible even when I have enough points.

Second time I read this interrogation about greyed out spells. I don't want to be the one who knows all better than everybody and that's maybe a totally false guess, but aren't you talking about the shadow dagger spell ? If so, it is a spell only usable on contact and so it is only accessible when on an ennemy adjacent square.

heringer

Since everyone else is chiming in, here's my WHQ thoughts so far -

The archer is a fucking BEAST. Melee attack AND ranged in the same turn?? Fuck yes! I guess this'll level out a little bit when I get to be a higher level and my warriors do more damage, but so far my archer is kicking ass and taking names.

I spent a good five mins just moving the camera around and watching the light reflect off broken floor tiles, that's neat.

After playing so much Hunters I kinda wish there was an option to hold steady and defend. But if it wasn't in the original game I don't mind too much.

The winds of magic system is pretty neat, although I can't tell why some spells are inaccessible even when I have enough points. I like how it makes sense from a fiction standpoint though, and the twist that if you fail to summon the winds you get ambushed is pretty cool.

It's absolutely beautiful to look at.

Marauder can also use a bow and do melee + ranged in the same turn.

Game is fun, good controls, looks nice... but it's a one trick pony. Very repetitive and after a while all the dungeons start to look samey. Not a lot of depth (Hunters is way deeper), not a lot of enemy variation either, so far. There's just not much to the game. It's also very easy.

Feels like a mobile game, which is fair for the price, I guess.

bender

What time is it?
Hmmmm do you mean when it's enemies turn?
Because that's how it works for me.
I press the button (just once) and it becomes all fast forwarded till I press it again.
But I problably didn't understand what do you meant.

For some reason it makes me press and hold the button. Maybe I'm just stupid. That's probably it.

How many hours did it take?

I'm about seven in. I think approaching it as a character building RPG is a bad move.

Equip a bow on your marauder. :)

So very satisfying! Is the Ironbreaker the Dwarf? Mines pretty crappy, always missing.

Serves his purpose as a meat shield if nothing else.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I wish my archer was a beast =( She seems cursed compared to my other characters. My Ironbreaker, though, that guy is a baller.

Edit: Also if you didn't notice you can give you Marauder a bow if you want a second character with ranged/melee attacks.

Oh that's funny, I've had a couple of occasions where my archer has had a killstreak killing four enemies around her and then using the bow to finish off the last guy. So very satisfying! Is the Ironbreaker the Dwarf? Mines pretty crappy, always missing. My big warrior guy is fairly good, and my mage is pretty reliable too. But it's my archer I go to when shit gets real.

Just finished the first bit of the minstrel quest, that was unexpected! I like the twists the story is throwing up so early, it's quite well told and is much better than I was expecting. These games are usually so simple and cliched.

Pachimari

I didn't know Blitz Brigade were out. It should have been in the OP. The core controls and gameplay is fantastic, apparently let down by IAP and lack of content.

eliochip

I've been playing Undercroft (free) lately and it's pretty addicting. I've never played SMT games but this makes me want to get the new one that's coming out for 3DS

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Second time I read this interrogation about greyed out spells. I don't want to be the one who knows all better than everybody and that's maybe a totally false guess, but aren't you talking about the shadow dagger spell ? If so, it is a spell only usable on contact and so it is only accessible when on an ennemy adjacent square.

Yeah, it was the Shadow Daggers, I realised just after I posted :p

Marauder can also use a bow and do melee + ranged in the same turn.

Game is fun, good controls, looks nice... but it's a one trick pony. Very repetitive and after a while all the dungeons start to look samey. Not a lot of depth (Hunters is way deeper), not a lot of enemy variation either, so far. There's just not much to the game. It's also very easy.

Feels like a mobile game, which is fair for the price, I guess.

For some reason it makes me press and hold the button. Maybe I'm just stupid. That's probably it.

I'm about seven in. I think approaching it as a character building RPG is a bad move.

Equip a bow on your marauder. :)

Ooooh, purchasing a bow at the next opportunity.

Hmmm maybe we should have an OT for this. Pitta? You're our resident fanboy :p

colinp

Banned
It doesnt say anything of the sort in the journal. Next time I play, i'll test it out... if someone goes down. It's a good a thing I wasn't playing hardcore, I would have really been pissed off.

I saved my dwarf last night doing this. I was surprised it worked but didn't realize it was such a crazy unknown thing, hah. I just decided to try because I could.

I don't think WHQ needs a new thread, does it? This is an iOS game and iOS thread, what's the point if we can't talk about the games we're playing on it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sorry to bombard with WHQ stuff, but damn...Did 4 more quests and have fallen in love. Challenge is pretty good, too. I do wish stats were better explained, though. Like my +5 strength potions...I'm not sure how useful that is without opening my physical rulebook, which sort of sucks.

SteveWD40

The combat is just so satisfying, everything feels heavy. Love the events and flavour text as well, very DnD. I named my party Acquisitions Inc. which I nicked from the penny arcade dungeons and dragons group...

putarorex

I really like Warhammer Quest from the two hours I played. My only complaint is that the random encounters get out of hand sometimes (I think they are random encounters). I couldn't advance beyond one room in the middle of dungeon and ended up dead, because I was basically getting attacked by new mobs every time I ended a turn. They would throw goblin archers at the end of an hallway back where I came from, so I would move my warriors to kill them and then get attacked again once my warriors were back in the room. I also get a series of bad dice rolls every once in a while--miss after miss.

Anno

Weird that your guys and mine are so different. I don't really have anything about a normal green item for either dude, but your archer is awesome, my dwarf is awesome, and each are the opposite. Odd. Guess it just comes down to those dicerolls.

PittaGAF

Sorry to bombard with WHQ stuff, but damn...Did 4 more quests and have fallen in love. Challenge is pretty good, too. I do wish stats were better explained, though. Like my +5 strength potions...I'm not sure how useful that is without opening my physical rulebook, which sort of sucks.

It's explained in the wounds section of the journal (in words, they do not expose it in a math formula, ever...I suppose for a precise choice too, debatable, but still...).

Strenght just add to the number of wounds you can inflict (strictly for Melee weapons).
So you'll want to save that Strenght potion for a particularly 'high wounds' enemy (tipically a Troll or a Warlord).

It's nice to see people finally appreciating the game and falling in love with it.
As I said...don't 'overthink' too much in the start about rules and such...the game is very easy (in the first half at least) so even if you do something wrong it's not a tragedy...it's experience :)
Just sink in the Old World and enjoy the ride!

I can't wait to see the latest dungeons again!!!
(game is really easier on the final build....I feel exp is too generous....last beta build,which was already made easier, was like playing the red quests 1 level under the adviced one, I just tried....not sure why they did this).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I really like Warhammer Quest from the two hours I played. My only complaint is that the random encounters get out of hand sometimes (I think they are random encounters). I couldn't advance beyond one room in the middle of dungeon and ended up dead, because I was basically getting attacked by new mobs every time I ended a turn. They would throw goblin archers at the end of an hallway back where I came from, so I would move my warriors to kill them and then get attacked again once my warriors were back in the room. I also get a series of bad dice rolls every once in a while--miss after miss.

At the start of your hero phase (but before the Winds of Magic roll I think...), there is a chance that a random event will occur. Ambush, snakes, floor spikes, doors lock, etc. That's how the board game worked, so it's likely the same. They may have removed some of the mega dick events (such as the doors locking + sand pouring in from the ceiling + black orcs), but things can get out of hand if you're unlucky!

@Pitta - Is the expansion worth it?

PittaGAF

My Dwarf is underlevelled now, he just can't hit for shit. I think I need more toughness for him.

Thoughness is for getting less wounds when hit.
To hit enemies you need to raise your weapon ability (just leveling up, plus some rare objects).
Strenght is for dealing more damage (in Melee).

PittaGAF

Weird that your guys and mine are so different. I don't really have anything about a normal green item for either dude, but your archer is awesome, my dwarf is awesome, and each are the opposite. Odd. Guess it just comes down to those dicerolls.

Consider that the same class character can be pretty different in different playthroughs (different leveled up stats and skills) too.
An Elf with hypnosis or herbal lore skills is pretty different from an elf who got the hawkeye skill.
This randomization adds flavor to the game, because you have to adapt your strategies everytime.
New characters add that too.

Anno

Consider that the same class character can be pretty different in different playthroughs (different leveled up stats and skills) too.
An Elf with hypnosis or herbal lore skills is pretty different from an elf who got the hawkeye skill.
This randomization adds flavor to the game, because you have to adapt your strategies everytime.
New characters add that too.

Oh, crazy, I didn't realize they were randomized skills. Maybe my dwarf just got lucky then. 'Cause my elf seems to have good rolls so far and still is kinda meh =(

PittaGAF

@Pitta - Is the expansion worth it?

IMHO yes, it's better than the core campaign with a much tighter story, and latest dungeons are much more scripted (so if you like bad events happening to you....:p).
They are pretty high level too (at least in the beta).

As it adds a piece of the world connected to the Stirland you can play it immediately just exploring. Or you can buy it if you like the last dungeon of the core game and then fast travel there. (last dungeon gives you an idea of what to expect, but I do not want to spoil the fun).

Plus, you visit Boghenafen and Altdorf...so it's a plus for people that think that The Enemy Within is the greatest campaign ever published (like me :) )

RustyO

omg, Rodeo games are based just down the road from me in Guildford, Surrey. I wonder if I'd be allowed to go to their offices and say hi? Maybe if I take booze... I want me a beta tester spot dammit

They are across the road from a pub. Invite them for a pint!

RustyO

Another vote for a Warhammer Quest OT. Better get cracking PittaGAF :)

This was basically my experience as well... initial impressions are pretty meh at the moment.

Did the first red dungeon I came across (Ministrels Misery or something) and got to what I considered a bug as I couldn't advance past a point / to the next room.

Wandered all the way back the other way to a dead end; then back to where I was previously and now I can advance!?

Getting trolled by mobs every turn, 6 goblins appearing next to me, 6 goblins at the end of the corridor, and no mana for my wizard (Who is basically useless. His mana is reset via a d6 roll every turn, no?) and an archer who couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 yards.

Kind of frustrating... is that to be expected?

Why can't I use my wizard's spells in WHQ when the bastard clearly has the mana?

If it's 'Shadow Daggers' then that is a melee spell? So you need to be next to them.

But I swear I had the same thing; Wizard has 6 or 10 wind thingy; clear line of site and can't cast 'Shadow Bolt' or whatever its called; so he spends the turn having a ciggie break.

Maybe I should RTFM

This was basically my experience as well... initial impressions are pretty meh at the moment.

Did the first red dungeon I came across (Ministrels Misery or something) and got to what I considered a bug as I couldn't advance past a point / to the next room.

Wandered all the way back the other way to a dead end; then back to where I was previously and now I can advance!?

Getting trolled by mobs every turn, 6 goblins appearing next to me, 6 goblins at the end of the corridor, and no mana for my wizard (Who is basically useless. His mana is reset via a d6 roll every turn, no?) and an archer who couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 yards.

If it's 'Shadow Daggers' then that is a melee spell? So you need to be next to them.

But I swear I had the same thing; Wizard has 6 or 10 wind thingy; clear line of site and can't cast 'Shadow Bolt' or whatever its called; so he spends the turn having a ciggie break.

Maybe I should RTFM

Yes Shadow Bolt w line of sight and still can't cast.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Maybe I should RTFM

It feels a little bit like your 'luck' for a given level (or maybe even the whole game, when you're creating characters?) is predetermined. Maybe try starting the dungeon again or even the entire game? I haven't had anything like that, my mage has mana 90% of the time and I'm not getting pummelled by ambushes all the time.

Kinyou

Really enjoying the Ace Attorney Trilogy. Love that you can save at practically every point in the game (was missing this kind of feature in Ghost Trick) Makes it easy to pick up and play for a few minutes.

Capcom was also surprisingly generous by giving you the first two cases for free. I think it took me about 2-3 hours to finish those.

Only issue is that the art could be better (especially the backgrounds)

RustyO

Recently downloaded Tetris Blitz; and it's ok in a quick spin kind of way. But my word, is it loaded to the hilt with ads and IAP...

Any really good Tetris (or Dr Mario) clones out there? Or is the official EA Tetris the one to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom